PDA

View Full Version : Guns everywhere??

ZStomp
05-01-2007, 01:52 PM
What you guys think?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/stategov/stories/MYSA050107.07A.perry_guns.30eddd5.html

Perry would allow carrying guns anywhere

Web Posted: 04/30/2007 11:18 PM CDT

Clay Robison
Austin Bureau

AUSTIN — Gov. Rick Perry said Monday that Texans who are legally licensed to carry concealed handguns should be able to take the weapons anywhere, including churches, bars, courthouses and college campuses.

"I think it makes sense for Texans to be able to protect themselves from deranged individuals, whether they're in church, or whether on a college campus or wherever they are," he said. "The idea that you're going to exempt them from a particular place is nonsense to me."

Perry commented to reporters after he and U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt had met privately with educators, mental health experts and law enforcement officials to discuss the recent shootings at Virginia Tech.

Leavitt and other Cabinet officials are traveling around the country to discuss school and community safety practices in preparation for a report to President Bush.

The governor's remarks aren't likely to result in widespread changes in Texas gun laws, particularly this late in a legislative session that must adjourn by May 28.

But the comments elicited sharp responses, and Perry's stance puts him at odds with a major political ally, the Texas Association of Business, over the right of employers to continue to ban firearms from their property.

"We're not in the Wild West anymore," said Tommie Garza of Houston, executive director of Texans for Gun Safety. "It (the governor's idea) doesn't seem like the sensible thing to do."

Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, who sponsored the concealed handgun law as a state senator in 1995, said he agreed with Perry that "we need more guns in schools in the hands of responsible people."

But he drew the line at carrying firearms into bars.

"People get drunk there, and their aim is not as good," he said.

Current law prohibits the carrying of firearms, even by handgun licensees, into bars, schools, most areas of college campuses and courthouses.

Churches can ban them, if congregations choose, and governmental bodies can prohibit licensees from carrying pistols into public meetings.

Companies also can prohibit their employees from carrying weapons onto their property.

The Senate has approved a bill to allow handgun licensees to leave their weapons hidden and locked up in their cars on company parking lots, but the TAB and many major employers are trying to kill that legislation in the House.

"We think it should be the prerogative of employers or property owners to prohibit guns on their property," TAB President Bill Hammond said.

Travis County Constable Bruce Elfant, who in the past has lobbied the Legislature for background checks and other gun control measures, said he didn't think many law enforcement officials or educators would support the governor's idea.

"Can you imagine guns on college campuses?" he asked.

Signs prohibiting guns don't deter people with "ill intent," Perry said.

Asked about carrying a pistol into a bar, he added, "I think that a person ought to be able to carry that weapon if they are legally licensed to."

The governor responded less clearly when asked whether Texas should submit mental health information on some individuals to a national database used for background checks of people trying to buy firearms.

Seung-Hui Cho, the shooter who killed 32 people and himself at Virginia Tech on April 16, had purchased two handguns, despite having been declared mentally ill.

Senate Bill 1755 by Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, which hasn't yet been heard by a Senate committee, would cover people who have received court-ordered inpatient mental health services or who have been declared mentally incapacitated. But it wouldn't apply to people like Cho, who was a mental health outpatient.

There are privacy requirements under federal law that must be considered, Perry said.

"I think we as a country need to have that discussion about when does public safety overwhelm the need for our privacy, if and when that does occur," he said.

[email protected]

Jimcs50
05-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I will feel a lot safer when everyone has a gun in the bars and classrooms.

Nobody ever gets pissed off in either of those environments, so there will never be anyone pulling a gun on someone when they get pissed off.
:rolleyes

Rick Perry needs to just go suck his boyfriends dick and STFU.

phyzik
05-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I will feel a lot safer when everyone has a gun in the bars and classrooms.

Nobody ever gets pissed off in either of those environments, so there will never be anyone pulling a gun on someone when they get pissed off.

Rick Perry needs to just go suck his boyfriends dick and STFU.

The point is the people that are looking to pull the gun when pissed off would need to think "hey, someone ELSE in here might have a gun." and conciously make the decision to risk being shot in return...

It doesnt mean EVERYONE is going to have a gun... hell, people thought this when they allowed the licence to carry, everyone was supposedly going to be armed to the teeth... Let me tell you, that is, without a doubt, the hardest license a civilian can apply for, much harder than a drivers license.

As of now the only people that have guns in these places are those that you definately dont want to have a gun... case in point, the college shooting.

however, I do agree they should still be banned from bars and workplaces should have the right to allow them or not.

Jimcs50
05-01-2007, 03:20 PM
The point is the people that are looking to pull the gun when pissed off would need to think "hey, someone ELSE in here might have a gun." and conciously make the decision to risk being shot in return...

As of now the only people that have guns in these places are those that you definately dont want to have a gun... case in point, the college shooting.

There would be a lot more killings if everyone had guns, then the amount of times that we can save ourselves from kooks like the Va Tech killer which happens every blue moon.

Imagine all the fights that you see in public, and imagine all the times one of the those involved would get so pissed that he would just pull his gun out and shoot the other dude. I can not count how many teeth that I treat because some young man got his teeth broken off or knocked out when he got hit in the mouth in a bar or on the street over some girl

Hell, I would have killed some dirtbags myself at least 3 times, when they had royally pissed me off, had I been packing heat, because at the time, in the heat of the moment I felt they deserved to get shot.
:)

phyzik
05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
There would be a lot more killings if everyone had guns, then the amount of times that we can save ourselves from kooks like the Va Tech killer which happens every blue moon.

Imagine all the fights that you see in public, and imagine all the times one of the those involved would get so pissed that he would just pull his gun out and shoot the other dude. I can not count how many teeth that I treat because some young man got his teeth broken off or knocked out when he got hit in the mouth in a bar or on the street over some girl

Hell, I would have killed some dirtbags myself at least 3 times, when they had royally pissed me off, had I been packing heat, because at the time, in the heat of the moment I felt they deserved to get shot.
:)

:lol your completely missing the point of LICENSED TO CARRY... the guys that give you the license are specially train in getting rid of those exact people..... tell me one time in recent memory where someone that was LICENSED did anything like you describe?

what your talking about is what being LICENSED is supposed to prevent. Trust me, if you know what it takes to get licensed you would feel BETTER with those people that did get the license around you.

ploto
05-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah- guns in school and church- what a good idea :rolleyes

THE ONE AND ONLY
05-01-2007, 04:58 PM
This is a good idea.
Except in bars.

Useruser666
05-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I think its fine the way it is now. Jim, how many licensed to carry people have committed
crimes with their guns? How many people have used unlicensed or illegally obtained weapons in crimes?

The sone
05-02-2007, 02:35 AM
take em' away from the pinche cops! those pinche-putos do nothing but shoot the "every"-man when hes just trying to teach his girlfriend a lesson!!

on a side note...she shouldnt have ate my pinche esteak!!!

Slomo
05-02-2007, 03:12 AM

Rick Perry needs to just go suck his boyfriends dick and STFU.:lmao

Yeah- guns in school and church- what a good idea :rolleyesYeah, when you put it like that it make so much sense. :lol

The sone
05-02-2007, 04:24 AM
omg!! omg!! ooooh no!! i have one even better... :lol :lol what if...just what if... :lol :lol buahhhahahaha!! ahahaha!!! :p: :lol ...crazy thought here...lol :lol :lol ...what if they let college kids carry them...HAHAHAHAH!!!!!...uh... :oops ...

uhm....

i mean... like va tech wouldnt have happend..well...uh...

well...when you think about it...uh...man...thats tough...

dam...

The sone
05-02-2007, 04:27 AM
of course i know what the arguments will be...

guns dont kill people...

peanutbutter cookies kill people!!!!

i mean its always the guy who has three or four cookies then says hes ok...

then he's out and is like..."imma shoot someone cause i had one too many pb cookies....."....yeah thats it...

bottom line people...

bottom line