PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-22-2004, 11:06 AM
This question may have come up somewhere already, but do you think this kind of punishment would have happened to a big market team like Miami or New York? I think if the NBA has any silver lining in this it's that they got a chance to torpedo a small market team that was a legit title contender in many people's opinions. If they got to the finals they could have cost the league a lot of money like the Spurs did a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I think the punishments fit the crime, but I can't help but wonder if the league wouldn't have jumped to the defense of the Lakers or the Knicks rather than calling the thunder down on them.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2004, 11:08 AM
I think the only thing that MIGHT not have happened would be the season-long suspension because David Stern did say that Artest's previous behavior did come into play when he decided his time.

FromWayDowntown
11-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I think the same suspensions would have been handed down had a similar brawl occurred under similar circumstances during a Warriors/Bobcats matchup.

And, frankly, I'd support the suspension had it been levied against a Spurs player who acted like that. The behavior is inexcusable and should be serverely punished. The fans who were involved should be smacked down, too, but the players should know better than this, regardless of their identity or the team they play for.

Phenomanul
11-22-2004, 01:38 PM
The provoking fans should not be allowed to litigate.... otherwise it gives other crazy fans the incentive to 'earn' free money from the rule-restrained athletes...

FromWayDowntown
11-22-2004, 02:25 PM
well, those fans can try to litigate, but their actions will be part of the consideration in any civil action that they might file and will likely preclude any recovery of damages.

The apparently innocent guy that Artest attacked first, however, would seem to be on the cusp of attaining a small fortune.