PDA

View Full Version : knee/leg injuries..

LuvBones
04-27-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm wondering if anyone here went back to sports after having surgery on their leg.. particularly reconstructive surgery on your knee. I used to play volleyball until I tore my acl and its been almost a year since but I can't bring myself to go back to playing even though I would like to. I'm afraid of re-tearing it or tearing my acl in my other leg. :( I know there's quite a few people on the board that have had the same ordeal so I'm hoping to get some feedback on returning to sports or going without it. Does your knee ever go back to 100%??http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif

E20
04-27-2007, 03:26 PM
You gotta start from the ground up before actually playing 100% of the sport. Try going on a bike, do some light jumping, play some light volleyball, basically rehabiliate yourself and check with a personal trainer or your MD so they can give you the green light to play 100%

Phonzie20
04-27-2007, 03:33 PM
http://a19.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01484/81/02/1484702018_l.jpg

tlongII
04-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Please post a picture of your legs and I will give you some excellent advice.

Flight3107
04-27-2007, 03:36 PM
I had a Grade III tear of the MCL in my left knee my Junior year and was out for 4 Months and came back fine. The next year during a practice for my Hockey Travel team my right knee blew up and I was done for almost 17 months. I can say that my knee is no where close to where it used to be, but I can still play competitively. Once you get back out there without thinking about the knee you will be fine.

polandprzem
04-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Well I used to play basketball ....

MoSpur
04-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I have strained a ligament in my knee and never went to the doctor. I still play basketball and work out. Its sore for that night, but after that it is fine.

LuvBones
04-27-2007, 03:52 PM
I had a Grade III tear of the MCL in my left knee my Junior year and was out for 4 Months and came back fine. The next year during a practice for my Hockey Travel team my right knee blew up and I was done for almost 17 months. I can say that my knee is no where close to where it used to be, but I can still play competitively. Once you get back out there without thinking about the knee you will be fine.:wow You still play with your knee all messed up? I don't know if I would go back to doing anything if I blow out my knee again. It's happened twice already so i'm more hesitant to go back into it this time..

satown2150
04-27-2007, 04:23 PM
I noticed you guys talking about knee injuries. I blew my acl out playing basketball I was out for about 18 months. Then I startin playing again and noticed I was relying on my other leg more. A month later while playing I blew my so called good knee out. If you really want to start back just take it slow and easy. A brace would probably help put your mind at ease. Good Luck

TheTruth
04-27-2007, 04:26 PM
My little brother tore his PCL when he was 14, and was playing again in a few months. He also got into a car accident and broke his neck. He's playing college baseball now. He says the hardest part is getting mentally healthy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-27-2007, 08:53 PM
< --------ACL, MCL, PCL all blown in one knee.

Eight years later, I'm playing basketball, volleyball, flag football, and softball.

You can do it, just make sure you really hit the gym hard to build up your length strength to keep your knees stable.

TDMVPDPOY
04-27-2007, 10:04 PM
theres this ointment.....let me rub it on you hahhaaa

nah seriously...i never had a serious injury so wouldnt know

xcoriate
04-28-2007, 03:10 AM
As some of you will know I tore the meniscus cartilage in my left knee (lost two thirds of the inner third) playing basketball about 6 months back, obviously a different story to an ACL tear (which is what they originally thought I'd done).

Since then I have made it back to playing basketball competitavely after a large amount of rehab, mainly bike/swim. The first couple of times my knee ballooned up with fluid, and I rested it until the next game. I've found that I can avoid these issues a few ways though, I now wear a sleeve along my leg and I often ice after games in order to keep swelling down. I also was really picky about the shoes I ended up getting.

Like a couple of others have mentioned, I now favor my other leg to a certain extent (which means a lot more use of my left hand... probably need the practice anyway) and I'm still unsure when I leap off my bad leg whether I'm going to get the elevation I intend (sometimes it works, others it doesn't).

Seriously though, I wouldn't miss playing for the world and I'm glad I went back. The first game I was pretty cautious but I found that after that I was back diving on the floor and everything.

Hope whatever you decide it works out for ya. I guess just take it slow and just do what feels comfortable.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2007, 08:25 AM
http://a19.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01484/81/02/1484702018_l.jpg
who's that?

E20
04-28-2007, 04:17 PM
That's Phonzie20. :lol