PDA

View Full Version : Houston Sports Radio

sandman
04-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Over the last few days it has been impossible to hear sports talk here in Houston without hearing the phrase "Houston is the only Texas team in the playoffs that has won a game so far!" about every 15 minutes.

I'm waiting for them to break out the "Hakeen schooled David Robinson in '95" comments in the next segment. Maybe we will even get a "We were up 2-0 on the Mavs a few years ago" comment. My favorite line so far has been that no team can beat them if Yao and TMac are healthy.

Don't feel bad Dallas fans about planning your parade after the second game of the Finals, because Rockets fans (or at least their media) are doing it after the second game of the first round.

Extra Stout
04-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Switch to 790 in the afternoons. Vandermeer is worthless.

spurs_fan_in_exile
Houston is the bandwagoningest sports town I've ever seen. Back in 05 I got to watch the city throw dirt on the 'Stros grave and then suddenly become "diehard" fans when they managed to get to the World Series.

But you do have to cut Houston sports radio some slack. Since Brad Lidge isn't closing any more they have to find new topics besides, "Lidge blew another save. Is it time to change closers?"

Flopper
What the fuck are you talking about? If you don't like what is being said in the freaking media, then don't listen or watch.

Extra Stout
04-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Houston is the bandwagoningest sports town I've ever seen. Back in 05 I got to watch the city throw dirt on the 'Stros grave and then suddenly become "diehard" fans when they managed to get to the World Series.

But you do have to cut Houston sports radio some slack. Since Brad Lidge isn't closing any more they have to find new topics besides, "Lidge blew another save. Is it time to change closers?"
They aren't so bandwagonish about the Astros now. Ordinary people seem to care even in April now.

Drayton McLane needs to thank Bob McNair for running such a miserable, inept operation that a major Texas city follows baseball over football now.

Extra Stout
04-24-2007, 04:15 PM
What the fuck are you talking about? If you don't like what is being said in the freaking media, then don't listen or watch.
Vandermeer only has a job on 610 because he works for the miserable piece-of-crap football team that plays in Houston.

Palillo is the one to listen to. 790 on your dial.

sandman
04-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Switch to 790 in the afternoons. Vandermeer is worthless.

It's not just Vandermeer. Rich Lord has been getting in his Vince Young man-crush mode over the last few days for the Rockets. I've heard that 790 dropped ESPN and went all local recently, so I'll give them a try.

At least I can get WOAI out in Katy...

sandman
04-24-2007, 04:20 PM

You mean they have run out of gas for their "We passed on Vince Young AND Reggie Bush" topics? I love living here in Houston, but I swear these people will never get over that.

sandman
04-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Vandermeer only has a job on 610 because he works for the miserable piece-of-crap football team that plays in Houston.

Rock and Roll, Houston Texans! :rolleyes

John and Lance in the mornings are much more objective towards the Texans that Vandermeer will ever be.

Extra Stout
04-24-2007, 04:22 PM
You mean they have run out of gas for their "We passed on Vince Young AND Reggie Bush" topics? I love living here in Houston, but I swear these people will never get over that.
They never will get over it, because Vince Young plays in the division, and will annually put a beat-down on the perennially 4-12 worthless excuse for a franchise with which Houston was cursed, in the stadium the taxpayers were bilked to build.

Extra Stout
04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Rock and Roll, Houston Texans! :rolleyes

John and Lance in the mornings are much more objective towards the Texans that Vandermeer will ever be.
John Granato has trouble talking since he had all his teeth removed to facilitate his interview style.

Too bad you live out in Katy and can't pick up Mike & Mike on 97.5 in the morning.

George Gervin's Afro
04-24-2007, 04:25 PM
I like 610..I especially like the Mario Elie hour every Wednesday...

sandman
04-24-2007, 04:27 PM

As opposed to calling them out for ridiculous homer statements?

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-24-2007, 04:28 PM
They never will get over it, because Vince Young plays in the division, and will annually put a beat-down on the perennially 4-12 worthless excuse for a franchise with which Houston was cursed, in the stadium the taxpayers were bilked to build.

If I actually gave a damn about the Texans I've probably still be fuming over that draft fuck up. But hope is on the horizon! They've got a QB who, um, err, uh...wait! He played under Michael Vick! Surely he learned something from that!

At least they tried something. You can't accuse them of fiddling while Rome burns. I think their move was more akin to playing the accordion.

sandman
04-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Makes me glad I'm moving out to Ft Bend Co., unless Uncle Bob and Uncle Drayton can get to me out there too.

sandman
04-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Houston GTG sometime this playoffs? First round on me.

sandman
04-24-2007, 04:34 PM
If I actually gave a damn about the Texans I've probably still be fuming over that draft fuck up. But hope is on the horizon! They've got a QB who, um, err, uh...wait! He played under Michael Vick! Surely he learned something from that!

At least they tried something. You can't accuse them of fiddling while Rome burns. I think their move was more akin to playing the accordion.

The Houston sports community is losing its best mind with Carol Dawson stepping down for the Rockets. Hopefully they won't become as hopelessly inept in the FO as the Texans or Astros, although Tim P. made some decent moves this offseason. Finally.

RonMexico
04-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Over the last few days it has been impossible to hear sports talk here in Houston without hearing the phrase "Houston is the only Texas team in the playoffs that has won a game so far!" about every 15 minutes.

I'm waiting for them to break out the "Hakeen schooled David Robinson in '95" comments in the next segment. Maybe we will even get a "We were up 2-0 on the Mavs a few years ago" comment. My favorite line so far has been that no team can beat them if Yao and TMac are healthy.

Don't feel bad Dallas fans about planning your parade after the second game of the Finals, because Rockets fans (or at least their media) are doing it after the second game of the first round.

Better yet, don't listen to any of it because I can't stand Houston radio... I don't know if you guys heard yet, but Matt Schaub is already a 2008 Pro Bowl QB

degenerate_gambler
04-24-2007, 05:10 PM

and they shouldn't either.

sandman
04-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Better yet, don't listen to any of it because I can't stand Houston radio... I don't know if you guys heard yet, but Matt Schaub is already a 2008 Pro Bowl QB

You mean Mike Schwab? Half the fans here can't say his name right.

I will say this about Houston sports fans, whom I consider great neighbors but horrible frontrunners: They put their money behind the Texans. Waiting lists for PSLs/Season Tickets and near capacity crowds at most games. They keep coming back year after year of getting kicked in the 'nads by an inept FO.

sandman
04-24-2007, 05:14 PM
and they shouldn't either.

Why? Continual bitching isn't going to put Vince or Reggie in a Texans uniform. They are not going to have a draft "do over". Live with it.

theMUHMEshow
04-24-2007, 08:57 PM
I have been streaming some houston and dallas sports talk over the past few days...

What is a good SA station?>

Roxsfan
04-24-2007, 09:44 PM

who gives a shiit what they say, move to san antonio and stfu :smokin

easjer
04-24-2007, 09:46 PM
SFIE and I might be interested in a get together, but tomorrow is definitely out. Maybe this weekend?

I don't mind Vandemeer, but I know next to nothing about football. I've got diehard Astros fans in my office who bandwagons the Rockets, and a couple of Dallas sports fans. So it's never dull. I've heard a lot this week so far about how Houston/SA in the Conf. Finals would be great because not only did Dallas lose, but SA will too (because of Yao and McGrady, naturally, but it's also a great time to bring up '95).

I'm jealous that you get WOAI, sandman. I hate having to listen to other team's commentators via League Pass. Annoying. I will say that Houston was pretty supportive of both SA and Dallas in the last two years at their Finals runs. At least my radio station (not Sports radio) was, which was sort of nice.

Roxsfan
04-24-2007, 09:47 PM

yeah the Houston Texans are not as good as the San Antonio OHH, yeah......you guys don't have the NFL........just a wet dream fantasy of acquiring N.O. Saints :elephant

We also have the Houston Astros which are better than the S.A. OHH, yeah no MLB either. :donkey

Roxsfan
04-24-2007, 09:49 PM

wtf do you care. At least we have THE NFL. :lol

Extra Stout
04-24-2007, 09:50 PM
yeah the Houston Texans are not as good as the San Antonio OHH, yeah......you guys don't have the NFL........just a wet dream fantasy of acquiring N.O. Saints :elephant

We also have the Houston Astros which are better than the S.A. OHH, yeah no MLB either. :donkey
You know, given my rather detailed knowledge of Houston sports radio, you would think a halfway intelligent person might be able to figure out that I live in Houston.

Q.E.D.

sandman
04-24-2007, 09:56 PM

Roxfan, quit being an ass-munch. SA is an Astros market, but you would have known that if you were a real fan. SA is also a Cowboys market, so don't expect people who move here from SA to all of a sudden become diehard Texans fans. If your boss shipped your sorry ass to Dallas, you probably wouldn't become a Cowbos fan. But then again, you are from the band-wagoning, front-running Houston fan base, so you probably would.

sandman
04-24-2007, 09:57 PM
You know, given my rather detailed knowledge of Houston sports radio, you would think a halfway intelligent person might be able to figure out that I live in Houston.

Q.E.D.

"halfway intelligent"... well, that explains it.

Roxsfan
04-24-2007, 09:59 PM

Q.E.D.

who gives a shiit where you live :wtf

btw, you can shove your nerdy quod erat demonstrandum acronym up your .......... :clap

Wow, you have proven that I thought you lived in S.A. and that is incorrect whoop de fawking doo, wow you're so smart Q.E.FawkingD. :rolleyes

Roxsfan
04-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Roxfan, quit being an ass-munch. SA is an Astros market, but you would have known that if you were a real fan. SA is also a Cowboys market, so don't expect people who move here from SA to all of a sudden become diehard Texans fans. If your boss shipped your sorry ass to Dallas, you probably wouldn't become a Cowbos fan. But then again, you are from the band-wagoning, front-running Houston fan base, so you probably would.

of course I know SA is South Dallas........who cares. Say what you want.

Extra Stout
04-24-2007, 10:00 PM
wtf do you care. At least we have THE NFL. :lol
Yes, we indeed have the punchline of the NFL in our fair city. Yay.

Extra Stout
04-24-2007, 10:01 PM
damn that pwnage hurts

Roxsfan
04-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Yes, we indeed have the punchline of the NFL in our fair city. Yay.

Call it what you want. But, we nonetheless have an NFL franchise.

Roxsfan
04-24-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm creative

wow, that's creative.

Roxsfan
04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Ok SA spurs fans I gots no problem with you personally. Do me a favor, beat the nugs tomorrow, k :toast

sandman
04-24-2007, 10:05 PM
SFIE and I might be interested in a get together, but tomorrow is definitely out. Maybe this weekend?

I don't mind Vandemeer, but I know next to nothing about football. I've got diehard Astros fans in my office who bandwagons the Rockets, and a couple of Dallas sports fans. So it's never dull. I've heard a lot this week so far about how Houston/SA in the Conf. Finals would be great because not only did Dallas lose, but SA will too (because of Yao and McGrady, naturally, but it's also a great time to bring up '95).

I'm jealous that you get WOAI, sandman. I hate having to listen to other team's commentators via League Pass. Annoying. I will say that Houston was pretty supportive of both SA and Dallas in the last two years at their Finals runs. At least my radio station (not Sports radio) was, which was sort of nice.

I was thinking something a little deeper in the playoffs. I just finished up the school semester this weekend, so I am really behind on the honey-do list. Plus I start a new job next week (hello, O&G Industry!) and have the big 1-5 with the Sandbabe coming up, so it would need to be WCSF or WCF, assuming that we get that far. Of course, all the local sports joints should be cleared out by the end of the first round. Houston is up 2-0, so that means a first round exit for sure.

And I would have to agree that Houstonians want to see Texas succeed and do pull for other Texas teams. Again, great neighbors, love living in Katy, but this love/hate relationship swings they have with the home teams get old after a while.

Extra Stout
04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Call it what you want. But, we nonetheless have an NFL franchise.
Great. Thus giving Detroit Lions fans the opportunity to reflect that it could be worse.

And San Antonio won't get to join the club anytime soon because it still doesn't have the demographics to support it. Boo hoo.

Nevertheless, city smack is for preadolescents, even in the event you could target it toward actual residents of the city in question.

Extra Stout
04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Ok SA spurs fans I gots no problem with you personally. Do me a favor, beat the nugs tomorrow, k :toast
Dispose of the Jazz quickly and rest up for Dallas.

jmard5
04-24-2007, 10:08 PM

With pleasure.

Roxsfan
04-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Dispose of the Jazz quickly and rest up for Dallas.

Man, I really hate that the nugs and gsws have such a big head right now..........they need a reality ck on wed. I will be rooting for sa and omg....dallas too. I'm a secondary spurs fans and the nugs beating up on them is well, NOT good. My reason for wanting the mavs to win is that I think the roxs match up better with dallas than w/gswarriors.

I know, man I need to not take things so personally...it's a free country.......man Roxsfan....focus.

sandman
04-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Man, I really hate that the nugs and gsws have such a big head right now..........they need a reality ck on wed. I will be rooting for sa and omg....dallas too. I'm a secondary spurs fans and the nugs beating up on them is well, NOT good. My reason for wanting the mavs to win is that I think the roxs match up better with dallas than w/gswarriors.

I know, man I need to not take things so personally...it's a free country.......man Roxsfan....focus.

Dude, we love the town and the people. But we come from a one-sport town, so you gotta let us have our team loyalty. SA identifies with the Spurs in a way that will never happen in a multi-team city like Houston.

We can all go have a beer when it is all said and done.

easjer
04-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Sandman - meeting in the WCF or Finals would be ideal, since I'm swamped due to work up until May 12. After that we hit the summer stride and both SFIE and I have a lot more freedom.