PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Draft Coverage...

LEONARD
04-27-2007, 08:35 AM
The Ticket in Dallas will have a webcam in the Cowboys "war room"...and they'll have the Cowboys picks before they're announced on television coverage...

Norm Hitzges is great at covering the draft, especially if you're a Cowboys fan...

http://theticket.com/listen.htm

:fro

leemajors
04-27-2007, 09:06 AM
thanks for the link, i work saturdays and watching the draft bores me out of my skull anyway.

degenerate_gambler
04-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Norm Hitzges is great at covering the draft, especially if you're a Cowboys fan...

:fro

Does Hitzges still do Rangers games?

His voice made me cringe.

LEONARD
04-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Norm is supposed to have Adrian Peterson on at 10:30 CT today...

Does Hitzges still do Rangers games?

Nope...

monosylab1k
04-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Norm is supposed to have Adrian Peterson on at 10:30 CT today...

it was so uncomfortable at the end of the interview when Norm went on and on and on about every unfortunate thing that happened in Peterson's life. You could tell Peterson was not comfortable at all discussing it, his "you know" count went through the roof as he fought through those last questions.

As much as I love Norm, there are definitely times when he goes too far in trying to tug at the heartstrings, and lots of times it seems really insincere and exploitative when he does it.

Pugglekicker_21
04-27-2007, 12:03 PM
I like the NBA's draft a lot more. For me, after the big names are gone...

LEONARD
04-27-2007, 01:44 PM
it was so uncomfortable at the end of the interview when Norm went on and on and on about every unfortunate thing that happened in Peterson's life. You could tell Peterson was not comfortable at all discussing it, his "you know" count went through the roof as he fought through those last questions.

As much as I love Norm, there are definitely times when he goes too far in trying to tug at the heartstrings, and lots of times it seems really insincere and exploitative when he does it.

But that's just Norm... :lol

Kevin Blackistone
04-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Some Dallas sportswriter was saying that Jerry Jones told her the Cowboys would like to trade up - possibly to get Peterson. That's exactly what they need, another injury prone running back.

mardigan
04-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Some Dallas sportswriter was saying that Jerry Jones told her the Cowboys would like to trade up - possibly to get Peterson. That's exactly what they need, another injury prone running back.
Only people that havent watched him play would say something like that.
And he did say they were thinking about trading up, but there is no way they get far enough up to get Peterson

Kevin Blackistone
04-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Only people that havent watched him play would say something like that.
And he did say they were thinking about trading up, but there is no way they get far enough up to get Peterson

I watched him play, and I know he has some serious upside. I also know he's been injured just about every year at OU, and his style is that of a power runner. He's not going to be juking people, he's going to be a hard yardage kind of guy, and if he couldn't stay healthy at OU I would be very weary of trading extra picks/ and or players to get this guy. Too much of a risk to sink your draft on.

mardigan
04-27-2007, 02:01 PM
I watched him play, and I know he has some serious upside. I also know he's been injured just about every year at OU, and his style is that of a power runner. He's not going to be juking people, he's going to be a hard yardage kind of guy, and if he couldn't stay healthy at OU I would be very weary of trading extra picks/ and or players to get this guy. Too much of a risk to sink your draft on.
He is worth it 100%. His injury were always fluke ones, like that collarbone injury. He can run you over, juke you, or just run straight past you. Collarbone and ankle injurys wont be keeping anyone from drafting him, especially when you look at what Gore and McGahee have done with much worse injurys than anything he ever had

ducks
04-27-2007, 03:33 PM
The Ticket in Dallas will have a webcam in the Cowboys "war room"...and they'll have the Cowboys picks before they're announced on television coverage...

:froNO THANKYOU

mardigan
04-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Thnks for the link Leo, Cowboys will take Tedd Ginn Jr.

macdude06
04-27-2007, 04:05 PM
the cowboys need to stay where they are at and pick meacham

LEONARD
04-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Thnks for the link Leo, Cowboys will take Tedd Ginn Jr.

Not that it means anything, but Norm doesn't like that pick...

I wouldn't have a big problem with it. He's a little small, but a playmaker. I love draft day...good stuff...

NO THANKYOU

Thanks for chiming in, shitstick...

scott
04-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Goose Gosselin, the year in and year out top mocker, has the Cowboys taking Aaron Ross... bleh.

Surprisingly, he has Peterson going to the Cards.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/042807dnspomockdraft.2ad4086.html

BUMP
04-28-2007, 08:43 PM
i was at OU helping to run Junior Day and i missed Peterson. Where did he go?

leemajors
04-28-2007, 08:45 PM
i was at OU helping to run Junior Day and i missed Peterson. Where did he go?
#7 to minnesota

BUMP
04-28-2007, 09:01 PM
#7 to minnesota

good

i was hoping he'd avoid Arizona and Detroit

BUMP
04-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Marten James from BC is their next choice.

never heard of him to be honest. he's listed as OT. only way he starts is if Colombo cant play and we move Davis to guard. boring draft by the Boys so far. Quentin Moses was the best hybrid LB they had at the time. every1 knew they would go after one. lets just hope he pans out

Kevin Blackistone
04-29-2007, 04:04 AM
Marten James from BC is their next choice.

never heard of him to be honest. he's listed as OT. only way he starts is if Colombo cant play and we move Davis to guard. boring draft by the Boys so far. Quentin Moses was the best hybrid LB they had at the time. every1 knew they would go after one. lets just hope he pans out

I think the Cowboys did a pretty good job on the first day. They managed to get a 2008 1st rounder from perennial cellar dweller Cleveland for basically a third and a 5th, got what Phillips (who does know 3-4 defenses) thinks is going to be an impact OLB, and got a versitile OL who is projected to be able to play either tackle spot. The make or break is going to be the 2nd day - what will they do with those 4th round picks that have garnered them Marion Barber, Chris Canty, and Bradie James over the last couple of years? If they get some comparable value out of those picks - it could be a very fruitful draft hallmarked by the 2 #1's for next season's draft.

samikeyp
04-29-2007, 10:03 AM
I like the James pick....I wasn't sold on the Spencer pick but the more I read about him the more I might change that.

exstatic
04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
He is worth it 100%. His injury were always fluke ones, like that collarbone injury. He can run you over, juke you, or just run straight past you. Collarbone and ankle injurys wont be keeping anyone from drafting him, especially when you look at what Gore and McGahee have done with much worse injurys than anything he ever had
Constant fluke injuries are not flukes.

TheTruth
04-29-2007, 11:40 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/brsox2445/SteveAtwaterhit.gif

Kevin Blackistone
04-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Did Steve Atwater get reincarnated, or am I missing something here?

Kevin Blackistone
04-29-2007, 12:37 PM
The Cowboys draft Washington QB (NNR) and an OT with the 4th rounders. Gotta say I'm a bit surprised with the QB pick, and I guess OT was a big area of concern for them.

samikeyp
04-29-2007, 01:01 PM
The O-Line is a big concern for Dallas, so is another DB who can cover...something the Cowboys have not addressed yet.

leemajors
04-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Stanback's marginal footwork has always led to poor accuracy as a passer. In order to compete for playing time as a quarterback his overall mechanics and decision-making skills must greatly improve. He also comes with durability baggage. However, he possesses good size, a powerful arm and outstanding mobility. If he doesn't make it as a quarterback, Stanback is athletic enough to contribute at wide receiver, running back and/or in the return game. That potential versatility is the reason we grade him higher than many other more polished passers in this year's class.

leemajors
04-29-2007, 01:43 PM
bleh.

samikeyp
04-29-2007, 01:45 PM
A kicker?

Oy.

If they were going to pick a kicker...why not Crosby?

2centsworth
04-29-2007, 02:50 PM
It's obvious Jerry Jones is picking. A QB who can't play, a kicker, and now a FB. Who drafts fullbacks? It's disgusting how bad Jones is in the draft.

mardigan
04-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Im so fucking pissed about this second day, horrible, horrible drafting

Kevin Blackistone
04-29-2007, 06:33 PM
They had it set up well and completely blew it. I wish Jones could just pay Parcells to do the drafting for him every year and evaluate talent.

Horry For 3!
04-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Nick Folk over Mason Crosby?????

WTF!? Fuckin Jerry :pctoss

Mr. Peabody
04-29-2007, 07:45 PM
A kicker?

Oy.

If they were going to pick a kicker...why not Crosby?

Crosby sucked at the Combine. Besides the Cowboys weren't to only team to pick a kicker ahead of Crosby, so the GMs must not have liked him.

scott
04-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Gosselin had Folk rated ahead of Crosby as well... that pick doesn't bother me at all...

And for those people saying you wish Parcells would run our drafts... remember the guy who used a 2nd on Jacob Rogers, a 3rd on Stephen Peterman, and a 4th on Skyler Green? Parcell's draft history with Dallas wasn't exactly stellar.

LEONARD
04-30-2007, 11:26 AM
The Cowboys draft Washington QB (NNR) and an OT with the 4th rounders. Gotta say I'm a bit surprised with the QB pick, and I guess OT was a big area of concern for them.

They picked up Stanback as a WR prospect...

2centsworth
04-30-2007, 01:32 PM
They picked up Stanback as a WR prospect...
I read that, but it's hilarious. They chose an injured QB as a WR ahead of Paul Williams and Mike Walker.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they get more than 2 players from this draft.

mardigan
04-30-2007, 01:50 PM
I read that, but it's hilarious. They chose an injured QB as a WR ahead of Paul Williams and Mike Walker.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they get more than 2 players from this draft.
I disagree, only slightly though. Stanback is a athlete, and the more I read about him the more I like him, he is being compared to a Randle-El type player already, but with better size. Of course I love the Spencer pick, he will help immediately. Martin was a good pick, and he was projected much higher than where we got him. I really like him and Free's being drafted, helps our depth at line right away and prepares them for the future. Folk was by many scouts the best kicker in the draft, and for sure was the best kicker at the combine. I aslo like Anderson the fullback out of UCOnn. He was a former lb/end who was moved to fullback in college. From what ive read he is a dominant lead blocker, had great hands out of the back field, and is a dominant special team player. 4.72 in the 40-yard dash...403-pound bench press...600-pound squat...317-pound power clean...28.5-inch vertical jump...30 ¾-inch arm length...9 3/8-inch hands...Left-handed... 27/31 Wonderlic score. His numbers from the combine. They have highlight reels of most of the players on Cowboys.com, this fullback looks damn good

He could help out all over the field. The corners I dont know if they will be any good, but overall I really liked the draft the Boys had

BeerIsGood!
04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
If Spencer, Marten, and one other player can make the team and contribute, it will be a successful draft. They have to get something nice out of the two firsts next year, whether it be two good players or one big impact player. That would make this year's draft great if they are able to get that done.

mardigan
04-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Damn, Stanback looks dirty in his highlight film

2centsworth
04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
And for those people saying you wish Parcells would run our drafts... remember the guy who used a 2nd on Jacob Rogers, a 3rd on Stephen Peterman, and a 4th on Skyler Green? Parcell's draft history with Dallas wasn't exactly stellar.it wasn't sensational, but he was a stabilizing force. He was more conservative in his approach and picked productive guys rather than long shots like David LeFleur, Shante Carver, Quincy Carter, Kavika Pittman and the list goes on and on.....

Jerry Jones' abysmal record in the draft after the Jimmy Johnson era single handedly set the Cowboys back 10 years.

seriously, what's the difference between Woody Danzler and Stanback?

mardigan
04-30-2007, 03:00 PM
it wasn't sensational, but he was a stabilizing force. He was more conservative in his approach and picked productive guys rather than long shots like David LeFleur, Shante Carver, Quincy Carter, and the list goes on and on.....

Jerry Jones' abysmal record in the draft after the Jimmy Johnson era single handedly set the Cowboys back 10 years.

seriously, what's the difference between Woody Danzler and Stanback?
Stanback is bigger, stronger, faster. Other than that who knows, but from his video I watched and his stats against come pretty good teams, he looks as though he actually has some damn good qb skills as well. I guess we will just have to see, but he looked damn immpressive and is a big boy with speed

2centsworth
04-30-2007, 03:06 PM
I gotta amend what I said about Bill Parcells and the draft. He arguably did a sensational job. Everyone misses on a few prospects, but here's the list of solid picks Bill made the past 3 years:

T. Newman, Al Johnson, Jason Witten, Bradie James, Julius Jones, D. Ware, P. Crayton, M. Spears, M. Barber, C. Canty, Petitti, Ratliff, Reeves. That's a lot of freakin players for 3 drafts.

In the Jerry Jones era there were drafts were the Cowboys got absolutely ziltch.

Look at 1995 as an example: Not one freakin player.

Rnd Pick Ovrall Name College Pos
2 14 46 Sherman Williams Alabama RB
2 27 59 Kendell Watkins Mississippi State TE
2 31 63 Shane Hannah Michigan State G
3 28 92 Charlie Williams Bowling Green DB
4 12 110 Eric Bjornson Washington WR
4 31 129 Alundis Brice Mississippi DB
4 32 130 Linc Harden Oklahoma State LB
5 32 166 Edward Hervey USC WR
5 34 168 Dana Howard Illinois LB
7 28 236 Oscar Sturgis North Carolina DE

2centsworth
04-30-2007, 03:11 PM
looking at the Draft History at http://nflhistory.net/shared/draft1.asp?Team=17&Year=2001. from 1994-2001 the cowboys drafted less than 5 players who amounted to anything. I think they only drafted two pro bowlers during that time period.

Kevin Blackistone
04-30-2007, 04:17 PM
And for those people saying you wish Parcells would run our drafts... remember the guy who used a 2nd on Jacob Rogers, a 3rd on Stephen Peterman, and a 4th on Skyler Green? Parcell's draft history with Dallas wasn't exactly stellar.

Newman, Barber, Jones, James, Ware, Witten, Gurode, Canty...

Sure, he didn't know what he was doing :rolleyes

Nobody picks them at 100% success rate, but he was damn good for the few drafts he oversaw. Pay him to consult on the drafts. Please.

RealEstateDude
04-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Damn, Stanback looks dirty in his highlight film

This one??

70 Yard Bomb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FuC3jnm4TE)

:hat

mardigan
04-30-2007, 06:38 PM
This one??

70 Yard Bomb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FuC3jnm4TE)

:hat
Nope, hadnt seen that, Jesus that guy has an arm
He has one on Cowboys.com that shows how damn fast and elusive he is

mardigan
04-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Man, Ill tell you what, this 7th round corner the Boys picked really sounds nice, they say that injury questions made him slip a little, that and he didnt get invited to the combine

CB Courtney Brown
Height: 6-1
Weight: 205lbs
Position: Cornerback
College: Cal Poly
OVERVIEW
The former wide receiver found a home in the Mustangs secondary in 2003, and then made a remarkable recovery from a left knee injury to establish himself as one of the elite players in the collegiate ranks. Brown proved time and again that he is a stellar shutdown cornerback, as he not only matched the school single-season record for interceptions (seven) in 2005, but he also did not allow any touchdown receptions in his last two years as a starter.

Brown was an All-League defensive back at St. Mary's College High School, where he earned two letters in football as a receiver and defensive back. He also competed in track-and-field, qualifying for the state high school finals. In the classroom, he was a four-year Honor Roll member.

Brown enrolled at Cal Poly in 2002, where he played in eight games as a reserve receiver. He gained 139 yards on nine receptions (15.4 avg), with a long of 50. The following season, Brown shifted to the defensive backfield, starting six of eight games at left cornerback. He played behind Kenny Chicoine during the first two games and then went on to post 16 tackles (15 solos) with two interceptions. He would sit out the final three contests with an ankle sprain.

A left knee anterior cruciate tear in the 2004 season opener against Humboldt State put Brown on the shelf for the rest of the schedule. He returned to action in 2005, shifting to right cornerback, where he was credited with seven interceptions. He earned All-Great West Football Conference first-team honors while totaling 44 tackles (27 solos) and 12 pass deflections.

Brown earned All-Great West Football Conference first-team accolades again in 2006. He came up with 51 tackles (33 solos) and seven pass break-ups. He also had an interception and 1½ stops behind the line of scrimmage while allowing just 29 receptions with no touchdowns.

In 41 games at Cal Poly, Brown started 31 contests. He recorded 111 tackles (75 solos) with 1½ stops for minus-2 yards. He deflected 22 passes and intercepted 10 others for 63 yards in returns. He also gained 139 yards on nine receptions (15.4 avg).

ANALYSIS
Positives: Hard work during the 2006 offseason saw Brown increase his bulk and improve his overall muscle definition ... Has a tight waist with tapered thighs and calves, long arms and adequate chest thickness ... Generally lines up against the opponent's best receiver and shows good confidence in his ability as a shutdown cornerback (did not allow any receptions in three games in 2006) ... Builds to top speed in a hurry and shows good open-field acceleration to close on the ball ... Has above average agility, balance and body control, along with adequate hip snap to stay tight on the receiver throughout the route ... Best when utilized in man or press coverage, but needs to show better aggression in run support ... Product of the weight room, demonstrating better force behind his hits in 2006 than he did in the past ... Self-starter who prefers his own privacy, but is well-respected by the staff and liked by his teammates ... Reads the pass quickly and does a good job of recognizing the routes ... Instinctive open-field tackler who has the hand strength to press and re-route the receiver ... Uses his speed well to lock on and mirror the receiver in one-one-one situations ... Smooth and effortless runner who reads the quarterback's release quickly and redirects to the ball in a flash ... Shows good zone awareness, striking and jolting the receivers with force in press coverage ... Has the catch-up speed and range to get to the ball immediately in pursuit ... Adjusts to the receiver's moves well and shows the burst to close on plays in front of him ... Shows natural hand extension to catch the ball outside the frame and has the speed to recover and get back in the play when he over-runs the ball ... Times his jumps and will compete for the ball at its high point ... Not an explosive tackler, but is effective at wrapping and has the functional strength to bring down ball carriers in one-on-one situations ... Takes good angles and plays tight in man coverage, using his hands effectively to strike in the bump-and-run.

Negatives: Needs to refine his footwork in his backpedal, as he appears to round his breaks and lacks crisp plant-and-drive agility ... Plays too aggressive at times and will get caught out of position when he peeks into the backfield too long ... Does not always recognize when his cushion is broken, but has the burst to recover ... Needs to play vs. the run with more aggression, as he seems to hesitate to stick his head in the pile and gets blocked often by the bigger linemen ... Shows some hesitation in his transition, mostly when he side pedals ... Needs to do a better job of breaking down plays in the open (gets out of control at times).

Compares To: Chris McAlister, Baltimore -- Brown has exceptional quickness and is a big cornerback with natural hands for the interception, but like McAlister he tends to like making open-field tackles or attacking the ball rather than play in run support. He has a developing frame with good strength, showing it well when jamming receivers, but is not an explosive tackler. He will bring good value in the nickel and dime packages, but needs to get more aggressive in run force.

INJURY REPORT
2003: Missed the final three games vs. Cal-Davis, Idaho State and Humboldt State with a high ankle sprain.

2004: Suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee vs. Humboldt State in the season opener (Sept. 3), missing the rest of the schedule ... Granted a medical hardship.

AGILITY TESTS
Campus: 4.32 in the 40-yard dash ... 2.48 20-yard dash ... 1.46 10-yard dash ... Bench pressed 225 pounds 15 times ... 4.07 20-yard shuttle ... 7.1 three-cone drill ... 41½-inch vertical jump ... 10-foot-11 broad jump ... 32½-inch arm length ... 9½-inch hands ... Right-handed ... 25/39 Wonderlic score.

Combine: Did not receive an invitation.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended St. Mary's College (Berkeley, Calif.) High School, playing football for head coach Jay Lawson ... All-League defensive back, earning two letters in football as a receiver and defensive back ... Also competed in track-and-field, qualifying for the state high school finals ... In the classroom, he was a four-year Honor Roll member.

PERSONAL
Civil Engineering major ... Son of Billye and Terrence Brown ... Born Feb. 10, 1984 in San Francisco, California.

mardigan
04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Overview of the 6th round pick, fullback Deon Anderson

FB Deon Anderson
Height: 5-10
Weight: 236lbs
Position: Fullback
College: Connecticut

Watch - 6th Pick: FB Deon Anderson video highlight reel
OVERVIEW The prodigal son returned to the Huskies in 2006 after leaving the school prior to the 2005 season. Known as one of the premier special teams coverage defenders in the nation, Deon’s physical blocking was sorely missed during his absence from the program. His return to the gridiron was capped when he was named the team’s Most Valuable Player during his senior year.

Anderson was a standout three-sport performer at Hope High School in Rhode Island. He earned All-New England and All-Conference honors in football and was named the team’s MVP and Defensive Player of the Year. He was an All-American wrestler, earning state and New England titles as a junior. Deon also finished fourth in the shot put in the New England Finals. He spent the 2001 campaign at Avon Old Farms Prep.

Anderson enrolled at Connecticut in 2002. He started five of twelve contests at fullback, gaining 119 yards on 34 carries (3.5 avg) with one touchdown. He made five catches for 12 yards and led the special teams with nine tackles (7 solos).

Deon lined up as the starting fullback in six of twelve 2003 games. He was bothered at midseason with a hand sprain that forced him to wear a splint, but he still rushed 35 times for 124 yards (3.5 avg) and caught fifteen passes for 148 yards (9.9 avg) and a score. He also led the special teams with eleven tackles (5 solos).

The team utilized a multiple receiver formation in 2004 and Deon started only three games, but saw considerable action blocking in each contest. He gained 99 yards on 22 attempts (4.5 avg) and snared fourteen passes for 133 yards (9.5 avg). He was also in on eleven tackles (4 solos) and gained 12 yards on one kickoff return.

He was re-admitted to Connecticut in the spring of 2006, but only on the condition that he paid his own way. He started nine of eleven contests, missing the season finale vs. Louisville due to a pinched nerve in his neck. Deon rushed only 23 times for 78 yards (3.4 avg) and hauled in fourteen passes for 101 yards (7.2 avg) and a pair of touchdowns. He also recorded nine tackles (5 solos).

In 47 games at Connecticut, Anderson started 23 times. He carried 114 times for 420 yards (3.7 avg) and one touchdown. He had 48 receptions for 394 yards (8.2 avg) and three scores, adding 12 yards on one kickoff return. He also recorded 40 tackles (21 solos).

CAREER NOTES
Originally recruited to play linebacker, Anderson has shown excellent tackling ability, as he led the team in special team tackles in each of his four seasons, finishing his career with 40 hits (21 solos)...Fumbled only three times on 162 touches of the ball (114 runs, 48 catches).

2006 SEASON
Anderson was the recipient of the team’s Most Valuable Player Award, given for the zeal he brought daily to practice and the vigor with which he enjoyed partaking in many of the game’s most unglamorous elements, lifting the spirits, and the performance, of all around him...Deon played in the team’s first eleven games, missing the season finale vs. Louisville with a pinched nerve in his neck...He started nine times, producing 78 yards on 23 carries (3.4 avg)...He caught fourteen passes for 101 yards (7.2 avg) and a pair of touch-downs, adding nine tackles (5 solos) while appearing on the punt return/coverage and kickoff return/coverage units.

2004 SEASON
Played in twelve games, starting at fullback vs. Boston College, West Virginia and Rutgers...Carried the ball 22 times on the year for 99 yards (4.5 avg) while catching fourteen passes for 133 yards (9.5 avg)...Also chipped in eleven special teams tackles (4 solos) and returned a kickoff 12 yards.

2003 SEASON
Played in every game, starting vs. Indiana, Army, Boston College, Buffalo, Lehigh and Rutgers at fullback...Collected 124 yards on 35 carries (3.5 avg) and caught fifteen passes for 148 yards (9.9 avg) and one touchdown...Also led the special teams unit with eleven tackles (5 solos).

2002 SEASON
Played in every game as a true freshman, starting at fullback vs. Boston College, Georgia Tech, Temple, Vanderbilt and Florida Atlantic...Carried 34 times for 119 yards (3.5 avg) and one touchdown...Made five catches for 12 yards (2.4 avg)...Was a key performer on special teams, as he registered nine tackles (7 solos).

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
4.72 in the 40-yard dash...403-pound bench press...600-pound squat...317-pound power clean...28.5-inch vertical jump...30 ¾-inch arm length...9 3/8-inch hands...Left-handed... 27/31 Wonderlic score.

COMBINE AGILITY TESTS
4.73 in the 40-yard dash...1.64 10-yard dash...2.76 20-yard dash...4.43 20-yard shuttle...

12.41 60-yard shuttle...7.27 three-cone drill...Bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times.

33 Inch Vertical Jump...9.06 Broad Jump

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Avon (Ct.) Old Farms Prep School in 2001, playing football for head coach Kevin Driscoll...Spent his earlier prep days at Hope (Providence, R.I.) High School, where he was a standout in three sports – football, track and wrestling...Earned All-New England and All-Conference honors in football and was named the team’s MVP and Defensive Player of the Year...Was an All-American wrestler, earning state and New England titles as a junior... Also finished fourth in the shot put in the New England Finals.

PERSONAL
Psychology major...Born Deon Terry Anderson on 1/27/83...Resides in Providence, Rhode Island.

mardigan
04-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Nick Folk, 5th round kicker

K Nick Folk
Height: 6-1
Weight: 225lbs
Position: Kicker
College: Arizona

Arizona: 3L ... Folk gives Arizona one of the nation's more complete kickers... Earned honorable mention All-Pacific-10 Conference... Stepped up and handled the punting duties as well as his placekick chores after Danny Baugher's injury in seventh game, and finished with league-best 44.7-yard average on a substantialk 22 punts, sticking eight inside the 20 with only two touchbacks... Had career-best 61-yard punt against Washington... Big leg, with 62-yard field goal in 2006 Spring Game... Meantime, made seven of 11 field goal tries (two were blocked) including a 51-yarder against Purdue... Superb duty as kickoff specialist, giving Arizona one of the nations' best net kickoff averages, with a 64.0 average and an average starting point at the right spot, the 20 yard-line... Honorable mention Pac-10 All-Academic in 2005... Was No. 1 place kicker as sophmore during the 2004 season... Pac-10 All-Academic honorable mention... Made 8-of-13 field goals (61.5 percent) ... Ranked eighth in the Pac-10 for field goals... Kicked a career-long 53-yard field goal in final game vs. ASU ... Played in 10 games for the Wildcats in 2003 and took over the place-kicking duties for the last four games of the season... Missed all three field goal-attempts for the season (28, 32 and 23 yards)... Converted on 8-of-8 PAT attempts... Named to the honorable mention Pac-10 All-Academic team in 2003... Recipient of the team's Undergraduate Academics Award for the best grade point average and classroom excellence at the end-of-the-year banquet... Redshirted during the 2002 season ... One of two scholarship kickers that the Wildcats signed in 2002.

High School: Notre Dame High School, Sherman Oaks, CA, 2002 ... Was selected to the All-California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section second -team offense as a place kicker, and the All-CIF Southern Section Division III first-team as a punter for his two-way work at Notre Dame High ... 5-for-9 on field goal attempts ... Long fiedl goal of 52 yards and also had 36-yard game-winner at the 0:11-second mark ... All-Mission League honors as a junior and senior, All-San Fernando Valley as a senior ... In soccer, earned All-CIF Division honors, all-league and All-Valley honors, plus was team captain ... Honor roll student and member of National Honor Society, plus All-Mission League Academic Team honors in both soccer and football ... Two-star selection by Rivals100.com ... Four-year letterman in both football and soccer and also played club soccer ... Scholar-Athlete Award winner.

Personal: Academic major is marketing ... Recipient of the 2002 and 2003 Academic Champion awards ... Born Nov 5, 1984, Hollywood, CA.

mardigan
04-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Doug Free, 4th rounder

OT Doug Free
Height: 6-6
Weight: 324lbs
Position: Offensive Tackle/Guard
College: Northern Illinois

OVERVIEW
Regarded as one of the elite offensive tackles in college football, Free almost gave up football before his career ever began. In ninth grade at Lincoln High School, Free was going to walk away from the game to work at a dairy farm. "I was 15 years old, the job paid well and I loved what I was doing," he said. "I kind of had to be talked back to football. And it all worked out."

It worked out in part because the 5-10, 155-pound freshman sprouted into a 6-5, 210-pound sophomore. That spurt, along with his farm work and weightlifting, pushed Free onto some college radars, but none of the major programs came calling.

"There was talk with Wisconsin, the only I-A program in the state, about walking on as a freshman and maybe getting a scholarship as a sophomore," Free said. "North Dakota and North Dakota State had interest. So did Minnesota-Duluth, where my brother Nic played. And Northern Illinois showed a lot of interest."

Once he saw the farms and fields surrounding NIU, Free quickly enrolled at the school.

At Lincoln High School, Free lettered three times in football and was an honor-roll student. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel rated Free the ninth-best prospect in the state. The team captain and Defensive Lineman of the Year added first-team All-Fox Valley Conference accolades on offense and defense. He was a first-team Herald Times Reporter all-area and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel all-state choice.

He led the team to a 7-3 record and a playoff berth; the team finished second in the league. Free recorded 64 tackles, eight sacks, seven blocked kicks, six forced fumbles, five pass deflections and two fumble recoveries as a defensive tackle in 2002. He also had six receptions for 141 yards and a touchdown as a tight end. As a junior, he added first-team All-FVC recognition.

Free redshirted in 2002 at Northern Illinois and was penciled in as a reserve on the offensive line (third on the depth chart) entering 2003 fall camp. Free became the starter after a tragic event in which Shea Fitzgerald was killed with 12 others in the collapse of a back porch during a party in Lincoln Park. "I still have trouble talking about that," Free said.

Fitzgerald's tragic departure cleared the way for Free. Ever since starting the 2003 opener, a 20-13 victory against Maryland, he became a fixture at left tackle. He also became the bodyguard for All-American tailback Garrett Wolfe over his next 49 consecutive starts.

Free registered 40 knockdowns in 2003. The following season, the sophomore All-American third-team and second-team All-Mid American Conference choice participated in 878 total snaps (806 on offense and 72 on placement kick unit) in 12 starts. He lined up at left tackle for the first 10 games before shifting to tight end. He led the offensive line with a 91 percent blocking grade and 17 flat-back blocks. He also finished fourth on the team with 67 knockdowns.

As a junior in 2005, Free was named first-team All-MAC, as he again graded 91 percent for blocking consistency. He was also nominated for MAC All-Academic and CoSIDA District V All-Academic honors with 3.24 grade-point average as an Industrial Technology major. He made 49 knockdowns and 13 flat-back blocks while seeing action in 806 plays.

Free earned first-team All-MAC accolades in 2006. He was a semifinalist for the National Football Foundation's Draddy Award, honoring combined academic success, football performance and exemplary community service, and received "Halfway All-American" recognition by CBS SportsLine.com at the season's midpoint.

Free registered 59 knockdowns and 10 flat-backs, but he struggled with health issues all year. He was bothered by a groin pull in fall camp, and then suffered a right foot stress fracture when his leg was stepped on in the season opener vs. Ohio State. He played in the next two games before telling trainers of the injury, and the fracture was then treated. He was forced to attend classes wearing a boot to protect the foot. This limited his range and quickness on the field. His season would come to a sad end when he allowed two sacks and three stops behind the line of scrimmage in his final game, vs. Texas Christian in the Poinsettia Bowl.

NIU head coach Joe Novak recently praised Free, saying, "No question, Doug has the talent to play on Sundays. Knock on wood, I believe he's going to be a first-round draft pick. Doug Free's a lot better athlete than Ryan Diem. (Free) can run! You just don't see many offensive linemen that can run at that size like he can. What's impressive is he'll sit back in pass protection and then we'll throw the ball down the field and he'll run down field and block a safety. I mean, get downfield! You just don't see kids who can do that. He's special. Our kids call him 'Doug Freak' because he runs so well."

ANALYSIS
Positives: Has a thick upper body with wide hips and thighs, with room to add at least another 15-20 pounds with no loss in his impressive quickness (5.09 40-yard dash) ... Very agile for a player his size and possesses very good lower-body weight-room numbers (565-pound squat, 350-pound power clean) ... Shows good flexibility on the move and demonstrates good knee bend in his kick slide ... Hard worker in practices and the training room who will do the little extras to improve ... Well-liked by the team and staff, taking pride in his leadership role ... Has a good understanding of blocking schemes and is alert to twists and games ... Slides out with good quickness and arms extending to defeat the edge rush ... Does a nice job adjusting to action working in space, coming off the ball with good urgency ... Hardly ever in a position of disadvantage and uses his long arms to reach and seal ... Can set quickly in the short area and has the feet to mirror moves in one-on-one situations ... More of a finesse/position and sustain type of blocker, but has the quickness and movement skills to fire off the snap on pulls and traps ... Effective at reaching or turning the defender in when he keeps good hand placement ... Pulls with good speed and can locate and land in space ... Does an excellent job of seeking out the linebackers and gets downfield in a hurry, taking good angles to neutralize ... Has the speed to cut, wall off and force the chase path by the defender ... Has good leg drive and anchor to hold off the pass rusher and even when he over-sets, he recovers quickly ... Has better slide and lateral agility moving to the outside than redirecting inside, but can handle quickness when he moves his feet to mirror.

Negatives: More of a finesse type who likes to use his body to lean and push the defender, lacking the upper-body strength to punch and shock with his hands ... Has good speed, but won't explode into the opponent, preferring to reach and grab ... Needs to improve his lower-body strength and must get more aggressive in his handling of the bull rusher (can be pushed back into the pocket) ... Better pass protector than run blocker; he is slow to recover bringing his feet when redirecting inside ... Gets too narrow in his base at times and needs to be more consistent in his attempts to gain leverage ... Gets good hand placement, but you would hope he would shoot his hands with more pop on contact ... Good at the reach and scoop, but must work harder to gain advantage in attempts to seal off ... Must also stay on his blocks longer (gets off too quick; he tries to locate other people to hit) ... Might be a better fit at guard early in his career to cover up upper-body strength issues (especially vs. the bull rush).

Compares To: Adam Meadows, Denver -- In his prime with the Colts, Meadows was an athletic mover and good finesse blocker. Free possesses the same quickness, reach and second-level blocking ability. Some compare him to former NIU blocker Ryan Diem, but he is a much better athlete with quicker feet. Free needs to improve his hand punch and bulk up if he wants to play left tackle at the next level. With his quickness and lateral agility, he might have better success as a pulling guard.

HIGH SCHOOL
Ranked as No. 9 college prospect in state by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (2002). Named team captain and Defensive Lineman of the Year, first-team All-Fox Valley Conference on both offense and defense, first-team Herald Times Reporter All-Area, and first-team Milwaukee Journal Sentinel All-State on 7-3 playoff entry and league runner-up as a senior for coach John Dixon. Recorded 64 tackles, eight sacks, seven blocked kicks, six fumble-cause hits, five deflections, and two fumble recoveries at DT, plus made six receptions for 141 yards and one TD at TE (2001). Named first-team All-FVC as a junior. Lettered in football (3). Honor roll student.

PERSONAL
Birthdate: 1-16-84. Major: Technology.

mardigan
04-30-2007, 06:51 PM
3rd pick, Isaih Stanback

QB Isaiah Stanback
Height: 6-2
Weight: 216lbs
Position: Quarterback/Wide Receiver
College: Washington

2006: Had season-ending foot surgery Oct. 17 on badly sprained right foot ... 3,868 career passing yards ranks 11th in UW history ... ended up ranked in numerous UW career and single-season statistical categories: 2nd in career passing yards per completion with 14.38; 3rd in career rushing yards by a quarterback with 794; 4th in career yards of total offense per game with 6.16; 6th in career passing yards per attempt with 7.40; 6th in career rushing attempts by a quarterback with 234; 10th in career total offense with 4,662 yards; 11th in career passing with 3,868 yards; 11th in career attempts with 523; 12th in career completions with 269; 14th in career touchdown passes with 22 ... injured foot in loss to Oregon State (12-for-24, 162 yards; 11 car., 11 yds., 2 TDs rushing) ... opened 2006 with solid game vs. SJSU, passing 16-for-25 for 168 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, while rushing for 102 yards and a TD on 17 carries ... set new career highs for carries and rushing yds. vs. SJSU ... at Okla.: 9-for-22, 139 yds. passing ... led UW to win over Fresno State: 15-for-26, 151 yds., 0 INT, 2 TDs passing and 12 carries, 91 yds., 1 TD rushing ... accounted for 248 of UW's 249 yards of total offense vs. UCLA: 18-for-29 for 200 yds., 1 INT, 3 TD passing; 13-for-48 rushing ... 14-of-25 for 293 and 2 TDs in win at Arizona ... 17-for-38, 0 INT, 2TDs, 212 yds. at USC ... returning starter at QB who started all 11 games last season ... 2,136 yards passing in `05 were 15th-most in UW history ... 2,489 yards in total offense were 10th in UW history and 226.3 per game was 8th ... drafted by the Orioles in the 2006 MLB draft despite not playing baseball at the UW ... has run track the last two springs, taking fifth in 100m at the 2006 Pac-10s ... best time in 100 is 10.48.

2005: Started all 11 games at quarterback in 2005 ... 2,136 yards were the 15th most in UW history ... averaged 194.2 passing yards per game, 11th-most ever at UW ... ran for 353 yards on 100 carries, with five scores ... cracked UW's all-time top-10 in total offense (2,489 yards, 10th), and total offense per game (226.3, eighth) ... named the Sports Radio 950 KJR Most Outstanding Offensive Player at the team's postseason banquet ... led UW to win at Arizona, going 10-for-19 for 157 yards and one TD, plus a career-high 96 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns ... completed a career-long 69-yard TD pass to Craig Chambers on a Hail Mary as the first half expired at Arizona, sparking the UW's win ... had a good day vs. No. 1 USC, completing 14-of-18 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown, while also scoring on a run ... completed 19 of 27 passes for 242 yards vs. Air Force, with no INTs and one TD ... topped the 300-yard passing mark twice, vs. Cal (301) and Notre Dame (career-high 353) ... passing total at Notre Dame was the 14th-most ever at UW ... also set a career-high for attempts (40) vs. the Irish ... ran track for UW in the spring ... placed fifth in the finals of the 100-meter dash at the Pac-10 Championships ... was sixth at the West Regional meet at BYU, missing an NCAA Championships berth by just .02 seconds ... ranks among UW's all-time top-10 in the 100-meter dash (10.48, 8th) and 4x100-meter relay (40.07, 7th) outdoors, and the 60-meter dash (6.80, 8th) indoors ... 100-meter best ranks third all-time among UW football players who have competed in track (Ja'Warren Hooker, 10.18; Sterling Hinds, 10.27).

2004: Appeared in five games at quarterback ... played against Fresno State, Oregon State, USC, Arizona and WSU ... was second among QBs with 389 passing yards ... was 11-of-29 for 219 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT in just three quarters of action against Oregon State, also leading the team with 51 yards rushing ... 19.9 yards per completion against OSU rank fifth in UW history ... scored first-career rush TD in season-opener vs. Fresno State ... earned first career start at USC ... finished the year on a high note, coming off the bench to complete five of eight passes for 100 yards against Washington State ... had a 42-yard pass vs. WSU and connected with Craig Chambers for a 39-yard scoring play ... also ran for one TD in Apple Cup appearance ... ran track during the winter, qualifying for the indoor conference championships in the 60-meter dash.

2003: Played in 11 games in 2003, mostly at wide receiver ... also returned kicks and practiced with the quarterbacks ... was 2-for-2 passing during the season ... quarterback duties were limited to late-game situations vs. Indiana and Idaho ... caught 10 passes for 143 yards, leading all players with a 14.3 average per reception ... had four catches for 82 yards vs. Arizona, including a career-best 41-yard catch ... rushed for a total of 25 yards from the QB position ... also returned eight kickoffs, averaging 16.6 yards per runback ... had seven kickoff returns against Cal, equaling the UW single-game record for returns in a game. 2002: Redshirted the season ... was 4-of-9 for 82 yards and a touchdown in the 2003 Spring Game.

High School and Personal: Parents are Nita Aneise Williams and Ken Stanback ... has two older siblings, Jamar and Teya ... received four votes in the Long Beach Press-Telegram's 2001 "Best in the West" poll ... passed for 1,628 yards and 12 touchdowns, and added over 700 yards and nine scores rushing in 2001 for 2-7 Garfield ... passing total ranked second among Washington state Class 4A quarterbacks ... had best game of 2001 against Inglemoor, totaling 399 yards passing and three touchdowns ... as a junior, tallied 1,653 passing yards and 13 TDs ... selected as one of just three "blue chip" players by the Seattle Times ... is the first "blue chip" quarterback since 1998 ... one of eight Tacoma News-Tribune "Northwest Nuggets" ... a member of the Tacoma News-Tribune's "Western 100" ... an all-KingCo Conference pick in 2001 and 2000... earned PrepStar and SuperPrep All-American honors ... a member of PrepStar's Top 125 Dream Team ... the fifth-rated quarterback in the nation according to SuperPrep ... the 23rd-ranked player nationally in SuperPrep's "Elite 50" ... the No. 1 player in SuperPrep's Washington 22 ... rated 14th among all quarterbacks nationally, fourth in the West Region, by PrepStar ... also listed by PrepStar as one of the top-three run-pass combination QBs in the nation ... one of the nation's Top 101 recruits according to Student Sports Magazine ... considered the third-best "athlete" on the West Coast by PacWest Football ... rated No. 23 nationally among prep quarterbacks by Tom Lemming's Prep Football Report ... also starred on the baseball diamond for Garfield ... coached in high school by Luther Carr ... majoring in marketing and American ethnic studies.

mardigan
04-30-2007, 06:52 PM
2nd rounder, James Martin

OT James Marten
Height: 6-7.5
Weight: 309lbs
Position: Offensive Tackle
College: Boston College

Watch - OT James Marten Video Highlight Reel

Listen - Interview with OT James Marten

OVERVIEW
Like most Boston College offensive linemen in recent years, Marten has the versatility and skills to play a variety of positions on the front wall. He will probably shift to right tackle at the pro level to take advantage of his long frame and drive blocking skills. He played that position as a redshirt freshman before shifting to left guard for his sophomore and junior seasons. With the graduation of Jeremy Trueblood, Marten was again on the move in 2006, taking over the demanding left tackle chores.

Marten earned 2001 All-Midwest honors from Super Prep and Prep Star at Brebeuf Jesuit High School. He was a two-time All-State Class 3A and All-County choice. He was named to the Indiana Football Coaches Top 50 in 2001 and was also a member of the North-South All-Star team.

The team captain also competed on the Braves' basketball and track and field teams. He helped the basketball team capture the State Class 3A title in 2000. In track, he competed in the discus and served as team captain during his senior campaign.

Marten enrolled at Boston College in 2002, spending the season competing on the scout team as an offensive tackle. He appeared all thirteen games, earning his first career start (only one for the year) at right tackle vs. Colorado State in the San Francisco Bowl. He earned a full-time starting job at left offensive guard in 2004. He helped the team rush for 1,579 yards and throw for 2,594 more, as he totaled 60 knockdowns.

In 2005, Marten was named All-Atlantic Coast Conference second-team. He registered 72 knockdowns for a unit that averaged 25.8 points and 387.8 yards per game in total offense. He was part of a front wall that allowed only fifteen quarterback sacks allowed (1.5 by Marten) while starting twelve games at left guard.

Marten took over left tackle duties as a senior. He was again named All-ACC second-team, allowing only 1.5 of the 22 sacks given up by the offensive line. The team averaged 354.15 yards per game and also averaged 26.0 points, as the left tackle collected a career-high 84 knockdowns. In 50 games with the Eagles, he would finish his career with 38 consecutive contests. He produced 222 knockdowns/key blocks in the games he started.

CAREER NOTES
Started each of the last 38 games, 25 at left offensive guard and the last 13 at left tackle.

2006 SEASON
All-Atlantic Coast Conference second-team selection...Shifted to the left offensive tackle position, starting all 13 games...Graded 81.2% for blocking consistency and posted 91 knockdowns/key blocks for an offense that ranked second in the conference with an average of 354.15 yards per game...Registered 10 touchdown-resulting blocks as the offensive line allowed 22 quarterback sacks...Marten was charged with allowing only 1.5 sacks and did not give up any pressures.

2005 SEASON
Started all 12 games at left offensive guard...Allowed only 1.5 quarterback sacks and three pressures while recording 71 knockdowns and registering seven touchdown-resulting blocks... Part of an offense that led the ACC with an average of 387.7 yards per game...The offensive line ranked 12th in the nation in sacks allowed (15, an average of 1.25 per game).

2004 SEASON
Started all 12 games at left offensive guard...Helped the team produce three different 100-yard game performance runners in redshirt freshmen LV Whitworth and Andre Callender, and true freshman A.J. Brooks...The offense accounted for 4,625 yards, an average of 385.4 yards per game...Marten came up with 56 knockdowns and seven touchdown-resulting blocks.

2003 SEASON
Played in all 13 games, starting his first collegiate game at right offensive tackle vs. Colorado State in the San Francisco Bowl...Helped quarterback Paul Peterson throw for 2,594 yards.

2002 SEASON
Redshirted as a freshman.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
5.16 in the 40-yard dash...345-pound bench press...400-pound squat...300-pound power clean...27-inch vertical jump...34-inch arm length...9 ¼-inch hands...Left-handed...Wears contacts...30/38 Wonderlic score.

COMBINE AGILITY TESTS
5.08 in the 40-yard dash...1.78 10-yard dash...2.97 20-yard dash...4.54 20-yard shuttle... (DNP) 60-yard shuttle...7.68 three-cone drill...Bench press (DNP)

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Brebeuf Jesuit (Indianapolis, Ind.) High School, playing football for head coach Mark Newlin...Earned 2001 All-Midwest honors from Super Prep and Prep Star...Two-time All-State Class 3A and All-County choice...Named to the Indiana Football Coaches Top 50 in 2001 and was also a member of the North-South All-Star team...The team captain also competed on the Braves' basketball and track and field teams...Helped the basketball team capture the State Class 3A title in 2000...In track, he competed in the discus and served as team captain during his senior campaign.

PERSONAL
Earned his bachelor's degree in Finance and Marketing from the Carroll School of Management in May 2006...Presently pursuing a masters degree in Administrative Studies in the Woods College of Advancing Studies...2005-06 recipient of the John F. Walsh Family Football Scholarship...Son of Dr. Sue Lanter and James W. Marten...Born James P. Marten on 4/18/84...Resides in Indianapolis, Indiana.

mardigan
04-30-2007, 06:53 PM
1st rounder, Anthony Spencer

DE Anthony Spencer
Height: 6-3
Weight: 261lbs
Position: Defensive End
College: Purdue

OVERVIEW
Spencer was a three-year starter at nose guard and fullback at Bishop Luers High School. He was a two-time All-State pick and three-time All-Area and All-Conference selection. The Indianapolis Star Defensive Lineman of the Year as senior. Spencer recorded 65 tackles, including 24 for loss and seven sacks, with seven fumble recoveries and one interception as a member of the Class 2A state championship team his final season.

He also rushed for more than 600 yards and 13 touchdowns while averaging 9.1 yards per carry. Spencer had 82 tackles, including 21 for loss and 13 sacks his junior season. He received the team's Mental Attitude Award as sophomore. He closed out his career as the school's recordholder with 73 tackles for loss and 27 sacks. He also lettered on the school's basketball team. Spencer enrolled at Purdue in 2002, spending the season on the scout team. He saw limited action on defense in 2003, appearing in ten games. But, he managed six tackles (3 solos) and assisted on one stop behind the line of scrimmage.

In 2004, Spencer played in twelve games, starting the first eleven contests at weak-side defensive end. He registered 33 tackles (18 solos) and finished third on the squad with 7.5 sacks and 9.5 stops for losses. He also batted away six passes and caused three fumbles, earning All- Big Ten Conference honorable mention.

Spencer started all eleven games in 2005, registering 23 tackles (16 solos), three sacks, and 7.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He caused three fumbles and recovered another while also deflecting one pass.

Spencer had a banner senior campaign. The Ted Hendricks Award (nation's top defensive end) finalist ranked second in the nation with 26.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage, the fifth-best season total in Big Ten Conference history. He finished second on the team with 93 tackles (69 solos) and led the squad with 10.5 sacks. He also caused five fumbles and recovered another while batting away six passes and blocking one kick. In 47 games at Purdue, Spencer started 36 contests. He registered 155 tackles (106 solos) with two fumble recoveries, thirteen pass deflections and a blocked kick. He ranks fifth in school history with 21 sacks for minus 147 yards and finished seventh on the Purdue career-record chart with 44 stops for losses totaling 241 yards. His eleven forced fumbles rank second in school annals.

CAREER NOTES
Spencer's 93 tackles in 2006 were the most ever by a defensive end during the Joe Tiller era (1997-present), topping the previous high of 71 by Rosevelt Colvin in 1997...His 15 tackles vs. Notre Dame in 2006 were the most by a defensive end in a game under Tiller's reign, surpassing the old mark of 14 by Shaun Phillips vs. Wake Forest in 2002...Spencer's 26.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage in 2006 rank second on the school's season-record list behind Jeff Zgonina (28 in 1992) and rank fifth on the Big Ten Conference annual record chart, topped only by Zgonina, Tom Burke of Wisconsin (31 in 1998), Julian Peterson of Michigan State (30 in 1999) and Courtney Brown of Penn State (29 in 1999)...Spencer's 44 stops for losses rank seventh on Purdue's career-record list, surpassed by Jeff Zgonina (72, 1989-92), Rosevelt Colvin (61, 1995- 98), Shaun Phillips (60.5, 2000-03), Keena Turner (58, 1976-79), Akin Ayodele (54, 1999-01) and Matt Mitrione (50, 1998-2001)...His 10.5 sacks in 2006 rank seventh on the school's seasonrecord list behind Rosevelt Colvin (15 in 1998 and 12.5 in 1997), Shaun Phillips (14.5 in 2003), Jeff Zgonina (13 in 1992), Jim Schwantz (11 in 1989) and Akin Ayodele (11 in 1999)...His 21 career sacks rank fifth all-time in school annals, topped only by Shaun Phillips (33.5, 2000-03), Rosevelt Colvin (33, 1995-98), Jeff Zgonina (29, 1989-92) and Akin Ayodele (29, 1999- 2001)...His eleven forced fumbles are one shy of the Purdue career-record of twelve by James Looney (1977-80).

2006 SEASON
All-American first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report, adding second-team honors from Rivals.com and the Walter Camp Football Foundation, third-team recognition from the Associated Press and honorable mention from Pro Football Weekly...Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award finalist...Lott Trophy quarterfinalist (Defensive Impact Player of the Year) ...Earned first-team All-Big Ten Conference honors from the league's coaches and media...Named Big Ten Player of the Week in back-to-back games vs. Notre Dame and Minnesota...Served as defensive team co-captain...Started all year at strong-side defensive end, ranking second on the team with a career-high 93 tackles (69 solos)... Led the team with 10.5 sacks for minus 70 yards...Ranked second in the nation and led the conference with 26.5 stops for losses totaling 110 yards...Added five pressures and blocked one kick...Deflected six passes, recovered one fumble and caused five others.

2006 GAME ANALYSIS
Indiana State...Opened the season with seven tackles (5 solos), a 10-yard sack, three stops for minus 21 yards and a pass deflection...Stopped Tony West for a 4-yard loss on a late first quarter run, taking West down again for minus 7 yards on a third-&-8 play in the fourth quarter...Also sacked QB Reilly Murphy for a 10-yard loss in the final frame...Head to Head Competition- OT#69-Cory Blunk.

Miami (Oh)...Blocked a potential game-winning 39-yard field goal on the final play of the regulation, in a game that Purdue pulled out a 38-31 decision in overtime...Posted eight tackles (6 solos) with an 8-yard sack and two stops for minus 10 yards...Sacked QB Mike Kokal for a 10- yard loss late in the third quarter..."We've been preaching positive attitude all season, and I just kept a positive attitude going into that situation," Spencer said..."Anthony Spencer took the game over at the end. On fourth down, he was puking in the huddle, and he went back out and got after the quarterback again. That's what great players do." Purdue defensive coordinator Brock Spack said, when bragging about his defensive end to the West Lafayette (Ind.) Journal-

Courier...Spencer closed out the day with three third-down tackles, one more on fourth down, three hits on goal-line plays and two other tackles that stopped ball carriers for no gain...Head to Head Competition-OT#76-Charlie Norden.

Ball State...Registered three solo tackles, causing a fumble when he stripped the ball from Larry Bostic on a 4-yard catch at the BSU 14, as Purdue recovered the pigskin to set up a 7-yard scoring pass from Curtis Painter to Kory Sheets early in the fourth quarter...Killed Ball State's last-ditch scoring drive when he sacked QB Nate Davis for a 7-yard loss on a third-&-8 play with 1:51 remaining in the game...Head to Head Competition-OT#79-Andre Ramsey.

Minnesota...Named Big Ten Player of the Week after collecting a then career-high ten tackles (9 solos) with two sacks for minus 10 yards, three stops behind the line of scrimmage, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery in a 27-21 triumph...Stopped Alex Daniels for no gain on a first-&- goal run during the game's opening drive...Sacked QB Bryan Cupito for a 4-yard loss on a third- &-6 play, causing a fumble that Spencer recovered to set up a Purdue 36-yard field goal in the third quarter...Chased down Amir Pinnix after the tailback picked up 22 yards on a reception and on the next play, he sacked Cupito for a 6-yard loss midway through the fourth quarter...Made three third-down tackles and had four of his stops on goal-line plays...Head to Head Competition- OT#64-Steve Shidell.

Notre Dame...Despite playing with a knee injury, Spencer produced a career-high 15 tackles (7 solos), deflected a pass and registered 4.5 stops for losses of 20 yards...On back-to-back plays five minutes into the game, he stopped tailback Darius Walker behind the line of scrimmage on a pair of runs for minus 3 yards each...Sacked QB Brady Quinn for a 7-yard loss with 0:50 left in the first half and joined Alex Magee in sacking Quinn for minus 10 yards on a third-&-7 play in the third quarter...Finished the day with three third-down tackles...Head to Head Competition-OT#68- Ryan Harris.

Iowa...Was not expected to play due to his knee injury the previous week, but started and came up with seven tackles, including one that stopped Damian Sims for a 2-yard loss, causing a fumble that Purdue's Brandon Erwin recovered at the Iowa 34 late in the third quarter...Head to Head Competition-OT#78-Dace Richardson.

Northwestern...Totaled nine tackles (7 solos) with a 9-yard sack and 2.5 stops for minus 11 yards...Killed a late second quarter drive when he tackled Andrew Brewer for no gain on a third- &-6 run, forcing the Wildcats to punt with 1:13 left in the first half...Sacked Brewer for a 9-yard loss on a third-&-5 play at the start of the second half, again forcing the opponent to punt...Finished the day with three third-down stops and took down ball carriers for no gain on three carries...Head to Head Competition-OT#76-Desmond Taylor.

Penn State...After missing practice all week due to his foot injury, Spencer was forced to leave the game several times due to leg cramps, but still led the team with nine tackles (7 solos), as he also had 2.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage and a pass break-up...Four of Spencer's tackles came on third-down plays...Head to Head Competition-OT#67-Levi Brown.

Michigan State...Followed with five tackles (4 solos) with a 3-yard sack, four stops for minus 13 yards and a pass deflection, but like in the Penn State game, leg cramps would force the defensive end to the sidelines during the game...Sacked QB Drew Stanton for a 3-yard loss on third-&-12 during MSU's game-opening drive, forcing the Spartans to punt...Twice took down tailback Javon Ringer behind the line of scrimmage, including one for a 7-yard loss with 4:40 left to play...Head to Head Competition-OT#75-Pete Clifford.

Illinois... Registered six tackles (3 solos) and two stops for losses...He sacked QB Isiah Williams for a 6-yard loss on a third-&-6 play early in the second quarter, causing a fumble that Purdue's Alex Magee recovered in the end zone for a touchdown...Head to Head Competition-OT#69- Akim Mellington.

Indiana...Tallied three solo tackles...Head to Head Competition-OT#78-Kyle Thomas. Hawaii...Produced one solo tackle and caused a fumble, deflected a pass and pressured QB Colt Brennan twice...Head to Head Competition-OT#70-Tala Esera.

Maryland (Champs Sports Bowl)...Closed out his career with seven tackles (5 solos), including one on fourth-down, one on a goal-line play and two that took down ball carriers for no gain...Head to Head Competition-OT#70-Stephon Heyer.

2005 SEASON
Started all eleven games at strong-side defensive end...Recorded 23 tackles (16 solos) and added three sacks for minus 22 yards and 7.5 stops for losses totaling 36 yards...Caused three fumbles and recovered another...Also deflected one pass.

2005 GAME HIGHLIGHTS
Akron...Caused a fumble when he sacked QB Luke Getsy and had one solo tackle in the season opener.

Ariziona...Added a 7-yard sack of QB Richard Kovalcheck and two solo tackles. Notre Dame...Tackled tailback Darius Walker for a 5-yard loss. Wisconsin...Posted three tackles, including one that dropped tailback Brian Calhoun for a 2-yard loss.

Penn State...Recovered a fumble and made three tackles (2 solos). Illinois...Caused two fumbles, including one on a 15-yard sack of QB Tim Brasic and was in on four tackles (3 solos) and a pair of stops for minus 20 yards.

2004 SEASON
Named to Ted Hendricks Defensive Player of the Year Award watch list...Earned All-Big Ten Conference honorable mention from the league's coaches and media...Started the team's first eleven games at strong-side defensive end, giving way to Rob Ninkovich, who started the Sun Bowl...Tied for the conference lead with three forced fumbles, as he made 33 tackles (18 solos) with 7.5 sacks for minus 55 yards and 9.5 stops for losses of 50 yards...Also deflected six passes.

2004 GAME HIGHLIGHTS
Recorded five tackles (2 solos), including two for loss, a sack, a pass break-up and a forced fumble vs. Illinois...Added a pair of sacks, a pass deflection and a forced fumble vs. Notre Dame...Forced fumble vs. Iowa...Registered five tackles (3 solos), including two behind the line of scrimmage and a sack vs. Ohio State...Posted two pass deflections vs. Arizona State in the Sun Bowl.

2003 SEASON
Appeared in ten games as reserve defensive end, but saw most of his action on special teams...Finished with six tackles (3 solos)...Played in just one of first four games while recovering from a foot injury that was suffered in spring camp...Assisted on a tackle behind the line of scrimmage vs. Wisconsin and had a season-high two tackles vs. Northwestern.

2002 SEASON
Redshirted as a freshman.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
4.63 in the 40-yard dash...500-pound bench press...32 5/8-inch arm length...9 5/8-inch hands...Right-handed.

COMBINE AGILITY TESTS
4.73 in the 40-yard dash...1.68 10-yard dash...2.78 20-yard dash...4.43 20-yard shuttle... 7.14 three-cone drill...32.5-inch vertical jump...9'4” broad jump...Bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Bishop Luers (Fort Wayne, Ind.) High School, playing football for head coach Matt Lindsay...Three-year starter at nose guard and fullback...Two-time All-State pick and three-time All-Area and All-Conference selection...The Indianapolis Star Defensive Lineman of the Year as senior...Recorded 65 tackles, including 24 for loss and seven sacks, with seven fumble recoveries and one interception as a member of the Class 2A state championship team his final season...Rushed for more than 600 yards and 13 touch-downs while averaging 9.1 yards per carry...Recorded 82 tackles, including 21 for loss and 13 sacks his junior season...Received the team's Mental Attitude Award as sophomore... Closed out his career as the school's recordholder with 73 tackles for loss and 27 sacks... Also lettered on the school's basketball team.

PERSONAL
African-American Studies major, with a minor in Law Society...Born Anthony E. Spencer II on 1/23/84...Resides in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

mardigan
05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
IRVING, Texas - Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones used a telling term early last week in reference to the upcoming NFL Draft: Flexibility.

Jones felt the Cowboys be could flexible in their decision-making because of their confidence in the current roster. He said they could trade up, trade down or simply stay put and let the picks come to them.

The Cowboys did a little bit of all three. And when the dust settled Sunday night, they finished with eight draft picks - two less than they started with Saturday morning, excluding the extra first-round pick in 2008 they picked up from Cleveland.

Cowboys fans have never rooted harder against the Browns than they will in 2007.

Jones said before the draft he believed the Cowboys "could line up and play" with their existing group of veterans, but Sunday he took exception to the notion that the 2007 rookie class won't make an immediate impact.

The most likely candidate to contribute early is first-round pick Anthony Spencer, a defensive end at Purdue will transition to 3-4 outside linebacker as DeMarcus Ware did in 2005. Ware reached his first Pro Bowl last season, and the Cowboys are hoping Spencer can provide a similar complement on the opposite side of the field.

Here's a closer look at Spencer and the Cowboys' other eight rookies, who will arrive here at Valley Ranch May 11 for the rookie mini-camp:

Anthony Spencer
Linebacker, Purdue
6-2, 261
1st Round (26th overall)

Who's He? A versatile defensive player who boosted his draft stock with a strong senior season. A Ted Hendricks Award finalist for the nation's top defensive end, Spencer finished second in the nation with 26½ tackles for losses and had a team-high 10½ sacks.
Unique Quality: Ready-made size. Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips mentioned that San Diego's Shawne Merriman also weighed 260 pounds as an incoming rookie. He had the prototypical size to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 in proportion to his speed, and so does Spencer.
How He Fits: Spencer will likely compete with Bobby Carpenter and Greg Ellis at left outside linebacker opposite Ware. Ellis made a successful transition last season before tearing his Achilles' tendon and is progressing nicely with his rehabilitation. Carpenter, last year's first-round pick, alternated between outside and inside linebacker but played well in Ellis' spot in the final weeks. Spencer also figures to put his hand on the ground as a defensive end in the four-man front of the nickel.
Worth Mentioning: Despite missing practice all week with a foot injury, Spencer led the Boilermakers with nine tackles and two for loss last year against Penn State offensive tackle Levi Brown, Arizona's fifth overall pick.

James Marten
Offensive Tackle, Boston College
6-7, 309
3rd Round (67th overall)

Who's He? A hard-nosed offensive lineman who started 25 college games at guard and the final 13 at tackle. Marten has great size and toughness, two traits the Cowboys are looking for in young offensive linemen. Pat McQuistan had similar qualities when he was drafted in the seventh round last year.
Unique Quality: Versatility. Marten can play both tackle spots or move to guard if needed, though the Cowboys project him as a tackle.
How He Fits: The Cowboys realize they can't continue shelling out big bucks for free-agent offensive linemen. They're counting on Marten and fourth-round pick Doug Free to provide depth behind starting tackles Flozell Adams and Marc Colombo, and his their presence will allow the club to take a look at McQuistan at left guard this summer.
Worth Mentioning: Colombo is a fellow Boston College alum, and not surprisingly, he and Marten both have a good work ethic. Boston College has produced several good NFL linemen over the years.

Isaiah Stanback
Wide Receiver, Washington
6-2, 216
4th Round (103rd overall)

Who's He? A tremendous athlete who played mostly quarterback at Washington but will play wide receiver in the NFL. Stanback said he has 4.3 to 4.4 speed in the 40, which is even more impressive considering his size. He could become a bigger, faster version of Patrick Crayton, who also played some quarterback in college.
Unique Quality: Athleticism. To put Stanback's raw ability in perspective, he was a track star at Washington, running a 10.48 in the 100 meters and also was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in 2006 after not playing baseball since high school.
How He Fits: The Cowboys have plenty of depth at wide receiver. Crayton had a career season behind starters Terry Glenn and Terrell Owens, and the Cowboys are pleased with last year's undrafted receivers Sam Hurd and Miles Austin. But Stanback could find an early niche as a return specialist while developing his receiver skills. An intriguing prospect.
Worth Mentioning: Stanback is still recovering from season-ending foot surgery last October, so his availability for the off-season mini-camps might be in question.

Doug Free
Offensive Tackle, Northern Illinois
6-6, 324
4th Round (122th overall)

Who's He? Another versatile lineman the Cowboys hope will develop into a long-term contributor, though he won't be asked to start right away.
Unique Quality: Agility. Free earned the nickname "Doug Freak" for his running ability. Northern Illinois head coach Joe Novak said Free is a better athlete than former NIU standout Ryan Diem, now a starting tackle for the Colts.
How He Fits: See Marten. The Cowboys are committed to developing Free and Marten as potential starters down the road, but for now they'll be asked to provide depth and insurance. Jones also said Free might be able to play backup center if needed.
Worth Mentioning: Free almost quit football in the ninth grade to work at a dairy farm in his hometown of Manitowoc, Wis. He decided to keep playing, and then he grew. A lot. Free went from 5-10, 155 pounds as a high school freshman to 6-5, 210 as a sophomore, suffering badly from growing pains, he said.

Nick Folk
Kicker, Arizona
6-1, 225
6th Round (178th overall)

Who's He? Considered the best kicker at this year's combine, actually out-performing Colorado's Mason Crosby, who was taken a few picks after him in. Has an extremely strong leg, exhibited by his kickoffs, recording touchbacks on 31 of 49 kicks.
Unique Quality: Folk's field-goal percentage improved each of the three years he kicked fulltime at Arizona, going from 61.5-percent accuracy his sophomore season to 75 percent this past season.
How He Fits: Will enter camp competing with Martin Gramatica to become the fulltime field-goal kicker. Will have a leg up because of kickoff ability, but must prove a reliable field-goal kicker to win job. Made only 50 percent of his kicks at Arizona between 40-49, and that won't get it done. But if kickoffs are strong enough, might force club to keep a kickoff specialist, which buys him time to continue working on field-goal accuracy.
Worth Mentioning: Can also punt. Finished out season punting after Arizona's starter injured himself, and averaged 44.7 on 22 attempts.

Deon Anderson
Fullback, Connecticut
5-10, 243
6th Round (195th overall)

Who's He? A throwback fullback, a guy who is a load blocking, can run a little, became a reliable receiver out of the backfield and was one of the most valuable special teams players (coverage) at UConn. After dealing with some disorderly conduct issues, missed junior season but paid his own way to return to play as a senior without a scholarship.
Unique Quality: Is a pretty tough kid, and one of those workout junkies. Should become an instant hit in coverage on special teams, which might be his ticket onto the 53-man roster as a rookie.
How He Fits: Will battle Lousaka Polite and Oliver Hoyte for one of the two fullback spots on a team that will reinstitute the fullback into the offense. His special teams qualities might give him the edge over Polite if they are dead even on fullback capabilities.
Worth Mentioning: This former All-America wrestler in high school was voted the Huskies' Most Valuable Player by his teammates this past season, and to think he rushed for just 78 yards on 23 carries and caught 14 passes for 101 yards and two touchdowns. That's how special he was on special teams and contributing to the team concept.

Courtney Brown
Cornerback, Cal Poly
6-1, 205
7th Round (212th overall)

Who's He? The cornerback played at a Division I-AA school, but was awfully good at that level. In three games this past season he held the receivers he was covering to no receptions, and generally lined up against the opponent's top receiver. A big, sturdy corner who should excel in man coverage. Cal Poly advanced into the second round of this year's past I-AA playoffs before losing to Texas State.
Unique Quality: Shutdown corner in college, allowing the receivers he covered just 29 receptions in 2006. Timed in 4.32 in the 40, so for a big guy, he can fly.
How He Fits: Will compete for a backup corner spot on the roster, and basically will be trying to beat out either Jacques Reeves or Nate Jones for a roster spot. If he shows enough promise, financial considerations will be in his favor since his first-year base salary will be $285,000 while Reeves and Jones are scheduled for the $850,000 restricted-free-agency tenders they recently signed.
Worth Mentioning: Was on his way from high school to play at Cal, but his scholarship was derailed when the school fired its coaching staff. At the time, Cal Poly was the next best alternative for the former high school four-year honor roll member.

Alan Ball
Cornerback, Illinois
6-1, 176
7th Round (237th overall)

Who's He? Obviously not very thick, but still managed to start for 3½ seasons in the Big Ten. That accounts for something. Must have a nose for the ball, ranking third in the Big 10 in passes defended. Is known pretty much as a ball-hawk, and set career school record for passes defended.
Unique Quality: Pretty strong for how thin he is, and actually finished fourth on the team in 2005 with 55 tackles, then followed that up with 62 tackles last year. Named the Illini's Most Outstanding Defensive Back in '05.
How He Fits: Same as Brown. Will compete for a backup corner spot, and must show he has more promise as a rookie than either of the team's two fourth-year corners, Reeves and Jones. Special teams play might decide if he makes the 53-man roster,
Worth Mentioning: Was a two-time high school state champion in the 110-meter hurdles in Michigan, and his sister, Tracy, ran track at SMU, and holds the state high school records in the 200 and 400.

(DallasCowboys.com Columnist Mickey Spagnola contributed to this report.)