View Full Version : "Bob was the best coach that I've had in my career"

Bruno
04-28-2007, 06:26 AM
:lmao

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003684475_soni28.html

Sonics' Allen laments Hill's dismissal

By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter

Bob Hill is no longer the Sonics' coach, but he won't be forgotten any time soon. At least not by Ray Allen.

"Bob was the best coach that I've had in my career," the All-Star Sonics guard said. "He and I were able to discuss things on and off the floor. Through 82 games, our relationship was great under some tough circumstances.

"He would have been great for me for the rest of my career. I understand the organization has to do what's best for them and I stand by the organization, because it's not about me and what I want or did not want. But I'm not happy that Bob is gone. Not at all."

Since his rookie year in 1996, Allen has had five head coaches (Chris Ford, George Karl, Nate McMillan, Bob Weiss and Hill). He said Hill had the most positive influence on his career.

Under Hill in 2006-07, Allen averaged a career-best 26.4 points during a 55-game season that was shortened by foot injuries. He averaged 25.1 in 2005-06, when Hill replaced Weiss midway through the season.

Despite Seattle's 31-51 record, the franchise's worst in 21 years, Allen wanted Hill to return. He never shared his opinions with owner Clay Bennett, though.

"I had no clue what [Bennett] was going to do," Allen said. "During those last couple of weeks, when we talked it was about my injury."

Allen missed the final 16 games of the season because of a bone spur in his left ankle, and on April 7 he had surgery on both ankles. Allen said the procedures were more extensive than anticipated.

Dr. Richard Ferkel needed four hours to remove spurs from Allen's left ankle and two hours to extract loose particles and scar tissue from his right ankle.

Allen stopped wearing a walking boot on his right foot Friday and will stop wearing the left walking boot next week. He's scheduled to visit Ferkel for an examination in a couple of weeks. Allen, who was originally given a two- to three-month timetable for recovery, said he believes he's on schedule.

"More than anything, I've got peace of mind knowing I won't have to worry about my joints for a while," said Allen, who had right ankle surgery in 2003.

While he recovers at his Issaquah home, Allen plans to closely monitor the search for a new coach and a general manager to replace Rick Sund. Allen hasn't been in contact with team president Lenny Wilkens, who is leading the searches, but he's willing to offer advice if asked.

When told that the two previous coaches he endorsed — Weiss in 2005 and Hill in '06 — combined for a 66-98 record, Allen said: "More than anything, I was supporting continuity. Those are good men who did everything they could to put us in a position to win. They worked diligently to make us a champion.

"We as players, we let them down. I guess I'd have to say the best man for the job is somebody who can come in and adapt to what we have here."

Allen also said he'll do everything he can to help the Sonics retain forward Rashard Lewis, who plans to opt out of the final two years of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.

Two years ago, Allen was in a similar position. Like Lewis, he was one of the top free agents on the market, seeking a maximum-level contract. Instead, Allen agreed on a five-year deal when he was eligible for six and re-signed with Seattle before visiting any other team.

"I knew what I had here as a team and that's something that I hope Rashard realizes," said Allen. "He's getting older and the older you get, the more costlier it is for you in terms of your career if you make a mistake.

"Teams are going to throw money at him. The important thing is not let your ego get caught up in that. I fully support guys getting the best deal that they can get, but there's no price on peace of mind. [Lewis] has to know that he has a place on this team and in this community that's special, and you can't put a value on that."

Extra Stout
04-28-2007, 08:41 AM
He was a gutless pussy just like me.