PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Punched: Where Is The Outrage?

PM5K
11-22-2004, 04:54 PM
On Sundays game against the Toronto Raptors Rafer Alston punched Tim Duncan and I have not seen any topics discussing the incident here or anywhere else for that matter, including local and national news outlets.

For those that don't already know here is what happened: Alston drives to the basket where he is met by Ginobili who jumps with his arms outstretched, he misses the shot and Duncan gets the rebound, Duncan outlets the pass down court and Alston brings both of his hands down on Duncan, closing at least one of them and punching Ducan with what I would call a "sissy punch" which is a punch where your hand is in a fist but you hit the person with the palm side of your hand, he then pushes Duncan in the same motion. My best guess is that the nearby referee did not notice because he was looking down court. Duncan didn't appear to have any idea why Alston hit him, and Alston was walking in an "I'm a tough guy" manner afterwards.

Here is a video clip of the incident:

Video (http://www.consolestop.com/1.avi)

Marcus Bryant
11-22-2004, 04:56 PM
I remember that bitch move. Duncan looked incredulous when that happened.

timvp
11-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Nice clip. Welcome to the forum.

I think what happened was Alston was trying to foul Duncan before he could outlet the pass because the Spurs had two players wide open. He was a second late and it made it look bad.

Although, by not apologizing to Duncan and staring down the ref, you'd think that the NBA would at least fine him. Duncan has been suspended for less.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-22-2004, 04:59 PM
What a little dick. I think Duncan probably could have gotten away with beating him silly. After all, Canadians like their beer way to much to ever throw it.

FromWayDowntown
11-22-2004, 05:03 PM
I thought it was really curious that THAT officiating crew let Alston do that, since they were the 3 officials who did the Detroit/Indiana game on Friday night - Ron Garretson, Tim Donaghy, and Tommy Nunez, Jr.

PM5K
11-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Nice clip. Welcome to the forum.

I think what happened was Alston was trying to foul Duncan before he could outlet the pass because the Spurs had two players wide open. He was a second late and it made it look bad.

Although, by not apologizing to Duncan and staring down the ref, you'd think that the NBA would at least fine him. Duncan has been suspended for less.

Thanks for the insight. I had looked at the previous five or so posessions to see if Duncan had done anything that would have caused Alston to respond that way and I could not find anything. Also having looked at the clip you cannot exactly see where the Spurs are but you can see every Raptor in close vacinity to Duncan so it's likely there were some open Spurs, which explains the outlet pass.

Having said that my understanding is that a punch is an automatic one game suspension, closing your hand and hitting another player in my opinion is a punch, regardless of how you hit someone, in this case with the palm side of the fist rather than the front side of the fist.

Also the additional push and way he walked away from Duncan, and how he walked back torwards him makes it seem as if he was looking for a reason to foul Duncan so he could foul him hard.

EDIT: And yes you are right Duncan has gotten suspended for far less, the reason being was a very strict interpretation of rules, my opinion is that a strict interpretation of the rules would result in a one game suspension of Alston, but it seems nobody knows about or is talking about this...

boutons
11-22-2004, 05:12 PM
timvp, I don't buy your "intentional foul". This is just another no-class balla trying to up his street cred with a dickless cheapshot, trying to cover his embarrassment from Manu shutting him down.

hey, PM5K. video cards with s-video input and record to disk are awfully cheap these days. have a look at the Hauppage stuff. no need to record the CRT, the moire patterns will make you go blind. :))

and, thanks for the vid.

Is there anyway if Pop/Tim wanted to have the League review the film for missed flagrant foul? Make the little bitch pay.

PM5K
11-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I actually have two laptops so I would need to get something that works via USB, however I don't do enough video capture to make the cost worth it.

I'd hate to spend 75.00 when I can just use my digital cameras movie mode, but of course the quality would have been better with a capture card.

And I actually thought it was the scanlines that made it look bad....

GoSpurs21
11-22-2004, 05:18 PM
I saw that too

we should have sent Tony M to give the little punk a nice hard knock you on your ass foul

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Hey, now Duncan knows that you don't fuck with "Skip To My Lou".

"And1, bitch!"

SequSpur
11-22-2004, 06:30 PM
He should've went into the stands.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2004, 06:33 PM
He should've went into the stands.

Did that post really need to be posted in this thread?

Johnny_Blaze_47
Did that post really need to be posted in this thread?

Blow me, Blaze.

Johnny_Blaze_47
Blow me, Blaze.

Hedo!

SequSpur
11-22-2004, 06:36 PM
:lmao

You're a tard bro... a frickin tard....

:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2004, 06:37 PM
:lmao

You're a tard bro... a frickin tard....

:lol

Make the next GTG, homey! :smokin

SequSpur
11-22-2004, 06:38 PM
I'll try to. It must fit with the significant others schedules.

Late.

Kori Ellis
11-22-2004, 07:34 PM
I wonder if the Spurs are having the league look at the tape.

PM5K
11-23-2004, 12:43 PM
I wonder if the Spurs are having the league look at the tape.

That was the biggest reason I posted this. After not hearing anything on any local or national news organizations, and not hearing anything from the NBA I wanted to get a discussion going and hopefully someone with better connections that I have *cough* can get something going.

Maybe someone can contact one of the news stations, or one of the sports anchors, or the NBA, or even the Spurs.

I am confident that if the NBA is aware of the situation and reviews the tape that Alston will get at minimum a fine and possibly a one game suspension, which I think is appropriate...

Pop OFits
11-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Don Harris said on his WOAI TV sportscast (I think it was Monday night) that the Spurs had sent the tape to the NBA for review of that play.

boutons
11-23-2004, 01:02 PM
"Spurs had sent the tape"

So cool, suspend the little bastard, he's same ilk as artest/jasckson/wallace/oneal/jhoward/eddiejones/etc.

Dex
11-23-2004, 01:03 PM
To me, it looks like he was making a play on the ball. Watch the tape close.

He was going to swipe the ball out of Tim's hands as he brought it over his head for the outlet pass. His swing flies a little low and was just a second late, thus it runs into Tim instead. He was either unable to, or neglected to, redirect his body motion.

Granted, he doesn't help diffuse the situation at all by walking away like he's some sort of hardcore gangster, but it looks like he was just hustling away from the situation to avoid the T. A simple 'sorry' could've gone a long way, but no one really expects these things from someone like Rafer Alston.

Pop OFits
11-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Just a second late? What did he have his eyes closed or something?

I think Rafer was going through transferal of emotions. He was frustrated or mad at Manu for being in his way on the shot and he transferred his feelings to Tim, the only one left in the area, well after the ball was out of Tim's hands.

Dex
11-23-2004, 01:14 PM
No way. Broken down frame by frame, I give it a quarter of a second, tops. Not nearly enough time for someone to make the realization the ball is already gone, and stop that swipe that is already in motion.

He made a fevered swipe at the ball, and hit Tim instead. I'm not saying it was completely justifiable, but I also don't think it was his intention to go up and deck Timmy.

boutons
11-23-2004, 01:31 PM
"looks like he was making a play on the ball"

... not a good week for giving any NBA player the benefit of the doubt. His punkass attitude is what turns people off, as well.

This balla is supposed to be "athletic" blah blah, so he was not out of control. He fncks with our players, he gets fncked.

Last night, what a relief to see Utah's ceremonry retiring Stockton's jersey. He is a credit to the game. Even Malone had the balls to show up (given how he left) in a redneck costume and was very gracious.

The Alstons are the problem with NBA. Send his punkass back to the asphalt courts. The NBA and the game would be better off.

PM5K
11-23-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry Dex but you are totally wrong. He wasn't making a play on the ball, you don't make a closed fist to make a play on the ball and you don't push the guy afterwards, and you really don't walk away from him like you think you are some tough guy...

Phenomanul
11-23-2004, 06:18 PM
You got to admit though... Tim's surprised body language after the foul is a bit hilarious... in his disbelief no less... :lol

but :pctoss Rafer Alston... and to think I wanted him in SA...

ALVAREZ6
11-23-2004, 06:39 PM
wow, Rafer should go smoke his reefer, he deserved a technical / flagrant or somethin...
That wasn't cool...
Duncan should have beat his silly @$$, but he made the right decision and help his team by not getting banned by the league..

If rafer did that to Big Ben, wallace would slaughter his ass back there and the refs wouldn't see it lol..

Kori Ellis
11-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Pop said on the Pop Show today that he didn't even know about it. He said Tim never mentioned it and that the coaching staff didn't see it at all in the game tape.

PM5K
11-23-2004, 07:03 PM
I guess that's the kind of guy Tim is, he isn't going to go crying to Pop about it, and I suspect nobody noticed because they were looking down court as were the refs and just about everyone else.

I guess the question now is: Was the earlier report that the Spurs had submitted the tape to the NBA for review incorrect, or is Pop saying he didn't initially know about it but found out later and then submitted the tape. Also how was the question posed to Pop about the situation and did he say anything else?

You can see it in the game tape but assuming they watch some basic film and not the actual telecast then they would have only seen it as it was originally shown, which is also hard to see because the camera quickly pans to the left on the down court action, but you can see it if you are looking for it, and of course you can see it on the replay on the telecast.

slayermin
11-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Kinda of a rough road trip for Tim. He got elbowed and pushed by Pierce. Alston shoves him in the back. And I believe Bonzi Wells fouled him pretty hard last night too.

I don't know how Tim keeps his calm. If he does lose his, temper I hope it's against KG. Tim needs to put that a-hole in his place. KG has been acting like it's his league this season.

I guarantee KG is gonna try to bait Tim into something, when they play.

Kori Ellis
11-23-2004, 07:48 PM
I guess the question now is: Was the earlier report that the Spurs had submitted the tape to the NBA for review incorrect, or is Pop saying he didn't initially know about it but found out later and then submitted the tape. Also how was the question posed to Pop about the situation and did he say anything else?

Pop knew nothing about it at all. So the earlier report was incorrect. I'll post the audio of the Pop Show later so that you can hear the details.

Kori Ellis
11-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Here's the audio

http://cctvimedia.clearchannel.com/woai/audio/pop1.mp3

conversekid
11-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Pop said on the Pop Show today that he didn't even know about it. He said Tim never mentioned it and that the coaching staff didn't see it at all in the game tape.

To quote many a famous texans, "Hawgwash". Pop was playing dumb. There's no way one of his players gets punched and he doesn't know about it.

TwoHandJam
11-23-2004, 10:26 PM
I was at the game and I saw that punk-ass move. He definitely just shoved Tim out of frustration and should have been at least fined.

conversekid
11-23-2004, 11:21 PM
it was not a shove, it was a punch.. the replay clearly shows a closed right fist raised up and brought down in a swinging motion... kind of like a hammer, while his left hand pushed him at the same time.

boutons
11-24-2004, 12:35 AM
Maybe be there was a punchiness about the initial contact, but the little punkass bitch followed through with his arms and shoulders to make it full-fledged shove.

fonzy16
11-24-2004, 05:33 AM
he might wanted to punch him first out of frustration, but somewhere in the middle changed his mind (cooled down or. saw who he is messing with) and transfered the punch in a sissy push. .

PM5K
11-24-2004, 11:47 AM
I have to disagree, if anything it appears that initially he might have wanted to make a play on the ball and then decided to punch Duncan. Initially his hand was open and as he brought it down he closed it.

With all that has gone on in the NBA recently I think it becomes all the more important to fine and or suspend these players who take cheap shots at other players, especially when the other players have the right mind not to put both their careers and the success of their teams on the line by retaliating to these cheap shots.

The player didn't respond to the situation as I am sure the NBA would prefer, now it is time for the NBA to step in and take care of things

It's not hard to find the play, it's the last defensive play for the Spurs before the end of the first half....

violentkitten
11-24-2004, 11:49 AM
im outraged lets go fuck some people up