PDA

View Full Version : This year's Mavs = most overrated team in NBA history?

Mavschick
04-28-2007, 07:30 AM
Seriously.

Looks like the Mavs are on their way to topping their flameout of last year and the 1st-seeded Sonics getting upset by the 8th-seeded Nuggets 12 years ago for the worst choke job in NBA history.

How does supposedly the best team in the league get its ass beaten so badly by arguably the worst team in the playoffs? How does it score so little against one of the worst defensive teams in the league? There's such a hilariously huge irony in DAL losing to the coach it threw over because he supposedly couldn't get them anywhere in the playoffs.

This is why I wonder there are separate regular season and playoff MVP awards. It should be the entire body of work over the year that determines who's the MVP. You lead your team to 67 wins but then your team gets it ass kicked by GS in the first round and you supposedly should be deemed the best player in the league that season? Don't think so. As Di_k has shown, what you accomplish during the regular season alone means di_k. Duncan or Nash will win playoff MVP as one of them leads their team to the NBA championship rendering Dirk's winning of the regular-season award a pathetically insignificant accomplishment.

P.S. SA in the NBA finals: 3 appearances - 3 championships

HOU in the NBA finals: 2 appearances - 2 championships

DAL in the NBA finals: 1 appearance - 0 championships -> gets its ass beaten by a heavy underdog

Dallas is a disgrace to the state of Texas and the Western conference.

P.S. DAL = 1-8 vs GS over their last 9 games or something like that. Crazy.

DarrinS
04-28-2007, 07:43 AM
I don't think they're overrated. They just have to play the way that got them to their NBA-best record.

There were serveral things that happened last night to create the "perfect storm", if you will, and resulted in a Dallas beat down last night.

For one thing, that crowd was pumped and so was their team. They were out-hustling the Mavs to get every lose ball and rebound. At the same time, Dallas was under a lot of pressue and didn't take care of the ball very well. That resulted in a TON of fast break points for GS. Then, you get a guy like Jason Richardson catch fire. On the Mavs side, Diop played almost 17 minutes and got only ONE rebound. I'm at a loss to understand why Avery is playing Devin George and Greg Buckner so much vs. his bigs. Damp got 8 boards in his 12 minutes.

So, anyway, I think Mavs can still win, but they need to play more disciplined basketball -- the kind of play that got them there. Also, Stack needs to show up in a big way. Right now, GS is not respecting Mavs perimeter game and is clogging the paint.

That is all.

DarrinS
04-28-2007, 07:45 AM
I'll add one more thing.

They way GS played last night, they would have given any NBA team a hard time.

ponky
04-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Seriously.

Looks like the Mavs are on their way to topping their flameout of last year and the 1st-seeded Sonics getting upset by the 8th-seeded Nuggets 12 years ago for the worst choke job in NBA history.

How does supposedly the best team in the league get its ass beaten so badly by arguably the worst team in the playoffs? How does it score so little against one of the worst defensive teams in the league? There's such a hilariously huge irony in DAL losing to the coach it threw over because he supposedly couldn't get them anywhere in the playoffs.

This is why I wonder there are separate regular season and playoff MVP awards. It should be the entire body of work over the year that determines who's the MVP. You lead your team to 67 wins but then your team gets it ass kicked by GS in the first round and you supposedly should be deemed the best player in the league that season? Don't think so. As Di_k has shown, what you accomplish during the regular season alone means di_k. Duncan or Nash will win playoff MVP as one of them leads their team to the NBA championship rendering Dirk's winning of the regular-season award a pathetically insignificant accomplishment.

DAL in the NBA finals: 1 appearance - 0 championships -> gets its ass beaten by a heavy underdog

No offense but a team with Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Stephen Jackson and (co-high school player of the year with Greg Oden) Monta Ellis, is far from the worst team in the playoffs. The Warriors are the eighth seed in large part due to their injuries (Baron, J-Rich and Monta). Had they stayed healthy they probably would've surpassed the Lakers, Nuggets and Rockets in the seeding. Oh, and before you talk about being a disgrace to anything NBA-related, maybe you should check out some of the sub 0.500 teams in the playoffs, particularly im the East. Thanks for dissing *your* team, don't bother watching game four.

DarrinS
04-28-2007, 07:54 AM
No offense but a team with Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Stephen Jackson and (co-high school player of the year with Greg Oden) Monta Ellis, is far from the worst team in the playoffs. The Warriors are the eighth seed in large part due to their injuries (Baron, J-Rich and Monta). Had they stayed healthy they probably would've surpassed the Lakers, Nuggets and Rockets in the seeding. Oh, and before you talk about being a disgrace to anything NBA-related, maybe you should check out some of the sub 0.500 teams in the playoffs, particularly im the East. Thanks for dissing *your* team, don't bother watching game four.

Well said.

Ponky, Mavs win game 4 and this is a completely different series, but game 4 is a MUST.

ponky
04-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Well said.

Ponky, Mavs win game 4 and this is a completely different series, but game 4 is a MUST.

Thanks, mavschick sounds like the typical *Dallas* fan who casually watches their Dallas area teams but doesn't know too much about the game in depth. I'm glad I live in Austin! :lol

Anyway, yeah, game 4 is definitely a must or IMO, it's over for the Mavericks.

bdictjames
04-28-2007, 08:18 AM
I'd rather for the Mavs to give it to Dirk and he will post up and do that midrange fadeaway jumper he does so well. Slow down the game.

bdictjames
04-28-2007, 08:20 AM
So ponky you're a Mavs and a Warriors fan now? Weird.. What are you when watching a game do you act like you're bipolar or something?

DarrinS
04-28-2007, 08:20 AM
I'd rather for the Mavs to give it to Dirk and he will post up and do that midrange fadeaway jumper he does so well. Slow down the game.

They haven't been able to do that. They need to take better care of the ball. I don't know how many fast break points GS had, 50?

bdictjames
04-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Yeah.. I cant believe Im saying this, but I feel damn sorry for Dirk. Did you see the look at his face? He's even hustling for rebounds and playing good defense but he still gets schooled by Davis and Jackson. I hope they give him the season MVP as a consolation prize.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2007, 08:27 AM
This series isn't over.

They are the Mavs afterall, and it's only a 2-1 defecit.

1Parker1
04-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Here's the scary part though: If the refs didn't so blatantly bail the Mavs out in Game 2.....they could possibly have been down 3-0 right now. :wow :wow

spursincharge
04-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Seriously.

CORRECTION: Houston 4 appearances, 2 championships...I don't want to give Houston the credit that only the Spurs deserve cause they suck too

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Here's the scary part though: If the refs didn't so blatantly bail the Mavs out in Game 2.....they could possibly have been down 3-0 right now. :wow :wowwhat a nice thought for Spurs fans... :downspin:

I will love the Warriors if they knock out the Mavs

This would also make the two teams competing for the title just a year ago be down 3-0 in the first round. I doubt that's ever happened.

pking
04-28-2007, 11:39 AM
So blatantly bail the Mavs out? Dudes deserved what they got -- even their coach thought they deserved what they got. Kinda stupid to see something like that as a 'bail out' and besides that -- the game was obviously not wrapped up but it was the very end of the third when BD was booted and we were up by 11. It's not like GS had a lead and since they got tossed we were able to pull it out.

You're a true fan, Mavschick. Yep.

I'm worried, no doubt. But to make it like we're getting beaten by pond scum is just preposterous. And the 'most overrated team in NBA history'? You're a genius...you obviously don't pay a lot of attention to the NBA/Sports media. Local Dallas media, maybe...but duh, any team that just had 67 wins - their local media is going to act like the team is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Hey! You can be from Dallas and be a real fan!! :lol

SpursDynasty
04-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Dallas is overrated because once they beat SA - They were considered the best team in the NBA, but still didn't prove anything the rest of the way last year and haven't proved anything this playoffs. They are only 7-8 in the playoffs since that Game 7 victory. 67-15 might as well be 47-35.

I'm glad that the truth about teams comes out in the playoffs.

TDMVPDPOY
04-28-2007, 12:18 PM
they are up there with the worst championship defenders miami heat

angel_luv
04-28-2007, 12:27 PM
they are up there with the worst championship defenders miami heat

Word.

Dallas is a close second but finishes behind Miami.

Poor Mavs- can't even win the "lamest team" title. :lol

Tigole Bitties
04-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah.. I cant believe Im saying this, but I feel damn sorry for Dirk. Did you see the look at his face? He's even hustling for rebounds and playing good defense but he still gets schooled by Davis and Jackson. I hope they give him the season MVP as a consolation prize.

http://espn.go.com/photo/2007/0427/nba_g_nowitzki_268.jpg

td4mvp3
04-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Here's the scary part though: If the refs didn't so blatantly bail the Mavs out in Game 2.....they could possibly have been down 3-0 right now. :wow :wow
the scarier thing is that, game one, for whatever reason, the warriors win by 12. game two, everyone's pumped and everyone knows it's a dog fight, the warriors two best scorers get tossed (their best is tossed in the third), and the mavericks pull out a 13 point win? one better than what the warriors could muster at full strength? doesn't seem to bode well.

Mavschick
04-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Last year's finals and the 1st-seed Sonics being upset by the 8th-seed Nuggets in the first-round of the '94 playoffs were the biggest choke jobs in NBA history. It's kind of an bad way to gain notoriety, but it now looks like we'll have committed two of the three worst choke jobs in NBA history. At least it's spring and there are the Rangers to dull the pain over the next few months...oh wait...well, at least there are the Cowboys and their new coach who has an 0-3 record in the playoffs after that...oh wait...well, the Stars then....uh...sigh.......

Cry Havoc
04-30-2007, 09:31 AM
For one thing, that crowd was pumped and so was their team. They were out-hustling the Mavs to get every lose ball and rebound. At the same time, Dallas was under a lot of pressue and didn't take care of the ball very well. That resulted in a TON of fast break points for GS. Then, you get a guy like Jason Richardson catch fire. On the Mavs side, Diop played almost 17 minutes and got only ONE rebound. I'm at a loss to understand why Avery is playing Devin George and Greg Buckner so much vs. his bigs. Damp got 8 boards in his 12 minutes.

I have to think part of the reason for the lack of boards by Diop is that he was constantly stepping across the lane to block shots and pick up defensive assignments. This leaves him well out of position to get a rebound. I think Damp is a little slower to react, so he's out of position for the block but can get a rebound on the backside of a miss.

sribb43
04-30-2007, 10:41 AM
I dont think the Mavs were ever seen as a 67 win team that should be put in the class of the other teams that rank in the top 10 of all-time regular season victories(Bulls, Lakers, etc). However, they are the biggest chokers of all-time, losing the finals after 2-0 lead then the following year winning 67 games, only to fall in the 1st round to the 8th seed

Chris Childs
04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I dont think the Mavs were ever seen as a 67 win team that should be put in the class of the other teams that rank in the top 10 of all-time regular season victories(Bulls, Lakers, etc). However, they are the biggest chokers of all-time, losing the finals after 2-0 lead then the following year winning 67 games, only to fall in the 1st round to the 8th seed

This Post........Gets my Approval.

DDS4
04-30-2007, 10:56 AM
1. It ain't over yet.

2. Regular season means nothing. GS was one of the hottest teams going into the playoffs. They had the hardest remaining schedule also.

3. Warriors are a nightmarish matchup for the Mavs. Mavs don't have a post presence to punish the Warriors for going small all time.

4. Mavs have to get their head out of their asses and stop putting pressure on themselves to win the damn championship. They've made some bad mistakes down the stretch, especially in game 4. Like they've never played a playoff game before.

hater
04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
IF they lose the series. they will most definitely be in the history books as the biggest chokers. That Seattle Sonic team always gets mentioned before round 1 starts. If Dallas loses, they will be mentioned in their place from now on for years and years and years

RonMexico
04-30-2007, 12:22 PM
I compared them earlier in the year to the 1994 Supersonics in terms of how they've taken the league by storm during the regular season and seem poised for a Finals run, but have looked past their 1st-round opponent and couldn't close the deal.

It was George Karl's fault back then... I think we could also point the fingers at Avery right now.

LEONARD
04-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Nah, they're just matched up against the one team that gives them hell...

Nellie knows Dirk and most of the team and GS has ridiculous confidence against them...

If the Clippers would've got in they'd probably have been swept and the Mavs would be kicked back watching the Rockets-Jazz series...

mardigan
04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Im still convinced that the Mavs will win the series. The Warriors are better than a 41 or 42 win team. If healthy and with the team they have now for a whole season this team could have easily won 50 games

Amuseddaysleeper
04-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Right now, the Mavs had the biggest collapse in NBA finals history as well as the biggest upset in rd 1 history in terms of the difference of w-l between the two teams should they lose this series. Which obviously isn't a great thing to be remembered for.

I can't see the warriors getting past rd 2 should they advance, I think while they are a good team, this is much more of a case of a horrible matchup for Dallas than a team that isn't what I'd really call "elite" though they are peaking at the right time

Islymore
Im still convinced that the Mavs will win the series.

for some reason... I am too.

Amuseddaysleeper
Im still convinced that the Mavs will win the series.

I feel the same way. I hope GS has the ability to seal the deal, but I'm not counting the Mavs out

monosylab1k
04-30-2007, 12:32 PM
It's never over until it's over....and I really hope this team shoots my DUMP DIRK! campaign out of the sky....but i just don't see it. I see a team that has no heart playing like pussies. It won't change.

RonMexico
04-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I feel the same way. I hope GS has the ability to seal the deal, but I'm not counting the Mavs out

It's win-win though, because if they win, it HAS to go 7 and then they're worn out, emotionally exhausted and have to go and play 1 of 2 teams that could give them a hard time: Houston or Utah.

Shades of Suns' run from last year... could be two 7-game series before they get to the WCF (IF they do...)

mFFL03
04-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Right now, the Mavs had the biggest collapse in NBA finals history as well as the biggest upset in rd 1 history in terms of the difference of w-l between the two teams should they lose this series. Which obviously isn't a great thing to be remembered for.

I can't see the warriors getting past rd 2 should they advance, I think while they are a good team, this is much more of a case of a horrible matchup for Dallas than a team that isn't what I'd really call "elite" though they are peaking at the right time

1 or two things will happen....blow by everyone and win the title...

or start getting tired as they only have 6 rotating players.....and lose in the WCF to the suns

Cry Havoc
04-30-2007, 12:41 PM
1 or two things will happen....blow by everyone and win the title...

or start getting tired as they only have 6 rotating players.....and lose in the WCF to the Spurs

Yep.

MrChug
04-30-2007, 12:44 PM
It's not over...this thread is a jinx.

Way to work the reverse-mojo Mavschick. ;)

SRJ
04-30-2007, 01:25 PM
I dont think the Mavs were ever seen as a 67 win team that should be put in the class of the other teams that rank in the top 10 of all-time regular season victories(Bulls, Lakers, etc).

To me, it's very simple. Had they won the title after that 67-15 season, they'd be in that group. Maybe at the bottom of that group, but still in that group. Now, their playoff result so far is validating the perception you had going into the playoffs, but I'd rather evaluate teams after it's all said and done.

I happen to think market size enters into that perception anyway. You mentioned the Lakers and Bulls, but no one ever seems to recall the 1971 Bucks when discussions about these all-time great teams comes up.

bdictjames
04-30-2007, 01:28 PM
It just seems that Dallas has gone out of weapons to use against Nellie.

dbreiden83080
04-30-2007, 01:31 PM
I still don't think the series is over mainly because the Mavs were in control of that game most of the way and just lost it in the end. No way they lose game 5 at home, it may be close but they are going to at least put the pressure on the Warriors to close them out at home in game 6.