PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Raptors Nov. 21 - Grades

timvp
11-22-2004, 03:58 AM
Spurs Collapse, Lose To Raptors
By LJ Ellis
FullSportPress.com

Tim Duncan
In the first half of the game against the Toronto Raptors, Duncan was unstoppable. He scored 21 points as he demolished the Raptors’ defense. The second half was a whole new story. Scoring only five points after halftime, Duncan failed to connect on a field goal in the fourth quarter and missed three crucial free throws. Defensively, he played poorly against Chris Bosh. On numerous occasions, the second-year player drove past Duncan to the basket or was left wide open for shots. The good news for Duncan is the Spurs play the Memphis Grizzlies next, a team he’s always dominated.
GRADE: 73
SEASON: 85.8

Bruce Bowen
While he wasn’t hampered with fouls, Bowen was on the court playing effective ball. In 21 minutes of play, he totaled ten points on 3-6 shooting from the field. Though he failed to record a rebound, assist, steal or block, his defense against Vince Carter and Jalen Rose was dazzling. But after picking up his fourth foul with 9:41 to go in the game, Bowen was sent to the bench. While he was sitting there, Lamond Murray went on to score 11 of his 13 fourth quarter points. If Popovich had to do it over again, he probably would have kept his defensive ace out there.
GRADE: 87
SEASON: 83.8

Rasho Nesterovic
For the 26 minutes he was on the floor, Nesterovic produced at a good clip. He scored eight points on 4-8 shooting, while pulling down 11 rebounds (six of them offensive) and blocking a shot. However, when the Raptors went small in the fourth quarter, the Spurs needed a more mobile bigman on the court. After a lowly effort against the Celtics, it was nice to see Nesterovic rebound with a good performance.
GRADE: 87
SEASON: 85.6

Manu Ginobili
Ginobili played a season-high 37 minutes, but never really was able to find his rhythm. He scored ten points, dished out three assists and corralled two rebounds, yet his fourth quarter play was less than spectacular. He was beat on defense a couple of times and seemed to lack the energy to create much off the dribble. Most likely he was exhausted from playing a season-high in minutes in his third game in four nights, which is why the Spurs’ coaching staff tries to limit him to around 30 minutes an outing.
GRADE: 76
SEASON: 91

Tony Parker
Earlier this season, Parker had back-to-back great defensive games versus Stephon Marbury and Allen Iverson. Against Toronto, Parker didn’t come to play on the defensive end as Rafer Alston torched the Spurs with 20 points, 11 assists and seven rebounds. On the offensive end, Parker wasn’t much better. He hit only 5-15 from the field and missed all four of his three-point attempts. He did tally six rebounds and six assists and was also the only Spur being aggressive in the fourth quarter, but the Spurs need him to start playing well for them to reach a championship caliber level.
GRADE: 72
SEASON: 79.1

Brent Barry
Barry played 27 minutes off the bench with varying results. While he did score eight points, grab six rebounds and rack up three assists, he missed a variety of shots that would have helped seal the game. All nine of his field goal attempts were three-pointers and he only connected on two of those. After shooting over 40% from beyond the arc for the last five seasons, Barry is only hitting 35.2% so far as a Spur. The team needs him to hit more to spread the floor and make it easier for everyone else to operate. Also, Barry’s defense is still a work in progress that the Spurs need him to patch up if he’s going to be playing in fourth quarters.
GRADE: 72
SEASON: 85.3

Robert Horry
The Spurs went to Horry in critical points of the game to help stunt Toronto’s run but it wasn’t enough. Horry played decent, totaling two points, three rebounds and two assists in 17 minutes of playing time. He too had a couple chances to put the Raptors away but missed three of his four shots for the game. Much like last season, it seems as if Popovich is going to employ Horry in fourth quarters against teams who are utilizing a small lineup.
GRADE: 80
SEASON: 83.1

Malik Rose
In 13 minutes of action, Rose didn’t do much to disappoint. He contributed five points, two rebounds and an assist, and was a spark off the bench particularly in the third quarter. In spite of that play, with the Raptors going small and the coaching staff choosing to go with Horry, that left no fourth quarter time for Rose.
GRADE: 86
SEASON: 84.8

Beno Udrih
Udrih had a moderately successful outing, but the Spurs need a bigger spark off the bench while Parker rests. In the last eight games, Udrih has only two assists and has had trouble handling the ball in traffic. He obviously has the potential, but the team needs him to grow into that potential faster.
GRADE: 79
SEASON: 77.9

Devin Brown
While Brown’s defense wasn’t up to his usual standard, the offensive jolt he gave the Spurs was key during the time the Spurs were making their first half comeback. With the Spurs down by ten points, Brown hit a three-pointer to ignite an 11-0 run.
GRADE: 85
SEASON: 83

Karl Mundt
11-22-2004, 05:23 AM
I don't agree with Rasho only getting a grade higher than Malik.
8 points and 11 rebounds (6 offensive) is much better than 5 points and 2 rebounds (0 offensive) even if he played twice as many minutes as Malik did.

Also Duncan had 26 points, 15 rebounds and 3 blocks. Even if he had a bad last quarter he still deserves a 90. He is too often taken for granted even by Spurs fans.

timvp
11-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Rasho and Rose both played pretty well. The reason I took off some points for Rasho is he was doing a poor job guarding the pick and rolls ... forcing Pop to bench him against Toronto's small lineup.

Rose was a big part of the run that put the Spurs ahead. He wasn't perfect, but he was good.

Marcus Bryant
11-22-2004, 04:28 PM
That's something people tend to forget about Rose, he tends to match up well against smaller and quicker teams. He's able to step out on the floor and defend as well as stay inside and throw his muscle around. This is why he's historically done well against the Mavs, for example.

BigVee
11-22-2004, 04:56 PM
How about adding the coaching staff to your evaluation? This game....minus 10.

T Park
11-22-2004, 06:58 PM
The reason I took off some points for Rasho is he was doing a poor job guarding the pick and rolls

in other words, i had to find something to help out my man Rose, because the guy I dont like and the favorite whipping boy of the forum had a great game, so we gotta find a way to even it out.

timvp
11-22-2004, 06:59 PM
in other words, i had to find something to help out my man Rose, because the guy I dont like and the favorite whipping boy of the forum had a great game, so we gotta find a way to even it out.

Watch a damn game and then back to me.

Please tell us how Barry hit big threes against the Sixers again.

Kori Ellis
11-22-2004, 07:00 PM
TPark, stop. Every post is the same crap, accusing people of hating Rasho. Bring more of take than that.

T Park
11-22-2004, 07:02 PM
you focus on me bringing bad takes

while clowns like walton sequ and other bozos post??

Classic....

Kori Ellis
11-22-2004, 07:08 PM
If you don't like it ....

SequSpur
11-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Rasho had a couple of good games recently. Nice take timvp...

:)

T Park
11-22-2004, 07:17 PM
If you don't like it ....

no problem.

Didnt know sequ and walton and the other assholes were in the circle of love.

No problem, I understand politics, I understand Im not the most popular, and I know if you took a poll, 100% would vote me out.

I guess bias is ok, no problemo.

Kori Ellis
11-22-2004, 07:20 PM
There's no circle of love. It's just all you do is repeat over and over and over how everyone hates Rasho. Meanwhile, Rasho has averaged 85.6 in these ratings -- barely under Tim Duncan.

There's not politics and there's no popularity contest. It's a forum. No one makes money off it, and no one takes it seriously. But your negative crap attitude lately of calling out my husband, AHF, Marcus, etc for every post they make is tiring. Bring a real take.

And saying Barry hit all those 3's against Philly doesn't count as a real take -- he was 0-for-5.

timvp
11-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Your boy Rasho has the third highest grade for the season behind Duncan and Ginobili. To call me out about being biased against Rasho is laughable.

T Park
11-22-2004, 07:24 PM
But your negative crap attitude lately of calling out my husband, AHF, Marcus, etc for every post they make is tiring

but yet Marcus putting "ignoring T Park" up everytime I post something,

or Johnny blaze or Mannyisgod, or Iceman's repeated insults about me, before or even if I dont post in a thread saying Carnie, how many tickets for this,.

or that other bullshit is okiedokie.

Never see them reamed for ripping me.

Why?? Circle of love. No problemo.

once again, I understand how it is

Kori Ellis
11-22-2004, 07:27 PM
TPark -- if you hate it here, leave. It's that simple. You used to bring real basketball takes. Those days are long gone. All you do is call out people for bashing your favorites.

For the record, I called out Marcus for doing that "ignoring whoever" thing. You insult those other guys as much as they insult you -- it's a two way street.

Shelly
11-22-2004, 07:28 PM
but yet Marcus putting "ignoring T Park" up everytime I post something,

Kori did tell Marcus to cool it with that shit.

Kori Ellis
11-22-2004, 07:29 PM
The "TPark" part of this thread is now over. Stick to talking about the grades.

Thanks.

SequSpur
11-22-2004, 07:30 PM
As I was saying,

Rasho has impressed me with his game lately. He has drastically improved on his awareness on the court. Not only has he put his shoes on the proper foot, he has pulled down a few rebounds as well.

I am impressed.

How about meeting up for some wings?

T Park
11-22-2004, 07:30 PM
To call me out about being biased against Rasho is laughable

maybe the comments in the past about being soft, Rose deserves the time more, and these comments coming BEFORE the season started, that is what i go off of.

I brought real basketball takes???

Didnt know I was so apreciated....

Shelly, I did see that, but manny and others still get free passes,

and ot be honest, im done talking about it cause fighting the owner of the site does no good to anyone.

T Park
11-22-2004, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE]Rasho has impressed me with his game lately. He has drastically improved on his awareness on the court. Not only has he put his shoes on the proper foot, he has pulled down a few rebounds as well.[QUOTE]

nice to see.

The proper foot is pretty funny lol.

Rasho will have bad games no question, and there will be nights were it looks like he doesnt give a shit or is whooped (ie see game against Celtics)

I have honestly said and always stood by, he would improve this season and that last season was a throw away.

Hmm, someone wrote an article on that too.

But I digress.

I think Rasho's grade might be a tick hi, but what the hell, its all good.

I think Horry deserved a lower grade.

I think Greg Kite couldve played better d and rebounded better than him in the game yesterday.