PDA

View Full Version : MVP of This Series?

01Snake
05-02-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm going with Finley! Dude has been money!

Amuseddaysleeper
05-02-2007, 09:12 PM
amen

Oberto deserves Props as does Horry

BIG IRISH
05-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Horry, with Finley-runner-up,

milkyway21
05-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Mike Finley, no doubt about it.

aaronstampler
05-02-2007, 09:42 PM
I think you still have to give it to Duncan. He's the key to everything.

whottt
05-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Tony Parker

phyzik
Spurs = Warriors

What makes a warrior? Heart, Soul and his weapon.

Duncan = Soul

Horry = Heart

Finley = weapon

thekingrobert
dont forget t. parker his offense lacked a little but thats cause he played defense so hard much props

Madskill50
05-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Cmon people get real. MVP for the Spurs: JR Smith

duncan228
05-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Spurs = Warriors

What makes a warrior? Heart, Soul and his weapon.

Duncan = Soul

Horry = Heart

Finley = weapon

I like this.

But if I can only pick one I always go with Duncan.

phyzik
05-02-2007, 09:46 PM
ghaghaghagh, what does that make the warriors? Ultimate Warriors?

http://www.spookyweb.de/wrestling/wrest81.jpg

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I think Finley was the most consistent actually. He only had ONE poor shooting night..

Tony played subpar as far is his performances went. A couple poor shooting games. and offensive mental lapses.

Tim's probably the second most consistent. Oberto, and Horry did a good job for this series :tu

Manu had 3 good/decent all around games (despite the Defenses causing poor FG percentages), and 2 bad games.

timvp
05-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Tough to say. Outside of Duncan, who is always the MVP with regards to the Spurs, you'd have to go with Finley or Horry. But then again, Oberto was huuuge in the series. Parker after Game 1 played amazing defense and was aggressive offensively. Manu was huge in Game 3, which probably was the most important game of the series.

I'd probably have to go with Horry just because he came out of nowhere and his block in Game 2 was the play of the series. But it was a nice team effort overall.

On to the Suns.

Kori Ellis
05-02-2007, 09:54 PM
I think Finley was the most consistent actually. He only had ONE poor shooting night..

Tony played subpar as far is his performances went. A couple poor shooting games. and offensive mental lapses.

Tim's probably the second most consistent. Oberto, and Horry did a good job for this series :tu

Manu had 3 good/decent all around games (despite the Defenses causing poor FG percentages), and 2 bad games.

Finley and Horry were great.

Tony had his best defensive peformances of his entire career and average 18/7 or something. Not exactly "subpar" but not perfect offensively.

But I still give all MVP's to Duncan.

aaronstampler
05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
What's crazy about this series is that one could make the argument that Tony and Manu were our 5th and 6th best players over the course of the series. That's incredible to me. I didn't think we'd have a chance to win if that was the case. It shows how strong the team is right now.

duncan228
05-02-2007, 09:57 PM

You and me. Can't wait to see him at the podium with his 4th Finals MVP.

ShoogarBear
This series was won on the defensive end, in particular the defense on Allen Iverson.

Denver's only chance of winning was to have both Carmelo and Iverson go off. Only Carmelo really did.

So you have to pick between TP, Bruce, and Tim (who basically were the team defense on Iverson).

bdictjames
MVP - Timmy (Yay!)

COY - Pop (DOH)

ROY - no one was eligible.

6th man - Findog!!!

DPOY - Bowen and Parker

Sportsmanship Award - Manu (didn't retaliate to hits)

tlongII
05-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Duncan

johnpaulwall21
05-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Tim is the MVP for sure. Lead team in scoring, rebounding and second in assists. finley a close second and parker 3rd.

aaronstampler
05-02-2007, 09:59 PM
MVP - Timmy (Yay!)

COY - Pop (DOH)

ROY - no one was eligible.

6th man - Findog!!!

DPOY - Bowen and Parker

Sportsmanship Award - Manu (didn't retaliate to hits)

Der, Fin can't be a 6th man if he's a starter. Give it to Horry.

florige
05-02-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm going with Finley! Dude has been money!

Big shot Bob. He saved our Arsees twice.lol Big props to Finley too though.

timvp
05-02-2007, 10:01 PM
What's classic is Parker gets no national recognition for shutting down AI and for once, Bowen is being overrated defensively. Never would've thought I'd see the day . . .

florige
05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Tough to say. Outside of Duncan, who is always the MVP with regards to the Spurs, you'd have to go with Finley or Horry. But then again, Oberto was huuuge in the series. Parker after Game 1 played amazing defense and was aggressive offensively. Manu was huge in Game 3, which probably was the most important game of the series.

I'd probably have to go with Horry just because he came out of nowhere and his block in Game 2 was the play of the series. But it was a nice team effort overall.

On to the Suns.

Hopefully Kobe goes Jordan on them and manages to steal another one from them tonight to stretch.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I have to go with a co MVP. And that's between Horry and Oberto. The two games in Denver were extremely crucial. And non other than Robert Horry was there to lift up the team in crunch time. Oberto because Duncan couldn't do it by himself, and Elson wasn't of much help either. Oberto did what we needed him to do in being a solid big instead of trying to be a hero.

And my honorable mention goes to Bruce for doing the little things that just down show up on stat sheets. He definitly had his hands full with A.I. and Melo.

Pistons < Spurs
05-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I think it's great that there isn't a clear cut MVP of this series. Everyone stepped up at different moments, either offensively, or defensively. That's the definition of TEAM , and is what will get you through to the Finals. The 2nd round opponent knows they can't focus on one player, as multiple guys can step up when needed.

Borosai
05-02-2007, 10:06 PM
It's not Manu, that's for sure. Hopefully he's saving that shit for the Suns.

GrandeDavid
05-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Maybe the key of the team being soft and getting owned by a brazilian basher

Mouse, give it a rest already! :lol

Kori Ellis
05-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Mouse, give it a rest already! :lol

:lol It's not Mouse.
People here are so off based, guessing everyone is Mouse.

milkyway21
05-02-2007, 10:11 PM
People here are so off based, guessing everyone is Mouse.

maybe because we know mouse has those 20 usernames before :lol we assume.

MI21
05-02-2007, 10:26 PM
It's always Tim. Averaged around 21/11/5/4. Ridiculous.

Other than him, it's incredible how few people are praising Parker's D. People were quick to bash him after game 1.. but his D on AI was incredible along with 18/7/3 is pretty damn good. I think it goes Tim, Tony and then Finley/Horry on the next level then Oberto/Bowen/Manu etc..

Marhq
05-02-2007, 10:41 PM
The bench.

Saludos.

Buddy Holly
05-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Do you even have to ask who the MVP was?

Simple. Two words:

http://a896.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01077/59/89/1077599895_l.jpg

ShoogarBear
05-02-2007, 10:47 PM
People here are so off based, guessing everyone is Mouse.That sounds like something mouse would say to throw us off.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/smilies/scratchchin.gif

Trifecta
05-02-2007, 10:49 PM
And the MVP does to .....Fin-dog!!!!

I remember how he was being toasted for his inconsistent shooting in the playoffs last year!

He looks to be in a zone this year!

angel_luv
05-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Finley wins.

Robert deserves serious props. Timmy never gets his due- he's so awesome you almost take great play from him for granted.

Gino had some clutch shots too- look forward to seeing even more from him in upcoming rounds.

T Park
05-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Tony parker.

Without his defense, and how well he ran the team the last 4 games, this series goes the other way.

Tony parker, SHUT DOWN Allen Iverson.

cherylsteele
05-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Mouse? I am not Mickey Mouse, thanks though
Whether it is mouse or not doesn't matter......their posts are still pointless, and just plain stupid.

But the Spurs won....so now what do you say?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Tony parker.

Without his defense, and how well he ran the team the last 4 games, this series goes the other way.

Tony parker, SHUT DOWN Allen Iverson.
Though Tony did a good job on him in stretches. Bowen had a lot to do with shutting down AI, not to mention the Team. We had at minimum three guys converge on AI every time.

Tek_XX
05-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Depends on your definition of MVP? I'm going with Horry for breaking open the series in game 3

Fabbs
05-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Duncan MVP with Parker close second.

Parker was great. Many of his drives he should have gotten the foul call, likewise many of AIs drives the fouls against Parker and company were bogus.

Finley doesn't happen without Duncan.
The transformation of Finley from chucker to maker with some defense and team ball thrown in is fantastic.

Whats good news is Duncan has not had a breakout game yet.
Fine with me if he wants to open it up vs Phx.

Texas_Ranger
05-02-2007, 10:56 PM
I'll go with TD.

T Park
05-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Though Tony did a good job on him in stretches. Bowen had a lot to do with shutting down AI, not to mention the Team. We had at minimum three guys converge on AI every time

watch who guarded AI, when it counted in the 4th quarter.

Tony parker.

Apology accepted :)

Clutch20
05-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Tim Duncan.
He's the tip of the spear.

What fires up his teammates is not the bank shots or even the mellow dunks.
It's the second, sometimes third effort putbacks that show how determined he is to score.

That's the motivator, it starts with Timmy.

Clutch20
05-02-2007, 11:01 PM
That Tim Duncan was owned this series.

Horry/Finley/Parker bailed him out.
The leads always dropped with Timmy had to sit out on the bench.
The Spurs lead grew whenever he came back in.
There's a pattern there.

gino>yourlife
05-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Robert Horry

ducks
05-02-2007, 11:18 PM

Tony had his best defensive peformances of his entire career and average 18/7 or something. Not exactly "subpar" but not perfect offensively.

people need to get off of bashing tp
tp put up impressive numbers while containing ai who shots 25 shots
he spent alot of energy on d
try guarding a player that shots 25 shots and then score

gilmor
05-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Tim Duncan.. and the person who suggested we put S Jackson as our avitar.. u rock man!!!

lrrr
05-03-2007, 12:28 AM
AI, for taking shots away from Melo...

TDMVPDPOY
05-03-2007, 12:49 AM
at least tim duncan expose who is the real dpoy

milkyway21
05-03-2007, 03:59 AM
Duncan series average:

a team-high 20.2 points and 10.6 rebounds
5.4 assists per game is MVP worthy too!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-03-2007, 04:51 AM

Eh, maybe I shouldn't have globbed Tony in there with Manu...

as for "subpar"

No doubt Tony did an excellent job improving his defense on A.I. in terms of staying in front of him, in comparison to the first game.

But I don't know, I just thought when I was watching, Tony was a little shakey for a couple games. To me, he had three solid games, and a couple, shakey games. Statistically he was consistent. But the little things I noticed. When I looked at the stat sheet after each game he usually came up solid at the end. But I thought Tony could be a little more poised in the series than he was. I don't know I guess it was just what I got from game to game. In my opinion none of our big three, have gone all out yet.

Manu was definitely subpar though.

and yeah, Duncan's Duncan. :lol

RADECK
05-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Tim Duncan

MI21
05-03-2007, 06:37 AM
Even after all these years I still marvel at the fact that I can look at Duncan's impact in this series -- huge clutch shot in Game 2, center of the Nuggets defensive attention, center of the Spurs team defense etc... Stats of 20/11 with an incredible 5apg, 4bpg...

...and still feel like he played a pretty average series. The guy is amazing.

Ginofan
05-03-2007, 07:12 AM
MVP-Not-Named-Tim-Duncan: :bling Mike "Money" Finley :bling

Oberto was big out there as well, and Horry lived up to his rep of only playing in the playoffs (Have no doubt that I appreciate that :lol). Elson and Manu seemed to pick up the game towards the middle to end of the series, but I would like to see more production from them both going into the PHX series. Tony was huge on defense, but I still get so fustrated with his bone-headed offensive sets where he dribbles the whole time then chunks up a prayer shot when people are open. I think Bruce was overworked this series with him having to switch back and forth on Melo and AI but he did great job as usual, and got some help with AI from Tony at the end of the series.

I can't wait for the next round!

jmard5
05-03-2007, 07:53 AM
FINLEY!

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050307.05C.BKNspurs.notebook.3c1719e.html

Even better than Finley: Only three players in NBA history have made more than eight 3-pointers in a playoff game: Vince Carter, Ray Allen and Rex Chapman, who is now Denver's vice president of player personnel.

Each of them made nine, one more than Michael Finley hit Wednesday.

Finley, who went 8 of 9 behind the arc in Game 5, finished the series with 19 3-pointers, just four fewer than all of the Denver Nuggets combined.

Only Chapman (22), Paul Pierce (20) and Antoine Walker (20) have made more in a five-game series.

"Some of the shots he was making were incredible," Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony said. "I was right there in his face, hand in his shots. I can admit it now, but sometimes I was hitting his arm, and he was still making the shots."

:lol

2centsworth
05-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Duncan

SAGambler
05-03-2007, 08:26 AM
I think when you look at all the opinions of who was mvp and why, you have to come to the conclusion that this was indeed a TEAM effort, which is what IMO makes the Spurs such a great team. No individuals. Just team effort.

If they had to actually name a series MVP, it would certainly be difficult. When you have players off the bench that put up great performances, you know you have a winning club.

And in all the MVP considerations, let's not forget the props to Vaughn for his relentless play while Tony rested. I've decided he only knows one speed......Full throttle when he is on the floor. And that is big, since Tony can't play a full 48.

It was great team effort to defeat Denver and I have no doubt it will be another great team effort that will send the Suns to the fishing hole.
:flag: :flag: :flag:

VaSpursFan
05-03-2007, 08:54 AM
finley, horry and oberto. each brough something much needed to the table to win this series.

finely - timely 3 pt shooting
horry - just making huge plays at the right time on defense and offense. the man is a freaking b-ball genius
oberto - key hustle plays and intangibles. this guy is slow and unathletic but gets a hand on key rebounds for the tip out and knows how to find the open spot to get his shot off and he makes great passes.

ambchang
05-03-2007, 11:48 AM
What's crazy about this series is that one could make the argument that Tony and Manu were our 5th and 6th best players over the course of the series. That's incredible to me. I didn't think we'd have a chance to win if that was the case. It shows how strong the team is right now.
You can for Manu, you can't for Tony.
TP was the best player throughout this series outside of Duncan. The way he contained Iverson and ran the offense allowed the Spurs to defeat the Nuggets in convincing fashion.

cherylsteele
05-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Hello....Mcfly....the Spurs won.
I am not sure where Nene owned Duncan. Bsides, wasn't Elson and Fabs on him more than Duncan?

Yeah, Duncan is soft with 3 finals MVP's, and not being knocked out in the first round when on the active roster.:rolleyes