PDA

View Full Version : Refs erred on Spurs side today

kris
04-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Parker really got away with 2 bad travels.

Also, Spurs got a call on Carmelo for an offensive foul when Duncan didn't take the charge at all.

That's all I can remember, but there was generousity shown.

Nothing like what Dallas got vs. the Warriors, but I'll take it.

By the way, people complain about Manu flopping - which he does, but tough guy Allen Iverson looks like he got shot by a gun any time anybody comes near touching him.

SpursDynasty
04-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Whatever.

Spurs should be up 3-0.

Spurs in 5.

T Park
04-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Didn't see the game so can't say one way or the other.

But

30 FT to 15 indicates something else....

efrem1
04-29-2007, 12:12 AM
30 fts to 14. Nuff said.

kris
04-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Maybe I should have paid more attention to the game.

Mr. Peabody
04-29-2007, 12:14 AM

Also, Spurs got a call on Carmelo for an offensive foul when Duncan didn't take the charge at all.

By the way, people complain about Manu flopping - which he does, but tough guy Allen Iverson looks like he got shot by a gun any time anybody comes near touching him.

I don't know. I saw quite a few calls that the refs missed in favor of the Nuggets.

I think I remember one of Parker's alleged travels that you are referring to. On the replay, it wasn't a travel. Walton said it was just Hakeem-like footwork.

kris
04-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Looks like I dropped the ball on this one.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2007, 12:22 AM
that one call where the reff said the ball went off of manu when it actually went off jr smith's foot was the biggest blown call of the game

E20
04-29-2007, 12:23 AM
George Karl got called for a techinal even Pop and Stern was like WTF!?

AnkleBreaker21
04-29-2007, 12:35 AM
i dont give a damn, they got way more freethrows, and we got the win. thats all that counts

Big P
04-29-2007, 12:47 AM
2 off the top of my head...the one where the ball went off of Smith, not Manu, Denver caught a break on that one & what should have been an offensive foul on AI when he went up, threw his arm into Bowen, & still made the shot.

aaronstampler
04-29-2007, 12:52 AM
Didn't see the game so can't say one way or the other.

But

30 FT to 15 indicates something else....

You didn't watch the game yet can argue with someone who did? That doesn't sound like the reasonable, rational clown jockey I know.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Duncan was clearly moving on the Anthony charge in the 4th.

And the Smith flagrant on Ginobili? Bullshit.

mabber
04-29-2007, 01:04 AM
When did Duncan become such a flopper? I've never seen a 6ft 10 power forward/center take 2 charges in a game. While it was quite funny to see, I didn't agree with Bill Walton calling him out for it.

Big P
04-29-2007, 01:05 AM

And the Smith flagrant on Ginobili? Bullshit.

riiighhtt..he hacked the shit out of Manu & didn't even get the ball..good call on the flagrant.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2007, 01:08 AM
riiighhtt..he hacked the shit out of Manu & didn't even get the ball..good call on the flagrant.

sarchasm

[/sarcasm]

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2007, 01:09 AM
When did Duncan become such a flopper? I've never seen a 6ft 10 power forward/center take 2 charges in a game. While it was quite funny to see, I didn't agree with Bill Walton calling him out for it.

Duncan clearly flopped early trying to take a charge from Nene. But he was on the money stepping out to beat Anthony to the spot and draw the charge in the 4th quarter. Huge, huge, huge play -- and it was called correctly.

It's among the many things that makes Tim Duncan so much better than just a dominant offensive player.

Big P
04-29-2007, 01:10 AM
lol..my bad FWD

Quiet Strength
04-29-2007, 01:10 AM
I remember denver getting away with a goaltend I think in the first half... a denver player grabbed the rim.... I dont think parkers shot had any chance of going in but still... cant grab the rim.

mabber
04-29-2007, 01:11 AM
Duncan clearly flopped early trying to take a charge from Nene. But he was on the money stepping out to beat Anthony to the spot and draw the charge in the 4th quarter. Huge, huge, huge play -- and it was called correctly.

It's among the many things that makes Tim Duncan so much better than just a dominant offensive player.

It's funny how Walton praises him as the best defender ever in one breath and in the next breath calls him out for taking a charge instead of blocking the shot. Walton is a clown!

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2007, 01:12 AM
lol..my bad FWD

Should have been a bit more clear about my effort to stay with Kris' original tone.

It's all good, Big P.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2007, 01:14 AM
It's funny how Walton praises him as the best defender ever in one breath and in the next breath calls him out for taking a charge instead of blocking the shot. Walton is a clown!

I actually watched a game one night when Walton called Corey Maggette one of the 5 best defenders in the history of the NBA. I take nothing that Walton says seriously.

Duncan made the right play in taking the charge on Anthony and not challenging the shot. Had he challenged the shot, Carmelo ends up on the line. By taking the charge, Duncan helped his team win. Recognizing and effectuating that distinction is precisely what makes Duncan so great.

Phenomanul
04-29-2007, 01:18 AM
The Nuggets didn't help themselves by missing so many free throws....

Tek_XX
04-29-2007, 01:43 AM
For an NBA game it was a well called. We can only hope for more consistant games in the playoffs.

MB3//
04-29-2007, 01:49 AM
That charge on duncan was a horrible call. I'll take it though.

capek
04-29-2007, 02:14 AM
That charge on duncan was a horrible call. I'll take it though.
If they're only going to give Timmy 2 fta's on 21 shot attempts, the least they can do is give him the occasional freak call, like that charge.

jaespur21
04-29-2007, 02:23 AM
that one call where the reff said the ball went off of manu when it actually went off jr smith's foot was the biggest blown call of the game

This man is right :smokin :elephant

Dave McNulla
04-29-2007, 02:26 AM
or just not comment about officiating, one way or the other.

kris
04-29-2007, 02:52 AM
or just not comment about officiating, one way or the other.

I'll bet $4 you're surly in person.

Sec24Row7
04-29-2007, 03:02 AM
The ball going off of smith and yet saying it went off of manu was a nice way of not giving manu a foul... because basically... he raped smith...

Slydragon
04-29-2007, 03:36 AM

Now you give Denver fans more ammo, I can hear it now "Even a Spurs fan said the calls were in Spurs favor"

Obstructed_View
04-29-2007, 05:11 AM
The ball going off of smith and yet saying it went off of manu was a nice way of not giving manu a foul... because basically... he raped smith...
If by "raped" you mean "drew a charge on", I'll agree with you.

Dre_7
04-29-2007, 05:16 AM

Raped? It looked like he beat Smith to the spot. I dont think a foul should have been called, but if they were gonna call one, it should have been offensive. But they made the right decision by calling it out of bounds, just had the wrong guy.

TxJudsonRocketTx
04-29-2007, 05:31 AM
How bout every fucking time AI stiff-armed Bowen or Parker to get space

Obstructed_View
04-29-2007, 05:40 AM
How bout every fucking time AI stiff-armed Bowen or Parker to get spaceYeah, I saw that too. The officiating didn't look particularly one-sided to me. The Nuggets got more free throws because they were at home. That's usually going to happen.

Solid D
04-29-2007, 07:48 AM

Tim doesn't do it very often...not like Andrew Bogut (reference to the quote above). I believe Bogut is ranked third in the league at taking charges. Timmy did sell it but he made sure he got is feet outside the interior line first.

It wasn't the best officiated game but there were a few lame calls. The officials let them play, for the most part.

Shelly
04-29-2007, 07:59 AM

Shhhhhhh! He scored on those travels. Although, I did agree with you on one of them :lol

diego
04-29-2007, 08:30 AM
for the most part they let them play. there was a lot of contact in the paint for both teams that the refs let slide. if every game for the rest of the playoffs are called like this one i'll be ok with it.

Clutch20
04-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Laughing here, I think the refs prefer Timmy setting himself up for taking an occasional charge rather than having him running over them trying to snag loose balls :lol

GrandeDavid
04-29-2007, 10:05 AM

I also saw two highly questionable hand check calls go against Bowen. Denver went to the line 30 times to the Spurs' 14.

The Spurs got no breaks overall.

I think you are just trying to be kind and generous after a key win. But the officials did not help the Spurs by any means. The Spurs earned this one.

SPURS21
04-29-2007, 10:14 AM
between the 3rd and 4th after the spurs made there run there was easily 4-5 no calls on blatant cheapshot punches and shoves etc on Manu/Tony mostly by Mellow or JR Smith. The ref calls even two of these and that pretty much washed out any call that went in our favour.

spursfaninla
04-29-2007, 10:18 AM
There was one inbounding play where Carmello (or maybe AI) are setting a pick on Parker, who is running towards mid-court to get the ball, and they just shove him, half-knocking him over, and I'm thinking, does that qualify as a moving pick? Can you just shove guys (unless you are named Miller) on inbounds plays? WTF?

Duncan got robbed this game as far as FT went, but the contact they allowed in general was good. AI got a bunch of ft's, but so did Manu. They were rewarding cuts to the basket.

TheTruth
04-29-2007, 10:20 AM
c'mon guys, stop taking Kris so seriously in these threads.

kris
04-29-2007, 10:22 AM
I'd like to retract my post. Can I do that?

TheTruth
04-29-2007, 10:24 AM
I'd like to retract my post. Can I do that?
I don't see any reason why not. But the natives are still going to be restless.

Dunc n Dave
04-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Not to mention how many times Iverson got away with pushing off to create space for his jumpers, AND how he never got whistled for a technical despite several times cussing at the refs when Ginobili would draw a foul. The guy was swinging his fists in the air and going OFF on the officials yelline "THAT'S F*CKIN BULLSHIT!" I saw it happen at least 3 times in Game 3 and twice in Game 2. And tell how that that is not "showing up the refs?"

td4mvp21
04-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Speaking of Nuggets fans...where the fuck are they? I have not seen ONE post :lol.

BruceBowenFan
04-29-2007, 10:56 AM
but tough guy Allen Iverson looks like he got shot by a gun any time anybody comes near touching him.
i dont remember what quarter it was but duncan set a pick for parker, then allen iverson ran into duncan and looked like he got shot

Borosai
04-29-2007, 11:02 AM
There was one inbounding play where Carmello (or maybe AI) are setting a pick on Parker, who is running towards mid-court to get the ball, and they just shove him, half-knocking him over, and I'm thinking, does that qualify as a moving pick? Can you just shove guys (unless you are named Miller) on inbounds plays? WTF?

I saw the replay of that exact play, and I couldn't believe the ref, who was standing right there, didn't call a foul on Caramelo. Just a perfect example of what goes on during these games and doesn't get called.

judaspriestess
04-29-2007, 01:00 PM

On one of Tony's alleged travels, he spun around NEVER moving his pivot foot, so therefore it is not a travel. It looks tricky and I can see where someone may have their eyes trick them to believing he traveled.

K-State Spur
04-29-2007, 01:15 PM
On one of Tony's alleged travels, he spun around NEVER moving his pivot foot, so therefore it is not a travel. It looks tricky and I can see where someone may have their eyes trick them to believing he traveled.

Tony's tough to officiate like that. A lot of times, when he is just holding the ball, he'll shuffle his feet and travel without purpose and get away with it (probably because he is not gaining an advantage). Then, a lot of times when he gets called for traveling, he actually had done a good job of holding his pivot foot. He actually drives the lane very under control compared to other players.

bonesinaz
04-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Not to mention how many times Iverson got away with pushing off to create space for his jumpers, AND how he never got whistled for a technical despite several times cussing at the refs when Ginobili would draw a foul. The guy was swinging his fists in the air and going OFF on the officials yelline "THAT'S F*CKIN BULLSHIT!" I saw it happen at least 3 times in Game 3 and twice in Game 2. And tell how that that is not "showing up the refs?"

Yes, but he wasn't laughing and clapping.

Extra Stout
04-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Looks like I dropped the ball on this one.
You are officially a Nuggets homer. Please change your "favorite team" field. Thank you.

Extra Stout
04-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Speaking of Nuggets fans...where the fuck are they? I have not seen ONE post :lol.
Thread starter.

ambchang
04-29-2007, 02:18 PM
http://82games.com/charges0607.htm
If taking charges = flopping, the Mavs > Spurs in flopping.
And you have obviously not seen many games when you have "never seen a 6ft 10 power forward/center take 2 charges in a game." given that Varejao averages more than 1 a game, and Bogut, O'Neal and Wallace all average more than 0.5 a game.

Leetonidas
04-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't think the were in the Spurs favor at all. So many damn 3 second violations, and not to mention the ball of JR's foot and Carmello bashing Manu in the back of the head and hitting Finley in the face.

ALVAREZ6
04-29-2007, 02:53 PM
I hope you're not talking about the one non-call that the whole arena bitched after when Tony stopped in the middle of the paint, pivoted and put it in.

That was NOT a travel.

2centsworth
04-29-2007, 02:57 PM

And the Smith flagrant on Ginobili? Bullshit.Duncan was there but he pussed out for some reason. The flagarant was legit and wasn't even close.

ooops, sorry for not reading the replies. my bad.

td4mvp21
04-29-2007, 03:00 PM

:lmao I almost missed this. Duncan rarely ever takes charges, so why don't you watch a couple of Spurs games rather than just the 4 against the Mavericks and 1 against the Nuggets before saying that?

Strike
04-29-2007, 03:07 PM
I actually watched a game one night when Walton called Corey Maggette one of the 5 best defenders in the history of the NBA. I take nothing that Walton says seriously.

Duncan made the right play in taking the charge on Anthony and not challenging the shot. Had he challenged the shot, Carmelo ends up on the line. By taking the charge, Duncan helped his team win. Recognizing and effectuating that distinction is precisely what makes Duncan so great.

Bill Walton is one of, if not THE biggest idiot commentator in all of professional sports today. I take every freaking thing he says with a grain of salt. Dude has smoked so much ganj in his lifetime that he's about as knowledgeable as Harry Caray was, but at least Harry was entertaining!

If Walton got his tongue ripped out by a rabid wolverine today, I would not shed a single god damn tear. In fact I would nominate the wolverine for the medal of honor. He would be doing the nation, wait, THE WORLD a favor.

:ihit

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2007, 03:31 PM
One side note with respect to the officiating in this series -- has anyone else noticed that the Spurs aren't whining and moaning and making faces after every call in this series? About the most animated I've seen any Spur get with respect to a call in the moment is Manu's hands to the mouth after he tried to take that charge from Smith last night. Perhaps I've forgotten something, but compared to the regular season Spurs, these guys are just playing the game and not worrying at all about the officiating. It's a breath of fresh air.

SpursFanMatt
04-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah, and that is a real plus. The officiating this series has actually been quite good. I wouldn't get to excited though. I'm sure we'll see Jack Nies or Showtime Bavetta later this playoff run. The facial expressions and body language we'll be off the charts then.

mabber
04-29-2007, 03:38 PM
One side note with respect to the officiating in this series -- has anyone else noticed that the Spurs aren't whining and moaning and making faces after every call in this series? About the most animated I've seen any Spur get with respect to a call in the moment is Manu's hands to the mouth after he tried to take that charge from Smith last night. Perhaps I've forgotten something, but compared to the regular season Spurs, these guys are just playing the game and not worrying at all about the officiating. It's a breath of fresh air.

I noticed it last night.

greenroom
04-29-2007, 06:30 PM

:pctoss
Pissed off the way Denver played. The Spurs are a great team, but Denver had a great chance last night and they blew it.

One thing I noticed is that if Denver's crowd could be half as loud as the Warriors home crowd it would be a start. :pctoss :grim:

exstatic
04-29-2007, 06:46 PM
:pctoss
Pissed off the way Denver played. The Spurs are a great team, but Denver had a great chance last night and they blew it.

One thing I noticed is that if Denver's crowd could be half as loud as the Warriors home crowd it would be a start. :pctoss :grim:
I think every team is jealous of the GS fan frenzy at this point. Stands to reason, though. They haven't been in the playoffs since 1994, the longest drought in the NBA until they ended it.

Ginofan
04-29-2007, 06:48 PM
You are officially a Nuggets homer. Please change your "favorite team" field. Thank you.

:lol wasn't Kris wearing a 99 championship hat last night??

kris
05-01-2007, 01:19 AM
I'm a Nuggets fan first and a Warriors fan second. The Spurs apparrel is just a smoke screen. I jumped off that band wagon months ago when the getting was good.

rAm
05-01-2007, 01:53 AM
what about nene taking a charge on parker? lawl?