PDA

View Full Version : IF IF IF IF The mavericks lose this series...

T Park
04-30-2007, 01:01 AM
And your Mark Cuban.

Do you fire Avery Johnson?

Serious question.

1-8 in your last 9 playoff games.

The team doesnt respond or play well under pressure.

Lots of coaching mistakes tonight.

Do you CONSIDER IT, or DO IT?

QUESTION

Chris Childs
04-30-2007, 01:02 AM
IF what?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-30-2007, 01:03 AM
nah, I'd keep Avery for another season

but I still don't think the Mavs are done for yet

I really wouldn't be all surprised if they pull what phoenix did last year

Findog
I think anything is possible and nobody's future with the Mavericks should be assured after this series.

Honestly, my gut tells me that it could go either way: it could be a very quiet and uneventful offseason, or....well, get the popcorn ready.

Shank
If he does that, then it shows that Cuban has too much of a hand in running this team. Avery is fine as the coach, but the pieces (at least against the Warriors) aren't the best. Even looking back now, I'd love to still have Griffin, Daniels and - yes - Van Horn over Buckner, Croshere and sometimes Devean George.

angel_luv
04-30-2007, 01:05 AM
Well first Cuban and Avery would both have to survive getting elimated in the first round by Nellie and Golden State.

TheSanityAnnex
04-30-2007, 01:06 AM
Simple answer, no.

lurker
04-30-2007, 01:06 AM
Firing Avery would be idiotic.

Maybe Mark will be dramatic and try to sell the team again.

Ronaldo McDonald
04-30-2007, 01:08 AM
I don't know.

While I do think he is being out-coached, I don't think he is being out smarted, considering the fact that Nelly definitely has the the advantage by knowing a lot of his schemes and players, especially their comfort spots, their weak spots, their holes etc.

They'll let him have one more year whatever does happen. If they don't WIN a ring next year I'm positive he won't be there.

Findog
04-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Dallas definitely seemed to have finally adjusted to what the Warriors are trying to do, but there is something about this team....they just cannot execute in crunchtime. Ever since that fateful Game Three....maybe this team needs therapy or something. It's just inexplicable. They'd controlled the game for the most part, did more good things than bad, and all they had to do was win 1 measly quarter to tie this thing up and regain HCA. Just a few possessions is the difference from us regaining the edge to being in an almost hopeless tactical position.

judaspriestess
04-30-2007, 01:10 AM
mark cuban needs to fire himself. He is a detriment to his team being out there with his ugly ass mug. He's ridiculous and a distraction.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Dallas definitely seemed to have finally adjusted to what the Warriors are trying to do, but there is something about this team....they just cannot execute in crunchtime. Ever since that fateful Game Three....maybe this team needs therapy or something. It's just inexplicable. They'd controlled the game for the most part, did more good things than bad, and all they had to do was win 1 measly quarter to tie this thing up and regain HCA. Just a few possessions is the difference from us regaining the edge to being in an almost hopeless tactical position.

had davis not banked in that halfcourt shot, it easily coulda been 2-2

T Park
04-30-2007, 01:11 AM
If he does that, then it shows that Cuban has too much of a hand in running this team. Avery is fine as the coach, but the pieces (at least against the Warriors) aren't the best. Even looking back now, I'd love to still have Griffin, Daniels and - yes - Van Horn over Buckner, Croshere and sometimes Devean George

The stupid trade was trading Anthony Johnson.

Wouldn't he look good defending Baron davis right now.

Big body on a big body.

Anthony Johnson a pretty clutch player.

Im just sayin.....

Shank
04-30-2007, 01:13 AM
The only thing Anthony Johnson would be to Davis is a slightly bigger speedbump in his layup parade.

nkdlunch
04-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Cuban takes it up the ass

Findog
04-30-2007, 01:14 AM

Or Stackhouse unleashing that wild Peyton Manning bomb downfield that Davis picked off for the steal. That's five points right there off flukes...Sometimes, maybe it's just not going to happen. Whenever we made a run and had it under control, they fought and clawed and got back in it...and 5 fluke points that came back to haunt us. Of course, nobody bothered to close out on Davis and get a hand in his face on that midcourt heave.

aaronstampler
04-30-2007, 01:15 AM
If they lose he will do something dramatic. Firing AJ isn't a big enough move and it'll probably piss off most of the team. Either he'll sell the team or he'll trade Dirk. I mean, would a Dirk-KG trade be the craziest thing you've ever heard? I don't think so. They both make max contracts and both could use a change of scenery.

I could see Cuban making that move and then ripping Dirk on his blog after he's gone.

Lp26
04-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Avery isn't the problem.

I don't see Cuban firing him.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
04-30-2007, 01:19 AM
No way he'll fire A.J. It's not totally his fault they're down 1-3. They just ran into the wrrrrroooooong 8th seed this time around.

judaspriestess
04-30-2007, 01:19 AM

honestly, I see this team as having this air of entitlement. They think/thought teams were not going to play them hard. Dirk is MIA and Avery is totally bewildered by Nellie. It is/was the worst possible matchup for them. But all the attitudes, ejections in dallas, shit like that just comes back to haunt you. But its still not over either.

I noticed the mavericks vulnerability when they lost to Phoenix at home the last time they played each other. Basically they shot their wad too early and Avery is still a young coach with a lot more learning to do. If they do lose, I hope it humbles them because after losing four in a row in the finals last year, they still have not tasted some humble pie.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 01:21 AM
He'll trade Dampier and feel all the problems have been solved.

TheSanityAnnex
04-30-2007, 01:22 AM
And Stackhouse's bank?

nkdlunch
04-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Cuban will get on his knees and suck Nellie's dick

dav4463
04-30-2007, 03:50 AM
If the mavericks lose..............San Antonio will still be the "City of Champions", Houston will still be "Clutch City", and Dallas will still be "Choke City."

If the mavericks lose.............Dirk will probably do a commercial with Romo and try to rebuild their images.

J.T.
04-30-2007, 04:25 AM
Avery Johnson has the best winning percentage in NBA history right now. Firing him would be stupid. A roster shakeup might be necessary, though. Or Cuban might try to sell the team. I probably would after a letdown like this.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-30-2007, 04:37 AM
No way he'll fire A.J. It's not totally his fault they're down 1-3. They just ran into the wrrrrroooooong 8th seed this time around.
Um...Didn't Avery have the opportunity to eliminate said, 8th seed from making the playoffs?? :dizzy

orlando-1
04-30-2007, 04:41 AM
if they did lose
cuban won't fire anyone from now on
because everyone he fired brought him a terrible playoff

jmard5
04-30-2007, 05:41 AM
The stupid trade was trading Anthony Johnson.

Wouldn't he look good defending Baron davis right now.

Big body on a big body.

Anthony Johnson a pretty clutch player.

Im just sayin.....

I guess Devin "best-defensive-point-guard-in-the-league" Harris is also out of the question? :lol

Bruno
04-30-2007, 05:47 AM
If Mavs lose (and it's not sure, remember Lakers/Suns last year), I think Cuban will do some big trades.
I don't think he will break Mavs core (Dirk/Howard) but he will use his financial capacities to trade for talented overpaid players.

Streakyshooter08
04-30-2007, 05:52 AM
I really hope GS is able to finish the series. They have not been in those situations before... I hope they are not "over excited".

If they lose. I think Avery stays in Dallas, they won't get a much better coach. I could imagine that a few trades might happen.

sanman53
04-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Avery isn't the problem.

I don't see Cuban firing him.

Since I have not been able to watch the games, what exactly is the problem (besides the Mavs not scoring more points than the Warriors)?

Is Avery getting outcoached this series? Or are the Warriors simply wanting it more?

Dirk Nowitzki
04-30-2007, 07:19 AM
And your Mark Cuban.

Serious question.

QUESTION

The Mavs are NOT losing this series. This is just our first wake up call. They will show that true sense of urgency come Tuesday and keep it going till they win game 6 then 7. No way in hell we get eliminated round 1! I still dont see it! :clap

ponky
04-30-2007, 07:23 AM
honestly, I see this team as having this air of entitlement. They think/thought teams were not going to play them hard. Dirk is MIA and Avery is totally bewildered by Nellie. It is/was the worst possible matchup for them. But all the attitudes, ejections in dallas, shit like that just comes back to haunt you. But its still not over either.

I noticed the mavericks vulnerability when they lost to Phoenix at home the last time they played each other. Basically they shot their wad too early and Avery is still a young coach with a lot more learning to do. If they do lose, I hope it humbles them because after losing four in a row in the finals last year, they still have not tasted some humble pie.

Hmmm, don't confuse the team owner and the fans with the team. Dirk has always been a fairly humble guy as have a lot of other players, except for maybe Stack who likes to run his mouth.

ponky
04-30-2007, 07:23 AM
The Mavs are NOT losing this series. This is just our first wake up call. They will show that true sense of urgency come Tuesday and keep it going till they win game 6 then 7. No way in hell we get eliminated round 1! I still dont see it! :clap

lol, you make me smile when i read your posts! :)

CubanMustGo
04-30-2007, 08:08 AM

Weren't you also guaranteeing the win last night? Repeatedly?

SAGambler
04-30-2007, 08:15 AM

Sounds like Barkley at halftime.

What is the Warriors record against the Mavs this year?

And yet you still seem to think Dallas can win 3 in a row?

Oh, well......Denial is the first stage of dying.

cholo
04-30-2007, 08:18 AM
I really hope GS is able to finish the series. They have not been in those situations before... I hope they are not "over excited".

my homey jack city is clutch. he'll close these vatos out

Islymore
04-30-2007, 08:42 AM
well it's one game at a time. I still havent seen anything from the Mavs that even shows a glimmer of the team that played all season. Its disappointing.

i still think they got it in them to win, I would much rather see them attempt to play ONE WHOLE GAME of good ball on both ends - offensively and defensively. it's not enuf to play well offensively and then just let them run and gun right to the hole for easy layups... or just leave them wide open on the 3 pt line. it just upset me sittin there watching ppl just linger around the 3 pt line, with nobody attemptin to come to the defense.

very disappointed in that game. disappointed in my team and I hope they are disappointed in themselves. i want to see a BATTLE ROYALE - win or lose - they better come like they want to win or i will be forced to start believing in the 'trade dirk' thots that I had last year...

ducks
04-30-2007, 09:04 AM
I hope they fire AJ so he can coach the Spurs when Pop retires...
he does not have to get fired now to coach spurs when pop retires
pop is not retiring this year

MadDog73
04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
It's funny, cause when Dirk hit those two clutch threes, I was like "Where was that shit earlier?"

It's strange... it seems Dirk always needs someone else to bail him out of a loss, even though he's a very talented player. (ie, Manu's foul last year).

But I can't think of someone else I would trade Dirk for: AI? KG? Carter?

Seriously, who could you even trade him for if you wanted to?

Spurminator
04-30-2007, 09:09 AM
I think it's very very possible that Cuban sells the team this summer.

ThomasGranger
04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
I see the Warriors closing this out in game 6. But, should the Mavs find a way to dig themselves out of this hole and take control of the series, they will be a much more dangerous team than they would have been had they cruised through the first round.

mFFL03
04-30-2007, 09:12 AM
It's funny, cause when Dirk hit those two clutch threes, I was like "Where was that shit earlier?"

It's strange... it seems Dirk always needs someone else to bail him out of a loss, even though he's a very talented player. (ie, Manu's foul last year).

Those were "Dirk's spots" though. The other 3's he jacked up were completley away from his normal positions.

And seriously, this Warrior Team is possessed. POSSESSED.

Baron Davis is like Dwayne Wade last year WITHOUT the Fouls......and that is simply incredible.

The weird thing is they are only playing a 6 or 7 man rotation? Yet, then again so are we. But all their guys are playing 100%, our's are f'ing sucking.

Islymore
04-30-2007, 09:13 AM
It's funny, cause when Dirk hit those two clutch threes, I was like "Where was that shit earlier?" Hell yes!!! I was soo fuckin' mad! It's too late to play hero when you been in lala land for damn near 47 mins of the game. Seriously. I get sick of that shit and then he only took those three's hopin a ref would call a foul and bail him out. If you want the foul call, take it to them boys. I couldnt understand why in the 3rd I think they were already in foul trouble, had like 3 mins to go and we couldnt get anyone to RUN UP THE FUCKIN MIDDLE!?!?!?!?!? :pctoss :dizzy :madrun

nobdoy, you would have to be :drunk to think it would be smart. Dirk is a phenomenal player - I give him that. but as good as he is, he doesnt want to do it by himself and he doesnt want to be a leader. so maybe they should try to bring in someone to accompany Dirk rather than trading him. someone who wants to be a leader... not someone who says "if its 3-1, this series is over"...

lurker
04-30-2007, 09:32 AM
I admire the fact that you still have hope, even if it is just going to lead to bigger disappointment.

The Mavs are in shock right now instead of being angry. I couldn't believe how emotionless Dirk seemed in the post game after he had stated if they lost that game, their season was over.

Islymore
04-30-2007, 09:34 AM
The Mavs are in shock right now instead of being angry. I couldn't believe how emotionless Dirk seemed in the post game after he had stated if they lost that game, their season was over.

precisely my problem. as prideful as the team has been all year, they seem really relaxed at their predicament, almost as if it doesnt matter either way. but wasnt this the team that was OH SO DETERMINED to get back to the finals? i dont see it.

lurker
04-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Same team that said the season would mean nothing if they didn't get the rings. I don't know how they went from that to not even caring.

sribb43
04-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Trade Dirk for KG, not sure how the salaries match though

pg: harris
sg: terry
sf: howard
pf: KG
C: Dampier

SpursFanFirst
04-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Firing Avery would be idiotic.

Maybe Mark will be dramatic and try to sell the team again.

I've been wondering this all season. He tried to sell before (last year, right?), but Terry and Nowitski talked him out of it.
Win or lose, I think he may walk away...Win? He won't have anything left to achieve with them. Lose? Well, why keep throwing your money away on a team that can't win?
It's just a feeling I'm getting. He's frustrated with the league, so why stick around when he can buy a hockey or baseball team...or invest his money somewhere outside of sports?

sribb43
04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
You have to break up the team or at least get rid of a few guys bc if the Mavs loss this series vs. GS mentally there is no way these guys can recover from losing to an 8th seed after winning 67 games and losing a 2-0 lead in the finals the year before

SpursFanFirst
04-30-2007, 10:44 AM

FIRST wakeup call? How many does Dallas need? They lost every game to them this season...and then lose to them in game 1 of the 1st round?
I think there have been enough "wakeup" calls.

sribb43
04-30-2007, 10:47 AM

Wake up call should have been Game 1 and all the games the Mavs lost to the Warriors this year and losing in the finals after blowing a 2-0 lead. If that isnt a wake up call then you have no business winning a championshio let alone a 1st round series to the Warriors

td4mvp3
04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Wake up call should have been Game 1 and all the games the Mavs lost to the Warriors this year and losing in the finals after blowing a 2-0 lead. If that isnt a wake up call then you have no business winning a championshio let alone a 1st round series to the Warriors
agreed. maybe rustiness is a factor in game one, but game three should have been a cold shower with the alarm clock blaring and someone dunking a toaster in the tub just to get them jolted. the espn radio in dallas had commentors talking, and one of them kept saying she was waiting for the real mavs to show up, the team that won 67 games. i wanted to call in and point out that the same team also lost three straight to the warriors and the streak goes back into 2006, so maybe it's not just a fluke or a team that has lost its identity.

Supergirl
04-30-2007, 12:09 PM
No.

But I do think the Mavs will lose. I predict they come back to win game 5 at home, and then lose to GS in California in game 6.

Avery is still a good coach. One of the best. But no one on that team has an answer to Baron Davis - he exploits the defensive weaknesses of EVERYONE on that team. And Dirk does not have that inner, undefinable THING that champions have. I said that last year after their Finals meltdown, and I still don't see it.

DallasFan
04-30-2007, 12:13 PM
And your Mark Cuban.

Serious question.

QUESTION

No...he's still very young for a coach. He'll just get better. They need to get a big inside presence that attacks the boards and doesn't fumble the ball all the time. A clutch shooter for the PLAYOFFS would be nice also.

mFFL03
04-30-2007, 12:39 PM
No...he's still very young for a coach. He'll just get better. They need to get a big inside presence that attacks the boards and doesn't fumble the ball all the time. A clutch shooter for the PLAYOFFS would be nice also.

those guy's names are supposed to be dampier and terry.....

too bad dampier only gets 13 minutes per game though.....

DallasFan
04-30-2007, 12:46 PM
I think it's very very possible that Cuban sells the team this summer.

I think you may be right...I've been thinking the same myself. He's not having fun anymore...especially right now :donkey

DallasFan
04-30-2007, 12:47 PM
those guy's names are supposed to be dampier and terry.....

too bad dampier only gets 13 minutes per game though.....

Exactly...it seems when Terry is on everyone else is off. When Stack and Josh are on, he's really bad. Damp has an injured left arm and it is being VERY downplayed for some reason.

monosylab1k
04-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Damp has an injured left arm and it is being VERY downplayed for some reason.

Dampier is horrible for a series like this....which is why i'm so fucking happy we're paying him $10M a year to sit his fucking ass on the bench during the playoffs instead of using that money to keep Nash.

phyzik
04-30-2007, 01:00 PM
If The Mavericks lose this series......

Monosylab1k will not post (per the bet).
:angel

dbreiden83080
04-30-2007, 01:36 PM
No i keep him but it would really be poetic justice if the Nelson coached Warriors beat them since it was Cuban that really lost faith in Nelson and his approach with the Mavs. There may have to be a revaluating of Nelson's job with the Mavs since it does not look like they are winning a title under Avery anytime soon either.

Cry Havoc
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
I think I just hit on something.... a light clicked on in my brain.

Watching the Denver - SA series has kind of given me an insight into how the Mavs are getting beaten so solidly every night.

I know, I know, it makes no sense. Or does it? I was watching last game and noting how often they would call a pick-and-roll for Iverson. Except the man they were using to pick is the one Bowen was guarding. And Bruce is so heady with his defense he can simultaneously shut down Iverson (which is within his ability anyway) and keep the pass from being made to the man being guarded by Parker.

Every time I saw Bowen switch onto AI, it was almost like Iverson was shriveling up. His ball handling became a lot more guarded and less explosive. Every time I saw Bowen jump out on that pick, I was like, "Oh, thank God they set a pick and now we have Bowen on Iverson."

I'm not really sure if Denver recognized this; they ran the same play most of Game 3 and got solidly shut down each time. It seems like they need Iverson to get a little space so he can collapse the defense. But that doesn't happen against Bowen.

Now, think back to 2006. What beat the Spurs? Why, the Mavs vaunted pick-and-roll attack, that's what! Bowen had problems guarding Dirk from the start, but when they moved Bowen off on a switch, it left Parker or Finley on Dirk, which was just hopeless (wow, Nowitzki was so much more aggressive last year in the playoffs). This led to so, so many easy buckets for Dallas and we just couldn't stop it. The court was too spread out, and our defense was unable to pull off their man quick enough to help out with Dirk.

Fast-forward to 2007. The Mavs are still calling the plays. They are still attempting to run their offense. Except two monstrously important things have changed:

1. Golden State plays a much different style of defense than the Spurs. This goes without saying, but the simple fact is that Golden State's helter skelter fly everywhere defense works a lot better against Dallas than the Spurs grounded, scientific, smart approach to the game. The Spurs want to lock down EVERY PLAYER on EVERY PLAY, but the problem is that Dallas had players to exploit that, even in their natural matchups. Golden State's defense is inconsistent, but it's daunting, and Nellie has them playing crazed. You might make the pass for an open shot once, but there are going to be hands EVERYWHERE in your face, and the next time they will probably get a steal if you're intimidated or just a second late.

The Spurs never want to give up an open jumper or a good look, while the Warriors really don't care, as long as they force a lot of turnovers. This has the Mavs offense a step slow, hesistant to do anything for fear of giving up a fast-break. And this leads to the next point:

2. The Warriors are, size and speed wise, a very uniform team. This probably would work against them if/when they play a team with a dominant big, like Yao and the Rockets or Duncan's Spurs, but in this matchup, there is no way for the Mavs to get in close to the rim. Damp and Diop are probably as strong in the post as the GS players, but the Warriors are just playing with emotion and adrenaline, and obviously more aggressive. And the Mavs big men CANNOT handle being double-teamed. They make bad decisions. This forces Dallas to rely on their old friend, the pick and roll, to get them points. They leaned on it against the Spurs, and it worked wonderfully as Dirk or Terry could find a mismatch.

But what do you do when the guy jumping out to guard you is much the same as the one you just rolled the pick off of? This completely negates the effectiveness of the pick-and-roll and reduces it to little more than a slowed offensive maneuver, except now that you're clustering two players together, you're reducing the number of open players to pass the ball to. So the pick and roll that dominated the Spurs seems to have almost become a crutch for Dallas. They use it almost exclusively to get Dirk shots, because against almost every other team in the league, it results in a huge mismatch.
Not so with Golden State. They just keep throwing players at him, playing physical, overpowering the Mavs smaller players with strength. And the thing that allowed the Mavs to win 67 games -- and beat the Spurs last year -- might just have become their Achilles' Heel here. Golden State knows exactly what to do to beat the Mavs main offensive attack. Lots of mid-height, athletic jumpers who aren't afraid to play 1-on-1 defense.

It might be too much for the Mavs to solve in a 7 game series.

ALVAREZ6
04-30-2007, 04:19 PM
:lmao

no I would not fire Avery, I'd fire myself