PDA

View Full Version : Please take this Spurs Quiz

Kori Ellis
04-27-2007, 10:38 AM
http://sanantonio.about.com/library/Quiz/bl_spurschamps_quiz.htm

Check it for errors, etc for me, as usual. It's easier than the last one.

If you missed any of the prior quizzes, they are here. (http://sanantonio.about.com/od/historylandmarks/a/saquizzes.htm)

I'm going to sleep now. :sleep

Thanks.

T Park
04-27-2007, 10:56 AM
13 of 16

missed out on "who made the most 3 pointers" questions.

Solid D
04-27-2007, 10:58 AM
BTW, Kori, I liked your Fiesta piece. A couple of days ago, I googled Fiesta San Antonio and it came up third one listed.

http://sanantonio.about.com/od/sanantoniofestivals/p/fiestasa.htm

The Truth #6
04-27-2007, 11:19 AM
11 of 16.

angel_luv
04-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I got 9 out of 16 right which is way better than I expected to do. I never remember stats.

I can't tell you who made what the day after the game much less three years later.

baseline bum
04-27-2007, 11:29 AM
14 of 16...

I missed the question on who attempted the last field goal in 2003 (I misread it and thought 99 for some reason, and I just guessed because I didn't see AJ on the list... I remember he had a desperation 30-footer to beat the shot clock with like 5 seconds left in game 5 in MSG).

I also missed the one about most threes in the 2003 playoffs (I was sure it was Bowen) :(

angel_luv
04-27-2007, 11:31 AM
In the championship clinching game in the 2005 playoffs, which Spur attempted the game's last field goal?

This was the only question I really did not ( and didn't :) ) want to miss. I'd hate to think I forgot anything about that game. :)

johnpaulwall21
04-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Your Score: You got 15 right out of 16 questions, for a score of 93 percent.

You did great! Hopefully the Spurs win another title this season!

ashbeeigh
04-27-2007, 11:47 AM
9/16 That one was fun. I recognized more names since it was more recent information.

Solid D
04-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I missed 1. Who took the last shot in 2003?

Suggestion: Championship Run may not mean the "playoffs only" to some people when they first start answering the questions. The whole season could be construed by some people as the Championship Run. Some clarification on Page 1 may be helpful i.e. Championship Run (Playoffs)

Duncanoypi
04-27-2007, 12:31 PM
11 of 16...i thought Manu led the the team in scoring during 2005 champinoship run....grrrrrrrrrrrr....

J.T.
04-27-2007, 03:00 PM

SequSpur
04-27-2007, 03:31 PM
16 out of 16... again....

challenge this mofo... come on......

sheyitt......

:smokin

Budkin
04-27-2007, 03:42 PM
12 of 16... too many stat questions, haha.

Texas_Ranger
04-27-2007, 04:38 PM
14/16

SkunkinDuncan
04-27-2007, 05:00 PM
I got 16/16. I know more about the Spurs than most Spurs fans. Not surprising.

GrandeDavid
04-27-2007, 07:21 PM
75%...and here I thought I was a big fan. :(

Spurs Brazil
04-27-2007, 08:28 PM
15/16

Missed this one: In the championship clinching game in the 2005 playoffs, which Spur led the team in scoring?

jman3000
04-27-2007, 09:02 PM
15/16 ... missed question number 6... the one about the the highest scoring player in the clinching game in 05... i know manu and tim both had in the 20's and were within 1-2 points of each other... just couldnt remember which had what.

MI21
04-27-2007, 09:48 PM
15 out of 16.

Who attempted the last Field Goal in 2005 was the one I got wrong. Strange, considering that is probably my 2nd most watched Spur game of all time. I feel ashamed!

samikeyp
04-27-2007, 10:01 PM
16/16 :king

I got 16/16. I know more about the Spurs than most Spurs fans. Not surprising.

Oops.

THE ONE AND ONLY
04-28-2007, 01:39 AM
I guessed 4 out of 16.

Dave McNulla
04-28-2007, 02:33 AM
13, but my misses were not bad.

milkyway21
04-28-2007, 06:54 AM
i got 13 correct answers out of 16.
I was too dumb not to understand a simple question for #12 which is :
How many games did the Spurs lose during the 2003 championship run?

of course we all know we won 4-6 which makes it 8 all. And i answered 2. Dumb me :D

anyway, answering questions esp about 1999 run which is I don't really know bec I didn't watch all the games makes it even more exciting. I played Nostradamus there:D Got some right answers some didn't.

manubili
04-28-2007, 10:08 AM
I got 11 out of 16. Considering I don't have a clue about 1999 championship, (I'm form Manu's era) it isn't that bad.

FromWayDowntown
04-28-2007, 11:09 AM
I got 16/16.

I'd agree that the question about which player wasn't on the Spurs for the 1999 Championship run strikes me as a bit misleading, since Brandon Williams was waived long before the playoffs rolled around and Andrew Gaze was inactive for the entire run. I figured it must have meant which player wasn't on the roster at all for the 1999 season, but when I think of a "championship run," I usually think we're talking about playoffs.

wildbill2u
04-28-2007, 11:20 AM
http://sanantonio.about.com/library/Quiz/bl_spurschamps_quiz.htm

Check it for errors, etc for me, as usual. It's easier than the last one.

If you missed any of the prior quizzes, they are here. (http://sanantonio.about.com/od/historylandmarks/a/saquizzes.htm)

I'm going to sleep now. :sleep

Thanks.
I'm curious as to the market for this quiz, since you apparently want help to make sure it is accurate for a wider audience. I suspect that you sell these to some sports oriented publishing market. And that's great.

If that is the case, my thought as a former college teacher is this: What is the level of Spursfan interest in that audience? Is your wider audience really going to enjoy this quiz and think it is a fair test of their fandom? Are some of the questions too arcane to keep the audience interested? Or will they be turned off?

The goal of every quiz-maker should be to leave the audience saying, "Darn, I KNEW that." on misses. A quiz taker shouldn't wind up saying, "That wasn't fair. Only Sequa Spur could answer those." A quiz has to be fun, not a research project.

For example: My guess is that very few people in any audience really care or know from memory who attempted the last shot in any series, the implication being that it wasn't made and therefore wasn't important. Most people would have to guess or go to a recorded version to get the answer--unless they have an Einstein-quality IQ like Sequa Spur and remarkable powers of memory.

I found myself growing indifferent to the quiz--and simply guessing to get it over with--as I realized that a lot of the questions simply couldn't be answered without a stat book or video for reference. I lucked out with some guesses and got 8-16. I consider myself as a hard-core fan with above average intelligence and memory so a failing score obtained by luck isn't a good sign.

Spurstalk is a pretty hard-core audience and their scores and comment reflect similar problems of memory on your quizzes. An audience with lesser fan interest would probably not enjoy the quiz at all. If your goal is to sell it and keep them coming back for more, I'd try for questions that had more general interest for a more casual fan. Just my take.

Kori Ellis
04-28-2007, 11:25 AM
No, my goal isn't to sell it.

I work for About.com as their writer covering San Antonio. I write 100's of articles for them a month concerning everything about the city - events, activities, and yes, the Spurs.

In addition to standard articles, the quizzes are just part what we are to write. They vary in scope and difficulty. If you have seen the past ones posted here, some have been incredibly easy (the photo quiz), some funny obscure trivia, some stat related, etc. So they are for a variety of different audiences.

Kori Ellis
04-28-2007, 11:28 AM
I got 16/16.

I'd agree that the question about which player wasn't on the Spurs for the 1999 Championship run strikes me as a bit misleading, since Brandon Williams was waived long before the playoffs rolled around and Andrew Gaze was inactive for the entire run. I figured it must have meant which player wasn't on the roster at all for the 1999 season, but when I think of a "championship run," I usually think we're talking about playoffs.

Thanks, I'm adjusting the wording of that particular question. Brandon Williams did get a ring though. Are you sure he waived long before the playoffs?

wildbill2u
04-28-2007, 01:49 PM
No, my goal isn't to sell it.

I work for About.com as their writer covering San Antonio. I write 100's of articles for them a month concerning everything about the city - events, activities, and yes, the Spurs.

In addition to standard articles, the quizzes are just part what we are to write. They vary in scope and difficulty. If you have seen the past ones posted here, some have been incredibly easy (the photo quiz), some funny obscure trivia, some stat related, etc. So they are for a variety of different audiences.
Regardless of whether you get paid by About.com, every writer knows that his/her ability to get paying gigs is based on the amount and quality of his/her 'clips' and exposure.

Since the About.com audience no doubt has less intense knowledge of Spurs trivia than Spurstalk fans, I'd make the quizzes much easier. If this was easier than the last one in your opinion, I can't imagine the average about.com reader doing very well on the quizzes--and that take their interest out. Just trying to help.

BruceBowenFan
04-28-2007, 02:33 PM
11/16

Kori Ellis
04-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Regardless of whether you get paid by About.com, every writer knows that his/her ability to get paying gigs is based on the amount and quality of his/her 'clips' and exposure.

Since the About.com audience no doubt has less intense knowledge of Spurs trivia than Spurstalk fans, I'd make the quizzes much easier. If this was easier than the last one in your opinion, I can't imagine the average about.com reader doing very well on the quizzes--and that take their interest out. Just trying to help.

Of course I get paid by About.com - I just don't get paid per quiz or anything (that's why I said I wasn't trying to sell it). I get paid a monthly salary plus incentives. I was just trying to point out that the quizzes are less than 1% of what I write for them.

But for the record, several of the past quizzes were much easier than this (average scores being over 90%). Some are hard and some are easy.

And by the way, of the 1200+ readers (not SpursTalk) that have taken THIS particular quiz so far, the average score was 12/16. And that's about what it should be for a medium/mid-level quiz.

Thanks for the input.

FromWayDowntown
04-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks, I'm adjusting the wording of that particular question. Brandon Williams did get a ring though. Are you sure he waived long before the playoffs?

I thought I remembered him being waived early in that season. I know that the league allowed teams to suit up 14 players for the first few games that season, and I know that Williams didn't play after that rule changed, so my recollection was that he had been waived. The Spurs media guide, though, says that Williams was with the club until August 1999. That would suggest that I was wrong about his status. I guess that while I recall him playing for the Spurs that season, I just don't really think of Brandon Williams as having been a part of that team.

Sorry for the confusion.

Kori Ellis
04-28-2007, 02:50 PM
I thought I remembered him being waived early in that season. I know that the league allowed teams to suit up 14 players for the first few games that season, and I know that Williams didn't play after that rule changed, so my recollection was that he had been waived. The Spurs media guide, though, says that Williams was with the club until August 1999. That would suggest that I was wrong about his status. I guess that while I recall him playing for the Spurs that season, I just don't really think of Brandon Williams as having been a part of that team.

Sorry for the confusion.

That's okay, thanks for your help. I'll still re-word the question to indicate I'm talking about which players were on the team that year (not necessarily played during those 1999 playoffs).

timvp
04-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Sorry for the confusion.

Interestingly enough, about a month ago I watched an interview with Brandon Williams on NBATV. He's currently the Vice President of Player Development for the NBA. He came across as a really smart guy and seems to be moving up the NBA ladder rather quickly.

They asked him about his time with the Spurs during the 1999 championship run and he said that he felt that although he didn't play in the postseason, he earned the ring as much as anybody else. He said that he played the role of Kobe Bryant and Latrell Sprewell in practice and took that job seriously, studying hours of film to get down their exact moves.

It was a pretty awesome interview considering we never heard anything from him when he was a Spur. And it's another example of an ex-Spur being successful after his career.

But yeah, with as much excitement and pride he took in that championship, he'd probably cry if he read your post about being waived before the playoffs :)

Spurs Brazil
04-28-2007, 03:56 PM
That's okay, thanks for your help. I'll still re-word the question to indicate I'm talking about which players were on the team that year (not necessarily played during those 1999 playoffs).

Williams was with the team. You can see him going into the court in NY on game 5 to celebrate

FromWayDowntown
04-28-2007, 04:28 PM
But yeah, with as much excitement and pride he took in that championship, he'd probably cry if he read your post about being waived before the playoffs :)

Now I really feel bad about that error. I should have checked my references before making such a bold (and wrong) statement.

:oops

Tek_XX
04-28-2007, 05:17 PM
10 of 16

I guessed on all but 2

Who the hell can remember the last attempted field goal questions? Spurs nerds

makedamnsure
04-28-2007, 05:32 PM
12/16 is my best score yett

Obstructed_View
04-28-2007, 06:08 PM
I got 18 out of 16. I pwn all of you. :lol