PDA

View Full Version : What if the Mavs went through Howard more...

Amuseddaysleeper
05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
You know, I think the MVP for the Mavs this series has really been Josh Howard. He's been shooting a ridiculous percentage and with so much attention paid to Dirk, I think Howard should be the main go to guy.

The only problem is he seems to get a little complacent in the fourth quarter, but I was wondering what you guys thought, because if the Mavs wanna force game 7 and I am still not sold that "Dirk is BACK!" despite his late game 5 heroics, maybe Howard is the answer.

DubMcDub
05-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Avery simply doesnt run many plays for him in the 2nd half. Just kinda how it is.

It's kinda similar to how the Spurs might use TP, but to a lesser extent. How many times has TP totally kickstarted the Spurs in the 1st with 12+ points but then not done so much in the 2nd half. Granted, he does more than Howard usually does in the 2nd half, but that's why I said "to a lesser extent".

SpursDynasty
05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
We can't have Josh Howard scoring like that on the Warriors.

mardigan
They would lose every game if he was their 4th quater option, he has no killer instinct and doenst seem to be clutch at all

Shank
We can't have Josh Howard scoring like that on the Warriors.

Why not? The rim is wide open with their small lineup.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Avery simply doesnt run many plays for him in the 2nd half. Just kinda how it is.

It's kinda similar to how the Spurs might use TP, but to a lesser extent. How many times has TP totally kickstarted the Spurs in the 1st with 12+ points but then not done so much in the 2nd half. Granted, he does more than Howard usually does in the 2nd half, but that's why I said "to a lesser extent".

good call Dub, I feel a similiar fashion with Manu, where sometimes it seems like Pop doesn't run enough plays for him though I suppose that has more to do with Manu's aggressiveness because he usually does have the ball in his hands at the end of crunch time.

But would you Mav fans be down with running the offense through JHo a bit more, or not so much?

Amuseddaysleeper
05-02-2007, 02:39 PM
They would lose every game if he was their 4th quater option, he has no killer instinct and doenst seem to be clutch at all

Well, I'm aware he only averages like 3 ppg in fourth quarters or something but I think Dub brings up a solid point that Howard simply doesn't have enough plays drawn up for him, especially since the fourth quarter is usually Dirk time.

I think using Devin Harris in the clutch worked out beautifully for the Mavs, so why not try Howard too?

I'm just speculating.

DubMcDub
05-02-2007, 02:40 PM
good call Dub, I feel a similiar fashion with Manu, where sometimes it seems like Pop doesn't run enough plays for him though I suppose that has more to do with Manu's aggressiveness because he usually does have the ball in his hands at the end of crunch time.

But would you Mav fans be down with running the offense through JHo a bit more, or not so much?

I'd like to see it a BIT more, but just a bit. I don't want Howard taking a lot of end game shots. He's not really that clutch. But I think the fact that he only had 2 points in the 2nd half last night is ridiculous. We can get him the ball enough times to at least get 8-10 points in that half, especially given his ability to get the hoop pretty much at will. Plus his jumper has been looking pretty nice lately.

degenerate_gambler
05-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Why not? The rim is wide open with their small lineup.

for the most part that true.

and he's a lot better finisher at the basket than d. harris.

Shank
05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
If Dirk isn't getting it done late in a game in this series, I think Avery is figuring out he can use the speed of Harris and the length of Howard to get them through.

LEONARD
05-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Um, no...

Howard isn't their 4th quarter guy...it's been that way all season. He's the starter, Dirk, Stack, and Terry are the 4th quarter guys...

SpursDynasty
05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
When Dirk is the only big 4th quarter player on the Mavericks, then GS has nothing to worry about.

Islymore
05-02-2007, 03:19 PM
^Now I can agree with you there SD... with that said, I'd love to see Josh score more in the 2nd half, but I think he's so used to not needing to score, he doesnt even call for the ball or push it. It's been that way all season with him starting the games great and Dirk/Jet/Stack finishing. AJ may want to draw more plays for him if Dirk is going into La-La land 3rd qt. Maybe the 3rd qt wouldnt be so crappy for the Mavs if he had more plays ran.

But part of me wonders, if he can get it done when it's being laid in his lap too. He is a much better finisher than DHarris tho... so maybe AJ should invest in giving him a lil more leeway 2nd halves.

Budkin
05-02-2007, 04:34 PM
I love JHo's game. I'm still bummed the Spurs passed on him. One of the few things I don't hate about the Mavs.

mabber
05-02-2007, 04:40 PM
I think Avery & the coaching staff have decided that they don't need to run plays for Howard in the 4th quarter. They think he can create points on his own with his hustle and it's better for the team overall. While I can understand this for the most part, I think Howard should get his # called vs the Warriors as he appears to be one of the only players that can get to the rim and/or in the paint anytime he wants.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-02-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm not saying Howard should take the final shot, but if AJ could run at least SOME plays for him in the fourth quarter that would be huge.

ElNono
05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
If his sorry ass didn't have 5 fouls on 4th I could see it happening...

Cant_Be_Faded
05-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Josh Howard is the one and only reason the mavericks have gone from "Good team" to "Hands down favorite contender" and anyone who says otherwise is smoking crack.....Dirk is a fucking scorer with no spine, Josh is the only reason this mavericks team is so damn good.

DubMcDub
05-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm not saying Howard should take the final shot, but if AJ could run at least SOME plays for him in the fourth quarter that would be huge.

Couldn't agree more. It's an absolute waste to not use your 2nd best player at ALL during the most important quarter of the game.

dallaskd
05-02-2007, 05:13 PM
The MVP of the Series has been Baron Davis, but on the Dallas side I'd have to say Devin Harris. Al Harrington and Dirk have been the chokers despite Dirk's late game heroics.

confined
05-02-2007, 05:47 PM
The MVP of the Series has been Baron Davis, but on the Dallas side I'd have to say Devin Harris. Al Harrington and Dirk have been the chokers despite Dirk's late game heroics.
why did you change your team?

dallaskd
05-02-2007, 05:52 PM
why did you change your team?

bros before hoes.

Kobulingam
05-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Josh Howard has kept the Mavs in games. He's the man of the series for Mavs.

mabber
05-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Josh Howard has kept the Mavs in games. He's the man of the series for Mavs.

I'd say Howard & Diop have been the best players for Dallas.