PDA

View Full Version : It's simple: If you hear 'lottery,' then going pro is the ticket

alamo50
04-29-2007, 08:07 PM
April 27, 2007
By Gary Parrish
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Have we learned our lesson once and for all?

I'm talking to you, fans.

I'm talking to you, writers.

I'm trying to make sure we don't repeat the foolishness from this past college basketball season once next season begins. And by foolishness, I mean the constant speculation and debate about whether Johnny Jumpshot at State U will spend another year as a student-athlete despite every mock draft projecting him as a lottery pick.
It's silly and naive, dumb and pointless.

So the first person who suggests O.J. Mayo might spend two years at Southern California because he "really loves his teammates" should be beaten by Chuck Liddell. And the first person who suggests Derrick Rose might spend two years at Memphis because he "really enjoys the college life" should be tortured by Sayid. And the first person who suggests Michael Beasley might spend two years at Kansas State because he "really wants to make sure he's NBA-ready before jumping" should be jailed with Joe Francis.

It's not happening.

Barring injury or a mental breakdown the likes of which only Derrick Caracter could appreciate, Mayo, Rose, Beasley and 35 others are applying for early entry into the 2008 NBA Draft. If nothing else, that's the lesson we should take from the past three weeks as guys who spent February hinting they might return to college and guys who spent March promising they will return to college have spent April announcing they are probably done with college.

In fact, of all the underclassmen projected as probable first-round picks, only UCLA's Darren Collison, Connecticut's Hasheem Thabeet and North Carolina teammates Tyler Hansbrough and Tywon Lawson have announced they will turn away guaranteed money to return to school, and it's worth noting none of those guys were likely lottery selections.

If they were, they'd be gone, too. Because lottery selections do not return to college unless they are rare breeds.

Tim Duncan was one.

Joakim Noah was another.

Josh McRoberts was another.

Perhaps Shane Battier and Chris Marcus were two more.

For the past 10 NBA Drafts, that's about it. So history indicates maybe one likely lottery pick every two years actually returns to college, but that's all. And that Noah, Marcus and McRoberts each saw their stock slip by returning to school probably doesn't give much incentive for this trend to change.

"When someone comes to college they are coming to further their education to give themselves a chance to have a great career in their chosen field," said Marquette coach Tom Crean. "For some student-athletes, the chosen field is professional sports."

Thank you, Coach Crean.

The man might lose Dominic James to the NBA, but at least he understands why. It's not because James is necessarily ready for the next level or that his shooting percentage of .384 has scouts salivating. Rather, it's because some general manager might view the explosive point guard as a first-round pick, and if that's the case then "let's go pack," Crean said. "It's time to go."

And that, my friends, is mostly how it works these days.

It's wrong to pretend otherwise.

Which is why it was silly when people asked Ohio State's Mike Conley Jr. during the season whether he would return for his sophomore year, and even sillier when they believed him when he said he would. And that's why it was silly for anybody to care that Sean Singletary swore in February that he was "absolutely" returning for his senior year, and even sillier how the following quote appeared in the Washington Post.

"I really don't put too much consideration into [turning pro] at all," Singletary told the newspaper. "I came here to graduate and become a man through college and through experience. I haven't done that yet, and I realize it's going to take me another year to fully grow. ... I came to school knowing that I wanted to graduate. I have not graduated yet, and it's going to take me another year to graduate. So I'm here."

Sounds nice, huh? Problem is, the following headline appeared on this very website three days ago: Virginia's Singletary declares for NBA Draft.

And to think some spent the season arguing whether Greg Oden and Kevin Durant might return to college. Please. There was a better chance of Pete Rose returning to manage the Reds than of Oden and Durant returning to play for Ohio State and Texas.

"I just don't know if you even approach the subject while the season is going on," said Purdue coach Matt Painter, a wise, realistic man. "Your focus has to be on your season, and you just do your best after the season to see where you stand with your draft status. But as a coach, you have to understand there's a possibility these guys won't stay."

More like a probability. So to you fans, don't ask the question for your message boards.

And to you writers, don't ask the question for your newspapers.

We already know the answers and it's not worth debating or discussing.

That player projected to be a lottery pick next season, yes, he's turning pro.

Sorry I had to break it to you so early. But it was decided long ago, and there was never really any doubt.

Link (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10153206/2)

mookie2001
05-04-2007, 06:10 PM
josh mcroberts and daniel gibson had the right idea, go pro before you get cut by the time youre a senior