PDA

View Full Version : Are Spurs fans scared of meeting the Mavs in the playoffs?

flipcritic
05-02-2007, 04:28 AM
Now hear me out.

I love this forum. It's a terrific site to visit when you want to see the agony of fans (SA or otherwise) waiting to see if their teams win or not. But judging by the venom of Spurs fans' tirades (for whatever reason, be it Cuban or last year's Game 7 loss), I feel that it really shows one thing... we don't want to face them in the next round (if we get there).

I'm not trying to insult all of you die hard supporters, because I too am one. Early on in the season I was confident that SA would end up with the best record, and that the Mavs (with their depth and recent postseason success) would be close. It didn't turn out that way (no biggie), but I was greatly surprised by how the Mavs dominated throughout the season. Yes the Spurs are older and probably wiser due to more playoff success. But when the Mavs had to win their games this season, they did so (can you say the same for SA?), with or without Dirk. It really reminded me of the way Chicago dominated in the late 90s. It kind of scared me actually, to think that this could be their time.

We don't feel this way about the Pistons and their ilk, because hey, they pummelled the hated Lakers in 2004 (who we always believe are the lowest species of life on the planet other than Cuban), they play with the same no nonsense attitude, and because the Spurs beat them in 05. Hence quietly, but maybe not consciously, we like the Pistons and their fans, because we believe they're like us, but not as good.

It's not the same with Dallas obviously. I haven't been a fan long enough to know the long history between both teams. But we all love to hate Mark Cuban for his stupidity and arrogance. For some reason most Spurs fans hate Avery Johnson, calling him a traitor (though I believe the Spurs organization still treats him like family off the court). But the main reason why it has reached its climax now (with most of us rooting for the Warriors all of a sudden), is because we lost to them last year. Yeah, yeah, it was due to a dumb Manu foul. But Dirk delivered regardless. And in OT Dallas settled it. Not SA. No biggie. It was their time. And please please please, don't start with the refs.

I know the vitriol won't stop dripping. This forum is for fans (fanatics). Let your passions continue. But I'd like every other non-SA fans to know that most of the foul-spewing filth that arises out of these recently heated moments are not shared by all Spurs fans.

Dallas deserves respect (though I'm shocked and admittedly pleased they're not dominating the way I expected to). A part of me wants them to lose out of fear that they just might pull off beating SA again. But another part is rooting for them too. Why? Because they're not as evil as we make them out to be (Most Mavs fans view us in exactly the same way we do them). And because I'd like to see who the best team really is.

You can dump on me now. Let the best team(s) keep on winning.

L.I.T
05-02-2007, 04:48 AM
First, we don't face them in the next round, we face the winner of the Suns/Lakers. We would face them in the Western Conference Finals.

Second, since you readily admit you haven't been around, as long as I've been a fan there has always been a rivalry between the two teams...always.

Third, you offer no support for your thesis. We don't like them, so we must be scared of them? Applying that logic: I don't like Domino's Pizza. As a matter of fact, I hate their pizza. With a passion. Seriously. So that means I'm scared of Domino's Pizza. I mean, it must be because of their 30 minute or free guarantee right?

Jesus...dude, guess what, it's called a rivalry...say it with me...RIVALRY. My god, if there isn't vitriol, anger, cursing or name-calling, then it's not a rivalry...it's a fucking tea party. It's what makes it fun.

Don't foist you're whiny, ass-kissing, fearful little neuroses on the other fans here. To paraphrase a Mavfan (heresy!): it seems you have an issue, here's a tissue.

Either that or you're just buttering up the Mavs fans for when we eventually meet in the playoffs (say it with me WCF), which is just even more pathetic.

naico
05-02-2007, 04:50 AM
I respect the mavs as a basketball team, as competitors, i respect their talent and their love for the game and i respect their coaching. However i don't respect most individuals playing for that team, i don't respect them as sportsmen. They don't respect their adversaries and they display a lot of arrogance. Thats the main reason why i'm rooting for the warriors in this serie and thats why i'm enjoying the fact that these mavericks are struggling against them. I am certainly not scared of meeting them in the conference finals, i'm even hungry for this to happen, so we can set the record straight. I wouldn't mind if they'd lose against the warriors but i would love to meet them again in a few weeks.

flipcritic
05-02-2007, 04:54 AM
First, we don't face them in the next round, we face the winner of the Suns/Lakers. We would face them in the Western Conference Finals.

Second, since you readily admit you haven't been around, as long as I've been a fan there has always been a rivalry between the two teams...always.

Third, you offer no support for your thesis. We don't like them, so we must be scared of them? Applying that logic: I don't like Domino's Pizza. As a matter of fact, I hate their pizza. With a passion. Seriously. So that means I'm scared of Domino's Pizza. I mean, it must be because of their 30 minute or free guarantee right?

Jesus...dude, guess what, it's called a rivalry...say it with me...RIVALRY. My god, if there isn't vitriol, anger, cursing or name-calling, then it's not a rivalry...it's a fucking tea party. It's what makes it fun.

Don't foist you're whiny, ass-kissing, fearful little neuroses on the other fans here. To paraphrase a Mavfan (heresy!): it seems you have an issue, here's a tissue.

Either that or you're just buttering up the Mavs fans for when we eventually meet in the playoffs (say it with me WCF), which is just even more pathetic.

Yes sir!

L.I.T
05-02-2007, 04:55 AM
Yes sir!

:lol

flipcritic
05-02-2007, 04:59 AM
:lol

Seriously though I agree with most of the things you said. I used to think that the tirades here we're getting out of hand. But that's what makes this site so great. All of those pent up emotions released.

Still though, I feel for all the fans (ours and the others) getting beat up on (when they don't deserve it). I live through the bashers. :D

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-02-2007, 05:04 AM
I respect the mavs as a basketball team, as competitors, i respect their talent and their love for the game and i respect their coaching. However i don't respect most individuals playing for that team, i don't respect them as sportsmen. They don't respect their adversaries and they display a lot of arrogance. Thats the main reason why i'm rooting for the warriors in this serie and thats why i'm enjoying the fact that these mavericks are struggling against them. I am certainly not scared of meeting them in the conference finals, i'm even hungry for this to happen, so we can set the record straight. I wouldn't mind if they'd lose against the warriors but i would love to meet them again in a few weeks.

Here, Here!

After today's game, the Mavs I respect: Diop and, whoever the 13th man is.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-02-2007, 05:07 AM
Seriously though I agree with most of the things you said. I used to think that the tirades here we're getting out of hand. But that's what makes this site so great. All of those pent up emotions released.

Still though, I feel for all the fans (ours and the others) getting beat up on (when they don't deserve it). I live through the bashers. :D
It's kind of a place for catharsis.
Like take my feelings on Dirk for example, during the game, the truth comes out and he's a fucking soft ass pussy! who trips himself to get the foul call! :madrun

after every post-presser with Dirk, I go, "eh, I guess he's not so bad. :lol"

L.I.T
05-02-2007, 05:09 AM

Ha, yup, I agree with you. But honestly, sometimes it seems that posters are hardest on the idiot posters who are fans of the same team.

Jeez, couldn't figure out a simple way to say that. Oh well, I'll throw in the obligatory stuff now: Spurs locked for 4!!! and, Mavs suck! Oh yes, and the last one: Cuban's a pussy!

Done.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2007, 05:27 AM
I used to love the Mavs, but I hate most of their post-Reunion Arena bandwagon fans that I've encountered - assholes who don't know anything about basketball - and the owner responsible for turning Dallas into crybaby town full of bad sportsmanship while spewing personal attacks at a classy organization from a neighboring city. I'm perfectly content to see them in the WCF, should the Spurs get that far. It just makes it more satisfying to see them completely humiliated in a historic fashion.

Dizzle
05-02-2007, 05:39 AM
id be more scared of the refs. anyone go to game 2 last year? the refs were atrocious. id never seen spurs fans so crazy.. we were acting like boston or new yorkers out there with the way the refs were calling the game.

WalterBenitez
05-02-2007, 06:23 AM
afraid of what!?
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Bruno
05-02-2007, 06:29 AM
No.

samikeyp
05-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Why would I be afraid? I don't have to guard Dirk.

I don't think the Spurs are afraid either.

Ocotillo
05-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Let's get through Denver first, that job is not done.

Then the second round has another opponent, probably Phoenix who ain't too shabby.

If Dallas can come back from their current deficit and we both end up in the WCF, I as a fan am not afraid but excited to avenge last year's loss.

Obstructed View put it very well how I feel. It is positive that Texas' three teams are all capable of competing for the ring.

ponky
05-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Stackhouse was mentioned on the latest episode of "The Sopranos," hitting a 3-pointer at the buzzer to give the Mavs a win over the Spurs, costing lead character Tony Soprano a big wad of cash. Stackhouse found out about it from his brother. Laughing, he said: "I better watch my neck. I'd rather be on Tony's side, not against him."

from espn.com article about game five mavs/warriors series

DarrinS
05-02-2007, 07:56 AM
I, for one, WANT a rematch. But Dallas has to EARN their right to be there, as do the Spurs.

Jimcs50
05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Bring it on.

:smokin

conversekid
05-02-2007, 08:23 AM
No fear. I wanted Dallas to beat GS at first... but the humiliation of them losing to an 8th seed is just too sweet.

steppy
05-02-2007, 08:40 AM
No, I've changed my stance. I want the Spurs to meet up with the Mavs this year. I want someone to knock Harris on his ass before he has the chance to make his stupid little scowls after every bucket.

johnut32
05-02-2007, 08:44 AM
I think there are some Spurs fans who are scared of a Mavs/Spurs series. In fact, I think some have admitted as such.

On the other hand, a good number of Mavs fans are overconfident against the Spurs because of last season and our season series this year. Most reasonable fans would agree that the season series could have easily been 2-2 or possibly 3-1 the other way. We all know last season's playoff series could have gone either way.

Of course, it really is a non-issue if GS closes us out Thursday.

spursfan09
05-02-2007, 08:46 AM
The fact that this 67 win team can lose to the number 8 team is just so intriguing... but I still the think the Spurs can beat the Mavs no matter what.

SAGambler
05-02-2007, 08:48 AM

Seems like everytime they start getting frustrated, they take it out by some pulling some stupid shit, like Terry and his body slam of Davis on the floor last night. I was actually hoping he would be suspended today for his actions for the remainder of the season. He is a no class punk, who thinks he is entitled to win.

Then we have the MVP who seems like he is scared to shoot during crunch time. Finally put one up last night....Well two....But if the first one doesn't fall, he never takes the second one. Not only is Dirk not the MVP of the league, he isn't even the best player on the team. Howard is the only one that kept them from getting their asses blown out last night. At least he doesn't flop on the floor and hope he gets to the free throw line. That's seems to be about the only way Dirk knows how to score anymore. What a joke the guy is. However, he is good at kicking inanimate objects.

Borosai
05-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Clearly, the Mavs are the Spurs' biggest obstacle to another championship, but I don't think anyone is scared. It would be another great series.

spursfan09
05-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Seems like everytime they start getting frustrated, they take it out by some pulling some stupid shit, like Terry and his body slam of Davis on the floor last night. I was actually hoping he would be suspended today for his actions for the remainder of the season. He is a no class punk, who thinks he is entitled to win.

Then we have the MVP who seems like he is scared to shoot during crunch time. Finally put one up last night....Well two....But if the first one doesn't fall, he never takes the second one. Not only is Dirk not the MVP of the league, he isn't even the best player on the team. Howard is the only one that kept them from getting their asses blown out last night. At least he doesn't flop on the floor and hope he gets to the free throw line. That's seems to be about the only way Dirk knows how to score anymore. What a joke the guy is. However, he is good at kicking inanimate objects.

I agree about Josh Howard being the MVP of the Mavs. he was the only one in the game the whole time. He was the reason why they had hope I think.

hater
05-02-2007, 08:54 AM
I would love to meet Dallas in the WCF. unfortunately, this won't happen because GS will win game 6. too bad.

Russ
05-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Dallas is a tough match for the Spurs (for whatever reason.) If the Mavs go on to beat the Spurs in the WCF, we will all probably look back on last night's game as a watershed moment -- a turning point. Had the Warriors not blown a 9 point lead in the last minutes, the Spurs would have won the title, etc. . .

This is also a chance for the Mavs to regain their swagger. Most teams never recover from a monumental choke like the Mavs' collapse against Miami last year. They will be more dangerous than ever if they come back on GS.

That said, let's hope the Mavs fall short next game and put all these arguments to rest. :)

tlongII
05-02-2007, 09:14 AM
The Spurs won't beat the Suns so the question is irrelevant.

ATXSPUR
05-02-2007, 09:17 AM
I called BS after the second paragraph.

DarrinS
05-02-2007, 09:20 AM

Suns are much easier for the Spurs than the Mavs.

Next.

ATXSPUR
05-02-2007, 09:22 AM

moron

Ronaldo McDonald
05-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I would rather the Spurs take the harder road (which I believe the Mavs are on) than the easier one (with GS) and lose than have the opposite happen. The joy of sports in general is its unpredictability and suspense. I'm committed to the Spurs no matter what but I'm just as satisfied watching them do well as I am watching two of the best teams in the NBA square off in what has become a great rivalry. Think of it like this: The bad thoughts of the Spurs' slightly increased chance of losing that sereis is offset by the thought of them beating a great team, and overcoming the (possibe) odds that are against them. Nothing better than that.

If my life depended on the Spurs (which is how you sound) I might rereason why I watch basketball. until then my penis is at the core of my happiness, with nothing gaining any ground as long as long as it stays intact. Yea even the Spurs.

Rummpd
05-02-2007, 11:24 AM
No = period. This Spurs team with Finley and Horry playing well will destroy the Mavs - Mark it down over in 6, after the Spurs take at least one in Dallas right up front, and then win it in SA.

Plus believe me every team in the league is looking at how to beat the Mavs - drive, drive and drive (and occassionally dish) and Manu and Parker will turn it on.

Dave McNulla
05-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Now hear me out.

I love this forum. It's a terrific site to visit when you want to see the agony of fans (SA or otherwise) waiting to see if their teams win or not. But judging by the venom of Spurs fans' tirades (for whatever reason, be it Cuban or last year's Game 7 loss), I feel that it really shows one thing... we don't want to face them in the next round (if we get there).

I'm not trying to insult all of you die hard supporters, because I too am one. Early on in the season I was confident that SA would end up with the best record, and that the Mavs (with their depth and recent postseason success) would be close. It didn't turn out that way (no biggie), but I was greatly surprised by how the Mavs dominated throughout the season. Yes the Spurs are older and probably wiser due to more playoff success. But when the Mavs had to win their games this season, they did so (can you say the same for SA?), with or without Dirk. It really reminded me of the way Chicago dominated in the late 90s. It kind of scared me actually, to think that this could be their time.

We don't feel this way about the Pistons and their ilk, because hey, they pummelled the hated Lakers in 2004 (who we always believe are the lowest species of life on the planet other than Cuban), they play with the same no nonsense attitude, and because the Spurs beat them in 05. Hence quietly, but maybe not consciously, we like the Pistons and their fans, because we believe they're like us, but not as good.

It's not the same with Dallas obviously. I haven't been a fan long enough to know the long history between both teams. But we all love to hate Mark Cuban for his stupidity and arrogance. For some reason most Spurs fans hate Avery Johnson, calling him a traitor (though I believe the Spurs organization still treats him like family off the court). But the main reason why it has reached its climax now (with most of us rooting for the Warriors all of a sudden), is because we lost to them last year. Yeah, yeah, it was due to a dumb Manu foul. But Dirk delivered regardless. And in OT Dallas settled it. Not SA. No biggie. It was their time. And please please please, don't start with the refs.

I know the vitriol won't stop dripping. This forum is for fans (fanatics). Let your passions continue. But I'd like every other non-SA fans to know that most of the foul-spewing filth that arises out of these recently heated moments are not shared by all Spurs fans.

Dallas deserves respect (though I'm shocked and admittedly pleased they're not dominating the way I expected to). A part of me wants them to lose out of fear that they just might pull off beating SA again. But another part is rooting for them too. Why? Because they're not as evil as we make them out to be (Most Mavs fans view us in exactly the same way we do them). And because I'd like to see who the best team really is.

You can dump on me now. Let the best team(s) keep on winning.
the soonest, most embarrasing loss the mavs can get, regardless if it's the spurs or rockets or warriors, is the best embarrassment the mavs can get.

i felt the same about the lakers in 2003. i loved that the spurs got to knock them out of the playoffs, but i'd have been happy with the wolves having done it.

George Gervin's Afro
05-02-2007, 11:36 AM
no. :nope

longrod
05-02-2007, 11:54 AM
No one's scared. I just happen to hate that whiny little bitch coach of theirs and that strudelface whose mouth is always gaping like he is feeding on the insects that fly by. And their owner is an annoying dork. But I really have no major problems with the rest of the Mavs as they are too average for that.

Man of Steel
05-02-2007, 11:59 AM
I probably am among the most calm, most dignified writers in this web.

(LOL!).

Hey buddy--we hate the Mavs.

We love their misery.

The enemy of my enemy is my best friend.

mardigan
05-02-2007, 12:01 PM
:lol The hate runs deep in this one

Spurs fans are scared of Father Time and thats about it, any other team is probably more scared to play the Spurs than we are to play them.

ehz33satx
05-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Why would 3X champions be afraid of the Mavs? What the heck have the Mavs accomplished? Most Mavs fans have only been fans for 4 to 6 years, their love for their team does not go back many many years. They think they are entitled to the Larry O'Brien trophy, but then every year their team flames out! Mavs players, owner, and fans have no respect for anyone. Scared of them? Not even close!

mabber
05-02-2007, 12:23 PM
It's quite obvious that many are.

johnut32
05-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Today's posts by spurs fans CERTAINLY confirm the original posters thoughts.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-02-2007, 12:35 PM
It's quite obvious that many are.

They seem pretty vulnerable right now. Believe me Pop is taking notes. I don't think anyone is scared. The Mavs haven't done shit. Ever. and untill they do--this includes beating a Spurs team with a HEALTHY Duncan and Ginobili, and proving that they don't choke--they aren't shit in my book.

spursfan09
05-02-2007, 12:35 PM
I think most spurs fans feel the way I do. Would love to have a rematch, because the Spurs need redemption for last year. On the other hand a 67 win team like the Mavs losing to an 8 seed? Dude that would completly confirm that the Mavs are the biggest chokers in NBA history. Especially since many Mavs fans around here like to guarentee championships when their team has not even shown they have what it takes to win one.

easjer
05-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Eh.

I'd rather not play them. I'd rather have peace at night and easy wins. Maybe that makes me not hardcore. Don't care. Everytime it's close, I get tense and my heart races and I am worried about my blood pressure. I'm not sure what I will do when I am pregnant.

Scared of meetint them, though? No. Never bought into the hype that they were clearly over the Spurs hump (just like I haven't bought they hype that we are too old and washed up to be serious contenders). We managed to push them to a game 7 after being down 3-1. They got a lot of help from the refs in that series and capitalized on some bad play by the Spurs (small ball, Van Ex, anyone?), and the Spurs were still 1 stupid foul away from their 4th title.

I think that stuff is largely fixed. We've got a better second team, more variety. Manu and Tony and Tim are healthy and playing well. Finley won't be screwed up in the head this time.

I'm totally ready if we have to play them. We'll beat them.

George Gervin's Afro
05-02-2007, 12:37 PM

Yeah you got us. That 7 game series last year really showed how much better the Mavs were/are than the Spurs..we have zero chance of beating dork and the boys.. :rolleyes

Ronaldo McDonald
05-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Some of you mavs fans are fucking retarded. You guys are still choking. Your're down 2-3; you guys were supposedly going to sweep them weren't you?

mardigan
05-02-2007, 12:40 PM
How so? because we think that GS was robbed? Doesnt have anything to do with the Spurs, most of us are basketball fans and as such, know when a team gets jobbed. Maybe before the GS series I was a little worried about the Mavs, but now?? Pfff, you got to be kidding me. If the Warriors have done nothing else they have exposed numerous chinks in the armor

johnut32
05-02-2007, 12:40 PM
They seem pretty vulnerable right now. Believe me Pop is taking notes. I don't think anyone is scared. The Mavs haven't done shit. Ever. and untill they do--this includes beating a Spurs team with a HEALTHY Duncan and Ginobili, and proving that they don't choke--they aren't shit in my book.

hmmmm...I seem to remember winning the Western Conference Championship last year. Remind me, which key spurs player didn't play in that series? I think the only key player to miss a game in that series was the Mav's Terry in game 6.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Gino was tired (from playing for his country) and duncan had ankle problems.

George Gervin's Afro
hmmmm...I seem to remember winning the Western Conference Championship last year. Remind me, which key spurs player didn't play in that series? I think the only key player to miss a game in that series was the Mav's Terry in game 6.

:sleep

johnut32
How so? because we think that GS was robbed? Doesnt have anything to do with the Spurs, most of us are basketball fans and as such, know when a team gets jobbed. Maybe before the GS series I was a little worried about the Mavs, but now?? Pfff, you got to be kidding me. If the Warriors have done nothing else they have exposed numerous chinks in the armor

Thats interesting, in another thread you admitted to being biased since you are a spurs fan. Following your lead, that means your opinion is worthless and you're not just a "basketball fan".

johnut32
05-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Gino was tired (from playing for his country) and duncan had ankle problems.

Did they play?

spursfan09
05-02-2007, 12:44 PM

Yup the Mavs are the defending Western conf champions! Can't argue with that. :rolleyes

Maybe Mavs fans don't get it, but most NBA fans don't see that, they just remember the Mavs choking after being up 2-0 and the Heat winning the title.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-02-2007, 12:45 PM

And what is winning the WCC once? Spurs have done it repeteadly. They deserve a bit more respect from you guys. Oh well, I guess having you guys think you're going to win without any comp. is better in the end. Thes win will be that much better.

spursfan09
05-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Did they play?

I agree with you, Spurs have no excuses..

Ronaldo McDonald
05-02-2007, 12:46 PM
yea, they played hurt, which was my point. For a whole season.

mardigan
05-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Thats interesting, in another thread you admitted to being biased since you are a spurs fan. Following your lead, that means your opinion is worthless and you're not just a "basketball fan".

Its a Spurs board Chief, of course most people on it are biased

You have serious reading problems. When did I ever state that I personally was biased? All I said was that it was a SPurs forum so of course most people on it were biased. I have stated many times that I dont think Terry should be suspended and that I thought Davis might have flopped, so maybe you should read a little more before you call peoples opinions worthless pendejo. If you want to be consoled go to a Mav board

johnut32
05-02-2007, 12:51 PM
You have serious reading problems. When did I ever state that I personally was biased? All I said was that it was a SPurs forum so of course most people on it were biased. I have stated many times that I dont think Terry should be suspended and that I thought Davis might have flopped, so maybe you should read a little more before you call peoples opinions worthless pendejo. If you want to be consoled go to a Mav board

Apologies...I was mistaken

mardigan
05-02-2007, 12:52 PM
No problem

johnut32
05-02-2007, 12:53 PM
And what is winning the WCC once? Spurs have done it repeteadly. They deserve a bit more respect from you guys. Oh well, I guess having you guys think you're going to win without any comp. is better in the end. Thes win will be that much better.

I respect the Spurs immensely and haven't seen too many Mavs posters who don't.

jmard5
05-02-2007, 01:01 PM
No. Bring them on. :hungry:

johnut32
05-02-2007, 01:04 PM
I respect the Spurs immensely and haven't seen too many Mavs posters who don't.

I'd also like to add that I think the respect thing is a two way street. The Mavs do not have as rich a history as the Spurs but they have put together some good seasons which deserve respect. Claiming they haven't done shit is disrespectful.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
I'd also like to add that I think the respect thing is a two way street. The Mavs do not have as rich a history as the Spurs but they have put together some good seasons which deserve respect. Claiming they haven't done shit is disrespectful.
The Mavs haven't done shit.

spursfan09
05-02-2007, 01:07 PM

I respect the Mavs because they are a good team that can beat anybody. I'll even respect them even more if they win against GS, because even Mav fans have to admit that so far they are pulling off one of the biggest choke jobs yet.

mardigan
05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Most people say the same shit about the Suns, or Peyton Manning before this last year. If your team hasnt won anything, your going to keep hearing they havent done shit until they do

johnut32
05-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Most people say the same shit about the Suns, or Peyton Manning before this last year. If your team hasnt won anything, your going to keep hearing they havent done shit until they do

I'd argue they have for a relatively young organization and team. Everything is in front of them.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I'd argue they have for a relatively young organization and team. Everything is in front of them.
Everything is in front of them because they have nothing notable in their past but underachievement and playoff failure. Case in point: their fans are on the message board of a team they beat the previous year in the second round, just to gloat.

Just because you've only been rooting for them for a couple of years doesn't mean they didn't exist before then. Maybe the Mavs can unfurl that midwest division banner the first time the Grizzlies are in town.

johnut32
05-02-2007, 01:24 PM
I like this board because it has a ton of traffic and some good basketball conversation (obviously, you are an exception). You'll hear none seriously argue that the Mavs have a richer history than the Spurs. It's because of that history that the Spurs have such a loyal fanbase. Congrats.

I've been a fan of the Mavs for all my 27 years on this earth. Yes, most of those years were disappointing. However, we've got a good young team, that hopefully has some championships in store.

ATRAIN
05-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Hey Flip, im going to try and be nice since you are a spurs fan, but I have to ask you. Have you ever been to a Spurs vs Mavs game. Even at home the Mavs fans are Jerks!! If you also notice in the media and all around the league, the spurs are probably one of the most hated teams(which I dont understand with the class that our players show), so us as fans get labeled as well. We root for Golden State because yes we dont like the Mavs and after we got screwed last year and yes I know you said not to mention the refs but it is kind of hard not too. Ok the Manu foul was dumb, but what about the no call when Dirk was ALL over him on the next shot. I didnt really care for the mavs too much, but now I hate them more than the Lakers!! I dont hate Avery but its very nice to see another coach do to him what he did to us last year. Avery knew the system, players, and the way Pop coaches and used that to his advantage, so why not cheer for another coach/team that is doing the same thing back to them in Goldenstate/Nelly. You know what they say about payback. Yes I would love to face them again just so I wont have to live to hear the stupid Mavs fan say, well the only reason your champs is cause we lost in the 1st round. Oh yeah and you speak about regular season wins, well you should know that all that matters is what you do in playoffs. Think about it this way, if we rode Duncan the way we used too, there is no way the Mavs would have had a better record than us. We rested our guns as much as possible for what you are seeing now which is another championship without the stupid mavs to screw us again. GO WARRIORS!!!!