PDA

View Full Version : The Emphatic Win - Altitude Is Overrated

GrandeDavid
04-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Denver shot 30 free throws to San Antonio's 14.

No crying, no excuses, so if George Karl is basically himself tonight and points fingers at anyone but himself and his players, then click "mute" on your remote. San Antonio showed some championship poise and meant business.

This series is not over yet, I am well aware of that fact.

Altitude is overrated.

ducks
04-28-2007, 09:48 PM
no it is not
have you ever been that high
I have it sucks

leemajors
04-28-2007, 09:49 PM
no it is not
I have it sucks

it sucks if you exert yourself that first time and aren't acclimated. basically triggered a migraine for me last time.

WalterBenitez
04-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Denver shot 30 free throws to San Antonio's 14.

No crying, no excuses, so if George Karl is basically himself tonight and points fingers at anyone but himself and his players, then click "mute" on your remote. San Antonio showed some championship poise and meant business.

This series is not over yet, I am well aware of that fact.

Altitude is overrated.

Damm again ... only 30 shots ... : :dramaquee

ShoogarBear
04-28-2007, 09:51 PM
I've run a couple of 5Ks at altitude.

They suck.

GrandeDavid
04-28-2007, 09:51 PM
no it is not
I have it sucks

I recently did a 10K run near Puebla, Mexico, which is almost two miles high. I did feel the altitude, but again, thought it was overrated. Now, I'm not getting into the long term physiological effects.

The Spurs have won their last three playoff games in Denver, so that is why I say that "altitude is overrated".

SPARKY
04-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Denver is good enough to take a game from the Spurs in this series, maybe 2, but tonight's game exposed them. When it was winning time the Spurs stepped up and grabbed the game by its throat. Denver wasn't able to regroup and mount a serious run at the lead. Their D sucks too. I love the playoffs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Only time I've ever been to Denver I had a hangover and tried to go for a walk in a park in Boulder, in the hills. Lasted about 500m then decided to sit on a rock and just enjoy the view.

Altitude does suck.

We're at 600m here, so I guess I'm a little acclimatised to it, but not to mile-high!

bonesinaz
04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
no it is not
I have it sucks

I live a mile high. There is an advantage though, when I do down to sea level, I feel like a super ahthlete.

baseline bum
04-28-2007, 10:03 PM
When I go hiking up in Yosemite, at 6,000 feet or so, I actually breathe way better. Tells you all you need to know about the air quality in my usual home of LA. :lol

bonesinaz
04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
When I go hiking up in Yosemite, at 6,000 feet or so, I actually breathe way better. Tells you all you need to know about the air quality in my usual home of LA. :lol

My M-I-L lives east of LA. She lives in a nasty town that I thought was pretty flat. Then one visit the smog cleared and I couldn't believe it. She lives next to a mountain that I never saw before.

baseline bum
04-28-2007, 10:11 PM
My M-I-L lives east of LA. She lives in a nasty town that I thought was pretty flat. Then one visit the smog cleared and I couldn't believe it. She lives next to a mountain that I never saw before.

East of LA is pretty disgusting. It literally looks like a perpetual shit-cloud over the area east of LA, whose air quality makes LA itself look like fucking Greenland or something.

GrandeDavid
04-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Alright then, you guys win! Altitude can be harsh, but for the Spurs it evidently is NOT. They've won three straight playoff games in Denver, and let's hope it'll be 4 by late Monday.

ducks
04-28-2007, 11:38 PM
manu has said when he talks that he has a hard time there
he has to get his second wind alot in denver due to the high attitude

Condemned 2 HelLA
04-28-2007, 11:44 PM
East of LA is pretty disgusting. It literally looks like a perpetual shit-cloud over the area east of LA, whose air quality makes LA itself look like fucking Greenland or something.

That would be due to all the meth labs in the 909/951/760!
:lol

efrem1
04-28-2007, 11:59 PM
The altitude works both ways. The team's deeper bench is the key. With Iverson and Anthony pulling 40 plus every night, it has got to affect them. Look for the same Monday.

J.T.
04-29-2007, 02:33 AM

I dunno man but I was pretty baked on Friday.

AnkleBreaker21
04-29-2007, 02:35 AM
shit you could tell both teams were tired azz hell at the end

jaespur21
04-29-2007, 02:40 AM
Im glad we WON

Sec24Row7
04-29-2007, 03:00 AM
They make drugs now that help you acclimate faster to altitude... im Sure opposing teams take them...

It's not the advantage now that it used to be..

Clutch20
04-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Which makes you wonder how Manu almost always plays his best games there, because it's such the opposite of the altitude and climate his hometown has.

Crookshanks
04-29-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm wondering if the altitude played a part in why the Spurs kept the tempo so slow. It allowed them to play their game without getting winded. AI and Carmelo were noticebly winded by the middle of the 4th quarter. I mean, did you ever see Tony run the ball up the floor to set up the offense? He walked it up almost every time!

boutons_
04-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Tony had very little zip, no legs, seemed to be sick or in a fog.

It was amazing he was effective at all. As timvp said, a weird game from Tony.

boutons_
04-29-2007, 10:00 AM
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may96/828141538.Me.r.html

Professional cyclists in Europe train in special tents to match high-altitude conditions. The objective is a thickening of the blood and increase in oxygen carrying capacity due to the lack of oxygen in the air. They also have total blood transfusions to try to increase the oxygen capacity.

Lots of cyclist achieve the same with EPO, and not a few have died from it.

"EPO, a synthetic and stealthy version of a hormone that spurs red-blood-cell production and thus boosts endurance.

"A body of literature shows that EPO conveys a five- to 15-percent advantage," says Charles Yesalis, an epidemiologist at Penn State University and an expert on drugs in sports. Translated into minutes, a five-percent boost would have been the difference between first and 143rd in last year's Tour (de France). But EPO can also be lethal. The drug's most immediate threat is "hyperviscosity," or thickened blood, which can cause a heart attack. Studies about permanent health effects from EPO use are inconclusive, but the sludge-like blood can linger for up to 120 days."

http://outside.away.com/outside/news/200406/cycling_epo_1.html

Sec24Row7
04-29-2007, 12:04 PM
what i was talking about is a prescription drug,,

ShoogarBear
04-29-2007, 12:07 PM
EPO is a prescription drug.