PDA

View Full Version : Arenas won't demand max contract if it helps Wizards'

ducks
05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Arenas won't demand max contract if it helps Wizards'
Wednesday, May 2, 2007 2:38 pm EDT
Washington Wizards' guard Gilbert Arenas has said he does not want a maximum contract if it means limiting the capacity of general manager Ernie Grunfeld to secure talent. The wants of Arenas are fairly simple. He wants to be with a team that can go deep into the playoffs.

Arenas could opt out of his contract after next season. It is an option Arenas said he would exercise if the franchise is not where he thinks it should be.

Source: Washington Times

Fillmoe
05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
damn.... would have never expected something like this from gilly........ maybe he isn't that bad after all....

CruelMonkey
05-02-2007, 06:54 PM
:clap Go Gil!

ducks
05-02-2007, 07:02 PM
damn.... would have never expected something like this from gilly........ maybe he isn't that bad after all....
why the hell does not james do that with all his endorsements :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

JamStone
05-02-2007, 07:46 PM
He's made similar comments before. He said he would re-structure his contract (even though he can't after the most recent CBA) if it meant getting other players that would make the team better. In this regard, zero does get it.

kingsfan
05-02-2007, 07:50 PM
damn.... would have never expected something like this from gilly........ maybe he isn't that bad after all....Told you so.:p: That's my gilly :downspin:

dirk4mvp
05-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Good job on Gil's part. Didn't expect it though.

VaSpursFan
05-02-2007, 07:59 PM
gil is just eccentric...he's not as selfish as people think

monosylab1k
05-02-2007, 10:30 PM
gil is just eccentric...he's not as selfish as people think

yeah i think that's somewhat true. he's still got a mad selfish streak in him at times on the court tho.

and even tho i love Lebron, with the shitloads of money he's making in endorsements, why isn't he taking a significant cut in salary in order for his team to be able to sign other big name free agents to put around him? i mean, if he really wants to win as badly as he says he does. tom brady's taken TWO cuts in pay now to get big name guys on his team, and even randy moss restructured his contract to make it cap friendly.

DOMINATOR
05-03-2007, 12:53 AM
yeah i think that's somewhat true. he's still got a mad selfish streak in him at times on the court tho.

and even tho i love Lebron, with the shitloads of money he's making in endorsements, why isn't he taking a significant cut in salary in order for his team to be able to sign other big name free agents to put around him? i mean, if he really wants to win as badly as he says he does. tom brady's taken TWO cuts in pay now to get big name guys on his team, and even randy moss restructured his contract to make it cap friendly.
are you able to take pay cuts after you signed the contract in the NBA though? dunno, cuz youd think KG would do that since he admitted signing that monster contract was ignorant on his part.

jman3000
05-03-2007, 01:13 AM
are you able to take pay cuts after you signed the contract in the NBA though? dunno, cuz youd think KG would do that since he admitted signing that monster contract was ignorant on his part.

I'm certain Bruce Bowen has changed his contract to exchange $$$ for years... not sure if it was when he was up for an extension or not.

timvp
05-03-2007, 01:53 AM
We'll see if this actually happens. A lot of players have made similar claims. Rarely does it ever become reality.

dbreiden83080
05-03-2007, 01:55 AM
This should read Wizards won't give him max deal until he learns how to guard someone!!

lefty
05-03-2007, 01:58 AM
Well, if he sticks to his words, then Hibachi !! :clap :clap

Purple & Gold
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
No you can't restructure a contract in the NBA once you've signed. Different rules than the NFL.

easjer
05-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Well, if he means it and makes it happen, then I will gain a whole new level of respect for the man.

monosylab1k
05-03-2007, 11:24 AM
yeah money is guaranteed in the NBA but not the NFL...still, when contract negotiations came last season Lebron wasn't exactly looking to sign a small deal to help his team out....i believe "global icon" and "billionaire" were his aspirations.

cornbread
05-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Meh, I'll cheer for him IF it actually happens.

missmyzte
05-03-2007, 12:51 PM
I love Gil, his blog is the funniest thing I've ever read. Hibachi!!!

Testing
05-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Arenas is actually one of the most generous and un-selfish players in the NBA. Did anyone else know that he donates, every year, $100 for every point he scores in a game to schools in the DC area? He also gives out his jersey for free at every game...he actually does a lot and unlike other superstars, he definiately has not forgotten where he's come from and how far he's gotten. He's always been out to prove something. Half the time the stuff he says is just part of a PR thing...kind of like what Shaq does.

baseline bum
05-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Bruce exercised a player option on the last year of his deal to sign an extension for a lower annual pay.

hater
05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Arenas sticks to his word. He is real, that is why ppl hate him sometimes, cause he speaks his mind. and yes, his mind is bizarre. but he is a good guy