ducks
04-29-2007, 10:33 PM
this is his best game this postseason

ChumpDumper
04-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Didn't you say that about Troy Murphy?

Kevin Blackistone
04-30-2007, 01:22 AM
I remember hearing the same about Bonzi Wells approx. 52 weeks ago. Haven't heard it once since December.

nkdlunch
04-30-2007, 01:24 AM
he is great. I wish we could get Pietrus and Turiaf

SenorSpur
04-30-2007, 01:26 AM
I was thinking the same thing tonight.

If GS makes him available, the Spurs have seriously got to consider him

mVp
04-30-2007, 02:59 AM
absolutely

ps:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PbkNegC7SRE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CX9zAoGKAto
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RvoDxO0L4O0

timvp
04-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Pietrus just made $20M in this game.

El_Mago
04-30-2007, 03:17 AM
Pietrus pretty much assured himself money and the fact that the Warriors are going to pretty much sign him now.

If the Warriors do advance, I do not see them messing around too much with the roster....in fact, I would be surprised if I see them let Pietrus walk.

colargol
04-30-2007, 03:18 AM

The Spurs aren't the French national Team yet....Diaw and Noah are missing!

A.H 21-50
04-30-2007, 04:50 AM
Pietrus could be a good addition for the spurs

Streakyshooter08
04-30-2007, 05:06 AM
How is the cap situation of the Warriors? Do they have more than the MLE to sign him? I would like to see him in silver and black also...

Hoy
04-30-2007, 05:17 AM
I am a contra about Pietrus. He have low BB IQ and until this game, Warriors fans' consensus was that he was not worth keeping.

Axl Van Dam
04-30-2007, 05:27 AM

Pietrus - 100% yes :hungry:
Turiaf - not really. Kinda overrated. :rolleyes I'd prefer Luke Walton. :hungry:

ForeignFan
04-30-2007, 05:35 AM
compared to Bruce Bowen, he is much more athletic - but not as good a defender (yet) and a 3-point shooter. Probably lower BB IQ as well (though Pop would do the thinking for him)

Bruno
04-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Pietrus is a very inconsistent player : he was Elson-like in the first 3 games of the serie.

And welcome, A.H 21-50. ;)

mathbzh
04-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Pietrus is a very inconsistent player : he was Elson-like in the first 3 games of the serie.

And welcome, A.H 21-50. ;)

I disagree Bruno. Before the big trade he played more minutes and was probably the more consistant warriors.
I think the issue is that his style fit the offensive fast game of the Warriors, but that he would struggle with the Spurs. Actually I think he wouldn't give us anything but corner 3s. On defense... he could become Bowen's heir.

samikeyp
04-30-2007, 06:38 AM
I would take it.

Bruno
04-30-2007, 07:14 AM
I think the issue is that his style fit the offensive fast game of the Warriors, but that he would struggle with the Spurs. Actually I think he wouldn't give us anything but corner 3s. On defense... he could become Bowen's heir.

Disagree.
Pietrus offense is a great fit with SA.
Pietrus struggles to create his shot but Spurs have Duncan/Parker/Ginobili to do that.
He will do the same think than with Warriors (corner 3s + drives) except that the court is open with Warriors because they play in transition and that the court will be open with Spurs because defense will double Duncan in the post or Parker on a penetration.

Pietrus can be use like Bowen with Spurs except that Pietrus can drive and score on fast breaks. Pietrus should be able to score 10ppg in 30mpg with Spurs.

stéphane
04-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Disagree.
Pietrus struggles to create his shot but Spurs have Duncan/Parker/Ginobili to do that.
He will do the same think than with Warriors (corner 3s + drives) except that the court is open with Warriors because they play in transition and that the court will be open with Spurs because defense will double Duncan in the post or Parker on a penetration.

Pietrus can be use like Bowen with Spurs except that Pietrus can drive and score on fast breaks. Pietrus should be able to score 10ppg in 30mpg with Spurs.

:tu would you mind me adding that his athleticism could be used for rebounding aswell...?

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 09:37 AM
above average defender (without the help of team defense)
above average atheleticism
above average rebounder for SG
only 25 years old
could be had for 3 million a year..

mathbzh
04-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Disagree.

Maybe my previous post sounds too negative. Overall I agree with your analysis, but I still believe he would have a hard time to adjust to the spurs game. But I agree that in 30mpg he could score 10 ppg.

A.H 21-50
04-30-2007, 09:59 AM
i think that a place like san antonio is the perfect fit for a guy like pietrus (for his progression)

but i'm agree too: pietrus don't have a good bb iQ ,he can improve it ....

AFBlue
04-30-2007, 11:29 AM
How is the cap situation of the Warriors? Do they have more than the MLE to sign him? I would like to see him in silver and black also...

As he is currently a member of the Warriors, they could theoretically sign him to a max-deal and not have to worry about the salary cap. Of course, that would vault them millions past the luxury tax threshold and they would be vastly overpaying for his services.

It's also important to note that Pietrus is a restricted free agent, so if he signed an offer sheet from any team, the Warriors would have the opportunity to match.

E20
04-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Pietrus is inconsistent. He was okay before the arrival of Sjax and Harrington, his minutes since then were cutback along with his confidence and consistency. He might go perfect from the field or go 0-10. It's never a sure thing.

AFBlue
04-30-2007, 11:37 AM
above average defender (without the help of team defense)
above average atheleticism
above average rebounder for SG
only 25 years old
could be had for 3 million a year..

Sorry, but Pietrus won't be had for $3M per year.

With the way he's playing in these playoffs, he'll be a hot commodity in the off-season and should likely garner close to MLE or more.

And as I stated in a previous post, he's a restricted FA. Restricted FAs usually get deals over what they're worth to discourage the main team from matching the offer.

Finally, Pietrus has the option to sign a one-year deal for the amount you mentioned and then enter unrestricted FA in the 08 season....this is honestly the only scenario I see that the Spurs could get him.

Dingle Barry
04-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Well then hopefully he starts to suck after beating the Mavs.

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Sorry, but Pietrus won't be had for $3M per year.

With the way he's playing in these playoffs, he'll be a hot commodity in the off-season and should likely garner close to MLE or more.

And as I stated in a previous post, he's a restricted FA. Restricted FAs usually get deals over what they're worth to discourage the main team from matching the offer.

Finally, Pietrus has the option to sign a one-year deal for the amount you mentioned and then enter unrestricted FA in the 08 season....this is honestly the only scenario I see that the Spurs could get him.

game 1: 2 pts, 3 rbs, 16 minutes.
game 2: 4 pts, 1 rb, 17 minutes.
game 3: 1 pt, 5 rb, 3 to, 20 minutes.
game 4: 16 pts, 5 rbs, 27 minutes.
These #'s in no way make him a hot commodity. Yes, I do like pietrus and yes I would for him to be a spur, but in no way is he playing himself to a bigger contract than his current 2.5 million contract he has right now. Best case scenario is warriors eliminate mavericks and pietrus continues to struggle with his shot.

boutons_
04-30-2007, 12:40 PM
What about Turiaf? Phil is giving him much run in the playoffs

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ronny_turiaf/game_by_game_stats.html

mardigan
04-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Man, are we watching the same games? He played alright yesterday, but the guy is an absolute foul machine, cant shoot, is undersized even for his position, and doesnt seem to have much recognition of what is going on the floor. I saw him step out of bounds twice in the same game trying to drive the ball. I think all this Pietrus love is getting blown out of proportion. I would much rather go after Barnes

Mr. Body
04-30-2007, 12:42 PM
These #'s in no way make him a hot commodity. Yes, I do like pietrus and yes I would for him to be a spur, but in no way is he playing himself to a bigger contract than his current 2.5 million contract he has right now. Best case scenario is warriors eliminate mavericks and pietrus continues to struggle with his shot.

Hear, hear. One breakout game in a series where he's been a non-factor.

In many ways he replicates Bowen's skills: corner 3-pt. shooter, few handles, defense-minded. He's worth a look, but he'll not be high on anybody's list in comparison to what SFs are on the market.

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 12:59 PM
This would be a nice back up for manu next year at SG while finley can back up bowen SF. We still would have room to bring in a young SF or SG this draft.

SenorSpur
04-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Hear, hear. One breakout game in a series where he's been a non-factor.

In many ways he replicates Bowen's skills: corner 3-pt. shooter, few handles, defense-minded. He's worth a look, but he'll not be high on anybody's list in comparison to what SFs are on the market.

Ya never know. There are some GMs out there with itchy trigger fingers and full checkbooks. I agree with your assessment of his skills and like him as a potential fit for the Spurs. I wouldn't break the bank to get him, though.

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
If it came down to nocioni or peitrus (which lately are the names being mentioned on this site) I would prefer pietrus only because he would cost the spurs 3+ million less and he is 3 years younger.

hater
04-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Nocioni has become untouchable for Spurs. He will get $$, he is the 2nd best player in the Bulls at times, and he is clutchness

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Why are we pretending we can get this guy again?

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Why are we pretending we can get this guy again?
WHO?

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Anyone mentioned in this thread, pretty much.

Big P
04-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Uhhh..yes he is playing himself into more money. Someone is going to offer the MLE or close to it or the Warriors are going to sign him to an extension. The Spurs were interested in drafting him, but were unable to. I can see the Spurs giving him a hard look this summer. Wishful thinking, but here's who I think the Spurs should go after.

S&T for Nocioni, involving Barry, Scola & picks.

$4 of the $6 mil out of the MLE for Pietrus & the other $2 mil for a project SF like Korolev from the Clipps.

Trade for Khrypa & Duhon from the Bulls for Barry, Butler, Beno, picks or some combo of them.

Mr. Body
04-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Pietrus is within range, without a doubt.

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Uhhh..yes he is playing himself into more money. Someone is going to offer the MLE or close to it or the Warriors are going to sign him to an extension. The Spurs were interested in drafting him, but were unable to. I can see the Spurs giving him a hard look this summer. Wishful thinking, but here's who I think the Spurs should go after.

S&T for Nocioni, involving Barry, Scola & picks.

$4 of the $6 mil out of the MLE for Pietrus & the other $2 mil for a project SF like Korolev from the Clipps.

Trade for Khrypa & Duhon from the Bulls for Barry, Butler, Beno, picks or some combo of them.

Is that all??

Big P
04-30-2007, 01:31 PM
If it came down to nocioni or peitrus (which lately are the names being mentioned on this site) I would prefer pietrus only because he would cost the spurs 3+ million less and he is 3 years younger.

Thats just crazy. If we could get Noc, we should do whatever it takes to get him.

"Nocioni has become untouchable for Spurs. He will get $$, he is the 2nd best player in the Bulls at times, and he is clutchness"

Not true. While it might seem impossible now because of the way he is playing, Chicago is going to have to make some decisions about their cap & future cap. The main things they need to do is sign Deng & Gordon to extensions. Both of these will be very costly, Gordon will command upwards of $50 mil or more, while Deng is on track for a max extension or at least $70 mil. Add in the fact that in the near future they are going to need to sigh Thomas & Sefolosha, & signing Noc to a big extension this summer could be very costly to them. Noc plays the same positon as Deng & Thomas plays a lot of SF as well. I see the Bulls matching any MLE deal for Noc, but if someone comes in with say $7-8 mil for him, thye might be willing to trade him for expirings like Barry & Beno, possibly Butler plus Scola. This way they preserve future cap space, get a decent cheap young prospect at center & get the low post scorer they need in Scola. I'm not saying that it will definitly happen, but the Bulls locking up Noc long term is not a given. The Chicago Tribune evne ran an article last week saying that it was %50/50 the Bulls would S&T nocioni next year, not because they want to, but because they might have to.

hater
04-30-2007, 01:33 PM
IMO Bulls should let go of Gordon, before Nocioni.

Gordon is a ballhog and chucker like Arenas,AI,etc

Big P
04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Is that all??

What else do you want? These are realisitc options going into next year. Our biggest need is at SF, signing Nocioni or Pietrus would fulfill that. What do you want me to say, the Spurs should go S&T for Garnett?

Big P
04-30-2007, 01:38 PM

I dont know about that. With Deng, they are going to have the SF spot covered. Ben shoots almost %46 fg, %41 from 3 & %85 FT, they would really miss his scoring & playmaking ability if they chose Noc over Gordon. It is possible they keep Noc over Gordon, but unlikely if they had to make a choice, which they will this summer.

bdictjames
04-30-2007, 02:04 PM
I think he has a good attitude too, him and Ellis are about the only good examples from that Warriors team. :dizzy

AFBlue
04-30-2007, 02:14 PM

Pietrus was giving very productive and consistent minutes as a regular part of the rotation before the trade that brought Jackson and Harrington. As you can see with the 27 minute performance, Pietrus can be a very good player if given the extended opportunity.

GMs will no doubt take a look at his play prior to SJax coming on board, and whether it's one game or not, teams will remember his solid play in game 4 against the Mavs before offering him a contract.

And I'll reiterate....

Pietrus has a one-year $3M qualifying offer on the table, so why would he take a multi-year deal for less than that....and why wouldn't the Warriors match that deal if Pietrus was stupid enough to sign it?

mardigan
04-30-2007, 02:16 PM
What else do you want? These are realisitc options going into next year. Our biggest need is at SF, signing Nocioni or Pietrus would fulfill that. What do you want me to say, the Spurs should go S&T for Garnett?
I dont think they need do go after any sf in free agency. I would like them to see what they have in the future of White, and they could always draft someone to fill that position. Dont know why they would have to go outside of those options

AFBlue
04-30-2007, 02:18 PM

Given the Spurs' need for a SF that can play the PF in small-ball sets, I think I'd take Nocioni. Also, the Spurs have Bowen, Finley, and White as G/Fs already...

AFBlue
04-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Never a bad thing to have a guy that can put up 30+ points on any given night.

But, if they featured him in a package to get a low-post guy that could get 20 and 10, then I'd do the deal.

AFBlue
04-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Clearly he was being sarcastic. The likelihood that the Spurs stretch their limited resources and come away with every player you mentioned is slim...dare I say, non-existent.

The Spurs may be able to pull off one of those moves, but I doubt your dream scenario becomes a reality.

Big P
04-30-2007, 02:25 PM
I dont think they need do go after any sf in free agency. I would like them to see what they have in the future of White, and they could always draft someone to fill that position. Dont know why they would have to go outside of those options

While White is a good player & I would like to see him continue as a Spur, I am not sure he is our answer at the SF spot & drafting a SF at 27 is definitly not going to be the answer to our SF problems. Bowen, Finley & Horry are all about done, the Spurs most pressing need is finding a suitable replacement at SF, & I imagine the Spurs will look to fill that need by using the MLE this offseason, whether it be with Pietrus, Nocioni or someone else, the Spurs should be looking at a SF this summer.

If you dont think that the SF position is our biggest concern, what position do you think is?

Big P
04-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Clearly he was being sarcastic. The likelihood that the Spurs stretch their limited resources and come away with every player you mentioned is slim...dare I say, non-existent.

The Spurs may be able to pull off one of those moves, but I doubt your dream scenario becomes a reality.

So was he being sarcastic about preferring Pietrus over Nocioni if we had to make a choice?

mardigan
04-30-2007, 02:33 PM
While White is a good player & I would like to see him continue as a Spur, I am not sure he is our answer at the SF spot & drafting a SF at 27 is definitly not going to be the answer to our SF problems. Bowen, Finley & Horry are all about done, the Spurs most pressing need is finding a suitable replacement at SF, & I imagine the Spurs will look to fill that need by using the MLE this offseason, whether it be with Pietrus, Nocioni or someone else, the Spurs should be looking at a SF this summer.

If you dont think that the SF position is our biggest concern, what position do you think is?
Talented bigs. Bowen and Finley have another year left in them to me at least. Horry is gone, and that leaves us with Berrty and Elson. Butler might turn out pretty good, but right now he isnt a answer. I would love the Spurs to get a big that can grab 8-10 boards, maybe a block or 2 and another 8-10 points on a consistent basis. If we could get another big in there to take some pressure off of Tim, it just might keep Timmy around for an extra year or two. I do agree that we need a new wing player, Im just hoping that we can use next year to find out about White. And there will be a lot of sf/sgs around where we will pick available, its a deep draft at those positions

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 03:39 PM
So was he being sarcastic about preferring Pietrus over Nocioni if we had to make a choice?

All I was implying is the 2-3 million (at least) that could be saved by taking pietrus over nocioni could be used in other signings (such as pg). Lets not forget that peitrus is the same age as white (let you decide who is farther along in their BB skills). Oh, and yes I was being very sarcastic when saying "is that all?" due to the spurs not making that many moves over the last 2 years combined.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Why would Golden State not match a reasonable offer for this guy?

exstatic
04-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Why would Golden State not match a reasonable offer for this guy?
Stephen Jackson
JRich
Matt Barnes
Al Harrington

They are notoriously cheap and have the whole "guy who can post up and shoot" thing covered.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Stephen Jackson
JRich
Matt Barnes
Al Harrington

They are notoriously cheap and have the whole "guy who can post up and shoot" thing covered.I don't remember their being cheap, just really stupid with the money they do spend. They spent as much money as we did this season, and have about the same obligations we have next season. Those four guys you mentioned are already playing alot of minutes already, so I don't see why Pietrus would be so expendable barring the drafting of a superior player.

objective
04-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Why wouldn't Golden State match any amount that's MLE or less?

Especially why wouldn't they match a paltry sum of 3-4 per? That's nothing for an NBA bench player. Brent Barry makes more than that, and he was a million years old on the backside of his career when he signed his deal to be a bench player.

Maybe if some other team broke him off $7+ after losing out on Gerald Wallace I could see Golden State being hesitant to pull the trigger with them needing to pay Biedrins and Ellis, but that's not something the Spurs can figure in on.

Mr. Body
04-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Why wouldn't Golden State match any amount that's MLE or less?

I'd say because Pietrus isn't worth it. They have other wing players who do the same thing. Point in fact: they haven't needed him this series, although he did come through last night. If someone throws the full MLE at him, the GSW have a tough decision.

mardigan
04-30-2007, 07:17 PM
I don't remember their being cheap, just really stupid with the money they do spend. They spent as much money as we did this season, and have about the same obligations we have next season. Those four guys you mentioned are already playing alot of minutes already, so I don't see why Pietrus would be so expendable barring the drafting of a superior player.
Two words, Adonal Foyle.
Why wouldnt the Warriors just pay him his qualifying offer for next year?
Maybe I just dont understand how the qualifying offers work

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:19 PM
If we throw our full MLE at another 6'5" guard, I'll start a Hawks board.

objective
04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
guys who come through in one or two games in the playoffs make their money all the time (except stephen jackson, lol).

Austin Croshere turned two twenty point games into 7 million a year.

Pietrus is also good insurance in case Jackson has to go to jail.

objective
04-30-2007, 07:22 PM
If we throw our full MLE at another 6'5" guard, I'll start a Hawks board.

hey, that's not fair. I thought he was 6'6"?

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah, that makes a difference.

I apologize.

objective
04-30-2007, 07:24 PM
lol

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 07:33 PM
According to hoops hype he is 6'6. Where are you getting 6'5?

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:36 PM
:lol

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Chump I thought you would enjoy the facts on this matter!!I think pietrus can be had 4 million..

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah, this thread is chock full o' facts.

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Dude, its all in good fun...Try it some time you may enjoy it!!

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:42 PM
"If we spend $4 million of our MLE on another 6'6" guard, I'll voluntarily edit a Woody Paige sentence."

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Let's be realistic... what's Matt Barnes deal?

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Well, its 1.5 million less what the spurs spent on barry..I see this as an improvement..Barnes sucks!!

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I see it as utterly ridiculous.

What is the team need that is met here?

A shorter, worse-defending Bruce Bowen?

BradLohaus
04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I like Pietrus and I think he would develop very well here, if it's possible to get him. Was anybody out there stoked in 2001 about the Bruce Bowen signing? The Spurs have fantastic coaches and if they think Pietrus has potential that isn't being realized in Don Nelson's system but would be in SA then I have no doubt that they could get the most out of him.

Despot
04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Isn't he the guy that was on Parker's show a few weeks back? He mentioned something about keeping the possibility of playing for the Spurs open, or would like to play here?

Not saying I'd wnt him, just wondering if it was Pietrus.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Was anybody out there stoked in 2001 about the Bruce Bowen signing?More like relieved. He was pretty much the only SF available.

In this case, we already have Bruce and a cheap potential replacement, to say nothing of the gaping holes at other positions.

yavozerb
04-30-2007, 08:21 PM
I see it as utterly ridiculous.

What is the team need that is met here?

A shorter, worse-defending Bruce Bowen?

Do you really believe there well be another defender as good as Bowen to come along anytime soon? Shorter, yes, but able to rebound better and a good defender none the less..

Big P
04-30-2007, 08:35 PM
With Finely, Barry & Bowen all going within the next year, I think getting a player like Pietrus serves a very good purpose. And if you are referring to James White as Bowens replacement, there is no way you have seen enough of him to label him as a "cheap Bowen replacement". I want to see White on this team, but I dont think he is going to be that much of an impact player in the next 2 years.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Not worth spending the only $4 million we'll have this summer, that's for sure.

Big P
04-30-2007, 09:01 PM
The MLE will be more like $6 mil not $4 mil this summer..and who do you suggest we go after with our MLE if not Nocioni & Pietrus?

exstatic
04-30-2007, 10:21 PM
More like relieved. He was pretty much the only SF available.

In this case, we already have Bruce and a cheap potential replacement, to say nothing of the gaping holes at other positions.
Bruce is like 90 and Pietrus/Noccioni >>>>>>>>> Flight

ChumpDumper
05-01-2007, 04:23 AM
The MLE will be more like $6 mil not $4 mil this summer..and who do you suggest we go after with our MLE if not Nocioni & Pietrus?A big man who can get more than three boards a game.

This fixation on Pietrus is kind of weird. Like this series is the only non-Spur basketball anyone has seen this season. If he's such hot shit, Golden State keeps him. Pretty simple.

ginobili fan
05-01-2007, 05:13 AM
no because golden state do not have the money either

ChumpDumper
05-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Their cap situation is almost identical to ours and they can match any offer on Pietrus without using their MLE.

Streakyshooter08
05-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Well if the Spurs are not able to get Pietrus, Barnes might be a "cheap" alternative. I don't see a lot good SF's out there for a reasonable contract.

ChumpDumper
05-01-2007, 05:47 AM
I don't see another small-small forward as THE pressing need for next season above rebounding and backup point.

I also don't see the need in tying up half the MLE for a week when Golden State would likely match it easily.

Buying high isn't always a super great idea either.

Streakyshooter08
05-01-2007, 05:58 AM
@chump: I agree. A PG is also a big need. How much do you think Brevin Knight would be and how he would fit the Spurs? I think he would be an ideal backup PG for the Spurs.

I also hope that Butler will turn out to be what we hoped for and help with the rebounding problem. He had 10 and 9 rebounds in the last 2 regseason games (against teams who rested their players but still nearly a double double each game).

ChumpDumper
05-01-2007, 06:07 AM
We'd have to see if Charlotte picks up Knight's option. Even then he's clearly starting quality, so it might be tough to sign him as a backup for backup money. He's be a great fit though.

I haven't taken a good enough look at the available playoffs this summer, but Pietrus just seems like a nonstarter.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-01-2007, 06:58 AM
I think Jackie Butler will be part of the rotation next year, as long as he keeps up his conditioning over summer, and I'm sure that is the carrot they are dangling to keep him working hard. Pop never plays new players much in their first year here (Elson an obvious exception) because they have to learn the system. And Bonner will take over Horry's big man outside shooting and hustle role (and we will miss Horry in the playoffs!).

That leaves us backup PG and SF. I think they'll draft our future SF (we have 4 picks plus rights to Scola to move up with), and fill holes with the MLE, probably get a backup point for small money and not use it all as we're close to the luxtax threshold already.

Is Vaughn signed for next year? He's done okay to fill another year.

I'd love Nocioni, but how the hell do we get him? No way Chicago let him walk given the core they've built. They're ready to contend.

Walter Hermann, now there's an intriguing idea...

Ocotillo
05-01-2007, 07:27 AM
I think Jackie Butler will be part of the rotation next year, as long as he keeps up his conditioning over summer, and I'm sure that is the carrot they are dangling to keep him working hard.

I'm not sure a carrot will do it. May need to try a pizza. :lol

Dro210
05-01-2007, 08:36 AM
A big man who can get more than three boards a game.

Where exactly are you gonna get that? We've been trying, they're all the same..... If we really were paying attention, we would have tried to scoop Tyson Chandler before the Hornets got him.... He was showing signs...

Any good big man there is, is gonna cost more than we've got, I'll tell you that, that's why we get Nazr's and Elson's. Chandler would have been perfect since he was a buy low guy with super high potential

Even a Chris Wilcox woulda been nice

Just runnin options in my head, but what yall think about Sam Dalembert? Think we could steal him away from Philly? He'd have huge potential with us, imo... long, great rebounder and shot blocker, still young...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Dalembert@11mil per, no way, couldn't afford him anyway.

I don't know why people doubt Jackie. Yes, he's a big guy, but he's slimmed down a lot and most of that size is muscle now. He has nice touch, he can rebound, and he's had a year in the system. We signed him for 3 yrs, and I'll be surprised if he's not a significant role player next year, maybe even more the year after. It all depends on his desire, because he has the tools.

Dro210
05-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Dalembert@11mil per, no way, couldn't afford him anyway.

I don't know why people doubt Jackie. Yes, he's a big guy, but he's slimmed down a lot and most of that size is muscle now. He has nice touch, he can rebound, and he's had a year in the system. We signed him for 3 yrs, and I'll be surprised if he's not a significant role player next year, maybe even more the year after. It all depends on his desire, because he has the tools.

11mil.... Damn! Didn't know that, it'd still be nice if we could scoop him if there was any way to do it. When's he gonna be a free agent?

and I don't doubt at all that Butler can be a significant role player next year, or in the years to come... but the keyword there is role player.... I don't see him bein somebody that's gonna be an impact starter, at least not yet, you know?

Ocotillo
05-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I don't know why people doubt Jackie. Yes, he's a big guy, but he's slimmed down a lot and most of that size is muscle now.

If that was directed toward my pizza comment, I actually am with you on Jackie. I am hoping the best for the guy and that he does break out in the summer leagues. It was just to easy of set up to pass up the wisecrack. :p:

AFBlue
05-01-2007, 01:04 PM
and I don't doubt at all that Butler can be a significant role player next year, or in the years to come... but the keyword there is role player.... I don't see him bein somebody that's gonna be an impact starter, at least not yet, you know?

I guess that's the luxury of having the two-time MVP and three-time Finals MVP on your team....you can afford to have role players with the potential to grow into legitimate impact starters. I think it's clear that Elson, Oberto, Horry, and Bonner are of the role-player variety, but Butler is different....

Butler has youth (22yrs old), decent athleticism, great size, better low post skills than anyone on the team not named Duncan, and most of all....potential to take his game to the next level.

What Butler needs is the opportunity....

Dro210
05-01-2007, 01:37 PM
I guess that's the luxury of having the two-time MVP and three-time Finals MVP on your team....you can afford to have role players with the potential to grow into legitimate impact starters. I think it's clear that Elson, Oberto, Horry, and Bonner are of the role-player variety, but Butler is different....

Butler has youth (22yrs old), decent athleticism, great size, better low post skills than anyone on the team not named Duncan, and most of all....potential to take his game to the next level.

What Butler needs is the opportunity....

Yep, and what a great luxury it is.... Bein able to sit a guy like Horry for almost the whole year and bring him out in the playoffs.... Doesn't get any better.

Don't get me wrong, if you were thinking I was hating on Butler, I wasn't.... I've got high hopes for him too, he's got the potential. I'm just sayin, he's not such a stud that he's gonna just step in next year and be the answer to all our problems right away...

ChumpDumper
05-01-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm just sayin, he's not such a stud that he's gonna just step in next year and be the answer to all our problems right away...As opposed to Pietrus, who is the answer to problems that don't yet exist.

ChumpDumper
05-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Where exactly are you gonna get that?One could try to steal a guy like Justin Williams from Sacramento with a relatively high offer, for example. They might balk at using their MLE to match it. It'll be interesing to see the kind of offers he gets, as he hasn't played too much but has shown great promise when he has.

picnroll
05-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Justin Williams would be a great pickup.

BradLohaus
05-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Bruce turns 36 in June. His long term replacement has to be our biggest problem. Maybe Bruce will be able to chase guys like AI around until he's 40, but I'm not counting on that. We have to have options other than Flight White. If not Pietrus then at least somebody.

What do yall think the Spurs will do with Bruce after his contract runs out after next year when he's 37? How long and how much could they possibly extend him and pay him?

Golden State has Davis, Jax, and Richardson locked up for awhile and you know they won't let Monta Ellis go. I don't see how they don't lose either Pietrus or Barnes soon, and they could lose them both. They will never start at GS. Even if GS matches any offer for next season surely Pietrus will only sign for one year. Eventually he is going to want at least a chance at a starting job, which is an opportunity he will never have with the roster GS is locked into. They've got alot of money tied up in the coming years. And if they want to keep Biedrins long term then that's even more money.

picnroll
05-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Pietrus won't be chasing AI around. If he paaned out he possibly would be better than Bowen guarding th strong SF-types like Carmelo, LeBron, Bonzi, but he doesn't have quickness to guard guys like AI, Nash that Bowen can handle.

Dro210
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
One could try to steal a guy like Justin Williams from Sacramento with a relatively high offer, for example. They might balk at using their MLE to match it. It'll be interesing to see the kind of offers he gets, as he hasn't played too much but has shown great promise when he has.

I havn't seen him play really, since he plays out on the west coast without many national tv games.... and I despise the Queens... but I'll take yalls word for it, and be lookin out for him.

BradLohaus
05-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Pietrus won't be chasing AI around. If he paaned out he possibly would be better than Bowen guarding th strong SF-types like Carmelo, LeBron, Bonzi, but he doesn't have quickness to guard guys like AI, Nash that Bowen can handle.

That's true but Bruce is the one guy in the league who can guard all of those players night in night out and do it well. Parker's defense has improved alot and he's doing a good job on AI when Bruce is on Melo. We won't be able to replace Bruce completely, but with Parker's continued defensive improvement maybe we won't be hurt too badly by Bruce's replacement not being able to guard PG's.

Pietrus and Barnes are looking good again tonight.

Marcus Bryant
05-02-2007, 01:15 AM
If Parker's buddy wants to join for a reasonable price, take what you can get.

raspsa
05-02-2007, 02:00 AM
If ever Mahinmi comes over, doesn't he have the quickness and athletic ability to guard the perimeter? I don't think its a good idea to bulk up skinny giys and try to fit them into the center position.. keep him lean, make him mean IMO.

ChumpDumper
05-02-2007, 02:22 AM
If Parker's buddy wants to join for a reasonable price, take what you can get.reasonable = matchable

ChumpDumper
05-02-2007, 02:23 AM
If ever Mahinmi comes over, doesn't he have the quickness and athletic ability to guard the perimeter? I don't think its a good idea to bulk up skinny giys and try to fit them into the center position.. keep him lean, make him mean IMO.He has no hope of being anything but a PF/C, and he doesn't necessarily have to bulk up much to be that in today's NBA.

yavozerb
05-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I like pietrus, but we could draft Rush and save alot of money in the process for a younger player who probably has better jump shot that also excels on defense. And yes he to is 6'6.

BradLohaus
05-02-2007, 03:52 PM
If we could draft a guy that would be great. The next guy to start at SF for the Spurs after Bruce is probably in a high school gym in Bulgaria shooting corner 3's right now.

Mr. Body
05-02-2007, 03:55 PM
I like pietrus, but we could draft Rush and save alot of money in the process for a younger player who probably has better jump shot that also excels on defense.

Yes x 10.

edoubledwhy
05-02-2007, 04:03 PM
alert first post! first i gotta say i've been browsing this forum ever since the playoffs started and its hands down has the best mix of info, comedy, trashtalk, and real basketball discussion than most others i browse.

back to topic, as a warriors fan i watched him for most of his whole career but he's not all that. i think his defense is a tad overrated, its almost guaranteed he'll botch the fast break bucket if he has to push it up court, his free throws need work (which warrior doesn't though)

i do like his ability to raise above the rim but if it comes down to signing matt barnes or pietrus i'd rather have them sign barnes so yall can have pietrus.