PDA

View Full Version : Thinking outside the box: (Open thread)

Nbadan
05-02-2007, 02:24 PM
We haven't had a competely open thread in awhile...

The AP asked the presidential candidates what item each would "most like to have if he were stranded on a desert island."

Democrats:

Sen. Joe Biden: "Jill, my wife."
Sen. Hillary Clinton: "A good book."
Sen. Chris Dodd: "Coffee with cream and sugar."
John Edwards: "A book."
Rep. Dennis Kucinich: His wife, Elizabeth.
Sen. Barack Obama: "Other than my wife and my kids, an inanimate object I would have to have would probably be a good book."
Gov. Bill Richardson: "Blackberry and a Davidoff cigar."

Republicans:

Sen. Sam Brownback: "Tarp."
Rudy Giuliani: "Books and music."
Mike Huckabee: "Laptop with satellite reception."
Rep. Duncan Hunter: "Mrs. Hunter."
Sen. John McCain: "Books."
Mitt Romney: "My wife, Ann."

Rep. Tom Tancredo: "Boat."

Political Wire (http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/05/02/desert_island_necessities.html)

xrayzebra
05-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Boy, anything to post!

Yonivore
05-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Tancredo wins.

Nbadan
05-02-2007, 02:36 PM
American hemogamy won't be defied by gravitational forces...

MOSCOW - Mankind’s second race for the moon has taken on a distinctly Cold War feel, with the Russian space agency accusing its old rival NASA of rejecting a proposal for joint lunar exploration.The charge comes amid suspicion in Moscow that the US is seeking to deny Russia access to an isotope in abundance under the moon’s surface that many believe could replace fossil fuels and even end the threat of global warming. 0502 03

A new era of international co-operation in space supposedly dawned after the US, Russia and other powers declared their intention to send humans to the moon for the first time since 1972.

But while NASA has lobbied for support from Britain and the European Space Agency, Russia says its offers have been rebuffed.

“We are ready to co-operate but for some reason the United States has announced that it will carry out the program itself,” Anatoly Perminov, the head of Russia’s federal space agency, Roscosmos, said on Monday. “Strange as it is, the United States is short of experts to implement the program.”

Common Dreams (http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/05/02/914/)

As helium-3 is non-polluting and effective in tiny quantities, many countries are taking it very seriously. Germany, India and China, which will launch a lunar probe to research extraction techniques in September, are all studying ways to mine the isotope.

“Whoever conquers the moon first will be the first to benefit,” said Ouyang Ziyuan, the chief scientist of China’s lunar program.

Energia says it will start “industrial scale delivery” of helium-3, transported by cargo space ships no later than 2020. Gazprom, the state-owned energy giant , is said to be strongly supportive of the project.

Google video by Dr. Bussard (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1996321846673788606&q=bussard+fusion&hl=en)

ChumpDumper
05-02-2007, 02:38 PM
John Edwards: "A book."
Rep. Dennis Kucinich: His wife, Elizabeth.Kucinich wants John Edwards' wife alone on a desert island? :wow

FromWayDowntown
05-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Tancredo wins.

Definitely the best answer.

RandomGuy
05-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Tancredo wins.

Darn tootin.

(waits for Hell to freeze over because he just agreed with Yoni on something...) :cooldevil

RandomGuy
05-03-2007, 05:05 PM
American hemogamy won't be defied by gravitational forces...

Common Dreams (http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/05/02/914/)

As helium-3 is non-polluting and effective in tiny quantities, many countries are taking it very seriously. Germany, India and China, which will launch a lunar probe to research extraction techniques in September, are all studying ways to mine the isotope.

“Whoever conquers the moon first will be the first to benefit,” said Ouyang Ziyuan, the chief scientist of China’s lunar program.

Energia says it will start “industrial scale delivery” of helium-3, transported by cargo space ships no later than 2020. Gazprom, the state-owned energy giant , is said to be strongly supportive of the project.

Helium 3 is only really useful if you can make fusion work. THAT requires a good trillion bucks or so worth of research, yes, I said trillion with T.

THEN after you get it working you still need to spend the money to get the resource from the Moon.

I think this is simply Putin taking a page out of the Nazi's playbook and trying to unite his country against a "foe" ala Cold War Redux.

Putin has done a LOT of nasty things in his time as Russia's president. That man is scary.