PDA

View Full Version : Winning vs. Closing

conversekid
05-02-2007, 07:32 AM
The Warriors have shown they know how to win a playoff game; however, do they know how to close a series? Do they have the killer instinct to put a team away? I didn't see it last night. I saw a lot of heart to get back in the game, but up 9 with the clock ticking away, they folded. The decision to start running iso plays to run the clock killed them. If it's the Spurs/Mavs/Suns, yes, run the iso and kill the clock. The Warriors can't play that way. If they take their foot off the gas and slow down, they lose. They needed to continue pressing the ball and playing loose and free. Will the warriors have the killer instinct Friday night? Do they have what it takes to close a series?

101A
05-02-2007, 07:38 AM
No, they don't. But in Oakland, the Mavs might have what it takes to finish the choke.

boutons_
05-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Who on the Warriors has been past the first round in the playoffs? Nellie, SJAx

Has any other Warrior even been in the playoffs?

The Warriors had a great end to the season (but not anywhere near as good a run as the Spurs) and have had a hell of a lot of fun in the their first playoff run in many years.

I still think the crowd and the Warriors will prevail in Game6.

If the Warriors get past the Mavs, I think they can get past Rockets or Jazz.

What's missing on the Warriors is cool heads, a steady hand. Baron, SJax, JRich will have to keep cool and play smarter.

spursfan09
05-02-2007, 08:52 AM
GS should do a better job, at home with their own crowd cheering them on.

CubanMustGo
05-02-2007, 09:01 AM
What's missing on the Warriors is cool heads, a steady hand. Baron, SJax, JRich will have to keep cool and play smarter.

And not foul out/get thrown out. Interesting "coincidence" that both games Dallas won this series came when B-diddy and Sjax were off the court thanx to the refs at the end of the game. Hopefully calmer heads prevail in Game 6.

How many techs do you get in the playoffs before the automatic one game suspensions start, anyway?

GrandeDavid
05-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I was really disappointed to read that Golden State had wasted a nine point late lead. Damnit!! What a f-ing choke job.

hater
05-02-2007, 09:28 AM
even Reggie miller(who sucks) was saying that GS should try to hold the lead and stop chucking 3s, when they had the 9pt lead. they had no gameplan whatsoever to keep the lead. they giftwrapped the win for the mavs

conversekid
05-02-2007, 09:32 AM
even Reggie miller(who sucks) was saying that GS should try to hold the lead and stop chucking 3s, when they had the 9pt lead. they had no gameplan whatsoever to keep the lead. they giftwrapped the win for the mavs

Well, Reggie was wrong. They started iso plays to run the clock and look what happened.

hater
05-02-2007, 09:33 AM
nope. they were looking to score more(penetrate or shoot 3s). when they should have taken it easy and concentrate on the defensive side.

conversekid
05-02-2007, 09:44 AM
when they had the lead, they stopped playing their style of ball... they were running iso plays at the top of the 3 point line... that is when they fell apart. taking it easy is not what got them the lead or the previous 3 wins... GS doesn't know how to play that way - which is why they fell apart.

twincam
05-02-2007, 09:51 AM
The Warriors had that nice lead. Yet, they were still trying to hit three pointers. WHY? There was no need for that. Poor clock management. The coach should have called TIMEOUT to regain his teams' cockiness and focus. That is call "playoff inexperience". If the Warriors lose this series....Game 5 was the reason for it. They did what Dallas has been doing, and that's "choke".

Thoughts: 9pt lead with 3:00 remaining. How do you come back from 20pts down, take a commanding lead, just to blow it? You must have POISE. Nothing is guaranteed in this league.

fraga
05-02-2007, 09:55 AM
I heard they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night...

SAGambler
05-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Who on the Warriors has been past the first round in the playoffs? Nellie, SJAx

Has any other Warrior even been in the playoffs?

The Warriors had a great end to the season (but not anywhere near as good a run as the Spurs) and have had a hell of a lot of fun in the their first playoff run in many years.

I still think the crowd and the Warriors will prevail in Game6.

If the Warriors get past the Mavs, I think they can get past Rockets or Jazz.

If they could accomplish that, Dallas would already be getting the boats tuned up.

mabber
05-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I heard they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night...

Actually the Warriors shot fairly well last night (39-83...47%), and more importantly they shot 16-35...46% from 3 pt land. Their 3 point shooting is what got them back in the game and almost won it for them.

41times
05-02-2007, 10:46 AM
The Warriors had that nice lead. Yet, they were still trying to hit three pointers. WHY? There was no need for that. Poor clock management. The coach should have called TIMEOUT to regain his teams' cockiness and focus. That is call "playoff inexperience". If the Warriors lose this series....Game 5 was the reason for it. They did what Dallas has been doing, and that's "choke".

Thoughts: 9pt lead with 3:00 remaining. How do you come back from 20pts down, take a commanding lead, just to blow it? You must have POISE. Nothing is guaranteed in this league.

Undisciplined players and undisciplined coaching leads to stupid fouls, ejections, poor shot selection, poor clock management and a loss.

And now the pressure doubles because they know they have to win a game 6 at home because they know if they don't win Thursday they ain't winning in Dallas on Saturday's game 7!

Jason Richardson has already said that game 6 is a "must win because we don't want to come back here"

I think i see his stroke tightening up already!

Gotta love the Pressure!!!!!!!!!

Jimcs50
05-02-2007, 10:58 AM

That is how they play.

How the hell do you think they came back with that 30 pt swing????

Live by the 3, die by the 3.

I like their style and their gutty determination. They have a chance to beat a 1 seed and nobody besides me thought they had a chance.

CubanMustGo
05-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Weren't you also the one saying the Spurs were going to lose to Denver? :lol

MrChug
05-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I think their youth and lack of fear worked against them in the final minutes. It looks like they could hold onto a big lead or even come back, but when faced with adversity, they folded.

Jimcs50
05-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Weren't you also the one saying the Spurs were going to lose to Denver? :lol

Yeah, I really thought we would lose to Denver.

:rolleyes

conversekid
05-02-2007, 12:46 PM
I think their youth and lack of fear worked against them in the final minutes. It looks like they could hold onto a big lead or even come back, but when faced with adversity, they folded.

Coaching worked against them in the final minutes. They went away from what brought them back from a 21 point hole to be on top by 9. They played "not to lose" instead of to win.

Strike
05-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Golden State will win game 6 if the same ref bullshit don't happen.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I thought the Warriors played crappy yet still had a 9 pt lead with 3:00 left in the number 1 seed's gym.

Teams that play like GS are always better at home. I think they'll take game 6.