PDA

View Full Version : Say what you will about Mel Kiper...

samikeyp
04-28-2007, 10:44 PM
but I would love to have his job. He gets to do nothing but prepare for the NFL draft 12 months a year. For a stat/draft geek like me...that would be the perfect gig.

Mr. Peabody
04-28-2007, 10:46 PM
but I would love to have his job. He gets to do nothing but prepare for the NFL draft 12 months a year. For a stat/draft geek like me...that would be the perfect gig.

With all of that preparation, you figure he'd be more accurate than he usually is.

samikeyp
04-28-2007, 10:49 PM
With all of that preparation, you figure he'd be more accurate than he usually is.

No kidding and they still keep bringing him back. Even more reason to want the job...accuracy is not a requirement! :lol

T Park
04-29-2007, 12:08 AM
He was nailing the draft pretty good today....

TheSanityAnnex
04-29-2007, 12:16 AM
:lol

shyne
04-29-2007, 12:37 AM
He does a good job at what he does, but unless you actually played the game before there are just some things you cant measure.

John Patrick
04-29-2007, 01:07 AM
like tom bradys thing.

or why the lions love wrs.

or 7th round studs.

TheSanityAnnex
04-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Kiper sure nailed his Quinn prediction. :lol

John Patrick
04-29-2007, 01:09 AM

:lol

glad to see someone else caught that as well.

TheSanityAnnex
04-29-2007, 01:16 AM
The only good a mock draft by one of these so called "experts" serves is the chance for the rest of us to laugh at how far off some of their "expert" picks can be. There is an obvious reason they work for ESPN and not the front office. I think I laughed the loudest listening to the hard-on these guys had for Dwayne Jarrett. Hmmm......was it really a surprise that a slow primadonna slipped so far?

John Patrick
04-29-2007, 03:26 AM
and now the panthers are stuck with two of them!!!!!!!!

Kevin Blackistone
04-29-2007, 04:07 AM
The only good a mock draft by one of these so called "experts" serves is the chance for the rest of us to laugh at how far off some of their "expert" picks can be. There is an obvious reason they work for ESPN and not the front office. I think I laughed the loudest listening to the hard-on these guys had for Dwayne Jarrett. Hmmm......was it really a surprise that a slow primadonna slipped so far?

In fairness, deciding what teams will do is virtually impossible - given the possibilities of trades and varying values placed on certain players. They will never be accurate, but they aren't paid to be. Kiper is paid to get ratings for ESPN for the draft, and he does that very well. I think he does a fairly good job of evaluating talent and if you go back he has called out quite a few sleepers in past drafts that went unnoticed.

Kevin Blackistone
04-29-2007, 04:08 AM

After he passed Miami and Minnesota - nobody else needed a project rookie QB until Cleveland made the deal with Dallas to get to 22. Nobody, I mean NOBODY saw Quinn slipping past Miami with all the QB problems they have.

TheSanityAnnex
04-29-2007, 05:59 AM
In all fairness, the time put in to mock drafts is bullshit.

samikeyp
04-29-2007, 10:00 AM

I agree totally....but it would cool to get paid to just come up with mock drafts all day long! :lol

I seriously think that myself, or Sanity or Mardigan (or most of us for that matter) could do as well or better than the "experts" if we were given the time and resources that they get.

exstatic
04-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Gawd, when he's wrong he just CRIES about it and won't let it go.

TheTruth
04-29-2007, 11:42 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/brsox2445/SteveAtwaterhit.gif

Kevin Blackistone
04-29-2007, 12:30 PM

It's very excessive, but as long as people keep watching it as much as they do it will only get worse. It's the fans who want that shit, and they show that by eating it up every year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Kiper is the sports equivalent of the weather man. All that preparation and he's still wrong half the time.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2007, 12:57 PM
ESPN is pretty selective about exposing some of Kiper's past mistakes with his draft analysis. Yesterday before the draft they re-aired a piece on Ryan Leaf and used Kiper's commentary from that draft day in which he said that the Chargers had essentially raped the Cardinals to get the #2 pick and predicted that in 5 years, people would wonder how Bobby Beathard was able to pay so little to move up. Obviously, a lot of people were flat damned wrong about Leaf, but Kiper's certainty that Leaf would be a dominant pro was striking.

I also laughed yesterday when Keyshawn Johnson lit into Kiper about the need for speed at the receiver position. We'll see about Dwayne Jarrett, but Kiper was assailing Jarrett's relative lack of speed while Keyshawn was pointing out -- and rightfully so, I think -- that Jarrett doesn't need to be a burner to get to the spots on the field where his routes will take him.

T Park
04-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Keyshawn better like him and better get to talkin to him since they are now teammates.

ShoogarBear
04-29-2007, 01:32 PM
He does a good job at what he does, but unless you actually played the game before there are just some things you cant measure.

like tom bradys thing.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Keyshawn better like him and better get to talkin to him since they are now teammates.

Kiper is going to play for the Panthers? Keyshawn definitely had Jarrett's back and was arguing that teams at the bottom of the first round should grab him.

I realize that Keyshawn was given an audition for a post-career opportunity. But I don't think his ability to seize that opportunity depends upon him agreeing with Mel Kiper. I thought Key was absolutely correct in telling Kiper that speed shouldn't necessarily be the dominant factor in evaluating a receiver. I actually thought that the conversation showed the difference between guys like Kiper, who become totally enamored of players based upon measurables, and guys who take a much more practical approach by evaluating whether a guy does things on teh field that will translate to the next level. We'll see about Jarrett, but as a general matter, I agree with Keyshawn that measurables tend to get highly overrated.

Kermit
04-29-2007, 01:49 PM
i guarantee you he gets paid more at espn than he would working in the front office.

TheSanityAnnex
04-29-2007, 04:20 PM
i guarantee you he gets paid more at espn than he would working in the front office.
You think Kiper makes more than a GM? I'm not sure of the salaries for either, but my money would be on a GM making more than a sports analyst.

mardigan
04-29-2007, 04:24 PM
You think Kiper makes more than a GM? I'm not sure of the salaries for either, but my money would be on a GM making more than a sports analyst.
No way he makes more than a GM.
He is damn good at what he does, but then again if most of us had nothing to do except scout players and talk to teams we would probably have good mocks as well. I only got 5 right on mine

TheSanityAnnex
04-29-2007, 04:25 PM
I agree with Keyshawn that measurables tend to get highly overrated.
True, but the Keyshawn homo love fest for Jarrett was getting out of hand. He scoffed at the Chargers when they picked Craig Davis over Jarrett. Jarrett (4.58) is relatively slow compared to Davis (4.37), his homo blinders kept him from seeing the fact that the Chargers needed a deep threat, not another copy of Vincent Jackson/Malcom Floyd. Teams obviously weren't impressed with Jarrett, and his pick status showed.