PDA

View Full Version : War of Words

E20
05-03-2007, 12:47 AM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjzRvm57fE07i5P8DJRlSUG8vLYF?slug=aw-warriorsmavs050207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

War of Words

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
May 2, 2007

DALLAS – They were walking past the windows of the Old No. 7 Club in the corridor between the home and away locker rooms, the three stragglers shuffling past the postgame bar and grill of Dallas Mavericks fans. Long past midnight now, these people started standing and screaming through the glass, barking at Baron Davis and Don Nelson, clutching his Bud Light, and finally the most hated Warrior in the house, Stephen Jackson.

Davis and Nellie smiled and nodded on the way out of Game 5 on Tuesday night, but Jackson is Jackson and this wild series has brought out the best and worst of him. He wore his Yankees cap sideways along with his diamond studded crucifix, and finally he reached into his pocket, pulled out his money clip and waved a big, fat wad of the Golden State Warriors house money at those cursing him.

They were playing with it all the way into the final, fatal minutes when, within a whisper of one of the greatest upsets in NBA history, the Warriors unraveled in a 118-112 loss at the American Airlines Center.

Golden State made the mistake of letting Dirk Nowitzki get back into this series. All at once, Davis did a double-clutch, off-balance three-pointer with 3:21 left – "A horse shot," Mark Cuban called it – to take a 112-103 lead, until Nowitzki, the embattled Mavericks star, vowed to validate his front-running MVP candidacy with Dallas' championship hopes fading.

With much of basketball calling him a fraudulent superstar for his performance in the series, with his own coach, Avery Johnson, finally demanding that his All-Star's disposition stop drooping and start delivering, Nowitzki dropped 12 of his 30 points in the final three minutes and seven seconds.

This had all the more stunning of a turn of events considering that Nowitzki didn't have a shot – never mind a basket – in the fourth quarter until the season was on the brink and he pulled it back. "Dirk popped the spinach on the sidelines and said, 'I am what I am,' " Cuban marveled.

And so started a blur of 15 straight Dallas points to end Game 5, pulling the Mavericks within 3-2 of the Warriors in the best-of-seven series. Nowitzki's rush of three-pointers and free throws set into motion an unraveling of Golden State in those final minutes that included nine straight missed shots, Jackson getting ejected and Jason Richardson inviting an NBA security probe into a possible pushing incident with a courtside fan late in the game.

Davis, the best player in this series, fouled out, and Jackson, the series' biggest headcase, was tossed for the second time in the series for clapping too vigorously in the direction of an official.

"Life of Stephen Jackson," he grumbled. "That's all I've got to say. Life of Stephen Jackson. That's all I'm saying."

Of course, Jackson can't help himself, and he went on to essentially call himself a target. Yet he still promised that, "We're going to go home and close it out."

Perhaps, but commissioner David Stern may first have to make a decision on Richardson's availability for Game 6. After Richardson's momentum carried him out of bounds late in the game, he found himself in the lap of a Dallas fan. They were briefly entangled, witnesses said, and Mavericks and NBA security interviewed the fan later for his side of the exchange.

What team and league sources were told, according to two high-ranking league officials, was that Richardson said, "Push me again, (expletive), and I'll beat your ass." NBA security's Dwayne Bishop was on the telephone with the fan late Tuesday night in the arena dining room, apparently reaching the man after he had talked to Mavericks security. At the least, Richardson probably bought himself a fine.

"I can't remember (what he said) in the heat of the moment," Richardson said of the fan. "All I know is that I pushed him back, trying to see who he was. But it's over."

Despite the Mavericks' breathless bid in the final minutes to spare themselves a long, shocking summer, the biggest burden is still on Dallas to get out of this series alive. Before the game, Cuban blew off steam on the Stairmaster in the Mavericks' locker room, defending Nowitzki and ripping his ever-growing nemesis, Nelson, the deposed Dallas coach.

"Some people are afraid to lose," Cuban said. "You can't be afraid to lose if you're going to be a winner. You see it in business all the time. No balls, no babies, right? You've got to go for it. I don't think Nellie's got that attitude and that was a conflict between us."

Cuban was trying hard to spin some pressure back on Nelson, who has been living large as the eighth seed against these Mavericks with a championship-or-bust mandate on the season. "… Whatever happens, (this series in the future) changes him from the underdog to the favorite in a lot of respects. And then all of the expectations change," Cuban said. "You just can't be in hiding. It couldn't happen to a better guy. Now the entire (Bay Area) is going to think he's got to win 60 games and contend for a championship every year. It will be fun to watch."

Someday maybe, but for now the Mavericks must find a way to survive Oracle Arena in Oakland, the loudest, most delirious building the NBA has seen in years. They've waited forever for these Warriors to have one of those seasons, one of these runs, and it will reach a crescendo Thursday night when Game 6 comes to the Bay Area.

"Now, there's a lot of pressure on them," Johnson said. "They got 10,000 pounds on their right arms up there in Oakland. A lot of pressure on them."

Nice try, Avery. But the pressure is on the Mavericks until they complete this jagged journey into the second round.

As they were walking down the corridor late Tuesday, Nelson threw an arm around Davis for a moment and told simply, "Hey, we had a shot at the end," and the understanding was unmistakable: The best team in basketball had to play out of its mind to simply get a No. 8 seed back to its building for a game that Stephen Jackson says these Warriors are going to use to close out the Mavericks, close out a wild basketball blood war.

"The bottom line is that we don't like each other," Matt Barnes sniffed. "We don't like them, they don't like us."

With a wrap on his leg for the hamstring he pulled in the first quarter, Barnes, a journeyman, happened to be the relentless, resolved face of this Golden State team in the losing locker room.

He's the Warrior with the word, "Believe," tattooed on the side of his neck.

Shank
05-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Funny how the Warriors revert back to this poor little 8th seed when they lose.

It's also funny how everyone of the Warriors wishes he/she (Sarunas/Biedrins) was a superstar and is making sure to grab as much facetime as possible in this series.

But such is the way it goes in a long series. You start hating every little bit of the other team more and more as the games go by.

Bob Lanier
05-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Before the game, Cuban blew off steam on the Stairmaster in the Mavericks' locker room
If this is how everyone in Dallas treats his exercise equipment, no wonder it's always one of the fattest cities in America.

edoubledwhy
05-03-2007, 01:04 AM

It's also funny how everyone of the Warriors wishes he/she (Sarunas/Biedrins) was a superstar and is making sure to grab as much facetime as possible in this series.

But such is the way it goes in a long series. You start hating every little bit of the other team more and more as the games go by.

especially after they eliminate ur ass bye bye mavericks

johngateswhiteley
05-03-2007, 01:06 AM

eat shit mavfan.

joeyjfive
05-03-2007, 02:36 AM
I really hope Richardson doesnt get some type of suspension, it would really be a shame to take out a key player in a great series.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-03-2007, 05:01 AM
"Some people are afraid to lose," Cuban said. "You can't be afraid to lose if you're going to be a winner. You see it in business all the time. No balls, no babies, right? You've got to go for it. I don't think Nellie's got that attitude and that was a conflict between us."

Cuban was trying hard to spin some pressure back on Nelson, who has been living large as the eighth seed against these Mavericks with a championship-or-bust mandate on the season. "… Whatever happens, (this series in the future) changes him from the underdog to the favorite in a lot of respects. And then all of the expectations change," Cuban said. "You just can't be in hiding. It couldn't happen to a better guy. Now the entire (Bay Area) is going to think he's got to win 60 games and contend for a championship every year. It will be fun to watch."

Cuban's an asshole.

confined
05-03-2007, 08:13 AM

Sarunus pisses me off everytime i see his face on the bench

ponky
05-03-2007, 08:35 AM
I really hope Richardson doesnt get some type of suspension, it would really be a shame to take out a key player in a great series.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about Terry and Stack last season but sometimes it's warranted, and in Jason Richardson's case, IF he did something he should sit (I thought Terry should've sat last season as well even though Mavs may have been able to win it in six had he played). Anyway, it's too late in the day, if they were going to announce anything they would've done it already. I'm alright with it, we beat them Tuesday night with all guys playing, should be able to do it again if we deserve to move on...if not, then the Warriors deserve it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-03-2007, 08:38 AM

Funny how a billionaire owner of the most overrated team in pro hoops can be such an insecure little punk.

It's also funny how insecure Mavs fans on this site trash the Warriors for many of the same punk attitudes that exist on the Mavs squad.

But such is the way in Dallas these days. You start talking out of both sides of your mouth to attempt to make your boys the saints and the other team the punks.

ponky
05-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Funny how a billionaire owner of the most overrated team in pro hoops can be such an insecure little punk.

It's also funny how insecure Mavs fans on this site trash the Warriors for many of the same punk attitudes that exist on the Mavs squad.

But such is the way in Dallas these days. You start talking out of both sides of your mouth to attempt to make your boys the saints and the other team the punks.

meanwhile, the angels in san antonio only have clapping offenses to bitch about :rolleyes

now that is really fucking funny

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-03-2007, 08:46 AM
meanwhile, the angels in san antonio only have clapping offenses to bitch about :rolleyes

now that is really fucking funny

No, what's funny is the fans of a team that is shooting the most FT per game in the NBA Playoffs (that would be the Mavs) whining about officiating in ANY game.

Shank
05-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Go easy, ponky.

Their cocky-as-hell attitudes have returned after beating Denver. They think they'll sweep the Suns, so it's like payday around here.

"On here" means on a SPURS forum, in case anyone was going to remind me.

Shank
05-03-2007, 08:50 AM
No, what's funny is the fans of a team that is shooting the most FT per game in the NBA Playoffs (that would be the Mavs) whining about officiating in ANY game.

Not seeing the complaining about the refs in this thread. Care to point it out?

ponky
05-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Go easy, ponky.

Their cocky-as-hell attitudes have returned after beating Denver. They think they'll sweep the Suns, so it's like payday around here.

:lol

ponky
05-03-2007, 08:52 AM

since you felt the need to respond to my original post with your tripe, i'm going to wait here for you to find a thread where i thought the terry incident was alright and didn't warrant a suspension...and while you're at it, find a thread where i whine about the officiating...don't cop out now

ElNono
05-03-2007, 09:15 AM

This from a guy whose franchise has yet to win a title on the NBA.
No balls, no babies? Where were those last year in the NBA Finals? Oh right, the refs took it from them. They're the moral NBA champs.
Plus he lets Nash go, who turn into a 2x league MVP. He let's Finley go, who's been nothing but money in the playoffs (including last year), including paying a good chunk of his salary.

Shank
05-03-2007, 09:19 AM
I would say it was pretty ballsy for Cuban to let Nash and Finley go. That was obviously a huge risk.

Extra Stout
05-03-2007, 09:22 AM
"… Whatever happens, (this series in the future) changes him from the underdog to the favorite in a lot of respects. And then all of the expectations change," Cuban said. "You just can't be in hiding. It couldn't happen to a better guy. Now the entire (Bay Area) is going to think he's got to win 60 games and contend for a championship every year. It will be fun to watch."
Wishful thinking, Mark. The Warriors, even if they win, are not a dominant team. This upset would be all about the gutlessness of your team. And you would get to spend all summer stewing over the fact that Don Nelson, a guy you hate, just tagged you forever with the most embarrassing playoff loss ever.

Even if the Mavs someday win a title, it still won't erase the tattoo on your ass marking you as his bitch forever.

ponky
05-03-2007, 09:25 AM
This from a guy whose franchise has yet to win a title on the NBA.
No balls, no babies? Where were those last year in the NBA Finals? Oh right, the refs took it from them. They're the moral NBA champs.
Plus he lets Nash go, who turn into a 2x league MVP. He let's Finley go, who's been nothing but money in the playoffs (including last year), including paying a good chunk of his salary.

Yeah, personally, I think Cuban should just be quiet when it comes to bashing Nellie, especially considering that the two are probably headed to civil court over the money issue. It's kind of ridiculous that he made these statements. As for Nash, he didn't necessarily *let* him go, he made an offer and Nash wanted more money. Also, with Finley, there were plenty of Spurs fans bitching about Finley until he redeemed himself at the end of this season and especially during this first round. It's not like Cuban had a choice but to let him go with the new dollar for dollar luxury tax rule (Finley's contract is for around $52 mil).

About the Nellie/Cuban thing. It's so weird that Donnie Nelson continues to be faithful to the org (or does he? haha, j/k) when his dad and Cuban may go to court and exchange bitter crap all the time. That has to be weird.

bdubya
05-03-2007, 09:38 AM
...Cuban should just be quiet...

'nuff said.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Go easy, ponky.

No, we are 'cocky' because we've got three rings. What does Dallas have going for them other than being the most pretentious city in America?

Shank
05-03-2007, 09:43 AM
No, we are 'cocky' because we've got three rings. What does Dallas have going for them other than being the most pretentious city in America?

Wow. He went there. I though that retort was reserved for new kids and retards. Seeing as you have 20,000 posts, that pretty much makes you ineligible to be a new kid.

Shank
05-03-2007, 09:44 AM
I won't even say anything about you talking city smack.

ponky
05-03-2007, 09:44 AM

put your cards on the table loser. you talk a lot of shit about dallas and the fans but you can't produce the evidence. btw, i'm not from dallas, never lived there, don't want to (austin/nyc is more my style) so once again, you don't know what you're talking about with your generalizations of mavs fans

ponky
05-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Wow. He went there. I though that retort was reserved for new kids and retards. Seeing as you have 20,000 posts, that pretty much makes you ineligible to be a new kid.

ummm, well, he's an AGGIE fan...

RonMexico
05-03-2007, 09:04 PM
ummm, well, he's an AGGIE fan...

Uh oh - that does it... now you brought me into this fight

Deb
05-03-2007, 09:15 PM

Yep he went there, and the truth hurts. Sour grapes. You can do the same after the Mavs have three rings ( the 12th - of never) :smokin