PDA

View Full Version : Off-Topic/Minor MMA News and Notes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

ATRAIN
07-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Should we make an Elite XC card thread? Ill leave it for Leonard or Evan :).

djohn14
07-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Somebody will make one soon...

djohn14
07-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Not sure if it is pre-recorded.

ATRAIN
07-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Not sure if it is pre-recorded.

http://ev6.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=AS&linkID=ifg-stt&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode

its states the event is at 3, so Im thinking it is pre-recorded. Hopefully this even t goes better than the last because I would hate to be disapointed like I was last time. The Return of the King Card was pretty good so im still giving E XC a chance.

Evan
07-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Should we make an Elite XC card thread? Ill leave it for Leonard or Evan :).

you handle this one, padawan.

ATRAIN
07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
you handle this one, padawan.

LOL am I allowed to be a padawan at 29? It is done Obi-wan!!

djohn14
07-22-2008, 10:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aag4LYmON7U

Just a little board so I thought Id show a video of everyones favorite move...the flying knee

Evan
07-22-2008, 11:05 PM
LOL am I allowed to be a padawan at 29? It is done Obi-wan!!

I too was old when I started.

djohn14
07-23-2008, 04:18 PM
The UFC mad a few nice moves...Im excited..Oh...and I told you the day would come Evan! Haha thanks again for the info.

International Fight League reigning middleweight champion Dan Miller (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and IFL lightweight Jim Miller (11-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) have both signed multi-fight deals with the UFC.

The AMA Fight Club's Mike Constantino, the manager and one of the trainers for the fighters and brothers, today confirmed the signings with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Both of the fighters signed four-fight exclusive contracts, though financial terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Constantino declined to comment on the particulars of the negotiation process, and he had no comment on the UFC's rumored purchase of the IFL.

Constantino said no definitive dates have been determined for the Miller brothers' UFC debuts, but he said they will be available any time the UFC needs them.

"If they told us to fight in two weeks, we'd be ready," Constantino said. "We'll fight as soon as possible. The guys are always in shape and in the gym all the time helping their teammates. We have about 20 guys at the gym who fight in pro organizations, so someone always has a fight coming up, and Dan and Jim are always there helping them out."

Dan Miller, 27, recently won the IFL middleweight title with a first-round submission victory over Ryan McGivern. It was just his second fight in the IFL; he debuted in August 2007 with a submission win over Dave Phillips.

He is also the middleweight champion for Cage Fury Fighting, where he fought before signing with the IFL. The former high school wrestler has scored five of his eight career victories via submission.

Jim Miller, 24, has also had success in the IFL, where he defeated stand-out Bart Palaszewski via unanimous decision in his lone IFL appearance. Prior to that April fight, he fought throughout the Northeast and held titles in a variety of organizations, including Cage Fury Fighting Championships and the Reality Fighting promotion.

The former Virginia Tech wrestler has earned submission victories in all but his first pro win. His lone loss was to UFC lightweight Frankie Edgar in November 2006.

djohn14
07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Dan Miller sickest choke ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCs_aBqKLEc

LEONARD
07-23-2008, 05:46 PM
I still don't know how that was physically possible...without the other guy's neck snapping!!

That was probably the only time where I actually turned my head during a fight...

djohn14
07-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I still don't know how that was physically possible...without the other guy's neck snapping!!

That was probably the only time where I actually turned my head during a fight...

I know...simply sick.

Evan
07-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh the IFL...

Why o Why did you waste a 150million dollars showing pre-recorded fights....

djohn14
07-23-2008, 06:28 PM
IFL is the Idiotic Funding League

Evan
07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
It’s a key bout for St-Pierre, whose contract with the UFC has two more fights left to run. He’s in negotiations for a new deal.

“Before it expires, they’ll want to negotiate because they won’t want me to be a free agent, let the Japanese get their hands on me,” St-Pierre said.

“It’s just another fight that’s being fought outside the octagon, but it’s very interesting.”

St-Pierre said he’s been able to make a living from mixed martial arts since he signed his first contract with the UFC. But three years ago, it wasn’t nearly as popular as it is now; St-Pierre said the purses have at least tripled every year.

“For me, it will be more than that. And these fights will be a determining factor not only for my career, but my lifestyle,” he said. “I want to use it to clear all the debts, the house, take some weight off my shoulders.

“You never know what will happen in life. I might get hit by a car tomorrow,” he said. “It’s important to put some money aside, and I’ve made investments. I won’t make the mistakes that many have made.”

ATRAIN
07-24-2008, 11:55 AM
It’s a key bout for St-Pierre, whose contract with the UFC has two more fights left to run. He’s in negotiations for a new deal.

“Before it expires, they’ll want to negotiate because they won’t want me to be a free agent, let the Japanese get their hands on me,” St-Pierre said.

“It’s just another fight that’s being fought outside the octagon, but it’s very interesting.”

St-Pierre said he’s been able to make a living from mixed martial arts since he signed his first contract with the UFC. But three years ago, it wasn’t nearly as popular as it is now; St-Pierre said the purses have at least tripled every year.

“For me, it will be more than that. And these fights will be a determining factor not only for my career, but my lifestyle,” he said. “I want to use it to clear all the debts, the house, take some weight off my shoulders.

“You never know what will happen in life. I might get hit by a car tomorrow,” he said. “It’s important to put some money aside, and I’ve made investments. I won’t make the mistakes that many have made.”

Smart down to earth guy, I really like St-Pierre.

Evan
07-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Smart down to earth guy, I really like St-Pierre.

The UFC needs to triple his salary. End of story.

djohn14
07-25-2008, 09:17 AM
The long speculated moratorium of the International Fight League now has a date. According to IFL senior vice president of communications Joe Favorito, the team-based MMA promotion will turn out the lights July 31 as its assets are sold to a yet-to-be-named buyer, confirmed today by several anonymous sources as the UFC ownership group Zuffa LLC.

“As of July 31 my role at the IFL will be no more as the company goes into its final stage of being sold and/or closed down,” Favorito stated via email.

This would make a lot of sense seeing as how the UFC has signed a handful of the IFL’s more talented fighters in recent weeks such as Rory Markham, Brad Blackburn, Jim and Dan Miller, and Andre Gusmao. I’m sure we can expect to see even more IFL talent roll into the UFC now. Guys like Jay Hieron, Chris Horodecki, and Wagnney Fabiano, to name a few, are all people that fans would love to see in the UFC. It also makes sense because on Monday, the IFL’s stock skyrocketed. They also showed a lot of IFL footage during the UFC Fight Night 14 show as well as the UFC Countdown: Silva vs. Irvin buildup show.

It’s a sad day for the IFL, but we all knew the end was drawing nearer day by day. They put on a good product, but came out of the gates all wrong and by the time they realized that drastic changes needed to be made it was too little, too late. They tried to treat the sport like a sport and not a spectacle and that’s to be commended. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work, at least not yet. One thing I can say, however, is that I won’t lose sleep over never being able to see the hexagon shaped ring in action.

cornbread
07-25-2008, 09:22 PM
When the IFL deal is done, UFC should give this guy a look.
Brazilian Top Team
Mario Sperry & Murillo Bustamante blackbelt
Greco Roman, Freestyle, sub-grappling, and bjj champ in Brazil

He has that top-side, heavy pressure, aggressive grappling game that translates to some mean mma.
RL1Bz2vivJw

Evan
07-25-2008, 09:43 PM
ONE of the biggest insiders on MMA forums, Bobsappfan, (who leaked PRIDE beings sold and CroCop to the UFC amongst other things) said Randy is done fighting and has given up.

This guy has yet to be wrong about anything that I can remember that was significant.

LEONARD
07-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Where'd he post it Evan? I couldn't find anything on the UG...

Evan
07-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Where'd he post it Evan? I couldn't find anything on the UG...

For some reason he actually posted this one on sherdog.

"couture is done" title

djohn14
07-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Ill kick his ass...Ill kick is ass..stupid bob sapp head...ill kick his ass

djohn14
07-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Mirko Cro Cop has reported he is training and might fight Alistair Overeem soon!

Evan
07-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Mirko Cro Cop has reported he is training and might fight Alistair Overeem soon!

when it comes to cro cop

believe nothing

sadly

djohn14
07-27-2008, 08:13 PM
The following is a quote from Patrick Cote

‘‘I’m telling all my friends to bet on me,’’ Cote said, ‘‘because they’re going to make a lot of money.’’

‘‘This guy will need 10 punches to my face to knock me out, and I’ll just need one,’’ Cote said. ‘‘I have a good chance. He won’t exchange with me, and I’m not scared of him.

‘‘He wins a lot of his fights before they start because his opponents are intimidated and scared of him. I’m not scared of anyone in my weight class, especially him.’’

Correct me if Im wrong, but I really thought James Irvin said something similar to this. It sounds like someone is about to be taught the meaning of respect!

Evan
07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
The following is a quote from Patrick Cote

‘‘I’m telling all my friends to bet on me,’’ Cote said, ‘‘because they’re going to make a lot of money.’’

‘‘This guy will need 10 punches to my face to knock me out, and I’ll just need one,’’ Cote said. ‘‘I have a good chance. He won’t exchange with me, and I’m not scared of him.

‘‘He wins a lot of his fights before they start because his opponents are intimidated and scared of him. I’m not scared of anyone in my weight class, especially him.’’

Correct me if Im wrong, but I really thought James Irvin said something similar to this. It sounds like someone is about to be taught the meaning of respect!

yup

I believe his was "30 to my 10"

hah

Evan
07-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Current pic of Pauho Filho

Looks very healthy

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/14751/1217188556.g_medium.jpg

I couldn't find any old good ones but there was a few pics of him where he looked like shit about a month before he pulled out of his last fight and went to rehab. Puffy...bags under eyes...pale and distant look to his face.

I wonder what he was on.

Good for him getting it together.

djohn14
07-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Current pic of Pauho Filho

Looks very healthy

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/14751/1217188556.g_medium.jpg

I couldn't find any old good ones but there was a few pics of him where he looked like shit about a month before he pulled out of his last fight and went to rehab. Puffy...bags under eyes...pale and distant look to his face.

I wonder what he was on.

Good for him getting it together.
Hmm...not sure what he was on, but Im happy everything is ok and I hope he comes back better than ever and beats Sonnen!

Evan
07-27-2008, 09:07 PM
For anyone that doesn't know, Pauho Filho is the feller in plaid.

LEONARD
07-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Filho always wears plaid...

and Cote is STONED!! :lol

dallaskd
07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
For anyone that doesn't know, Pauho Filho is the feller in plaid.

:lol he looks like a gaucho everytime he enters the ring, not sure whats with his fashion sense, but............. Sonnen didnt tap! should be exciting to see again.

Evan
07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
so gay looking.......

http://www.cagetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/paulo-filho.jpg

djohn14
07-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Ricardo Arona finally comes out of hiding........

Ricardo Arona recently sat down with Sherdog.com and spoke on numerous topics such as his 16 month layoff from MMA, possibly signing with the UFC, and more:

On why he has taken over a year off from MMA:

"It's already been a year since I fought, but that was by choice. Actually, I had invitations to fight in Canada, Japan and the USA, but I chose not to fight. I've been competing in jiu-jitsu, submissions and MMA since I was 15 years old. I decided to stop and watch from the outside, in order to be able to see everything that happens inside fighting. I had to find myself. It's my aim to fight once or twice by the end of the year, but the most important thing is to come back well prepared, to come back different from what I was. I want to be a much more dynamic fighter in the next phase of my career. My desire to fight is still great. I'm watching everybody fight, observing what's changed and what hasn't. This time off has been as important to me as training; it's part of my training."

On whether he prefers to fight in Japan, or the United States:

"Actually, I'm connected personally to Japan. There is a lot of respect for the fights and fighters there. I have a great link to Japan, because I've spent years fighting there. I have fans, and I'm accustomed to that scene. In America, the crowd's nosier, more agitated and wants to be entertained. For them, sometimes it's not important that an American wins. They want to watch a great fight, and we have to adapt ourselves to that. I like the Japanese people a lot, and I would like to fight in Japan again, but if America is dominating the market, I want to be there. I've already fought against almost all of the top fighters. I want very much to be part of this new market. I'm waiting on a good contract to make my comeback. I'm doing my part to be well prepared, and I'll be back to dominate the scene. "

On why he said the UFC rules were "made for him":

"When I arrived at Carlson Gracie's gym at 16 years old, I already wanted to fight in MMA, and one of my specialties was taking my opponent down, striking him and hurting him from that position. This was cut from MMA when I went to fight in Japan. In the UFC, you can use the cage, which is perfect for me, because once you have your opponent in the corner, there's no escape; it's excellent to use to get the takedown. Once on the ground, it's perfect for striking; it's fatal. With those rules, I guess the referee will have to stop a lot of my fights quickly, because my great strong point is striking from above, from any position. The third factor I see is that anyone in the ring who gets tired in five minutes is in the wrong place. I'm accustomed to fighting one 10-minute round and two five-minute rounds. In the UFC, it's three five-minute rounds, which is like child's play for me. I'm flying in and out with that time. I wouldn't even stop to wipe my forehead. The UFC rules were made for me -- no doubt about it."

On which promotion he would like to fight for:

"I think the promotion would have to be the UFC, because it offers the best proposals and the best fighters, and it's the best event and the best show. The best opponent for me is whoever has the belt, but I don't think there's any way to come back and fight right away for the belt."

On if he would like to face Wanderlei Silva again (they are currently 1-1 against each other):

"My relationship with him has already been settled. If there's still a problem between us, it's in his head, because from my side, everything has been settled. It would be a great fight, but in time. I've stopped thinking about what would be the best fight, who would be the best fighter. I have to be prepared to face any of them. When I come back, I want to win, against him or anyone else. "

dallaskd
07-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Irvin tests positive for banned substances...

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6790&zoneid=2

dallaskd
07-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Looks like that will be the shoe that will boot out Irvin.

djohn14
07-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Sad, but hes gonna need some more of that to make his face not hurt.

dallaskd
07-29-2008, 04:42 PM
lol, that was a pretty nasty cut for one punch

LEONARD
07-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Eh...at least it wasn't roids...

djohn14
07-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Spike TV issued a press release Tuesday afternoon announcing that its re-airing of UFC 84 this past Saturday drew more viewers than CBS and EliteXC’s “Saturday Night Fights” in the key demographic of males 18-34.

According to the release, UFC 84 outdrew “Saturday Night Fights” in the male 18-34 demo by 27% with Spike totaling 433,00 men compared to CBS’ 341,000.

Spike is also touting the fact that compared to last Saturday’s live broadcast of UFC Fight Night 14 featuring Anderson Silva, the UFC outdrew EliteXC by 165% in the male 18-34 demographic and by 21% in total viewership.

The press release took a very surreal turn, with Spike comparing the drop in EliteXC’s second CBS show from the first show to the XFL on NBC. The release even went so far as to say the first CBS show featured “the ‘He Hate Me’ of MMA, Kimbo Slice.”

I say that the prose is surreal because while Spike TV and CBS are operated by different subsidiaries that trade under different ticker symbols on the New York Stock Exchange, they still belong to the same parent company.

Five Ounces of Pain has received many ratings bulletins over the past year and a half and we’ve never seen one written in such a contentious manner. It’s obvious that the UFC has a strong and loyal partner in Spike and that they aren’t taking competition lightly.

But the numbers don’t lie and while “Saturday Night Fights” showed improvement across the board when it comes to production and matchmaking, the ratings weren’t strong. Granted, nobody was expecting the second show to match the first show, but being beaten by a basic cable channel in a key demo during an airing of a taped MMA broadcast where the results are readily available is not good.

The lesson here is one we already knew: casual viewers want to see stars. It doesn’t matter how good your fight card is, the masses want recognizable names. Robbie Lawler, Scott Smith, Jake Shields, and Nick Diaz all have a strong following that no doubt increased following the exposure they received this past Saturday. But are they stars? Maybe they will be one day but building new stars takes time.

People can say whatever they want about Kimbo Slice, but he has the aura of a star. Even people that had no idea who he was identified him as a star because of his look and because of his unique back story. And Gina Carano may have trouble making weight but she also has the “it” factor.

With Kimbo and Carano set to return on Oct. 4 in Miami, I see the show being a ratings success. However, there is a major issue of what to do when CBS wants a show and Kimbo and Gina aren’t available that has to be addressed.

If CBS wants a fourth show in a time frame in which Kimbo and Gina won’t be ready, then Frank Shamrock has to be the headliner. As great as he’s done as an announcer, he still has plenty of box office potential and knows how to promote and market his fights. Hypothetically speaking, if CBS wants to do a show in Dec., they should look into a main event of Shamrock vs. Robbie Lawler for the EliteXC middleweight title.

EliteXC should also make it a priority to get Eddie Alvarez out there. Alvarez has star potential thanks to an exciting fighting style. He also has credibility with the hardcores following his strong run during DREAM’s lightweight Grand Prix.

djohn14
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
http://www.ign.com/scorpionking/

Randy Couture's new movie

Evan
07-31-2008, 12:44 PM
I got that added to my netflix queue. Looks so bad.

LEONARD
08-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Anderson Silva's pro boxing debut from 2005
http://www.mmascraps.com/2008/08/anderson-silva-vs-julio-cesar-video.html

djohn14
08-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Anderson Silva's pro boxing debut from 2005
http://www.mmascraps.com/2008/08/anderson-silva-vs-julio-cesar-video.html

Anderson Silva dominates at everything. Im sure if he wanted to he could be a wide receiver! Well, I certainly wouldnt tell him no.

djohn14
08-02-2008, 03:12 PM
MMAJunkie.com is reporting that Gina Carano (6-0) will be facing Kelly Kobald-Gavin (16-2-1) at EliteXC's next CBS special scheduled for October 4. It had been rumored that Carano would face Cristiane Cyborg at the event, however that won't be the case. Kobald-Gavin last competed for BodogFIGHTs in August of 2006 where she suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Julie Kedzie.

LEONARD
08-02-2008, 03:33 PM
LOL...not surprised at all...putting her up against a chick that lost to a chick that she pummeled...

Kimbo won't fight Rogers either (my guess)...not going to risk him or Gina until it's a PPV...

Evan
08-02-2008, 03:34 PM
MMAJunkie.com is reporting that Gina Carano (6-0) will be facing Kelly Kobald-Gavin (16-2-1) at EliteXC's next CBS special scheduled for October 4. It had been rumored that Carano would face Cristiane Cyborg at the event, however that won't be the case. Kobald-Gavin last competed for BodogFIGHTs in August of 2006 where she suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Julie Kedzie.

Yeah I mean why give everyone a fight everyone wants to see, that would be stupid...good job EXC.

djohn14
08-03-2008, 03:13 PM
ProElite, Inc., the parent company of EliteXC and many of the world’s top regional promotions, on Thursday announced a new broadcast deal with FSN.

Beginning in mid-September, four one-hour specials will air on FSN on Sundays (9 p.m. local time), and they’ll feature classic bouts from the organization’s growing library.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported the possibility of the deal this past week.

The specials will feature fights from EliteXC, as well as ProElite’s other organizations. The entertainment company’s 2007 shopping spree netted promotions such as ICON Sport, Cage Rage, King of the Cage, SpiritMC and others—and ProElite and FSN promise “vintage” bouts with current stars such as Anderson Silva and Urijah Faber (who now compete under the Zuffa LLC brands). EliteXC notables Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson, Gina Carano, Nick Diaz and others will also be featured.

The ProElite-FSN deal could be extended if the initial four episodes pull decent ratings.

EliteXC has current broadcast deals with Showtime and CBS—and the organization could head to pay per view within the next year.

“Our mission from day one with ProElite and EliteXC has been to showcase the incredible talent and excitement of our fighters and illustrate that the appetite of the growing legions of MMA fans can’t be satisfied by merely a single organization,” ProElite’s Doug DeLuca stated in a press release. “FSN has a well-known history of success with MMA, and this partnership is another important step in developing an even stronger fan base for the exciting brand of MMA that ProElite delivers through EliteXC and our other organizations like King of the Cage, Cage Rage, Icon Sport, SpiritMC and Rumble on the Rock.”

Jay Glazer and Frank Trigg will host the specials.

FSN (formerly known as FOX Sports Net) has been gradually increasing its MMA presence. Last month the collection of cable TV regional sports networks aired a one-hour undercard of “Affliction: Banned,” and the IFL, PRIDE, Art of War and even the UFC have been broadcast in the past.

Evan
08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
^This makes no sense.

djohn14
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
^This makes no sense.

I know lol!

ATRAIN
08-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Anyone see the Special on ESPN Outside the Lines on MMA for Kids? Pretty valid points on both sides of the coin.

LEONARD
08-04-2008, 05:22 PM
I thought it was pretty lame and biased for the most part...AND they blind-sided / blatantly lied to Drake Dudley and his dad about the intent of the segment. Here it is for those that missed it...
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3496709&categoryId=2881270

Listen to this radio interview with Drake Dudley and his dad for more insight...
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&forum=1&thread=1313396&page=6

And here is a thread by Drake's dad on the UG...
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum_framed.posts&forum=1&thread=1313396

dallaskd
08-05-2008, 12:30 AM
^I really don't have an opinion on this. I wish i had got into MMA when i was young. It just wasnt popular at all when i was a kid. I had never heard of it. I say leave it up to the kids. If they like it, let them.

Evan
08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Roy Nelson is joining affliction….thank God…would have been embarrassing to see him on a UFC card.

Evan
08-05-2008, 09:14 AM
^I really don't have an opinion on this. I wish i had got into MMA when i was young. It just wasnt popular at all when i was a kid. I had never heard of it. I say leave it up to the kids. If they like it, let them.

That’s a lot of hyper extended joins and tendons to deal with as a kid. That’s my only problem.

oligarchy
08-05-2008, 09:49 AM
That’s a lot of hyper extended joins and tendons to deal with as a kid. That’s my only problem.

Kids train in individual martial arts for last, oh, 80 years (or more for some martial arts):
Boxing
Jiu-Jitsu
Wrestling
Judo

I trained Judo for 8 years when I was younger -- I don't see a problem with it at all. It's nothing new that these kids are doing, it's just more popular. When I took classes there was 3 maybe 4 other kids. People want to believe it's some big deal now because it's becoming popular to train "MMA."

djohn14
08-05-2008, 10:10 AM
I dont have a problem with kids MMA. For one, it MIGHT keep troubled children off the street. If they know they have something to do and a possible way to live they will try harder not to screw up their lives. If kids want to do it I have no problem. I dont like the fact that kids will be getting bruised up at a young age and getting hurt bad, but its their choice. I'll admit I tried my hand at Jiu-Jitsu, but that didnt work in the least. I got my ass handed to me in my first and last MMA fight. No it wasnt professional obviously...just a small town, redneck event...I did that at 19...point is I learned my leason and I stopped before I got hurt bad. Kids can always stop if they want to.

Evan
08-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Kids train in individual martial arts for last, oh, 80 years (or more for some martial arts):
Boxing
Jiu-Jitsu
Wrestling
Judo

I trained Judo for 8 years when I was younger -- I don't see a problem with it at all. It's nothing new that these kids are doing, it's just more popular. When I took classes there was 3 maybe 4 other kids. People want to believe it's some big deal now because it's becoming popular to train "MMA."

I know this…but were it my kids it would still be a concern. Anytime your kid does a sport there is a concern and that would be mine.

desflood
08-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Reigning UFC heavyweight champion and MMA legend Randy Couture will be featured in an hour-long documentary on the Biography channel.

"Biography: Randy Couture" debuts tomorrow at 10 p.m. ET on the Biography Channel.

The TV series "Biography," which debuted in 1962 on CBS, re-launched in 1987 on the A&E Network and has featured some of the biggest names in entertainment, sports, politics, business and pop culture. New episodes of the hour-long episodes now air exclusively on the Biography Channel.

The biography covers Couture's earliest years to his most recent UFC title defense. From his high school wrestling days to his failed bid to make the Olympics to finding MMA, the documentary covers all aspects of his life. Additionally, numerous family members and industry insiders were interviewed for the piece.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) received an advance copy of the show earlier this year, and we can personally vouch that the documentary is fresh and offers details of Couture's life that have rarely been discussed. His father leaving him at an early age, why his mother threw him and his siblings into sports, the first time he saw MMA (with a familiar face in Don Frye), his legendary trilogy of fights with Chuck Liddell, meeting his new wife Kim, and his return to MMA to fight Tim Sylvia -- it's all included.

As the network says:

He's the five-time champ of America's fastest growing sport. His fights sell out arenas and millions of fans in 36 countries worldwide tune in to telecasts weekly and pay top dollar for exclusive pay-per-view events. He's Randy Couture: the Ultimate Fighting Champion. The simple title belies the near inhuman strength it has taken to kick, choke and claw his way to the top of professional fighting. From early days on his high school wrestling team to the Army and Olympics, this Washington native has built a career on years of training--perfecting his signature style referred to as the "ground and pound." Losses on and off the mat take their toll, but also drive Couture to cement his title as "the best fighter of all time."

However, there's a small notice we should give the hardcore fans. The UFC pulled all of its photos and fight footage -- and an interview with Dana White -- from the episode, so a lot of the "B-roll" is of IFL, EliteXC and Art of War events. To an astute fan, it's a bit of a distraction (especially when stock IFL footage is used while describing the early years of the UFC), but it doesn't completely sour the viewing experience.

Despite your thoughts on Couture in light of his latest legal battles with the UFC, his "Biography" is a worthwhile watch for just about any MMA fan. If nothing else, it should change opinions about MMA and expose some new audiences to the sport -- with one of its best-known ambassadors.

Evan
08-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Too soon for that bio. 1 year from now we may have the whole story.

dallaskd
08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
^agreed. have to check it out though. Should be interesting.

and wow 61 pages on this thread!

LEONARD
08-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Looks like Tito will get big bucks from Affliction
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/arash_markazi/08/05/ortiz.signs.with.affliction/index.html?eref=T1

dallaskd
08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
So he's going to be the highest paid fighter in MMA history and then he says...

"I might even go up to heavyweight if the bigger pay days are there."

That's all tito really cares about anymore and kicking people's asses who talk smack. ehh i bet Affliction won't hit over 5 cards anyway.

Evan
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Looks like Tito will get big bucks from Affliction
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/arash_markazi/08/05/ortiz.signs.with.affliction/index.html?eref=T1

I am sure Donald is covering most of his initial contract fees. So that's where it is coming from.

Everything Donald is going to do is probably riding on this card.

But if they're willing to fork over 800k for Tim, Tito must be getting something like 1.5.

Amazing...he thinks he will get them 500,000k PPV buys

Good luck with all that.

djohn14
08-05-2008, 09:44 PM
:soapbox:The California State Athletic Commission's Bill Douglas recently appeared on the Figure Four Daily radio show and mentioned that it's highly unlikely that Aleksander Emelianenko will ever fight in the state of California or for that matter the United States:

"The one thing that I can absolutely say is that he (Aleksander) was not and will not be cleared to fight in California. He is officially licensed denied and that will stand for all of the United States of America".

No reason was given as to why his license was denied, however rumors were circulating that Emelianenko had tested positive for Hepatitis B. Due to the health and privacy rules in the state of California, Douglas was not allowed to confirm or deny these rumors.

Credit: MMANews.com

Evan
08-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Damn....that about seals it.

In the modern era of garbage HW's he was good enough to be most everybody. I always wanted to see him fight Vera.

desflood
08-06-2008, 08:25 AM
:soapbox:The California State Athletic Commission's Bill Douglas recently appeared on the Figure Four Daily radio show and mentioned that it's highly unlikely that Aleksander Emelianenko will ever fight in the state of California or for that matter the United States:

"The one thing that I can absolutely say is that he (Aleksander) was not and will not be cleared to fight in California. He is officially licensed denied and that will stand for all of the United States of America".

No reason was given as to why his license was denied, however rumors were circulating that Emelianenko had tested positive for Hepatitis B. Due to the health and privacy rules in the state of California, Douglas was not allowed to confirm or deny these rumors.

Credit: MMANews.com
Ohhhh... that puts a damper on my day before it even begins.

desflood
08-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Oh, my Lord - I just heard on the radio that Jenna Jameson is pregnant. Can you imagine pushing Tito's giant-headed baby out?

Evan
08-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Oh, my Lord - I just heard on the radio that Jenna Jameson is pregnant. Can you imagine pushing Tito's giant-headed baby out?

She won't have any problems...the kid will be able to ride out on a inner tube if he wants.

desflood
08-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Buddy, have you seen Tito's noggin? it won't matter how much porn she's done.

djohn14
08-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I dont know...I think the giant head and her occupation pretty much cancel each other out. It will be a normal pregnancy.

dallaskd
08-06-2008, 12:47 PM
:lol

Evan
08-06-2008, 01:11 PM
.......... It will be a normal pregnancy.

But one hell of a f*cked up child hood.

djohn14
08-06-2008, 01:16 PM
But one hell of a f*cked up child hood.

Oh 4 sure...and imagine how he's gonna feel when he stumbles upon some website with his mother on it....

Evan
08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/donthack/tapout_pic_by_tracy_lee-1.jpg

djohn14
08-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah...what the hell where they thinking lol...

LMAO...does anyone remember this..and its just part 2, watch part 1 if you dare!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6md1I76DvSQ

djohn14
08-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Hell Yes!!!!

WEC and The Versus Channel have reached a new TV deal for 2009. The new deal will increase the number of live events from six, which they have slated for 2008, to eight in 2009.

Credit: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Evan
08-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I love and hate that news.

I wanted WEC to get put on network TV instead of the UFC but 8 events sound great so its all good no matter what.

Evan
08-11-2008, 01:03 PM
EliteXC on its last leg

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AjghBly4y7C_10ToqbbMb189Eo14?slug=mmajun kie-Fight_Biz_October_CBS&prov=mmajunkie&type=lgns

If they just hadn't over done it with Kimbo………..

dbreiden83080
08-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Quite possibly the most ignorant anti-UFC article I've seen in years... :lol
http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10162545/1

Comments
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/board/2383618

Boxing is dead after OdlH vs Mayweather...

and Tony Kornholer on PTI shows his ignorance...
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3883

I know this is really old but i just wanted to comment on this. It is still annoying that many in the mainstream media still bash MMA, and really don't even bother to take the time to try and understand it. The UFC should be getting mainstream coverage right now and it amazes me that has yet to happen. MMA is huge though and it is only getting bigger. The mainstream acceptance will finally come when all these old fossils, set in their ways and opinions on such matters, finally retire and go away and the younger breed take their jobs with a fresher outlook on MMA and really sports in general.

dbreiden83080
08-11-2008, 04:52 PM
EliteXC on its last leg

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AjghBly4y7C_10ToqbbMb189Eo14?slug=mmajun kie-Fight_Biz_October_CBS&prov=mmajunkie&type=lgns

If they just hadn't over done it with Kimbo………..

True and why would anyone be rushing to their TV sets after the rotten performance he turned in last time?? The guy is not fighting anybody credible and looks like shit.

djohn14
08-11-2008, 07:35 PM
UFC-WEC COMBINING!

After months of openly considering the move, Zuffa LLC is now committed to folding some of the WEC’s heavier weight classes into the UFC, and UFC President Dana White today said the process is already underway.

White confirmed the partial WEC-UFC merger while a guest on today’s edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

“We’re working on that now,” White said of the merger.

Ever since Zuffa LLC (the UFC’s parent company) purchased the organization in December 2006, White has maintained that the WEC would be run as a separate entity—not a feeder system for the UFC—with a focus on the sport’s lighter weight classes.

Although some fighters—including current WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner, former UFC title-holder Jens Pulver and featherweight prospect Leonard Garcia—went from the UFC to the WEC, they weren’t necessarily demotions. In fact, Pulver and Garcia made the moves so they could fight at 145 pounds (a weight class not offered in the UFC), and Varner joined the WEC with the promise of a title shot.

However, the organization has struggled to stock its middleweight and light heavyweight divisions, and rather than pull talent from the UFC, White said the WEC’s 205-pound and 185-pound divisions will be folded into the UFC.

“The answer is yes, and we’re working on that right now,” White said.

Although the light-heavyweight division offers some decent prospects in current WEC title-holder Steve Cantwell and former champ Brian Stann, neither is likely to make much of an immediate impact in the UFC’s stacked 205-pound division.

However, a couple of WEC 185-pounders could make some waves in the UFC. Current WEC middleweight champ Paulo Filho is generally considered one of the world’s top three 185-pounders, and his upcoming Sept. 10 opponent, Chael Sonnen, gave Filho all he could handle in their previous match-up. UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and Filho are friends and, in the past, said they’re unlikely to fight each other. However, Rich Franklin, Nate Marquardt, Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson all provide intriguing match-ups for the undefeated Brazilian.

In any manner, White didn’t mention a timetable for the merger but confirmed the wheels are in motion.

To hear the full interview with White, check out the TAGG Radio archives.

This story was produced in conjunction with TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com) specially for MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). The show—which is hosted by fighter/broadcaster Frank Trigg, Gorgeous George and ace producer Goze—books some of the biggest names in MMA. Download all the former episodes at www.taggradio.com, or tune into TAGG Radio’s live shows Monday-Friday at noon ET/9 a.m. PT.

Check out more UFC News at MMAjunkie.com. This story originally appeared on MMAjunkie.com and is syndicated on Yahoo! Sports as part of a content-partnership deal between the two sites.

ATRAIN
08-12-2008, 07:24 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Ak9bI4JfqrQ50KeNtg80Uzs5nYcB?slug=dm-lesnar081108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

djohn14
08-12-2008, 07:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MZNspoAUMA I dont remember this...

Anyway, I think Cain Velasquez would beat his ass, and yes I am already sold on Lesnar. I just think Velasquez is the most COMPLETE HW already.

Evan
08-12-2008, 08:35 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Ak9bI4JfqrQ50KeNtg80Uzs5nYcB?slug=dm-lesnar081108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

"The big question, whether he can take a punch, remains unanswered. But if he can take people down at will, it may be some time before he has to answer it. It’s to his benefit to keep that question from being asked for as long as possible."

I dunno...he took a nasty knee from Heath.

Excellent read though

LEONARD
08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
MMA Live to hit ESPN or ESPN 2 soon? Would be huge…
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/12/592127/mma-live-on-espn-or-espn2

djohn14
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Dude, that is awesome!

LEONARD
08-13-2008, 12:31 PM
added to my Dana quotes collection...

7/20/08 - upon learning that Emelianenko had submitted ex-UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia on Saturday in Anaheim, Calif., in less than a minute, White unflinchingly admitted he was impressed. “It does (change my opinion),” he conceded. “Tim Sylvia was a real opponent.”

WOW!! I was impressed...but...

8/9/08 - Reporter: "In your opinion, is there a fighter that could beat Fedor in the sport today?"
Dana: "You're trying to start some shit. I don't believe in the Fedor hype. I gotta see him fight somebody first. Obviously he destroyed Tim Sylvia..."
Reporter: "Thirty-seven seconds!"
Dana: "...and I couldn't have been fuckin' happier! (Everyone laughs) Tim Sylvia has been boring me for years. Finally, it was good to see him get wrecked. The only good thing he did was break Fedor's hand with his face. Honestly, Fedor has to prove himself to me before I'll believe in Fedor."

Oh Dana...

dbreiden83080
08-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Dana: "...and I couldn't have been fuckin' happier! (Everyone laughs) Tim Sylvia has been boring me for years. Finally, it was good to see him get wrecked. The only good thing he did was break Fedor's hand with his face. Honestly, Fedor has to prove himself to me before I'll believe in Fedor."

Oh Dana...

And that right there is why i hate Dana White. Trash the hell out of someone who used to be in your organization and is a very good fighter. The guy is such a fucking snake. Right now he is praising the hell out of Brock because he looks good and worth the investment. If he has 2 bad fights in a row and is out of the UFC, he'll say something like "He was just a publicity stunt and a waste of fucking time"

And what is he babbling on about "Fedor has to prove himself", against who exactly?? He holds 2 wins over your current heavy champ and just wrecked your former champ in less than a min. Who exactly is he supposed to fight that would impress you, Dana you jackass. :rolleyes

Other than Randy there is nobody and Dana is partially the reason that hasn't happened.

djohn14
08-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Cain Velasquez!!!

desflood
08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Strikeforce world light heavyweight champion Bobby Southworth (9-5) will make his next title defense against Renato "Babalu" Sobral (30-7) at September's Playboy at the Mansion II event.

Strikeforce Vice President Mike Afromowitz today confirmed the title fight, and other event participants, with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

In addition to Southworth vs. Sobral, Afromowitz said Strikeforce world lightweight champion Josh Thomson (15-2) and undefeated prospect Billy Evangelista (7-0) have also be added to the card, though the search continues for their opponents.

I dislike Bobby Southworth. I hope Babalu embarrasses him.

Evan
08-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Strikeforce world light heavyweight champion Bobby Southworth (9-5) will make his next title defense against Renato "Babalu" Sobral (30-7) at September's Playboy at the Mansion II event.

Strikeforce Vice President Mike Afromowitz today confirmed the title fight, and other event participants, with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

In addition to Southworth vs. Sobral, Afromowitz said Strikeforce world lightweight champion Josh Thomson (15-2) and undefeated prospect Billy Evangelista (7-0) have also be added to the card, though the search continues for their opponents.

I dislike Bobby Southworth. I hope Babalu embarrasses him.

^^^^ As speculated on a few other blogs, this is a sign Tito won't be on the affliction card.

djohn14
08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!!!!! It looks as if Roger Huerta lost much more than the fight against Florian, he also lost a relationship. Thats right Huerta and UFC ring girl Arianny Celeste are no longer on speaking terms. So he lost the fight and a very attractive Latina. Shes all mine now!

Evan
08-13-2008, 03:56 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!!!!! It looks as if Roger Huerta lost much more than the fight against Florian, he also lost a relationship. Thats right Huerta and UFC ring girl Arianny Celeste are no longer on speaking terms. So he lost the fight and a very attractive Latina. Shes all mine now!

Please don't post anything like this ever again :nope

djohn14
08-13-2008, 04:36 PM
I apologize, slow day. :wakeup

Evan
08-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I apologize, slow day. :wakeup

Just kidding with ya

LEONARD
08-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Some old school MMA videos…Arlovski’s MMA debut from 1999 and a 32 man ONE DAY tourny from 1995 (won by Ricardo Morais, who you might know as the statue that Aleks Emelianenko KO’d in about 10 seconds in Pride). Also noticed that Igor Vovchanchyn is a big player in the tourney, but falls a little short (submitting to a chin in the eye!). Alex Andrade (recently of Art or War and HDNet Fights fame) made his MMA debut against Morais also. Tra Telligman was in it too. Crazy stuff.
http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/08/13/must-see-arlovskis-debut-morais-pwns-32-man-tournament/

djohn14
08-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Sweet vids Leonard....That was an awesome takedown by Morais in the finals.

dallaskd
08-13-2008, 11:35 PM
MMA Live to hit ESPN or ESPN 2 soon? Would be huge…
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/12/592127/mma-live-on-espn-or-espn2

it better be on regular ESPN because ESPN 2 is a joke.

desflood
08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
We were re-watching UFC 56 last night and heard an oldie but goodie from GSP:

"I heet heem and I knew dat he was urt because I heer heem say 'Aughhh!'"

Someday I'm going to write a book, and that's going to be one of the chapter titles.

djohn14
08-15-2008, 02:02 PM
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/08/15/5-oz-exclusive-forrest-griffin-mac-danzig-play-cops-in-tucker-max-movie/

Forrest and Danzig are cops!!!!!!...with pics!

dbreiden83080
08-15-2008, 02:24 PM
We were re-watching UFC 56 last night and heard an oldie but goodie from GSP:

"I heet heem and I knew he was urt because I heer heem say 'Aughhh!'"

Someday I'm going to write a book, and that's going to be one of the chapter titles.

LOL, gotta love GSP

LEONARD
08-15-2008, 05:44 PM
EliteXC canceled its Sept 20th card
http://mmamania.com/2008/08/15/report-elite-xc-cancels-showtime-show-set-for-september-20/

Rachelle Leah to hit Playboy soon
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/08/15/report-former-ufc-ring-girl-rachelle-leah-to-pose-nude/

Sorry, but not even Bas can help the Niners
http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/08/15/bas-rutten-gives-the-49ers-a-pep-talk/

Craziest fighter ever? W T F
http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/06/27/war-quinn/
http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/08/15/oprah-winfrey-wake-the-fck-up-alright/

Evan
08-15-2008, 06:17 PM
canceling a show isn't exactly a good thing

dbreiden83080
08-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Rachelle Leah to hit Playboy soon
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/08/15/report-former-ufc-ring-girl-rachelle-leah-to-pose-nude/

Best news of the night, right there. :toast

dbreiden83080
08-15-2008, 07:32 PM
canceling a show isn't exactly a good thing

Ticket sales must have been in the toilet.

Evan
08-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Ticket sales must have been in the toilet.

Most likely but I would love to hear a real explanation and not whatever BS will be sent out on a press release Monday.

Canceling a show is as bad as it gets.

dbreiden83080
08-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Most likely but I would love to hear a real explanation and not whatever BS will be sent out on a press release Monday.

Canceling a show is as bad as it gets.

Yeah, well they'll spin it as best they can, that's just how they'll have to handle the embarassment of cancelling a show. The only reason could be, poor ticket sales, and lack of interest. What this supposed to be on PPV Evan??

Evan
08-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah, well they'll spin it as best they can, that's just how they'll have to handle the embarassment of cancelling a show. The only reason could be, poor ticket sales, and lack of interest. What this supposed to be on PPV Evan??

No I believe word was that was going to be in early 09 when they start doing PPV's.

Now almost all of pro-elites smaller shows have been canceled.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/16/595039/elitexc-in-financial-troub

This fooking sucks...they have effectively killed off about 10 shows. Good work Pro Elite.

djohn14
08-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Maybe they are going to sell?

dbreiden83080
08-16-2008, 03:57 PM
No I believe word was that was going to be in early 09 when they start doing PPV's.

Now almost all of pro-elites smaller shows have been canceled.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/16/595039/elitexc-in-financial-troub

This fooking sucks...they have effectively killed off about 10 shows. Good work Pro Elite.

"The fact that they’re canceling shows and concentrating their efforts on the next CBS event suggests that they’re trying to reign in their costs. The risk-reward ratio is considerably more favourable for a network broadcasted event; and for a company that is quickly burning through its cash reserves, they must begin generating more than they spend".

Gee, so basically they are putting everything they have on this one show in Sept and killing everything else because they just can't afford it.

"The IFL is dead, and both Elite XC & DREAM are heading into dangerous territory. The MMA business at the end of this year may very well look exactly like the professional wrestling business on a worldwide scale — one major company (UFC… like WWE) and everyone else not even close."

Dana White and the UFC are likely doing backflips as he continues to talk trash, about his competitors bleeding money and going nowhere, while the UFC just keeps rolling. You are right Evan about them. They put too much stock in that hack, Kimbo Slice. Maybe this kind of thing will force Fedor's hand and he'll finally come to the UFC after all. In a year or 2, there may be no place else for him to fight.

Evan
08-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Sad day...

Man I hope they pull in a lions share ratings wise. That's a lot of MMA orgs that will fold over night.

dbreiden83080
08-16-2008, 04:06 PM
But all the guys worth seeing i am sure the UFC will scoop up anyway right??

djohn14
08-16-2008, 05:17 PM
IMO here is a funny video with Kimbo and the best RB in football...watch it...but anyway I cant for the life of me embed a video!

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/08/16/ladainian-tomlinson-works-out-with-kimbo-slice-in-new-nike-commercial-video/

dbreiden83080
08-16-2008, 05:43 PM
^^^

LOL, what the Fuck, i don't even know what to say about that

Evan
08-17-2008, 07:25 PM
post from sherdog

I was stunned at 4-8

Yeah I subscribe to Playboy (for the articles ) and Dana was interviewed in this month's magizine. Sorry I can't post a link b/c I do not have on-line access. Not sure if someone posted this b4 but here 10 highlights for the interview.

Note: I don't know how much unknown or surprising info I'm gonna post but I figured I would share anyway. Also note that I am NOT a fan of Dana but in fairness I will just post facts from the article without any personal bias.

1. Dana was actually an aerobics instructer teaching "Boxercise" at a gym in Boston. **Someone PLEASE photoshop a pic**

2. He thinks that one day the UFC will be bigger than the MLB, NFL, and World Cup scoccer. **Intresting fact is that last year TUF beat Monday Night Football in ratings for the 18-43 demo.**

3. During the 1st season of TUF, The Contender was also on and the fighters in the house saw that their boxing counteparts were making $25,000 a piece for the show. They then called Lorenzo and said they wouldn't fight without pay. After Lorenzo passed the news on the Dana, Dana said, "Really? Would you like to fuc*ing bet?" Dana then went to the TUF house and told the fighters that they were going to fight for free or he would send them home.

4. He once got the S*it kicked out of him by a few guys in a bar in Boston. Hs is now deaf in his left ear b/c of that fight. The fight started b/c these guys were harassing his sister and he went up to them to defend her. I don't like Dana but those guys are a bunch of p*ssys.

5. In 2004 and UFC was $44million in dept and Dana had negoiated a deal to sell the UFC for $6-$7million to some investors. After the deal Lorenzo called and said, "F*ck it we're for $44million lets go another $10million" With that $10million they worked a deal out with spike TV to start TUF and the rest is history. Dana says if it wasn't for Spike and Lorenzo the UFC would not be around toay.

6. Dana's 10% ovnership in the UFC is worth around $200Million

7. He HATES Gary Shaw, thinks Mark Cuban is a "smart guy" but thinks he doesn't give a Sh*t about MMA, and has nothing but respect for Donald Trump, says he would never say anything bad about Trump and "he could have my seats anytime."

8. The UFC covers all and any medical expenses for fighter injuries that take place during an UFC event.

9. His main focus with Lorenzo coming aboard is to expand their international reach.

10. Bragged that 91% of UFC fighter make more than $50,000/year and 44% make over $100,00. **Once you take out taxes and training exp I am NOT impressed with that number**

djohn14
08-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Anderson versus Chuckles?

NBCSports.com has an interesting piece up on its website right now where it mentions that if Georges St. Pierre isn't ready to fight BJ Penn on the UFC's New Year's Eve show in December than the UFC may be interested in booking Anderson Silva vs. Chuck Liddell for the show. That fight has a few obstacles in its way as well. Liddell is facing Rashad Evans in September and Silva is facing Patrick Cote in October. However if both fighters are healthy going into December than the UFC is reportedly very interested in booking that fight.

Another fight being thrown around in case Silva or Liddell are not ready by December is Forrest Griffin defending his UFC light heavyweight title against Wanderlei Silva.

ATRAIN
08-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Anderson versus Chuckles?

NBCSports.com has an interesting piece up on its website right now where it mentions that if Georges St. Pierre isn't ready to fight BJ Penn on the UFC's New Year's Eve show in December than the UFC may be interested in booking Anderson Silva vs. Chuck Liddell for the show. That fight has a few obstacles in its way as well. Liddell is facing Rashad Evans in September and Silva is facing Patrick Cote in October. However if both fighters are healthy going into December than the UFC is reportedly very interested in booking that fight.

Another fight being thrown around in case Silva or Liddell are not ready by December is Forrest Griffin defending his UFC light heavyweight title against Wanderlei Silva.

Why does Wanderlei deserve a tittle shot?

LEONARD
08-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Dana on a LV radio station: - "Theres no doubt in my mind that Brock would smack the shit out of Fedor"

ATRAIN
08-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Dana on a LV radio station: - "Theres no doubt in my mind that Brock would smack the shit out of Fedor"

LOL damn Dana is pretty damn funny. Brock has a long way to go, but maybe if he can keep dominating he will bring Randy back.

Evan
08-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Good read on a very weird dude

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5078/ivan-salaverry-sea-change-in-seattle.mma

Evan
08-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Does anyone know what the Spurs Talk record is for pages on 1 thread?

Anyway......

Tito negotiating with the UFC again.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/18/596425/tito-ortiz-negotiating-aga

I do not like Tito but as I have said before Tito is awesome for the sport if he can compete at a high level. Not even elite, just high level...lets say just winning 2/3 fights. I think he could bring an org to ruin with his financial demands but the UFC can afford him.

lol

“I don’t know if we’re really negotiating, or simply helping Tito stroke his giant ego,” an unnamed fight company representative is quoted as saying in Stupp’s article.

TheTruth
08-18-2008, 08:33 PM

A couple thousand pages.

dbreiden83080
08-18-2008, 08:57 PM

Anyway......

Tito negotiating with the UFC again.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/18/596425/tito-ortiz-negotiating-aga

I do not like Tito but as I have said before Tito is awesome for the sport if he can compete at a high level. Not even elite, just high level...lets say just winning 2/3 fights. I think he could bring an org to ruin with his financial demands but the UFC can afford him.

lol

Tito fighting Lyoto was like a big Fuck you to him on his way out the door. Bad stlye, bad matchup for him. The better fight for him was a rematch with Rashad, a fight he was winning and i feel still won in spite of the pt deducted. But the sad truth is, he can't beat any of the top guys. I'd like to see him come back and fight Rashad again, but i heard that he may go down to 185, after Chuck whips his ass. I want to see Tito back, but who can he fight at 205??

dbreiden83080
08-18-2008, 08:59 PM

LOL, he had to have been kidding around. Brock got Sub'd by Mir, Fedor is like the fucking Yoda of Heavyweight Submissions. That Submission would not be a matter of if, just when if he fought Brock.

dbreiden83080
08-18-2008, 09:02 PM
LOL damn Dana is pretty damn funny. Brock has a long way to go, but maybe if he can keep dominating he will bring Randy back.

Randy would have a tough time with Brock

djohn14
08-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Cain Velasquez would tear up Brock the c*ck Lesnar!

dbreiden83080
08-18-2008, 09:28 PM

A lot of guys would right now. But that is the point. He has all the tools, he just needs the time to properly sharpen them.

Evan
08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
A couple thousand pages.

Cool

I didn't think that page was even close but I just noticed how many it had and it made me curious as some forums start auto splitting threads after a assigned number which I hate.

Evan
08-18-2008, 09:46 PM

I am not so sure...I don't know what either has but I would love to see it.

It was just a year ago nearly everyone thought Vera would be contending for a HW title right about now.

dbreiden83080
08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Cool

I didn't think that page was even close but I just noticed how many it had and it made me curious as some forums start auto splitting threads after a assigned number which I hate.

I think Kori, hates us MMA fans :lol

But you and Leonard do a great job keeping the ball rolling around here :toast

Evan
08-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Thank you sir...it passes the time and I am stunned I have 4100 something posts since I neither like or hate the spurs

I don't even like basketball much...hahahha...

But alas the sign of a good forum is one that begins to draw people that have nothing to do with the forums original purpose.

Evan
08-18-2008, 10:34 PM
and sometimes I feel like I bully topics with people at times but I am always trying to get people to explain their opinions in more depth since I truly enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on things. Especially since (as I have said before) the mma posters on this simple forum are far better than sherdog and blogs many times over. I wish we could get another 5 people.

dbreiden83080
08-18-2008, 10:42 PM
I wish we could get another 5 people.

We should in time. Is it my imagination or have the Fight threads and what not been getting bigger of late?? I think more people are starting to talk a little MMA around this section.

Evan
08-18-2008, 10:52 PM
We should in time. Is it my imagination or have the Fight threads and what not been getting bigger of late?? I think more people are starting to talk a little MMA around this section.

You're right...we're definitely getting more people..I think when I started posting here we would hit 2 to 4 pages per fight and now....8 or so on average... just guessing.

Thats a pretty big jump for a simple fight thread considering there are so many.

dbreiden83080
08-18-2008, 11:02 PM
the mma posters on this simple forum are far better than sherdog and blogs many times over. I wish we could get another 5 people.

BTW i 100% agree with you on that.

Anytime i try to jump into a debate on Sherdog, it turns into a fight with different factions just yelling at eachother. That happens with those huge forums, too many people on one side of the fence or the other. Hell it goes on here in the Spurs section. :lol

When i come here, i can talk some MMA, with a small group of great intelligent fans and just bang around some thoughts. That is very hard to do in a place like Sherdog.

dallaskd
08-19-2008, 12:11 AM
i remember when the spurstalk mma forum was so small and it basically consisted of leonard and Mr.Dio fighting over if Pride or the UFC was better and me and like one other person would read and laugh. :lol like seriously it was like 4 or 5 people max.

dallaskd
08-19-2008, 12:14 AM
A couple thousand pages.

im guessing it was the quattro thread

Evan
08-19-2008, 07:44 AM
i remember when the spurstalk mma forum was so small and it basically consisted of leonard and Mr.Dio fighting over if Pride or the UFC was better and me and like one other person would read and laugh. :lol like seriously it was like 4 or 5 people max.

Oh God LEONARD you used to argue that tired fight?!!

:sleep:bang:bang:shootme:shootme:shootme:hang:hang :hang

dallaskd
08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
it something along the lines of the that. i just remember dio calling them jap leagues. and then eventually changed his headline under his name, "Leonardoody is my bitch". :lol the good ole days. i wonder what happened to him.

Evan
08-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Too funny...hahahahaha

Sometimes you just got to duke it out with someone on ST to pass the day.

*Dana White announced that Mike Swick will be added to the card but stopped short at saying who his opponent will be.

* Chicago is the UFC's #1 market for pay-per-view revenue.

* When all is said and done, UFC 90 will be the highest-grossing event in the 28-year history of the Allstate Arena, smashing Wrestlemania 22's record of 2.4 million dollars.

* As of Noon today, UFC 90's gate has already reached the two million dollar mark.

* White said Anderson Silva could potentially move up to light heavyweight again if he defeats Patrick Cote on October 25th.

* Furthermore, he even hinted at a possible GSP vs. Silva bout at an undetermined catch weight.

* The winner of the Diego Sanchez vs. Thiago Alves bout will receive a welterweight title shot.

* Speaking of Alves, he vowed to have no more issues making weight at 170 lbs.

Stay tuned for more footage/coverage from the press conference.

http://mmarated.com/articles/article/news/20080818/ufc_90_press_conference_report__swick_added-16330.html

dallaskd
08-19-2008, 11:58 AM
wow great post there.

* White said Anderson Silva could potentially move up to light heavyweight again if he defeats Patrick Cote on October 25th.

-are they going to give him a top guy and risk him losing. I hope Dana doesnt throw Soku in there with him.

* Furthermore, he even hinted at a possible GSP vs. Silva bout at an undetermined catch weight.

-Would be badass but how would that work with GSP having to fight Penn AND Alves/Sanchez, And Anderson having to fight Cote and another LHW fight?

Evan
08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
-are they going to give him a top guy and risk him losing. I hope Dana doesnt throw Soku in there with him.

Rumor has Chuck

LEONARD
08-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Oh God LEONARD you used to argue that tired fight?!!

You just had to be there to see the shit Dio spouted...it was like trying to have a debate with a 7 yr old racist. Just be glad he stopped posting in this forum...

Evan
08-19-2008, 12:31 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah....I remember hearing about this fella

Evan
08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
BTW I really hope Silva Vs Chuck happens

That fight makes so much sense. There is not much you can do with Silva where he is right now as he has cleaned out his division for the most part.

Chuck has a lot of miliage left but he really isn't in the title hunt right now since your top two LHW fighters need a re-match within a few fights

So why not have a super fight that has no impact on either division. Silva becomes a super star to the mases and neither fighter loses much in a loss. Its perfect.

desflood
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Oh man, Dio. He'll probably read all this and return to make our online lives miserable once more.

Funny coincidence, though - I got on one morning specifically to put Dio on ignore and had a pm from Leonard waiting for me, asking to put Dio on ignore. Guess it worked - he left.

LEONARD
08-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Here are a couple threads containing Dio gold (1st one turns to CaptMike gold also)
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50196&page=2

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56640&page=4

Evan
08-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Quick scanning some of those threads…pretty amusing stuff. Looks like this place has improved a bit and I think I showed up right after the trolls got run off.

LEONARD
08-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Funny coincidence, though - I got on one morning specifically to put Dio on ignore and had a pm from Leonard waiting for me, asking to put Dio on ignore. Guess it worked - he left.

dallaskd
08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I did a little trolling when i first joined the forum, like my "butterbean should be in the UFC" thread and some others i can't remember. :lol

Evan
08-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I did a little trolling when i first joined the forum, like my "butterbean should be in the UFC" thread and some others i can't remember. :lol

He almost was…I think he came close to taking on Buster Douglas for 3 rounds or somesuch.

Maybe it was some other busted down broke HW champion.

dallaskd
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
haha wow. :lol

Evan
08-19-2008, 03:53 PM
I vaguely remember this when I used to watch 'the best damn sports show'

speaking of which...I remember Tito when he was a kid on there...such an arrogant ass. lol...he was slumped in his chair with his sun glass opened and wrapped around his neck.

Too bad I didn't care for MMA at the time...I had forgotten all about it.

dallaskd
08-19-2008, 04:45 PM
lol i remember Tito and Shamrock on Best Damn before their UFC 40 bout. hilarious. you could probably find it on youtube.

djohn14
08-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Yep..If Chuck and Andy both win they WILL fight at the New Years Eve PPV!

angelbelow
08-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Yep..If Chuck and Andy both win they WILL fight at the New Years Eve PPV!

dude that would be crazy..

djohn14
08-19-2008, 08:48 PM
I know...and let me rephrase that...if Chuck and Anderson both win and dont suffer a significant injury they will fight. You know they both can be ready and will put on a show....

dallaskd
08-19-2008, 11:02 PM
i actually think im going with the chuckster in that matchup

dallaskd
08-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Florian-Stevenson set for November...

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6920&zoneid=2

good fight. kenny takes it.

Evan
08-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Florian-Stevenson set for November...

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6920&zoneid=2

good fight. kenny takes it.

That’s a perfect match up. So evenly matched and I would like to see Roger take the loser on.

DBryant88
08-20-2008, 09:37 AM
This will be a battle of guts and determination

dbreiden83080
08-20-2008, 10:16 AM
i actually think im going with the chuckster in that matchup

Tough one to call. Would be a great fight. Chuck fighting Evans is going to be like a sparring session for him. That is such a mis-match it is hilarious. Rashad is like a smaller version of Tito. He can't strike with Chuck and has no chance to take him down. Chuck by KO maybe in RD 1.

dbreiden83080
08-20-2008, 10:29 AM
lol i remember Tito and Shamrock on Best Damn before their UFC 40 bout. hilarious. you could probably find it on youtube.

Great Stuff

Zf1Kei1amU0.

Evan
08-20-2008, 11:29 AM
the financial picture of proelite/exc becomes more clear

http://www.mmapayout.com/2008/08/proelite-10-q/

In the end its possible pro-elite might be the worst thing to ever happen to MMA since they may wipe out 6 or 7 shows with them. Another case of a company trying to break into this thing over night and not taking it slow. Again...why is everyone in such a rush? Why did pro-elite rapidly buy all of these orgs within weeks of each other and fail so fast?

I don't get it.

Evan
08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
In case anyone doesn't know…Pro Elite went on a shopping bender and bought up a ton of orgs…

Cage Rage
ICON
Spirit FC
EliteXC
King of the Cage
And a handful of others…this would be far more catastrophic than PRIDE folding.

Evan
08-20-2008, 12:08 PM
OZZY's back at Affliction 2

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5098/ozzy-osbourne-to-perform-at-affliction-day-of-reckoning.mma

dallaskd
08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
OZZY's back at Affliction 2

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5098/ozzy-osbourne-to-perform-at-affliction-day-of-reckoning.mma

dear godd..... :bang

dbreiden83080
08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
the financial picture of proelite/exc becomes more clear

http://www.mmapayout.com/2008/08/proelite-10-q/

In the end its possible pro-elite might be the worst thing to ever happen to MMA since they may wipe out 6 or 7 shows with them. Another case of a company trying to break into this thing over night and not taking it slow. Again...why is everyone in such a rush? Why did pro-elite rapidly buy all of these orgs within weeks of each other and fail so fast?

I don't get it.

Well they definately tried to buy up all these smaller promotions and get the best talent not in the UFC that they could. Not a bad idea on the surface, but their product as a whole from what i saw, in terms of production was quite poor. Put too much in that Kimbo fight as you have said in the past and it was such a bad fight and poorly, executed most that saw it could not have been impressed.

dallaskd
08-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Great Stuff

Zf1Kei1amU0.

"Im going to take your soul"

-Ken

:lmao

dbreiden83080
08-20-2008, 01:01 PM
"Im going to take your soul"

-Ken

:lmao

How about when the one guy asks Tito

"Ken is the greatest shoot-fighter ever in the world, how are you going to beat this guy"

:lol:lol

Evan
08-20-2008, 01:05 PM
dear godd..... :bang

Atencio said they need to be more financially responsible in the future...so why are they doing this?

This whole MMA lifestyle thing is very Bodogish.

Well they definately tried to buy up all these smaller promotions and get the best talent not in the UFC that they could. Not a bad idea on the surface..........

Absolutely...can't blame them and its a rather good idea.

I just wonder why they and everyone else is in such a hurry. Nobody has any patience. They want to build everything over night and that makes no sense.

I really think the Strikeforce model (aside from zuffa) is the best way to do this. They're going nice and slow…constantly churn out a good product. The UFC put on shows at a slow stable pace for a long time...4 to 8 months between shows at times and it worked. They didn't try to do it over night.

dallaskd
08-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Ken possibly has the worst comebacks ever. From UFC 40 all the way to TUF 3. He should have stayed in Pro Wrestling and could have left a better legacy in MMA. But i dont know if the UFC would be where it would be today without the Tito-Ken banter.

dallaskd
08-20-2008, 01:10 PM
on a side note... when do you think the UFC #'s stop? do they stop at UFC 100, and just go with the aspect of like UFC: Silva vs. Irvin?

dbreiden83080
08-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Ken possibly has the worst comebacks ever. From UFC 40 all the way to TUF 3. He should have stayed in Pro Wrestling and could have left a better legacy in MMA. But i dont know if the UFC would be where it would be today without the Tito-Ken banter.

The feud although one sided did a lot for the sport of MMA. UFC 40 was the biggest MMA event in history at that time. It actually got me back into the sport, as i had not watched since really the early UFC's. Went into that fight rooting for Ken, left it liking what i saw from Tito and have loved him since. TUF 3 was awesome. Their banter back and forth was just pure entertainment. That was always the thing about Ken and Tito, they had the best promos of anyone, sucking you in but when it was time to fight, it was all Tito.

Evan
08-20-2008, 01:37 PM
on a side note... when do you think the UFC #'s stop? do they stop at UFC 100, and just go with the aspect of like UFC: Silva vs. Irvin?

Interesting question...

hmmmmmmmmmmm........

the only problem would be titling the co main (s) and risk offending your other headliners.

I bet we see a 4 to 5 card co mainer sooner than later…possibly this Christmas.

But personally I would prefer just the lone headliner. Just name it the last fight and be done with the stupid "seek and destroy" "validation" blah blah...

dbreiden83080
08-20-2008, 01:41 PM
The UFC going past 100 doesn't bother me at all

dallaskd
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
MMA Live not heading to ESPN anytime soon...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5054/espn-mma-live-not-headed-to-airwaves-anytime-soon.mma

dbreiden83080
08-20-2008, 03:01 PM
MMA Live not heading to ESPN anytime soon...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5054/espn-mma-live-not-headed-to-airwaves-anytime-soon.mma

That sucks. I don't get why ESPN would not give it a shot and see how it goes.

djohn14
08-20-2008, 06:54 PM
:downspin:Hello every one...Djohn here, and I would just like to say this is my 1,000 post!:downspin:

Now I know you all wish you could come to my party, but I dont want to pay for roundtrip-hotels-food etc, so youll have to do with a congradulations I suppose....I know its sad but life goes on.

Anyway, everyone knows the rule right? The 1,000 post means the poster gets to post one of his dumb ideas and cant get bashed for it so here goes, and here me out!

TEAM MMA!!!

I know, I know..."this guy is a genius!" "Is that djohn, or Stephen Hawkings"...but guys you cant just jump to the conclusion that Im magnificant.

So picture this. You could have like multi division tag titles.....so like Anderson Silva and Big Nog (not losing their singles titles) taking on The Croation team of Goran Reljic and Mirko Cro Cop!!! Here are the rules.

1.) As far as the fight rules go, its all the same...knees, time, etc!

2.) You may only fight the fighter in your division.

3) If for instance its Matt Hughes and Thiago Alves versus St. Pierre and Matt Serra, you must flip a coin to find out which fighter you square off with!

4.) No double teams...a double team is an immediate DQ, and you must only fight your fighter.

So yeah, remember...

A. Its my 1,000 post!

B. There is a no bashing rule!

C. A and B are very important...thanks and Good night!

LEONARD
08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
2 failed drug tests coming today...
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/20/597994/elitexc-and-affliction-dru

please not Fedor...please not Fedor...please not Fedor...please not Fedor...

angelbelow
08-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Great Stuff

Zf1Kei1amU0.

LOL definitely brought back memories. in retrospect do you think they were acting to a certain extent to promote the fight? probably.

desflood
08-21-2008, 09:21 AM
2 failed drug tests coming today...
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/20/597994/elitexc-and-affliction-dru

please not Fedor...please not Fedor...please not Fedor...please not Fedor...
Nah - it'll be Dewees and Eilers. Don't worry.

Evan
08-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Can you imagine how every blog and forum will just implode if it is Fedor!

Part of me wants it to be Fedor just for the chaos

dbreiden83080
08-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Can you imagine how every blog and forum will just implode if it is Fedor!

Part of me wants it to be Fedor just for the chaos

By the look of Fedor's physique if he is taking steroids, they ain't working :hat

Evan
08-21-2008, 10:51 AM
By the look of Fedor's physique if he is taking steroids, they ain't working :hat

The use of steroids has changed a bit…some people use them for their healing properties. Like Raphael Palmero (baseball) did.

LEONARD
08-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Raphael Palmero

worst spelling ever? :lol

LEONARD
08-21-2008, 12:25 PM
New HL video by Boondock…”Zulu’d”…funny! :lol
http://boondockvideo.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/fedor-highlight-zulud/

LEONARD
08-21-2008, 12:34 PM
From California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) Acting Assistant Executive Officer Bill Douglas:

“Edwin Dewees, who last competed on the Roy Englebrecht Promotions event sponsored by Affliction on July 19 in Anaheim, has tested positive for Nandrolone. His test level was finalized at 499 ng/mL. Independent tests were conducted by Quest Diagnostics for the “A” Sample and Laboratoire De Controle Du Dopage for the “B” Sample. He has been suspended for one year retroactive to the conclusion of the bout and fined $2,500.”

Dewees — a UFC veteran and participant on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 4 — was stopped by Antonio Rogerio Nogueira via first round technical knockout at Affliction: “Banned” last month. It marked the fifth loss in the last six fights for “Babyface.” Nandrolone is the same banned substance that was detected in the system of Sean Sherk after his win in California over Hermes Franca at UFC 73: “Stacked” last year — a finding he continues to dispute to this very day.

:hat

Evan
08-21-2008, 12:35 PM
worst spelling ever? :lol

I only forgot the i...dill!

LEONARD
08-21-2008, 12:58 PM
and Antonio Silva...doh!!

EliteXC heavyweight champ Antonio Silva fails drug test
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 21, 2008 at 1:40 pm ET
Antonio Silva, who was recently crowned EliteXC's first-ever heavyweight champion, has been suspended one year and fined $2,500 for his alleged use of the anabolic steroid Boldenone.

The California State Athletic Commission alerted MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the news today via email.

Silva (11-1) scored a second-round TKO of Justin Eilers at EliteXC's July 26 "Unfinished Business" event in Stockton, Calif., but he failed a drug test administered by the CSAC at the event.

Boldenone was developed for veterinary use -- primarily for horses -- but has been used by football players, boxers, mixed martial artists and other athletes in recent years as a performance-enhancing drugs.

Independent tests were conducted by Quest Diagnostics for Silva's "A" sample and Laboratoire De Controle Du Dopage for the "B" sample, according to the CSAC's Bill Douglas.

All other fighters who competed at the event tested clean for drugs of abuse and performance-enhancing drugs.

Silva will have the opportunity to file an appeal with the commission.

Evan
08-21-2008, 01:01 PM
1 year suspensions for each…

idiots

dbreiden83080
08-21-2008, 01:34 PM
LOL definitely brought back memories. in retrospect do you think they were acting to a certain extent to promote the fight? probably.

Probably but the hatred that started the feud was very real going back to when Tito flipped off the Guy Metzger corner after he beat him and Shamrock went ape-shit in anger. After UFC 40 everything seemed cool. Until Shamrock did some interviews and said that he was injured going into the Tito Fight and wanted another shot at him. I know there was a re-match clause in the contract but Tito wouldn't give it to him, pissing Ken off even more. Tito kept taunting him though even showing up at Shamrock's post-fight after he beat Kimo and this took place

Be9R3Al2aM0.

LOL, more good stuff. Of course nothing happened until a few years later at TUF 3, when Tito and Ken got to jabber at eachother to our delight for 10 weeks and then Tito kicked his ass again in the Octagon, ahh memories.

polandprzem
08-21-2008, 03:14 PM

umm, guys you are interested in fight sport and you don't know that steroids not always work increasing muscles.

dallaskd
08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Probably but the hatred that started the feud was very real going back to when Tito flipped off the Guy Metzger corner after he beat him and Shamrock went ape-shit in anger. After UFC 40 everything seemed cool. Until Shamrock did some interviews and said that he was injured going into the Tito Fight and wanted another shot at him. I know there was a re-match clause in the contract but Tito wouldn't give it to him, pissing Ken off even more. Tito kept taunting him though even showing up at Shamrock's post-fight after he beat Kimo and this took place

Be9R3Al2aM0.

LOL, more good stuff. Of course nothing happened until a few years later at TUF 3, when Tito and Ken got to jabber at eachother to our delight for 10 weeks and then Tito kicked his ass again in the Octagon, ahh memories.

There needs to be a new fued. I dont think anything can top Shamrock-Ortiz, but wow i miss those days. Lesnar and some other hot head im guessng are next.

dbreiden83080
08-21-2008, 03:40 PM
umm, guys you are interested in fight sport and you don't know that steroids not always work increasing muscles.

Jesus BRO, i was half kidding around, did you miss the :hat in there.

desflood
08-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Dave Meltzer of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Japanese Olympic gold medalist in judo, Satoshi Ishii, challenged Fedor Emelianenko this past week after winning his medal:

In Beijing, China, after winning the gold medal in the superheavyweight division in judo this past week, Japan’s Satoshi Ishii said he wanted to fight “Emelianenko Fedor,” as the legendary Russian fighter is known in Japan.

With Ishii becoming a national hero in Japan and the sport fading in popularity, such a match would draw the kind of interest that Emelianenko against a top fighter could never do.
With the way that Japanese fans love their freakshow MMA fights it’s very possible that this fight could be put together for New Year’s Eve. As long as Fedor’s hand is ready to go it’s probably a sure thing that he will be fighting on New Year’s Eve in Japan but the opponent is not yet known. As of two weeks ago, it was reported that Fedor would either fight a “judo legend or a sumo wrestler” on New Year’s Eve. Ishii fits the bill for that description especially now that he’s locked up the gold medal at this year’s Olympic games. Judokas who win gold medals are national heroes in Japan and a fight with Fedor, who is also adored in Japan, is a big time money fight for the Japanese.

Ishii has never fought in MMA and would likely be in for a serious beating but if a struggling promotion like DREAM could put this fight on it would go a long way towards helping them survive through the end of 2008.

Evan
08-22-2008, 11:49 AM
I feel some big time MMA news about to drop…

My spider sense is tingling

....................of course it could just be because I am bored sh*tless

dbreiden83080
08-22-2008, 12:50 PM
I feel some big time MMA news about to drop…

My spider sense is tingling

....................of course it could just be because I am bored sh*tless

Tito Ortiz resigns with the UFC,

Pretty Please Evan :p:

Evan
08-22-2008, 01:02 PM
My guess is that he gets one fight from another org and then re-signs with the UFC.

polandprzem
08-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Jesus BRO, i was half kidding around, did you miss the :hat in there.

I did and I'm sorry for that

;)

dallaskd
08-22-2008, 06:52 PM
So according to Evan, LEONARD is gay...

Evan
08-22-2008, 07:18 PM
So according to Evan, LEONARD is gay...

uh oh....

bit busted....dammit...

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103483

Evan
08-22-2008, 07:27 PM
I guess I need to confess...

Every time something comes up where I can throw LEONARD's name out there I take the shot in "the club."

So far I have offerred up one of his spare bed rooms for rent to a medical student in October.

I told someone he was selling his fuel efficient car

I told someone he could get them a job that would pay for their move

I once claimed he was throwing a party and everyone was invited, just pm him

As of today he owns a lawn service that will cut lawns for $50
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2729252#post2729252

And now he's been outed to the forum as ghey

There's a few more but those are the highlights :nutkick:

Evan
08-22-2008, 08:11 PM
In non LEONARD is ghey news...

Roger may be a cheating bastard who greases.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/22/599197/kenny-florian-accusing-rog

I have been a fan of Rogers since I first saw him fight and have defended him countless times...if the above is true he can go f*ck himself and I wish ultimate failure on him.

EDIT - But in all fairness Kenny needs to be extremely clear on this and not allude to it. Its bullsh*t that he is not being clear. And why wait so long?

Something is wrong with this.

dbreiden83080
08-22-2008, 08:16 PM
In non LEONARD is ghey news...

Roger may be a cheating bastard who greases.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/22/599197/kenny-florian-accusing-rog

I have been a fan of Rogers since I first saw him fight and have defended him countless times...if the above is true he can go f*ck himself and I wish ultimate failure on him.

Isn't it up to the ref checking him coming into the Octagon and the Ref assigned for the fight to look for those things and see if something needs to be fixed?? If he needs to be wiped down. Maybe they will look harder in the future now that he has been accused.

Evan
08-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Isn't it up to the ref checking him coming into the Octagon and the Ref assigned for the fight to look for those things and see if something needs to be fixed?? If he needs to be wiped down. Maybe they will look harder in the future now that he has been accused.

yeah its very weird that he would say this for many reasons.

Also note I edited my post while you were replying.

dbreiden83080
08-22-2008, 08:26 PM
EDIT - But in all fairness Kenny needs to be extremely clear on this and not allude to it. Its bullsh*t that he is not being clear. And why wait so long?

Something is wrong with this.

True and strange he would bring it up at all. He won the fight. It is not like he lost and is looking for an excuse, he performed reasonably well and won the fight.

Evan
08-22-2008, 08:30 PM
True and strange he would bring it up at all. He won the fight. It is not like he lost and is looking for an excuse, he performed reasonably well and won the fight.

Exactly!

Which makes this whole thing even stranger!

dallaskd
08-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Ken-Flo is a classy guy and isn't the type to lie about something like this. Probably why he didn't bring it up in the Press Conference.

dbreiden83080
08-22-2008, 08:51 PM
If it is true the refs need to do a better job checking guys coming into the cage. If they need to be wiped down, then see to it they are wiped down.

Evan
08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Ken-Flo is a classy guy and isn't the type to lie about something like this. Probably why he didn't bring it up in the Press Conference.

Yeah but if you're going to say something like this, say it, don't allude to it, make yourself clear. And why didn't he complain during the fight? All he would have to do is complain to the ref and he would have checked Roger.

This is just weird.

Kenny makes a vague accusation way after the fight
Kenny has no proof
Roger can't defend himself with proof
Both fighters look bad

Evan
08-22-2008, 08:55 PM
If it is true the refs need to do a better job checking guys coming into the cage. If they need to be wiped down, then see to it they are wiped down.

Right

dallaskd
08-22-2008, 09:16 PM
who cares, Kenny won anyway and Roger has a bright future in Hanes underwear modeling.

Evan
08-22-2008, 09:22 PM
who cares, Kenny won anyway .........

Right! 100% true!

So why does he bring up these vague statements way after the fact when nothing can be done with it?

Thats the problem.

It makes both of them look bad.

Nobody gains from this except the people who are dead set to hate Roger no matter what he does. Accusing a fighter of greasing is worse than a steroid claim. This is a low blow and I wish he had come out with a full blown accusation DURING the fight instead of vague comments weeks later.

Evan
08-22-2008, 10:41 PM

Every time something comes up where I can throw LEONARD's name out there I take the shot in "the club."

So far I have offerred up one of his spare bed rooms for rent to a medical student in October.

It seems you also own a data recovery service while moonlighting as a private eye

Busy dude!

:violin

dallaskd
08-22-2008, 11:54 PM
lmao

dallaskd
08-23-2008, 12:04 AM
just for kicks...

http://i16.tinypic.com/4pbpf02.jpg

djohn14
08-23-2008, 06:10 AM
Haha thats nice Dallas

LEONARD
08-23-2008, 08:43 AM

I'm been spammed! fucker...funny bit...

Evan
08-23-2008, 08:49 AM
haha.....

Evan
08-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Round two of rumors Tito signs with Affliction.

http://mmabay.co.uk/Story%20OrtizsignswithAffliction.html

Between breaking the bank with Ozzy and Tito I wonder when this "we're not going to over spend anymore" will come into play with them.

dbreiden83080
08-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Round two of rumors Tito signs with Affliction.

http://mmabay.co.uk/Story%20OrtizsignswithAffliction.html

Between breaking the bank with Ozzy and Tito I wonder when this "we're not going to over spend anymore" will come into play with them.

Who's he likely to fight??

Evan
08-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Who's he likely to fight??

If official...who knows.

It was going to be Babalu but he is fighting 3 weeks before Affliction and even if he steam rolls Bobby Southworth (which he should win, not sure about steam roll) all it will take is one good enough punch to get Babalu on a medical suspension. So that rumored fight is heavily in question.

But I wonder if Tito is now willing to sign now that the fight is unlikely so he can get an easier fight.

Can't blame him really...been a long time since he had a W.

As far as Affliction...they have....Ozzy who must cost a fortune along with the other costs of running a show on top of a lot of fighters who now get a PPV percentage. Thats just so much f*cking money...

IF Fedor hadn't hurt his hand I wonder if they would have signed Tito.

dbreiden83080
08-23-2008, 09:27 PM
It is hard to be a Tito fan these days. I want to see him fight, but he can't beat anyone legit anymore. Sucks for me anyway. :depressed

Evan
08-23-2008, 10:01 PM
It is hard to be a Tito fan these days. I want to see him fight, but he can't beat anyone legit anymore. Sucks for me anyway. :depressed

WARNING...BIG RANT COMING :blah

I don't like Tito much...but I am not a hater either. I would like him more if he won more or at least fought more. I'm pretty big on activity but I don't think I ask for too much...2 or 3 legit fights a year that match up to your supposed level of talent. Fight and try to win at least 1 out of 2 and I will love ya...like Sam Stout and Clay Guida. Which is why I am so hard on Fedor and I feel justified (just my opinion of course.)

I kind of look at Tito like Dana. He's just doing his job by running his mouth and stirring sh*t up. It's worked out brilliantly for both of them.

Tito - Its made him a fortune his entire career even well after he stopped winning fights which are either due to declining skills or a rumored ruined back. If he could just somehow get a title again he would be MMA immortal in the eyes of fans even if he lost it after 1 fight.

(Now before I get blasted with my thoughts on Dana read the whole thing :) )

Dana - What he has done is brilliant Public Relations wise. He has effectively funneled nearly all criticism of the UFC, SpikeTV and its fighters directly at him. Nearly every time something goes wrong, no matter what it is, people blame Dana and not the above.

Boring fight? Dana's fault, not the fighters...its his bad match making even though that's Joe Silva's job.
Too many commercials? Dana's fault, not spike.
TUF has a boring season? Dana's fault, not Spike, the fighters and its editing.
Fighters don't get paid enough? Dana's fault, not the budget the Fertitta's have given him.
Etc..... and this list could grow very long...

Now I am not saying he doesn't screw things up and people don't sometimes blame where blame is properly due but making the majority of criticism be directed at him is 100% intentional and by design. And people certainly take the bait at every chance. If you see old interviews with him he isn't like he is today...not near as bad anyway. And recently he has cooled off a bit with his mouth. He needs to be the anti David Stern, Paul Tagliabue etc...the stuffy suited CEO who speaks generically.It wouldn't work if Lorenzo Fertitta was the main guy doing interviews since he is EXACTLY like Stern and Tagliablue.

You just have to ignore Dana and see the results not his quotes. Like Chuck said in his book, "Part of Dana's job is to be a carnival barker"

:soapbox:
*steps off soapbox*

Evan
08-23-2008, 10:19 PM
And yes, I sound like the biggest UFC/Dana nut hugger right there ^^^^^^^^^

And I will defend each of my points and not get butt hurt if someone calls me out harshly.

polandprzem
08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
http://klipsy.pl/Portal/Video.aspx?VideoId=1631

dbreiden83080
08-25-2008, 01:17 PM
http://klipsy.pl/Portal/Video.aspx?VideoId=1631

:lol:toast

polandprzem
08-25-2008, 01:35 PM
http://cyber-sport.us/zalaczniki/jbgetssumtz7_154.gif

http://cyber-sport.us/zalaczniki/2ez08d0_730.jpg

Evan
08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
hahahaaa....aw man...too funny

Evan
08-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Interesting quote below.

He's 32...still has at least another 6 years of prime fighting left if he has taken care of himself.

He's 12-4 but a bad 12-4 as he lost his last 3.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Gan-McGee-273

^^^^^I had to look him up...I had heard the name but it didn't ring a bell as to exactly who it was. If you have seem some high light shows on Spike you have seem glimpses of him.

Former UFC heavyweight contender Gan McGee (or, more specifically, his new promoter) just released his "Top 10 Heavyweight Hit List" via email blast. Let it never be said that "The Giant" doesn't set his sights (unreasonably) high.

10. Johnathan Ivey: "Right off the bat, Ivey is the first man I’ll face in my comeback, and Ivey’s been running his mouth for far too long about how I’m gonna wish I stayed retired. Well, after we’re done fighting, he’ll REALLY wish I stayed retired! Got that, Ivey? I can’t tell you how good it’ll feel to bash that guy right in his damn face. I want him. Now."

9. Tim Sylvia: "Me and Tim have some unfinished business. Nothing against him personally – he’s a nice guy and all – but he flat-out cheated in our fight. Let’s see how he does against me straight-up, with no pharmaceutical enhancements. Let’s find out who the better man really is. I’m ready whenever you are, Tim."

8. Josh Barnett: "For four straight years, I went undefeated – stopping every single opponent in the first round, with just one exception. And that exception was Josh Barnett. We fought in the first-ever Super Heavyweight bout in UFC history, and I rocked him hard in round one. I nearly put him away. But he caught me in round two, winning by TKO due to strikes at 4:34. Josh is a great fighter, and I’d love to rumble with him one more time… ‘cause it sure would feel good to smash him around the cage again!"

7. Kimbo Slice: "I think Kimbo is bad for MMA. Period. And I’m the right man to remove him from the sport for good. Next."

6. Brock Lesnar: "Brock’s a big strong guy and he’d face an interesting challenge for me. He’s got plenty of size and power – and so do I. He has a stellar amateur wrestling background – and I was trained in college by the legendary Dan Gable. It would be a great test for both of us."

5. Cheick Kongo: "This would be an excellent matchup because of our styles. I respect Kongo, and think he’d be the ideal gateway fighter for me to break back into the top-tier of the division."

4. Randy Couture: "I’ve looked up to Randy for many, many years. I met him for the first time when I was just a kid at a wrestling camp. He’s a real good guy. And y’know, because of our age difference and relationship, fighting Randy would be kind of like fighting my Dad… no offense, Randy! But I’d love to do it."

3. Heath Hering: "I faced Herring in Osaka, Japan; it was my first fight since all that controversy went down at UFC 44 with Sylvia, and I took the fight on short notice, losing a split decision. No excuses, though: Herring won, and he’s an exciting, world class fighter. I really hope I get an opportunity to avenge that loss, ‘cause it still bugs me."

2. Fedor Emelianenko: "Why do I want to fight Fedor so badly? Because he’s currently the best heavyweight in the world – and if you don’t want to face the best, you have no business in MMA. Personally, I think this would be a helluva matchup – the kind of fight that would have fans on their feet from beginning to end. I’d have a ten-inch height advantage over Fedor and would fight him as the bigger man, making him fight shorter than he actually is. I’d utilize my reach, making Fedor come to me – and when he comes in close, I’d take him out."

1. Everyone else: "Bring ‘em all on! Look, I didn’t return to MMA just to collect a few paychecks. This is all about my legacy – about finally establishing myself as the number one heavyweight on the planet. When I’m at my best, I know how good I am… and the only one who can stop me is me. I’ve watched all those other heavyweights and believe me, I fear no one. Any time, any place, boys."

lol...good for him. I wish him the best but he better have reinvented himself 20 times over.

dallaskd
08-25-2008, 08:50 PM
wasnt he the guy that bitch slapped Pedro Rizzo in their fight?

Evan
08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
wasnt he the guy that bitch slapped Pedro Rizzo in their fight?

Man...I don't know. If so I want to find the link.

I think I like this guy...I hope the best for him and will keep an eye on him. He probably needs to stay under the radar with Strikeforce for 3 fights. That would be perfect for him.

djohn14
08-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Just some news about the best fighter ever!

Anderson Silva's manager, Ed Soares, recently sat down with MMAWeekly Radio and discussed Silva wanting to take part in more "big fights" for the UFC, including one against Chuck Liddell:

"I think he wants to fight those big mega fights because that's the kind of fight we want to be involved with right now. I think it's a combination of seeing what the potential opponent is and also seeing what the UFC wants to do. At the end of the day, this is a business, and they need to sell fights. They need to sell a lot of pay-per-views, and they need to sell tickets. So, we want to be involved with those types of fights."

"We're not looking past Patrick Cote, but I think we'll take one step at a time and see what happens. But yeah, if a Chuck Liddell fight came up, we'd take it. Whoever the UFC wants to put in front of us, he wants to fight the best, and whoever that may be at the time, that's who he wants to fight."

Soares even mentioned the possibility of Silva competing at the UFC's New Year's Eve show in December:

"If the right fight was to come up for the New Year's fight, maybe we would take it. Right now it's really hard to say, we're pretty much just focused with Anderson on the Oct. 25 fight."

Evan
08-28-2008, 11:48 AM
odd....

Rampage joins the Wolfslair in Liverpool as a new gym.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5155/quinton-rampage-jackson-joins-liverpool-based-wolfslair.mma#comments

I know Bisping has trained with Rampage before but its just odd for him to go overseas especially when he has so many kids.

dallaskd
08-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Filho vs Silva????

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6981&zoneid=3

Evan
08-29-2008, 08:44 AM
KJ Noons brings the gold

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/08/29/kj-noons-releases-explosive-statement-regarding-elitexc/#comments

djohn14
08-29-2008, 09:58 PM
KJ Noons...just...got...stripped...of...the...title!

Evan
08-29-2008, 10:03 PM
KJ Noons...just...got...stripped...of...the...title!

No fucking way? Link?

Evan
08-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Update: Dave Meltzer is now confirming the story:

A source close to Randy Couture has confirmed today that Couture is in negotiations with UFC for a new three-fight deal which would end the nearly nine month legal battle between the two sides.

If the deal is closed, and the source said they are hoping to conclude negotiations and announce the match sometime within the next week, Couture would face Brock Lesnar on 11/15, most likely in Portland, Oregon.

Couture was said to be hoping that if everything went well, the next two fights could involve Fedor, Nogueira, and/or Chuck Liddell. However, all previous hangups involving Emelianenko and UFC remain.

dbreiden83080
08-29-2008, 10:25 PM
"A source close to Randy Couture has confirmed today that Couture is in negotiations with UFC for a new three-fight deal which would end the nearly nine month legal battle between the two sides.

If the deal is closed, and the source said they are hoping to conclude negotiations and announce the match sometime within the next week, Couture would face Brock Lesnar on 11/15, most likely in Portland, Oregon."

Holy Fucking shit, that is news right there. Getting Randy back in the UFC would be great, it's his home, it's where he belongs. Why fight Brock now though?? I thought Brock was maybe going to fight Kongo next. I think Brock could win that fight, but either way it'd be interesting.

Evan
08-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Holy Fucking shit, that is news right there. Getting Randy back in the UFC would be great, it's his home, it's where he belongs. Why fight Brock now though?? I thought Brock was maybe going to fight Kongo next. I think Brock could win that fight, but either way it'd be interesting.

Lesnar is on a huge PR high..he's the real deal...no doubt. Standing and looking capable against Mir and winning vs Herring is nothing short of amazing. He's a HW version of Tito who can actually win.

Thinking about seeing Congo Vs Lesnar gets me excited but Randy Vs Lesnar has me hunched over grunting with my shorts around my ankles wasting DNA.

as a side note to various other match ups...
Well, Mir and Nog are locked up due to tuf

djohn14
08-30-2008, 08:34 AM
No fucking way? Link?

Sorry...I was in shock and didnt really think about it...

http://www.411mania.com/MMA/news/84091/EliteXC-To-Strip-KJ-Noons-Of-The-Lightweight-Title.htm

djohn14
08-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Im not sure if anyone else caught this, but I didnt so...did anyone else know WEC was folding 2 divisions. I knew they were combining them with the UFC, but they are dropping all the fighters not good enough for the UFC.

"While it has been rumored for some time, Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports has confirmed that Zuffa has formally decided to fold the 185 lbs. and 205 lbs. divisions in its World Extreme Cagefighting brand.

Despite the news, there is still no official timetable as to when the WEC will eliminate its middleweight and light heavyweight divisions, as the company is promoting a major middleweight title defense by current champion Paulo Filho against Chael Sonnen on its upcoming Sept. 10 show in Hollywood, Fla.

Once the two divisions are folded, top names such as Filho, former WEC light heavyweight champion Brian Stann, and former NCAA champions Mark Munoz and Jake Rosholt will no doubt cross over into the UFC. However, it appears as though many fringe fighters currently occupying spots in those divisions for the WEC could find themselves looking for a new company to fight for.

In recent months there had also been rumors about the long-term survival of the WEC and whether the entire fight promotion would be merged into the UFC, however, UFC President Dana White stated that isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

“…I can tell you this: It’s not going to go down,” White is quoted.

Another report that had surfaced recently was that the WEC’s television partner, VERSUS, had extended its contract with the promotion and increased the number of events it planned to televise next year. As of now, 10 cards could be televised in 2009 but that could change, especially since, as Iole points out, the number of fighters that will be available to the WEC will decrease by thirty-three percent.

However, where there is a will, there’s a way. If the WEC wants to hold more shows next year, it can do it if Zuffa is willing to invest even more money than it already has. The obvious solution would be for the company to go out and sign even more talent in the welterweight, lightweight, featherweight, and bantamweight divisions. As many great lighter weight fighters that the WEC already has under contract, there are plenty more out there just waiting for a chance to fight on a major platform.

There are also two other options that I believe the WEC should consider.

First, the possibility of adding a flyweight (125 lbs.) division might not be a bad idea. A lot of people might not want to see fighters that small competing, but there were a lot of people who at one time felt that there was no need for MMA to foster bantamweight and featherweight divisions in the United States. If there are good fighters that compete at 125 lbs., then they deserve a shot to compete on the big stage as well.

The other idea is one that has little chance of happening, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t. While White has been cool to the idea of female MMA, I still believe it would be a great fit for the WEC’s brand concept. The WEC employs a purist philosophy when it comes to the fight game and aims to present the best fighters to the general public without any gimmicks or over-the-top marketing.

There are a lot of great female fighters still not signed to the AFL or EliteXC and with Zuffa’s resources, they could build an amazing female fight division over time. Yes, White doesn’t want to see females fighting, but a lot of people do and by adding a female division to the WEC, Zuffa could support it without promoting it under the UFC banner."

The bottom line is that if the WEC wants to do 10 shows next year while still cutting its 205 and 185 lbs. divisions, it’s going to need more fighters.

Evan
08-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Sorry...I was in shock and didnt really think about it...

http://www.411mania.com/MMA/news/84091/EliteXC-To-Strip-KJ-Noons-Of-The-Lightweight-Title.htm

Thanks for that..wow. Good scoop by 411mania.

Not sure where I stand here...

Normally I side with "The Man" on such issues since if you sign a contract you should honor it but it seems like the Shaws screwed him over here. I'm really surprised this happened so fast.

I think Noons should have struck first publicly since such battles end up a PR fight with the fans. Look at the Randy deal...he handled that so bad...he came out with those petty complaints on his blog about how his friends weren't comped free hotel rooms and crap like that.

Evan
08-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Im not sure if anyone else caught this, but I didnt so...did anyone else know WEC was folding 2 divisions. I knew they were combining them with the UFC, but they are dropping all the fighters not good enough for the UFC.

Yeah not sure how this is going to go down. My guess is their waiting on a couple orgs to implode and fill their rosters that way.

Tough thing...Steve Cantwell and Brian Stann are so fun to watch in the WEC since they put on such great shows but they have no place in the UFC talent wise right now. They would get picked clean like a corpse by vultures.

djohn14
08-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah not sure how this is going to go down. My guess is their waiting on a couple orgs to implode and fill their rosters that way.

Tough thing...Steve Cantwell and Brian Stann are so fun to watch in the WEC since they put on such great shows but they have no place in the UFC talent wise right now. They would get picked clean like a corpse by vultures.

I know...Im just waiting to see if Anderson and Paulo will fight each other.

djohn14
08-30-2008, 01:55 PM
With a possible return of Randy Couture to the UFC in the works, might another former disgruntled UFC fighter be ready to follow in his footsteps?

During last night’s airing of “Inside MMA” on HDNet, former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz stated that in addition to being engaged in contract negotiations with Affliction and EliteXC, a return to the UFC still remains a possibility — albeit a remote one.

“EliteXC — possibility. Affliction — possibility. UFC — a small chance of that happening,” the free agent fighter responded when discussing his future options.

Ortiz’s last fight for the promotion took place in May at UFC 84, where he lost a unanimous decision to undefeated light heavyweight sensation Lyoto Machida. After the fight, the long-standing feud between Ortiz and UFC President Dana White continued during a post-fight press conference. However, it sounds as though that Ortiz might finally be ready to move on.

“The things between me and Dana White, I’m shoving it off and moving on with my life,” Ortiz proclaimed.

Whether or not Ortiz and White can work with each other again in spite of their issues remains to be seen, but if a deal is worked out, it wouldn’t be the first time the two did business together while a great deal of animosity existed between the two.

The reality is that much like a free agent in baseball, basketball, or football, Ortiz is going to sign with whichever promotion makes him the best financial offer, irrespective of his personal feelings.

Evan
08-30-2008, 03:29 PM
It was a good show. Inside MMA is turning into a weekly must see.