PDA

View Full Version : ZERO TOLERANCE - Gilbert Arenas should've kept his mouth shut

jmard5
04-29-2007, 08:13 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba_experts/post/Zero-tolerance;_ylt=A9G_e8EkmDRG2wkBuge8vLYF?urn=nba,30 607

By Adrian Wojnarowski

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 1:44 am EDT

Out of the all times for Gilbert Arenas to come out of his self-induced silence, for all the reasons to do so, his choices on Saturday did little to dispel a growing suspicion that Agent Zero is all about Agent Zero.

So, the Wizards are getting destroyed in their Eastern Conference first-round series, on the way to a humiliating sweep by Cleveland, and Arenas calls a press conference before Game 3 in Washington to congratulate himself on getting his picture on the cover of a video game?

That's a franchise player?

"Everyone knows that this is the takeover year and I took over a lot of stuff," Arenas said. "I surprised myself. I want to finish the season by saying Agent Zero is on the cover of NBA Live 2008."

Wonderful, Gilbert. This had to be thrilling news to his coaches and teammates getting embarrassed by LeBron James and the Cavaliers with Arenas and Caron Butler out for the season. I can only imagine how hard it was for coach Eddie Jordan to bite his lip and keep his thoughts to himself upon hearing that Arenas ended his silence for this purpose.

This was the wrong time, the wrong place, for Arenas to be celebrating his favorite topic -- himself. All that Saturday should've been about was encouraging his teammates to make an improbable bid to get back into the series with Cleveland. After all, that's what franchise players say in the playoffs.

Here's what they don't say: "I have to pat myself on the back for that one. I have the copies of the game and I have been giving them to all my teammates. I let them know that next year, October 2, they have no choice but to look at me. Your kids, brothers, sisters, they have no choice but to look at me. I'm not only in the game, I'm on the cover of it."

Arenas has been nowhere to be found since tearing a meniscus in his left knee on April 4. He hasn't traveled with the Wizards. He hasn't talked to the press. When his teammates could've used him telling the fans -- telling them, for that matter -- that he still believed in this team, to not give up on it, here was the first line of his blog after his injury: "Unfortunately, I've been catching glimpses of my team."

Just maybe, maybe, he could've understood that the Wizards could've used him around the gym here and there, just giving his guys a little nudge. He had been feeling sorry for himself, he said, and that's why he stayed away.

Arenas is a magnetic, charismatic personality. He has all the ability to make this Wizards franchise his own. Of course, the coaches and players know who the real leaders are on a team, and they'll tell you that it isn't Arenas in Washington.

Anyway, with his Wizards fighting for survival in the Eastern Conference playoffs, Arenas left everyone with this on his NBA.com blog about the video game cover.

"Do you realize how big this is?

"They can't tell me nothin'. Mannn. Ohhh. Lorddd.

"It makes my whole rehabbing that much better now. Because while rehabbing, all I'm thinking about is 'I'm on the cover of LIVE.' "

I'm sure Eddie Jordan is thrilled to hear that is Arenas' motivation for returning to Washington next season.

Listen, Arenas is a good guy with a good heart, but he's done enough to sell himself, to remind everyone that he's the second-round pick who transformed into a major star. For now, it should be about the Wizards trying to get one game on the Cavaliers, about a franchise fighting to hold onto a little pride. Agent Zero should've known better.

---------------

:reading :dizzy

Vinnie_Johnson
04-29-2007, 09:50 AM
What a selfish Jackass.

romsey31
04-29-2007, 09:53 AM
What a selfish Jackass.

LOL big news indeed. Maybe he could sweep the Cavs in Live. NBA Live sucks anyway 2K rules!

SRJ
04-29-2007, 09:58 AM
I like Gilbert Arenas, but this is indefensible. Not the worst thing I've ever heard, but completely indefensible. Pretend you care about your team.

td4mvp21
04-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Cool...an overrated player can be on the cover of an overrated game!

Cry Havoc
04-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Amen. 2K Sports forever. Live = horrible. Arenas = overrated.

At least Gilbert is DECENT on the court, though. I don't know why he'd want to step down into a franchise like Live. Bleh.

Pistons < Spurs
04-29-2007, 10:52 AM
I can't stand this selfish, arrogant little bastard. Someone just needs to beat the crap out of him. Maybe that would pull his head out of his ass. If he was on my team, I'd be petitioning to trade his sorry ass.

jman3000
04-29-2007, 11:50 AM
wow... i honestly thought that article was a fake... the amount in which he loves himself is a bit unnerving.

schadenfreude52
04-29-2007, 12:00 PM
What a douche.

kingsfan
04-29-2007, 12:33 PM
How is he overrated? He's 1 of the top scorers in the NBA and an All-Star.
You people are such haters. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/madrun.gif

Pistons < Spurs
04-29-2007, 12:36 PM
How is he overrated? He's 1 of the top scorers in the NBA and an All-Star.
You people are such haters. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/madrun.gif
Great player ... but the worst example of a 'teamate'.

Fillmoe
04-29-2007, 01:04 PM
fagbert gayrenas

exstatic
04-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Hibachi!!!

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-29-2007, 01:19 PM
I like Gil... and I think the writer is making a big deal over nothing

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-29-2007, 01:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba_experts/post/Zero-tolerance;_ylt=A9G_e8EkmDRG2wkBuge8vLYF?urn=nba,30 607

So, the Wizards are getting destroyed in their Eastern Conference first-round series, on the way to a humiliating sweep by Cleveland, and Arenas calls a press conference before Game 3 in Washington to congratulate himself on getting his picture on the cover of a video game?

How is it humiliating? they aren't getting blown out every game

ShoogarBear
04-29-2007, 01:22 PM
What a selfish Jackass.Zero Surprise.

He lives the same way he plays.

resistanze
04-29-2007, 01:23 PM
I thought fucking up his leg would give him a little humility :lol

ShoogarBear
04-29-2007, 01:23 PM
I like Gil... and I think the writer is making a big deal over nothing
Arenas has been nowhere to be found since tearing a meniscus in his left knee on April 4. He hasn't traveled with the Wizards. He hasn't talked to the press. When his teammates could've used him telling the fans -- telling them, for that matter -- that he still believed in this team, to not give up on it, here was the first line of his blog after his injury: "Unfortunately, I've been catching glimpses of my team."

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-29-2007, 01:28 PM
First off.. he just had a baby, so cut him some slack for not traveling with the team.

Second he talks more good than bad about his team

Unfortunately, I’ve been catching glimpses of my team.

I try to watch the good parts … so I won’t watch the last four or five minutes. I’ll watch the good part of the game.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-29-2007, 01:30 PM
I Still Can Talk At Least
I’m going to do a lot of talking. I already called the players … Damon Jones … Larry … LeBron didn’t want to pick up the phone because he already knew what was going to happen. The message is, “Punks jump up to get beat down.” Same thing I was saying last year, I’m saying it this year. This ain’t going to be no easy win so you can go ahead and get that out your head. You better come up with a real game plan because we are comin’.

That’s why I’m going on the road trip, I’m going to sit right behind their bench and just talk all day. I’m going to just talk about the whole team from start to finish and try to do my part by irritating them.

missmyzte
04-29-2007, 04:13 PM
I love Arenas, I really do. Notice the article said nothing about the 2000 personalized jerseys he just sold for $25 apiece for his charity. He just had a baby, he's at home where he can barely walk and just plays video games all day. He's one of the few players that you can tell really appreciates where he's at and is enjoying the honor to be one of the best. He's excited, I think that's a good thing. He can be excited about being on the cover and still support his teammates at games.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2007, 04:43 PM
he's at home where he can barely walkOr press conferences.

missmyzte
04-29-2007, 04:50 PM
So he got out of the house once ... big deal.

ShoogarBear
04-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Arenas may be Mother Teresa when it comes to non-basketball issues. He's made it clear, though, that once he steps on the court, his first priority is getting his stats. Winning is a nice second.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Actually I was reading that he infact was going on road trips with the team

kingsfan
04-29-2007, 10:19 PM
He was at least 2 of the games, they showed him there, despite being told not to travel, so he could support his teammates.This writer is talking out his ass. He's also giving away some of the games on his site and all the money raised from his auctions is going to children. Yes what an awful guy http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif
He's trying to give the fans something positive to concentrate on. I'm happy for him.

sabar
04-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. No one here is in a position to judge, the guy has given more to charity than you could ever do in your lifetime. But of course trashing Arenas makes us all feel better about ourselves.

cornbread
04-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. No one here is in a position to judge, the guy has given more to charity than you could ever do in your lifetime. But of course trashing Arenas makes us all feel better about ourselves.
:clap

Dro210
05-01-2007, 08:22 AM
I love Arenas, I really do. Notice the article said nothing about the 2000 personalized jerseys he just sold for $25 apiece for his charity. He just had a baby, he's at home where he can barely walk and just plays video games all day. He's one of the few players that you can tell really appreciates where he's at and is enjoying the honor to be one of the best. He's excited, I think that's a good thing. He can be excited about being on the cover and still support his teammates at games.

:clap

Amen to that... Gil's the man, you gotta be a lame mf to hate on him