PDA

View Full Version : Two thumbs up to Cuban

Dalhoop
04-30-2007, 06:16 PM
The man let a group of returning reservest solders from Irac use the Mavs plane to fly from CA home to DFW. They got a good welcome from their families at the airport.

I bet that didn't make the news that you watch, or read. You all can hate all you want, all you see is the national news coverage of Cuban ... We in the Dallas area get to see the real guy and what he is about.

mardigan
04-30-2007, 06:17 PM
The man let a group of returning reservest solders from Irac use the Mavs plane to fly from CA home to DFW. They got a good welcome from their families at the airport.

I bet that didn't make the news that you watch, or read. You all can hate all you want, all you see is the national news coverage of Cuban ... We in the Dallas area get to see the real guy and what he is about.
Thats not why we hate him, his on court antics are the reason for that

dallaskd
04-30-2007, 06:17 PM

Dalhoop
04-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Thats not why we hate him, his on court antics are the reason for that

Thats what I'm talking about. If the only thing that anyone knew about you was the way you acted at a sporting event ... What would thier perseption be? Loud? Sometimes rude? Sometimes vulger? Maybe all at once and maybe throw in that your a drinker?

So maybe they would think that your a loud mouthed drunkard that uses vulgarity around children.

That doesn't make it so.

He doesn't like it when his team looses, I can understand the hate ... Too bad some people cannot see the real guy.

spyder
04-30-2007, 06:24 PM
:dramaquee

boutons_
04-30-2007, 06:28 PM
"We in the Dallas area get to see the real guy"

If you see the "real guy", then what's the effeminate, melo-dramatic dork with girlie bangs the rest of us see in the stands?

Bruno
04-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Everything is grey, nothing is black or white.

Cuban wearing his "rash" jersey at SA is the real Cuban.
Cuban being generous is the real Cuban.

Like for everybody there are things to hate and things to love about Cuban.

Some Spurs fans (including me) keep the bad things but it's quite logical because Cuban is the owner of the opposite team. Some Mavs fans too keep only negatives aspects of Spurs players ( Manu = Flopper, Bowen = Dirty..)

Dalhoop
04-30-2007, 06:34 PM
If you see the "real guy", then what's the effeminate, melo-dramatic dork with girlie bangs the rest of us see in the stands?

A guy at a sporting event with the Camera on him .. What else :)

Do you think that when they point the camera at someone that they are going to behave the same as they do without the camera on them? The only difference is that at Mavs games, the opposing camera is always on Cuban.

If you ever watch the games from the local feed, Cuban is hardly ever shown ... If at all. It really is a National media thing, here it just isn't an issue.

By the way, I don't like the 70's Monkeys hair either.

aaronstampler
04-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Dude voted for GW twice. Nuff said.

Dalhoop
04-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Some Spurs fans (including me) keep the bad things but it's quite logical because Cuban is the owner of the opposite team. Some Mavs fans too keep only negatives aspects of Spurs players ( Manu = Flopper, Bowen = Dirty..)

Like I said, I can understand the hate. Its just too bad that he doesn't draw more attention to the other things that he does outside the B-ball world. I guess that "good press" isn't high on his priority list .... Which by the way, is another reason that he is an alright guy :)

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I can understand the hate.Then shut up.
Its just too bad that he doesn't draw more attention to the other things that he does outside the B-ball world.All Cuban does is draw attention to himself whatever he does.

I bet you're still pissed "The Benefactor" got cancelled.

aaronstampler
04-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Then shut up.All Cuban does is draw attention to himself whatever he does.

I bet you're still pissed "The Benefactor" got cancelled.

It says something when Joe Q. Public decides you're less likable than Donald Trump. Of course Cuban blamed it on the producers/editors for making him look bad. :lol

aaronstampler
04-30-2007, 06:56 PM
From Deadspin 5/5/06

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nba/mark-cuban-would-like-to-remind-you-who-in-fact-he-is-171824.php

If you're one of those people who believes anything the New York Post's Page Six says anymore, it sounds like Mavericks owner Mark Cuban had quite an interesting evening in New York recently.

According to the notoriously billionaire-stalking paper, Cuban was refused entry to famed NYC nightclub Bungalow 8, even after he started waving around $1,000 to secure him a table.

But that's not the best part of the story. After Cuban was finally convinced he wasn't getting in, he and his "crew" headed to a place called Pink Elephant, where Cuban really found his groove.

Cuban was spotted chatting up several young women at his table. As he asked one hanger-on to round up some girls, he was overheard saying, "Just say I'm a billionaire. They'll come over." He also cracked, "For every billion dollars I have, my dick gets 10 inches longer."

According to Forbes, Cuban is worth $1.8 billion, which, according to our calculations, should put him at about 21 inches, which is impressive, yes, though an unusually painful surgery from which to recover.

Yeah, sounds like a great guy.

Don Quixote
04-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Glad to hear Cuban did something for the troops. Awesome to hear.

Dalhoop
04-30-2007, 07:02 PM
I never saw The Benefactor ... Don't like those types of shows.

Trump is in the buisness of selling himself, everything that he buys he puts his name on it ... His name is a brand ... It is his job to present himself the way that he wants.

Cuban doesn't care about "presenting" himself. This is shown in his dress, the things he does and things he says. Putting on a fake front is not what he is about. Thats not to say that Trump is a fake "persona", only that what you see of Cuban is more likely the true Cuban :)

Of course Cuban blamed it on the producers/editors for making him look bad. That is too funny. I would have blamed the camera man, The hair stylist, The makeup artist, the writer .... Well, you get the idea.

I would blame anyone but myself :)

Dalhoop
04-30-2007, 07:06 PM
From Deadspin 5/5/06

Didn't they report that Elvis was adopting a small indonesia nation to "one up" Angelina?

I don't believe much from the tabloids :)

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Cuban doesn't care about "presenting" himself.That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. He cares immensely about presenting himself. Just because he dressed more casually than the average NBA owner doesn't make him any less image conscious.
Putting on a fake front is not what he is about.How would you know?

BUMP
04-30-2007, 07:11 PM
He cares immensely about presenting himself.

and how would you know?

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Because he presents himself so often.

That's easy.

BUMP
04-30-2007, 07:16 PM
He cares immensely about presenting himself.

Because he presents himself so often.

huh?

CubanMustGo
04-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Cuban is your typical new era billionaire. He gives an incredibly small percentage of his wealth to charitable causes and expects to receive maximum return (in terms of media, PR, etc) on that investment.

Flying those troops? Very nice gesture, but it's just that - a gesture. It would be like me putting $5 into a Salvation Army bucket. And since it was a Mavs plane he will probably write those expenses off, too. Nothing wrong with that, but let's be honest about it.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:18 PM
huh?Leave it to a mavfan to not notice.

clambake
04-30-2007, 07:19 PM
He's an attention whore. Just ignore him.

BUMP
04-30-2007, 07:20 PM
He's an attention whore. Just ignore him.
who?

clambake
04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
cuban

Dalhoop
04-30-2007, 07:27 PM
How would you know?

I will answer both questions (The image conscious and How I would I know)

If he was "Image conscious" would he make fun of himself by working for a day at DQ?

Now it could be said that this was a PR move, to move conversation away from his fines (talking bad about officiating) but then he would go and say the same things again. If he was "Image conscious" he would avoid such missteps

If he was "Image conscious" would he go to a road playoff game wearing a shirt that would be certain to receive bad press? I know that most of you think that he is a stupid rich guy that got lucky, but if your trying to say that these things are "calculated" to get attention .. He must in fact be very smart to manipulate the media like this.

If he was "Image conscious" he would allow his charities to make their way into everything that he does. He would have made sure that the national media was at the airport when the plane landed, he would make sure that everyone knew about his "Fallen Hero fund"

But we don't know that much about these things do we .. No. All the nation gets to see are the things that he doesn't care that much about, like what he is wearing and he says after a loss to this team or that.

As to him "presenting" himself so often ... Thats just crazy. Answer this, outside of a basketball arena, how many times has Cuban "presented himself" to the national media?

Think long and hard on this one ... Does he "present himself, or does the media not leave him alone?

If "So often" means that he shows up at Mavs games, then I guess your right, he "presents himself" 82 times a year (Plus playoffs)

As for him giving and expecting a return ... If he was looking for media return ... He sure didn't show it. The Family members told the media, not the Mavs organization. He must not be very good at the whole "Maximum return" idea.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:31 PM
If he was "Image conscious" would he make fun of himself by working for a day at DQ? Absolutely.

You have "image" confused with "serious traditional image." It was an event he created and controlled and he made sure the cameras were there.

Think long and hard on this one ... Does he "present himself, or does the media not leave him alone?You think long and hard about your own question. Think about all the interviews he could have chosen not to do. All the blogs he could have chosen not to write. All the times he could have kept his mouth shut. All the T-shirts with stupid sayings he could have refrained from wearing to games.

clambake
04-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Nobody said he hasn't done good things. It's his over-the-top childish behavoir that draws the wrath.

dg7md
04-30-2007, 07:40 PM
You only defend him because he's on your side. Ask anybody with a non-biased opinion on the issue and you'll get our complaints out of countless others. Think there's a reason that the Mavericks are one of the most hated teams in the league if not the most hated?

ponky
04-30-2007, 07:42 PM
You only defend him because he's on your side. Ask anybody with a non-biased opinion on the issue and you'll get our complaints out of countless others. Think there's a reason that the Mavericks are one of the most hated teams in the league if not the most hated?

You should get out of San Antonio and Texas every once in awhile. Having lived in NYC and attended several NBA games in Philly, NY, Boston, DC, NJ, this is not true at all. Of course, Spurs fans hate the Mavs and vice versa but don't project this onto a national stage as if it applies to the entire country or world.

Louie Vega
04-30-2007, 07:42 PM

Nobody in this forum gives a fuck!!!!! Fuck you and Fuck Cuban!!!

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:43 PM
DHMD doesn't live in San Antonio if he's the doc I'm thinking of.

clambake
04-30-2007, 07:45 PM
He gave mav fans a reason to care about basketball again. Some can't see past that. You have to admit, he has this arrogance of thinking he's the guru of the nba nation and only he knows how to run it.

Fillmoe
04-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Where is Irac? :lol

Melmart1
04-30-2007, 07:51 PM
You should get out of San Antonio and Texas every once in awhile. Having lived in NYC and attended several NBA games in Philly, NY, Boston, DC, NJ, this is not true at all. Of course, Spurs fans hate the Mavs and vice versa but don't project this onto a national stage as if it applies to the entire country or world.
And yet I have been to games in many cities myself and talked with NBA fans on both coasts and everybody thinks he is an embarassment and would hate to have him as the owner of thier respective team.

Probably 90% of NBA fans all over the country I have talked to think he is an asshat. The other 10% didn't care.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 07:54 PM
I think he's a good owner.

And an asshat.

This is just an extension of the usual mavfan line of thought that demands everyone love their team as much as they do. It's ok, Lakerfans used to be this way too.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
http://a.abclocal.go.com/images/wabc/2004/TheBenefactor230x152.jpg
"I don't care about attention."

CubanMustGo
04-30-2007, 08:02 PM
As for him giving and expecting a return ... If he was looking for media return ... He sure didn't show it. The Family members told the media, not the Mavs organization. He must not be very good at the whole "Maximum return" idea.

Nobody ever said (seriously) that Cuban's not smart. There are ways to do things anonymously if you truly want to stay out of the public eye. Cuban chooses to do things in ways that the word will get out. Of course someone is going to notice the Mavs jet being used to ferry a bunch of troops! Of course when he goes to DQ he is going to get all kinds of press coverage! It's all very cold - or, at least, very calculated.

Mark has done incredible things for the Mavericks franchise. But he has done so in a way where HE is always in the forefront. That said, I think he has done a better job this year staying out of the limelight - showing that he can learn from past mistakes. His past behavior has earned the ire of many and it will take some time for many of us to get past that.

Cry Havoc
04-30-2007, 08:03 PM

Wow, a guy with billions and billions of dollars lets someone else use his plane for a couple days, and people want to applaud him for generosity. Last I checked, anything truly noteworthy involves personal sacrifice. But maybe that's just me. :rolleyes

ponky
04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
And yet I have been to games in many cities myself and talked with NBA fans on both coasts and everybody thinks he is an embarassment and would hate to have him as the owner of thier respective team.

Probably 90% of NBA fans all over the country I have talked to think he is an asshat. The other 10% didn't care.

I will agree that a lot of people think he's an embarrassment but that doesn't mean they hate the Mavericks as a team. Lots of people also admit that even though he does stupid shit as a fan of the game, he's a great owner. What's not to like about him as an owner other than the fan part of him? Anyway, most of the games I've attended are all over the NE so whatever, he's from the NE, maybe it's a different state of mind.

exstatic
04-30-2007, 09:19 PM
I think Mark Cuban would have a stroke if he ever heard someone say "Who's Mark Cuban?".

Dalhoop
04-30-2007, 09:40 PM
You have to admit, he has this arrogance of thinking he's the guru of the nba nation and only he knows how to run it.

This is a good critisism.

Of course the problem is that the people running it now put rules in place saying "Your not allowed to tell us we are wrong .... Even if we are" and "Your not allowed to tell us that we need to improve our performance .... Even if we do" ... If you do we will fine you til the cows come home ... Even if your right.

In most businesses, its the costumer that is always right. In the NBA, its the NBA is always right ... Even if it goes against what the customers and employees think is right.

Now if that is the ONLY thing that Cuban thinks is wrong with the league and corrects it by removing that rule ... Then I think that he does know how to run it better then those running it now because that is the STUPIDEST RULE IN ALL OF SPORTS.

I can understand the not debating the offical during the game rules, but if they screwed up the game and EVERYONE ON THE PLANET KNOWS THEY SCREWED UP THE GAME ....

If Duncan had not been ejected, Crawford would still be calling games and challaging players to "meet them outside"

Did Duncan have a real beef? Was he wronged? Did he have a real complaint about Crawford?

Then why was he FINED?

If this was the one thing that Cuban would change .... And we all know he would .... He would run it better and you all know it.

ShoogarBear
04-30-2007, 09:44 PM
He gave mav fans a reason to care about basketball again. Some can't see past that. You have to admit, he has this arrogance of thinking he's the guru of the nba nation and only he knows how to run it.Now if he can only get them to learn about basketball.

Tigole Bitties
05-01-2007, 03:55 AM
http://www.warriorsworld.net/images/stories/nocubannocrynocubannocry.gif

L.I.T
05-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Look at it this way, if you ask an average person who Mark Cuban is they'd probably know who you're talking about. If you ask them who Warren Buffet is they'd probably just stare at you.

It's not that hard to avoid publicity. And just because it appears he isn't creating an image, doesn't mean he isn't trying to (odd logic I know, but think about it).

A no image owner is someone like Paul Allen. All we know is he's rich and trusts stupid people to run his sports franchises. We don't really know if he's a douche bag, a nice man, what he thinks about the Riverwalk, or if he likes to wear paisley girly frocks.

However, with Cuban we get a constant stream of consciousness spewing forth from his blog, from his interviews, etc. etc. Cuban is a very smart man, he's in the business of making his franchise relevant on a national and international stage, he's taken that duty upon himself. And I don't give a fuck about him either way. He's a maverick owner, he's good for the league, he's good for publicity and he knows it. I'd be very careful about selling him short, or underestimating how calculating and conniving he is. Remember, he has a monetary value equal to 21 inches of penis.