PDA

View Full Version : ford impresses iverson

ducks
11-26-2003, 12:00 PM
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- T.J. Ford earned a hug from Allen Iverson.

Ford had a season-high nine assists, and Michael Redd scored 26 points, leading the Milwaukee Bucks to a 95-91 victory over the Philadelphia 76ers on Tuesday night.

``I'm a big fan of his and I think I made a new friend,'' said Ford, the first-year point guard from Texas. ``He just told me 'good game' and that we're going to keep in touch. When Iverson gives me respect .... that's why I play the game, and from game to game I think I'm earning respect around the league.

``That's what you want to do, progress every game, so at the end of the season I can say I was better than I was at the beginning.''

Iverson, who led the 76ers with 28 points, was impressed.

``I respect guys that play with their heart and play hard,'' Iverson said. ``I saw that toughness in him. Once he gets more games under his belt, the game will start coming easier to him.''

Joe Smith had 16 points and nine rebounds, Desmond Mason added 13 points, and Tim Thomas had 12 points despite playing only a minute in the fourth quarter after spraining his left ankle.

The 76ers, who had won eight of their previous 10 games in Milwaukee, got 14 points from Derrick Coleman and 12 from Kenny Thomas.

The Bucks won their second straight, evening their record at 7-7.

``We're playing with a lot of confidence right now,'' Ford said. ``That win in Toronto (82-62 on Sunday) really gave us a boost.''

Redd, who was 11-for-22 and almost matched Iverson point for point, also was impressed with Ford.

``He played well tonight and stepped up to the challenge of playing against Iverson,'' Redd said.

The Bucks led by three after three quarters and opened the final quarter with a 9-2 run, capped by a 3-pointer by Damon Jones to make it 81-72. The lead was trimmed to three with 5:24 to play after Iverson scored three field goals, including a 3-pointer, and passed up a breakaway layup to set up Kenny Thomas' dunk.

Milwaukee countered with a 6-1 run on baskets by Smith, Thomas and Ford to take a 91-83 lead with 2:52 left.

The 76ers closed to 91-88 with 1:17 to play before Ford hit two free throws with 47 seconds left.

Redd's shooting got the Bucks started. He had 16 points in the first half to help the Bucks to a 50-43 lead.

``We let Redd get off early and he was hot the rest of the game,'' Kenny Thomas said.

``I thought our lack of defensive intensity hurt us tonight,'' Philadelphia coach Randy Ayers said. ``We've been getting down in games early and it hasbeen killing us.''

Notes

Backup Bucks guard Erick Strickland celebrated his 30th birthday Tuesday. ... The Bucks lead the Eastern Conference in scoring, averaging 94.8 points through 14 games. ... F Glenn Robinson, the No. 1 pick by Milwaukee in the 1994 draft, was placed on the injured list by the 76ers due to a sprained left ankle. ... The 76ers activated Greg Buckner, who played Tuesday. ... Milwaukee C Joel Przybilla sat out with a stomach virus. ... Iverson extendedhis steals streak to 38 games, tops among active players.