PDA

View Full Version : Study shows black players whistled more than whites

lefty
05-02-2007, 12:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2857469

NEW YORK -- An academic study of NBA officiating found that white referees called fouls at a greater rate against black players than against white players, The New York Times reported on its Web site Tuesday night.

The study by a University of Pennsylvania assistant professor and Cornell graduate student also found that black officials called fouls more frequently against white players than black, but noted that that tendency was not as pronounced.

Justin Wolfers, an assistant professor of business and public policy at Penn's Wharton School, and Joseph Price, a Cornell graduate student in economics, said the difference in calls "is large enough that the probability of a team winning is noticeably affected by the racial composition of the refereeing crew."

The study, conducted over a 13-season span through 2004, found that the racial makeup of a three-man officiating crew affected calls by up to 4 1/2 percent.

The study was based on information from publicly available box scores, which show only the referees' names and contain no information about which official made a call.

"We'll reserve comment until we've had the chance to review the article," NBA spokesman Tim Frank told The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

The Times said the NBA did its own study, and commissioner David Stern was quoted as saying the league's report "demonstrates that there is no bias."

The NBA's study, using data from November 2004 to January 2007, was based on information that included which official made each call. The NBA denied a request by Wolfers and Price to obtain that information, citing its confidentiality agreement with the officials.

Wolfers and Price are set to present the paper at meetings of the Society of Labor Economists on Friday and the American Law and Economics Association on Sunday. The Times said they will then submit it to the National Bureau of Economic Research and for formal peer review before consideration by an economic journal.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

dg7md
05-02-2007, 12:45 AM
There's 10 times the amount of black players than white ones. Obviously.

Fillmoe
05-02-2007, 12:46 AM
i was gonna post this until i realized what doghouse just stated.......

DarrinS
05-02-2007, 12:47 AM
The NBA is obviously racist. Has anyone else noticed that caucasians are under-represented in the NBA?

We need some affirmative action. :rolleyes

lefty
05-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Obviously

But maybe they took that in consideration ; they may have used ratios

TampaDude
05-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Let's just not have any refs...that would be fun, wouldn't it???

schadenfreude52
05-02-2007, 12:50 AM
The NBA is obviously racist. Has anyone else noticed that caucasians are under-represented in the NBA?

:lol :lol :lol

YoMamaIsCallin
05-02-2007, 10:19 AM

I know you're kidding but there was actually a whole special on "reverse racism" in the NBA a couple of years back. I think it was on "between the lines", maybe?

Anyway the thing I remember is that they interviewed Steve Kerr quite a bit. He talked about sitting on the bench with Antonio Daniels and playing a game where they deliberately exaggerated racial stereotypes. Every time a black player made a good play Kerr would say "Look at that athleticsm!", and when a white player made a good play Daniels would say "What an intelligent player!", and variations on that theme.

Another form of stereotyping is the "what player is he like?" game. If you always name white players like a white player, or black players like a black player, you are stereotyping. For example, I always say Tim Duncan reminds me so much of Kevin McHale on offense. The similarity is obvious to me. But few people come up with this, because of the difference in skin colors.

It's like the old story about the father and son in a car accident, the father dies and the son is critically injured, they rush him to the hospital and are about to operate, the surgeon walks in and says "I can't operate on this boy, he's my son", and the question is how can this be? The answer, obviously, is the surgeon is his mother. But people don't come up with that answer because they have a stereotypical surgeon in mind and can't get past it.

monosylab1k
05-02-2007, 10:23 AM
that settles it, the next NBA trend is coming.

Nobody will care about getting athletic guys to run and gun, or getting a shooting Euro, or a dominant center and defense....

15 white guys. the next NBA dynasty is on it's way.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-02-2007, 10:23 AM
There's 10 times the amount of black players than white ones. Obviously.

Interestingly, the numbers are changing, because of the Euro and Latino influx. Thus giving the lie to the racial stereotyping that blacks are naturally better than whites at basketball.

In baseball, the story is that there are much fewer African-American players in the majors than in the past, and it's the same story, many more Latino players taking their places.

DarrinS
05-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I wish these kinds of threads would just die.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-02-2007, 10:26 AM
that settles it, the next NBA trend is coming.

Nobody will care about getting athletic guys to run and gun, or getting a shooting Euro, or a dominant center and defense....

15 white guys. the next NBA dynasty is on it's way.

Bill Simmons of ESPN has a term for this: a "Whiteout" is when you play five white players at the same time.

I've seen the Spurs do this on occasion. They have five white players (Beno, Barry, Oberto, Ginobili, and Bonner) and I've seen them all on the court a couple of times. Once they even basically brought the Spurs back into contention when they were way behind, a game the Spurs ended up winning.

Chr!s Childs
05-02-2007, 12:28 PM
umm, one thing they seem to be missing............the majority of refs are white, and the majority of players are black.........OF COURSE white refs are gonna call more fouls on black players! like 75% of refs are white and 75% of players are black!

Slinkyman
05-02-2007, 01:45 PM
white players are soft and play no d, for example dirk and steve nash.

Bibby_Gurl
05-02-2007, 02:33 PM
So? That's kind of true, nothing to make a big deal out of. Black players foul more anyways.

mardigan
05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Next they should do a study to see how many white players in the NFL get flags thrown on them as opposed to black ones, studys like this dont prove shit.
R.O.Y-black
D.P.O.Y.-Black
M.I.P.-black
All Defensive 1st and 2nd teams-1 white guy
Yea, the NBA sure is prejudiced
This is a slap in the face to every ref in the league, I would be pissed if I was a ref

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Charles Barkley's perspective on this on Dan Patrick's show earlier today was totally poetic:
"That's like saying that fat people eat more than skinny people!"!!!!
:lol

LEONARD
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
This study is garbage, as pointed out by Hitzges on The Ticket in Dallas...

The important piece of info that is missing is WHICH ref called the foul. They did the study from box scores, which doesn't tell which ref made the call. So in 2/3 of the games, they don't know if a black or white ref called the foul...

Junk...

ChumpDumper
05-03-2007, 11:12 AM
"Honestly, it's unfair to the referees," Iverson said of the study. "I don't know what idiot said that."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_5805847

DarrinS
05-03-2007, 11:17 AM
If Steve Javie and Dan Crawford both call a foul on Rasheed Wallace at the same time, who is "credited" with calling the foul?

This study has SERIOUS flaws.

alamo50
05-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Only in America............

cornbread
05-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Did they also explore trends in a player salaries? I bet white players are paid at a higher rate than black players. Fuckin racist NBA.