PDA

View Full Version : Wish we still had Steven Jackson

Man of Steel
04-28-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm trying to remember why we lost him--but is there anyway that we might be able to get him again? Anyone know when his contract is up?

E20
04-28-2007, 01:02 AM
The Warriors are clogged with 6'8" SF's that the Spurs could use.

BTW, Love the sig. :lol

ploto
04-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Actually, in 2004 the Spurs chose Brent Barry over both Jax and Hedo - partially because Barry took less $ and for a shorter time than the MLE deals that both Jax and Hedo got.

THE SIXTH MAN
04-28-2007, 01:03 AM
I remember people thinking after the trade that buckets would get waived because of to many wings. But it looks like nellie had a plan all along. :smokin

Buddy Holly
04-28-2007, 01:05 AM
I gotta wonder where this "why don't we still have Jax" talk wasn't going on prior to him joining the Warriors.

Don Nelson's system is making him better. Davis is making him better. Without those two he's still the turnover prone, streak shooter and chucker he's always been.

Would it be great if he were still here with Manu, yeah. He's younger than what has replaced him, he's more athletic as well.

However, he's no one to cry about.

Big Shot Rob
04-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Jax played pretty well for us.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
04-28-2007, 01:12 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/JacksonHappy.jpghttp://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/spurschamps/slideshows/spurslakersgame6/images/14.jpghttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2003/playoffs/news/2003/06/15/jackson_sider_ap/t1_jackson_ap.jpg
http://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/spurschamps/slideshows/spurslakersgame6/images/1.jpg

It seems like yesterday.

sabar
04-28-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't like his streakiness, but when he starts nailing shots, it's great. He'd bring a lot of emotion and energy if he was still with us. Oh well.

lefty
04-28-2007, 01:17 AM
Jax is streaky, but he is clutch ; he's made some big shots for the Spurs, and for the Pacers too

Cloud786
04-28-2007, 01:20 AM
He's playing good D on dirk as well. We could definitiely use him.. but I still think we can get it done with what we have.

SRJ
04-28-2007, 01:47 AM
Can we just sticky one "I Miss Jax" thread for future reference?

slayermin
04-28-2007, 02:06 AM
He makes love to pressure.

Also, TD seemed to be a different player with Jack on the team. He's from Texas. If it's doable, it makes sense to me.

dg7md
04-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Can we just sticky one "I Miss Jax" thread for future reference?

:lmao

timvp
04-28-2007, 02:21 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/matthew1990burger/NFLF-Steven_Jackson_111305.jpg

Yeah, he's probably better than Beno.

Das Texan
04-28-2007, 02:39 AM
I love how it seems Jax is bringing that championship experience to that team.

And he is having fun again. Hopefully he can really have a full rebirth out there.

Wasnt the whole Jax thing more about wanting to have money to sign a certain Argentian guard in a year or two more than anything? Since Jax wanted more than MLE money.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-28-2007, 02:57 AM
Jackson is doing a great job of staying with Dirk and keeping a hand in his face.

rwb
04-28-2007, 03:05 AM
I just don't get the Jax love. Him getting himself thrown out of the game the other night probably cost his team the win. I don't want to see him back as a Spur unless he can keep his mouth shut and out of trouble. It just seems like once he left SA he became a loose cannon, literally. Maybe he could fit back in and get rid of the gangsta crap, but I'm okay with him being gone.

Snake
04-28-2007, 03:09 AM
I remember him wearing those black wristbands up above the elbows...

PM5K
04-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Him getting himself thrown out of the game the other night probably cost his team the win.

They were down by fifteen with four minutes to go...

If anybody cost their team the win it was Baron Davis, he got thrown out when they were down by eleven before the fourth quarter had started.

Dumbass...

ATXSPUR
04-28-2007, 08:54 AM
I just don't get the Jax love. Him getting himself thrown out of the game the other night probably cost his team the win. I don't want to see him back as a Spur unless he can keep his mouth shut and out of trouble. It just seems like once he left SA he became a loose cannon, literally. Maybe he could fit back in and get rid of the gangsta crap, but I'm okay with him being gone.

He was a great player. And besides...sometimes the spurs need a bit of that emotional gangsta light a fire swagger. That is why I love jax and malik. They could both throw their weight around and wouldnt take shit from anybody. I mimss them both. I still say with jax we dont lose to the lakers in 04 or dallas last year.

cambrad
04-28-2007, 09:10 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/matthew1990burger/NFLF-Steven_Jackson_111305.jpg

Yeah, he's probably better than Beno.

doh! beat me to the punch.

exstatic
04-28-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm trying to remember why we lost him--but is there anyway that we might be able to get him again? Anyone know when his contract is up?
For someone who has all that shit about AI in his sig, wanting Stephen Jackson back is RICH. You know Jack is pretty likely going to jail, right? Discharging that firearm outside the club was a violation (felony) of the probation he was on for the Malice in the Palace.

DDUBB1770
04-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Hes a talented player but he makes so many bad decisions, Pop wouldnt be able to play him anymore than 15 min a game. Better left in GS.

PM5K
04-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Hes a talented player but he makes so many bad decisions, Pop wouldnt be able to play him anymore than 15 min a game. Better left in GS.

Damn, the idiots are out today...

Pop played him almost thirty minutes a game during the regular season and more than thirty minutes a game once the playoffs started...

PM5K
04-28-2007, 11:32 AM
And for the record, it's Stephen...

wildbill2u
04-28-2007, 11:38 AM
If he had remained here, he would have remained on the bench behind Bowen or Manu. He believed, and rightly so, that he could become a starter on another less talented team.

So, he spurned the Spurs offer and when no team in the league offered him equal or more money, he played for less with another team.

Meanwhile, his gangsta image and ego took over, much moreso than when he played for the Spurs. Once you're a starter, the modest attitude of a bench player disappears and any ego or character flaws begin to appear.

Unless he get 'celebrity' treatment from an Indianapolis jury--and they have no reason to love him now-- his next place of employment will soon be settled. (HINT: They won't send him to the Spurs)

If he were still here, he'd either put Bowen on the bench or be disruptive. Which do you choose?

Kori Ellis
04-28-2007, 11:44 AM
If he were still here, he'd either put Bowen on the bench or be disruptive. Which do you choose?

If he were still here, I'd guess he'd be starting right now, taking over Finley's minutes.

PM5K
04-28-2007, 11:46 AM

I'm not sure that's totally accurate, he would take time from the guys we've brought in to replace him since he departed, Finley and Barry.

I know I sure would have rather had him here than Hedo, we'd probably have at least one more ring than we have now.

PM5K
04-28-2007, 11:46 AM
If he were still here, I'd guess he'd be starting right now, taking over Finley's minutes.

Beat me to it...

exstatic
04-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Damn, the idiots are out today...

Pop played him almost thirty minutes a game during the regular season and more than thirty minutes a game once the playoffs started...
Yeah, and he dribbled the ball of his leg, threw it away, and checked up bad shots...until the fourth quarter. Jack is Robert Horry, in miniature. Instead of not giving a fuck for the first 3/4 of the season, he doesn't GAF for the first 3/4 of every game.

gameFACE
04-28-2007, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't mind him on the team at all. Even though he steps out of bounds at least once a game. I hope SJax and the Warriors put it to the Mavs tomorrow.

He's would be an appropriate amount of edginess on the Spurs as he was when he was here. No problem fitting in. I love watching him on the 2003 DVD.

DarrinS
04-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Yeah, and he dribbled the ball of his leg, threw it away, and checked up bad shots...until the fourth quarter. Jack is Robert Horry, in miniature. Instead of not giving a fuck for the first 3/4 of the season, he doesn't GAF for the first 3/4 of every game.

I agree. His entire game is about spotting up for a jump shot. And he's even streaky with that. His ball handling skills are atrocious.

doldrums
04-28-2007, 11:55 AM
he didn't play well last night, made some bonehead moves.

PM5K
04-28-2007, 12:21 PM
he didn't play well last night, made some bonehead moves.

He may not have played well in your mind, but I'd love to have a guy that can put up 16 points, even though he only shot 33% (because he got to the line to the tune of 80%) and had 8 boards 6 assists 2 steals and 1 block.

Sure the four turnovers sucked, but if that's a bad game I'll take a bad game any day...

SPARKY
04-28-2007, 12:26 PM
I'd take Jack over Barry or Finley right now (though Finley isn't doing that bad). Spurs need someone with some nuts on the perimeter who wants to take the big shot. They had that in '99 with Sean. In '03 with Jack and Kerr. In '05 with Horry. Today, that guy is Finley. The fault for Jack not being a Spur today lies with both sides, but it probably has cost the Spurs at least one more title, IMO. :hat

mikejones99
04-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Spurs still goin but if not, it would be classic to see Sjax and GS go to the finals against Detroit. They would probly try to get him arrested again. He would need a vest. :blah

wildbill2u
04-28-2007, 12:29 PM
That's a good point to refute my post which wasn't worded too well. What I meant was if he'd remained, he would've wanted to be a starter. Being a starter--or not--is a big ego thing with most players.

Jackson would've wanted a starting job and put either Manu or Bowen on the bench. I question whether his penchant for being a ball-hog and the flaws in his other skills along with his growing character problems would have made him a good fit in the Spurs team concept.

Still, perhaps it would have worked out, but he chose to leave for greener pastures. I don't think there is a serious possibility of his return, do you?

mikejones99
04-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Not enough strip clubs in San Antonio

Dex
04-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Those of you who say Stephen Jackson didn't do anything for us need to go back and watch the 2003 DVD. That guy made huge shots for us in pretty much every series.

People are willing to build Steve Kerr a shrine for his Rain Of Threes, but people forget that it was Stephen Jackson who STARTED that storm with back-to-back treys. Sure, one was a bad shot chucked up in transition, but if that shot doesn't fall, Dallas doesn't call timeout, Kerr doesnt make it into the game on the following inbounds, and we more-than-like dont beat the Mavericks...or win a championship...that year.

The guy left because he got a big head and wanted a bigger wallet. He got his paycheck, and has bounced around the league since leaving, so it's really nothing worth bitching over.

But to say Stephen Jackson did nothing for us is not giving that guy his due. And even HE deserves that much. He earned that 2003 ring as much as anybody.

picnroll
04-28-2007, 01:51 PM
If we're playing what ifs I'd take Josh Howard over Jack.

exstatic
04-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Those of you who say Stephen Jackson didn't do anything for us need to go back and watch the 2003 DVD. That guy made huge shots for us in pretty much every series.

People are willing to build Steve Kerr a shrine for his Rain Of Threes, but people forget that it was Stephen Jackson who STARTED that storm with back-to-back treys. Sure, one was a bad shot chucked up in transition, but if that shot doesn't fall, Dallas doesn't call timeout, Kerr doesnt make it into the game on the following inbounds, and we more-than-like dont beat the Mavericks...or win a championship...that year.

The guy left because he got a big head and wanted a bigger wallet. He got his paycheck, and has bounced around the league since leaving, so it's really nothing worth bitching over.

But to say Stephen Jackson did nothing for us is not giving that guy his due. And even HE deserves that much. He earned that 2003 ring as much as anybody.
Um, who said Jack didn't do anything? He's a chucker and a horrible ball handler, but he's money in the fourth. It's just that watching him in Qs 1-3 is like watching a car wreck. Again, he's money, but he is very LIMITED in skills and probably more suited to a bench role, which he will not accept.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-28-2007, 04:18 PM
I wish the Spurs still had him

Nikos
04-28-2007, 04:19 PM
I'd take Jax for his defense, and ability to have the occasional outburst of scoring games. Finley and Barry very rarely will explode WHILE playing excellent defense at the 3. Jax was an above average defender in the Spurs system, and a mediocre offensive player who had the ability to have a handful of huge games in the playoffs. Erratic, but a valuable role player.

timvp
04-28-2007, 04:48 PM
If the Spurs had SJax to defend Dirk last season, do the Mavs even win a game?

Nikos
04-28-2007, 04:55 PM

This is the sad thing about it. Any long SF with some scoring skills would have made the Spurs a superior team to the Mavs. To me the Big Three outplayed their Big Three, and were superior all of last season. Even this season I think the Spurs big three is superior (even with Howard's improvement, and the fact that Manu doesn't play huge minutes).

Even Hedo would matchup OK with Howard or Dirk -- but Hedo probably would choke offensively as a Spur. Jackson would have at least one game where he probably explodes from three.

I have to agree. If the Spurs had Jax, they would be a superior team to the Mavs. But without a long SF, their weaknesses are exposed even more, despite have superior players at the top then most teams.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-28-2007, 05:03 PM

no

*sheds tear*

exstatic
04-28-2007, 05:34 PM
:dramaquee Oh, the drama. We had Jax AND Drob in 2003 and they somehow managed to take TWO games.

Dex
04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Um, who said Jack didn't do anything? He's a chucker and a horrible ball handler, but he's money in the fourth. It's just that watching him in Qs 1-3 is like watching a car wreck. Again, he's money, but he is very LIMITED in skills and probably more suited to a bench role, which he will not accept.

I'll give you that. Jackson always had the tendency of chucking up some Francis-esque shots, except the key difference is he seemed to have the capability of MAKING them when they were really needed.

Sure, he was a loose cannon, and still is...but it's amazing how many times it took a loose cannon to wake up the Spurs offense in that championship run. I'll take an early three in the shot clock if it has the potential to be a haymaker blow...that is, as long as it's not Van Exel putting it up anymore.

Nikos
04-28-2007, 05:40 PM
:dramaquee Oh, the drama. We had Jax AND Drob in 2003 and they somehow managed to take TWO games.

Well for one, I think the Mavs would still win 2-3 games last year. But the Spurs would probably get Game 7.

But anyhow, the Spurs in 2003 did not have a prime Ginobili, and a prime? Tony Parker. Big difference in offense right there. They had more quality players 1-8 then today's Spurs -- the big three 2007 has a decent edge over Duncan TP Robinson in 2003.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2007, 05:53 PM
It just seems like once he left SA he became a loose cannon, figuratively.
Fixed.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2007, 05:55 PM
The Spurs were really talented with Jack, and really underachieving. They played just enough to win and played in spurts. Jack still plays that way. I'm glad he's doing well, but the situation worked out pretty well for everyone involved except Indiana.