PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan

AnkleBreaker21
04-27-2007, 02:07 PM
i know tim just turned 31, but how long do yall think he will keep playing.man when he's gone its going to suck

exstatic
04-27-2007, 02:13 PM
I think Kareem played and started until he was 42. That was an exception because he got cleaned out by his agent and needed money, but DRob played and started with a terrible back until he was 37. Big men last a LOT longer in the league than guards or wings. Tim can play pretty much as long as he wants to. THAT is the $64000 question: how long until Tim gets sick of it? I think that point will be reached before he breaks down physically.

Dro210
04-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I think Kareem played and started until he was 42. That was an exception because he got cleaned out by his agent and needed money, but DRob played and started with a terrible back until he was 37. Big men last a LOT longer in the league than guards or wings. Tim can play pretty much as long as he wants to. THAT is the $64000 question: how long until Tim gets sick of it? I think that point will be reached before he breaks down physically.

BINGO.... I think that's definatly gonna be the case. Not like he's got anything to prove. I just get the vibe from him that he's gonna hang it up before he has to.

I hope he stays til he's 50 tho.... or at least as long as he can contribute to the team.

spursfaninla
04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Tim will probaby want to keep playing for another 5 years at least, unless the Spurs become less competitive for a championship.

The real question, in my mind; does he take less money to help the spurs remain competitive? If he did, it would enable us to compete with the money spent on teams like Dallas.

Otherwise, the big money spenders just have a big advantage, and should win.

DarrinS
04-27-2007, 02:20 PM
I can see him lasting a lot longer if he were to (eventually) take on a reduced role, kinda like David did when Tim was drafted.

SkunkinDuncan
04-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Having won multiple championships, I'd think he would not play as long.

mardigan
04-27-2007, 02:23 PM
His minutes have steadily declind since 01-02 with him still being productive. I dont see any reason he cant be a productive player for another 3 or 4 years as long as his minutes are managed properly

exstatic
04-27-2007, 02:31 PM
His minutes have steadily declind since 01-02 with him still being productive. I dont see any reason he cant be a productive player for another 3 or 4 years as long as his minutes are managed properly
His game is very low energy, and close to the floor. There just aren't many good post players or post defenders in the NBA. Tim could probably be productive for 7 or 8 years if he remains healthy. I could see him signing a 3-4 year extension in 2010, or walking away right then. Tim is a bit of an enigma, and I think he likes it that way. I also don't see a big farewell tour. I think at the end of whatever season he retires, he just announces that he's done.

AnkleBreaker21
04-27-2007, 02:33 PM
when tim and manu leave, i wonder if parker will leave for the big city teams

dbreiden83080
04-27-2007, 03:33 PM
when tim and manu leave, i wonder if parker will leave for the big city teams

Spurs will probably let Tony go when Tim and Manu are gone. He is not a guy you can build around as good as he may become by then. He will still be young so maybe they will trade him and get some nice picks or just let him leave as a FA at the end of his current deal.

ducks
04-27-2007, 03:34 PM
i know tim just turned 31, but how long do yall think he will keep playing.man when he's gone its going to suck
why everyone said the same thing when david retired

thinks can happen

ducks
04-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Spurs will probably let Tony go when Tim and Manu are gone. He is not a guy you can build around as good as he may become by then. He will still be young so maybe they will trade him and get some nice picks or just let him leave as a FA at the end of his current deal.
in 2 years you might be suprissed

nash hit his prime with suns not mavs

all stars though need another star on the team
even kobe needs help from odom when they win

SequSpur
04-27-2007, 03:38 PM
in 2 years you might be suprissed

nash hit his prime with suns not mavs

all stars though need another star on the team
even kobe needs help from odom when they win

thanks Napoleon.

exstatic
04-27-2007, 04:06 PM
thanks Napoleon.
Shit. That's like being called a psycho by Hannibal Lechter.

SequSpur
04-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Shit. That's like being called a psycho by Hannibal Lechter.

thanks Borat.

exstatic
04-27-2007, 04:26 PM
thanks Borat.
You're welcome, Oompah Loompah.

sprrs
04-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Duncan is ultra competitive. I don't think he'd hang it up early just because he's already won.

Texas_Ranger
04-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I'll give him 4-5 years.

Brutalis
04-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Personally I wonder about how much money will he want when his contract is up if he doesn't retire. If he does the 30 million Shaq thing he will be wearing a new uniform or retiring.

v2freak
04-27-2007, 04:51 PM
He's never been very athletic. The loss of athleticism alone is the cause of a lot of lost careers. His strong fundamentals can sustain him till he's 50

kskonn
04-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Personally I wonder about how much money will he want when his contract is up if he doesn't retire. If he does the 30 million Shaq thing he will be wearing a new uniform or retiring.

I don't think that is possible. Shaq was traded so that was his current deal. I believe under the current leauge rules sthere would be a max. shaq was grandfathered in to the old rules when every team could have one franchise player.

exstatic
04-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah, there's a limit on the raise that Tim can get, year to year, including any new contracts signed. Spurs can't just pump him up to $30M, even if they wanted to.

I am curious as to what will happen in '08. Will Tim opt out and sign a lesser deal so that the Spurs can REALLY bring in a gaggle of young FA talent? Something in the nieghborhood of $8-10M per year, freeing up another $10M caproom on top of what SA already has?

MissingSanAntonio
04-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Timmy has the heart of a champion. He will be there till the end. He will keep together this team even when noone else sees it but him. That's why he is who he is. When he is gone it won't be his heart that says no. We
ll be okay. We have a great club that will hold together the bricks.

boutons_
04-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Assuming his body holds up, I don't think he will have the motivation to go to even 35.

Apparently, he's known to be slow starter, not putting out in Nov and Dec.

Now he's seems so bored and weary during the season, fed up with refs, not hustling, not really enjoying himself very much, 3 years in a row with injuries, biding his time with the pain-in-the-ass season until the playoffs start.

One could say he's kinda burned out. Being set for life financially and his limited athleticism waning visibily, the only thing his career is missing compared to the very top players is the very difficult B2B Chamiponships. If the Spurs win 07 and 08, Tim could be gone, retiring like David did, with a Championship.

sprrs
04-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Assuming his body holds up, I don't think he will have the motivation to go to even 35.

Apparently, he's known to be slow starter, not putting out in Nov and Dec.

Now he's seems so bored and weary during the season, fed up with refs, not hustling, not really enjoying himself very much, 3 years in a row with injuries, biding his time with the pain-in-the-ass season until the playoffs start.

One could say he's kinda burned out. Being set for life financially and his limited athleticism waning visibily, the only thing his career is missing compared to the very top players is the very difficult B2B Chamiponships. If the Spurs win 07 and 08, Tim could be gone, retiring like David did, with a Championship.

Dave was nowhere near as competitive as Tim. The fact that Tim always steps up his game in the playoffs proves that he still has that hunger for winning.

Typhoon
04-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Tim Duncan is the best, I hope he plays until he's like 40. :spin

Tek_XX
04-28-2007, 04:06 PM
He'll play until it's not worth playing anymore. Who knows when that will be.