PDA

View Full Version : Gasol Severely Sprained Ankle doubtfull against spurs

ducks
11-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Gasol Severely Sprained Ankle- Doubtful for Tomorrow
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Pau Gasol sat in the visitor's locker room soaking his right ankle in a bucket of ice.

He intently punched buttons on a cellular phone with video poker lighting up the screen. That was the only game the Grizzlies' forward could play Saturday night while his teammates faced the Golden State Warriors in The Arena.

Gasol severely sprained his right ankle Friday near the end of the Grizzlies' 107-105 loss at Sacramento, and exactly when he'll return to the lineup is uncertain.

The 7-foot Spaniard will undergo extensive tests today and is doubtful for the Grizzlies' game Monday with San Antonio at FedExForum.

Gasol left Sacramento using crutches. He entered The Arena Saturday walking with a noticeable limp.

"I can hardly walk," Gasol said before the final game of the Grizzlies' road trip. "The only reason I didn't use crutches (Saturday) is because they're not my size. I don't know if I stepped on someone or stepped sideways. I just remember twisting it and feeling the pain."

Examined by a doctor after the game, Gasol said he learned that there is a bruise on the interior part of the ankle.

The injury happened with about three minutes left in the fourth quarter of the Sacramento game, according to Gasol. He continued to play but was hampered.

"I just wanted to finish the game," Gasol said. "We worked so hard that game and I wanted to win. I didn't want to come out and let my team down."

Stromile Swift started in place of Gasol against the Warriors. The Grizzlies' offense normally runs through Gasol but will shift focus toward the backcourt until the team's best post player returns.

Griz coach Hubie Brown must now count on more production from Bonzi Wells, Mike Miller, Jason Williams and Earl Watson.

"You take into consideration the amount of times (Gasol) gets double-teamed," Brown said, "and that helps the continuity of the offense."

Expect the Grizzlies to be cautious with Gasol, who signed a six-year, $86 million contract extension during the offseason.

"When you're dealing with one of the star players on your team, what good is short-term gain when you still have 72 games to go?" Brown said. "You have to look at the long haul. You never rush back any player, never mind a quality player."

Gasol is averaging 18.2 points on 55 percent shooting over 30 minutes in the Grizzlies' first nine games. Gasol had played in every regular-season game, except four, over the past three seasons.

He is said to have experienced a similar injury to the same ankle several times in the past.

Gasol, though, vowed not to sit out for the sake of sitting.

"As long as I'm not risking serious injury, I'll be out there," Gasol said. "My mentality hasn't changed at all because I have a big contract. I'm not thinking about protecting myself more. I want to be out there as much as I can because that's the best way to help my team."

Duff McCartney
11-21-2004, 11:28 PM
It's not like it matters...Duncan has owned Gasol since he came in the league. Gasol actually had a good game against the Spurs....when Tim was out with an injury.

T Park
11-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Does nothing but help.

Although, I hope the Spurs bounce back and come back pissed after today's debacle.

ducks
11-21-2004, 11:33 PM
pop will tell them not to take them for granted

FilSpursFan
11-22-2004, 12:22 AM
With Pau and Dirk injured, what do you think will be the outcome of the Spurs' next 2 games?

samikeyp
11-22-2004, 12:56 AM
Damn! I have Gasol on my team!