PDA

View Full Version : Your Printer Doesn't lie...

Nbadan
11-22-2004, 04:04 PM
WASHINGTON--Next time you make a printout from your color laser printer, shine an LED flashlight beam on it and examine it closely with a magnifying glass. You might be able to see the small, scattered yellow dots printer there that could be used to trace the document back to you.

According to experts, several printer companies quietly encode the serial number and the manufacturing code of their color laser printers and color copiers on every document those machines produce. Governments, including the United States, already use the hidden markings to track counterfeiters.

Yahoo News (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&e=4&u=/pcworld/20041122/tc_pcworld/118664)

Useruser666
11-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Is it a conspiracy Dan? What is your purpose for posting this? Just curious.

CommanderMcBragg
11-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Have you been watching CSI?

Hook Dem
11-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Yahoo News (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&e=4&u=/pcworld/20041122/tc_pcworld/118664)
Some of us don't have anything to be concerned about Dan! Have you been sending documents to somewhere you shouldn't? :lol

Useruser666
11-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Some of us don't have anything to be concerned about Dan! Have you been sending documents to somewhere you shouldn't? :lol

Monopoly money isn't illegal to copy for personal use.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2004, 08:36 PM
You know, for all the so called libertarians in this damn forum, no one ever seems to think of the implications of this.

Hmm, I print up a flyer for a protest and all of a sudden the government knows. I love it.

Bandit2981
11-22-2004, 09:25 PM
You know, for all the so called libertarians in this damn forum, no one ever seems to think of the implications of this.
why should they? if NbaDan's name is there as the thread starter, the whole post is automatically garbage to everyone :rolleyes

Useruser666
11-22-2004, 09:42 PM

Hmm, I print up a flyer for a protest and all of a sudden the government knows. I love it.

That'snot really the case Manny. Only printers capable of high quality color output have that. Common ink jets don't. Most b/w copiers don't do that either.
Who caresif thegoverment knows your protesting. Isn't that what you want?

Guru of Nothing
11-22-2004, 09:45 PM
why should they? if NbaDan's name is there as the thread starter, the whole post is automatically garbage to everyone :rolleyes

Precisely. With an exception here and there, I shun threads begun by nbadan.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2004, 10:49 PM
yet you're in the thread and it's obviously not garbage. Whatever.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Manny,

A buddy of mind did his thesis on this (it was a computer security class). The only printers and copiers that had this capability were running at a much higher resolution than anything you or I could buy off the shelf anywhere.

We're talking tens of thousands of dollars here.

Guru of Nothing
11-22-2004, 11:58 PM
yet you're in the thread and it's obviously not garbage. Whatever.

WTF Manny. I read and reply to one of Dan's posts, and you lose all concept of the word ANOMALY.

Whatever.