PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider - Breakdown of tonight's game

mabber
05-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Scouts Inc. update: Mavericks vs. Warriors, Game 6By Jeff Weltman
Scouts Inc.
Archive

• Mavericks-Warriors series scouting report | Series page

Game 5 was the most entertaining game of the most entertaining series in the playoffs. Dallas blew a 21-point lead and found themselves trailing by nine with a little over three minutes remaining before staging a 15-0 run to finish the game.

For the first time, the pressure now falls on Golden State -- despite its 3-2 lead -- as Game 6 is its last shot to win a game it is supposed to win. Though Dallas lost a big lead by allowing Golden State to resuscitate its running game, the Mavericks controlled most of the game and proved to themselves their game plan will work if properly executed.

Dallas got better looks in this game than it had previously. The Mavs ran a lot of high pick and rolls and pinched the high corners of the Golden State zone with dribble penetration. They were once again aggressive off the dribble, and Diop did an excellent job in crashing the offensive glass and occupying interior defenders off the ball.

With Golden State continuing to front Dirk Nowitzki and put an additional defender on the blocks, Dallas will once again have to basket-cut, move the ball side to side and get aggressive play from Josh Howard, Jason Terry and Devin Harris, the last of whom was exceptional down the stretch in Game 5.

Dallas did an excellent job getting the ball out of Baron Davis' hands in the final quarter of Game 5, and I would look for them to do much the same in Game 6, which means that the other Warriors will have to deliver offensively.

We have talked a lot about matchups this series, but the fact is Golden State entered the playoffs one of the league's hottest teams primarily because of its 3-point shooting. The Warriors live or die by the long ball. All the strategizing and psychological warfare aside, Game 6 will go as Golden State's 3-ball goes. With the pressure on, will the Warriors continue to make shots at a high rate?

For its part, Dallas' defensive transition was excellent for the better part of Game 5. But Dallas did suffer a costly lapse when it fell victim to the temptation of Golden State's pace. With Terry and Harris, Dallas has the fastest backcourt in the league, and it is an excellent running team in its own right. But it's a fine line between playing uptempo basketball and playing Warrior basketball.

One of the hardest things to do against a team like Golden State is to maintain discipline in the face of what appears to be tempting open-court opportunities. The Warriors' long-ball effectiveness is fed by their open-court rhythm, and when the game moves into a breakneck-style, they make you pay by racking up 3-pointers. Dallas must continue to be aggressive in pressing for open-court scoring opportunities but they must be more vigilant in monitoring tempo -- easier said than done.

Golden State probably will seek to shorten its rotation next game, and second-year guard Monta Ellis would figure to be the primary casualty if this is the case. Ellis had sat the final 16 minutes of Game 5 until Davis fouled out, and I would look for Nellie to roll with his more experienced players in this game. Matt Barnes -- who has played very well in this series -- injured himself late last game and his movement will be monitored in Game 6.

History instructs us the home team wins these games, but I believe that of all the psychological obstacles in the path of a low seed on the way to an upset, none is greater than the sense of inevitability that the favorite will find a way to pull it out. The final three minutes of Game 5 demonstrate that.

This is a reach on a very hostile court, but we're betting the Mavericks will once again find a way.

PREDICTION: Dallas wins Game 6

ESPN.com's Scouts Inc. will provide detailed scouting reports for each NBA playoff series and each NBA playoff game. Scouts Inc. NBA analyst Jeff Weltman was assistant general manager of the Denver Nuggets from 2001 to 2006. From 1988 to 2001, he served the Los Angeles Clippers in various personnel, scouting and administrative roles.

Mr. Body
05-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Momentum has swung the Mavs' way. Dallas wins this game.

degenerate_gambler
05-03-2007, 03:39 PM
not closing it out tuesday will cost them this game too.

phyzik
05-03-2007, 03:50 PM
I dont know, Im still on the fence, I think its an equal ammount of Pressure on both teams.

And I dont buy into the crap if it goes to game 7 Dallas automatically wins.

monosylab1k
05-03-2007, 03:54 PM
And I dont buy into the crap if it goes to game 7 Dallas automatically wins.

if it goes back to Dallas for game 7, that means the Mavericks are the favorite and have the pressure on them to win big time. They didn't respond so well earlier in this series when everyone was expecting them to win. Golden State can win tonight or game 7 easy.

degenerate_gambler
05-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Golden State can win tonight or game 7 easy.

and vice versa..

i'm just glad i dont have a dog in this fight and can sit back and enjoy some 'hellbent for leather' basketball.

DarrinS
05-03-2007, 03:59 PM
People really believe there's more pressure on the Warriors?

Somone remind me: How many games does it take in a 7-game series to be eliminated?

mabber
05-03-2007, 04:08 PM
People really believe there's more pressure on the Warriors?

Somone remind me: How many games does it take in a 7-game series to be eliminated?

I think fans & media over estimate how much pressure these players actually feel when they're out there playing. Late in a game of this magnitude I'm sure there will be some pressure but outside of that type of situation these guys are just playing hard (no time to feel pressure).

hanto03
05-03-2007, 04:28 PM
look, the wavs eeeeeeeked out the last one at home with the officials once again bailing them out. in a 20k+ golden state filled stadium, the mighty wavs will crumble and they will make history once again. gs blows them out tonight.

td4mvp3
05-03-2007, 04:30 PM
washington post story quoted barnes saying, in effect, we're the 8th seed, we're supposed to lose, why the hell should we feel pressure?

mabber
05-03-2007, 04:32 PM
look, the wavs eeeeeeeked out the last one at home with the officials once again bailing them out. in a 20k+ golden state filled stadium, the mighty wavs will crumble and they will make history once again. gs blows them out tonight.

I'm sure the refs will give the Suns 3 or 4 wins in this upcoming series as there's no way the Spurs could lose unless the refs screwed them.

degenerate_gambler
05-03-2007, 04:33 PM
I think fans & media over estimate how much pressure these players actually feel when they're out there playing. Late in a game of this magnitude I'm sure there will be some pressure but outside of that type of situation these guys are just playing hard (no time to feel pressure).

I agree. I would say at the start of the game it's the adrenaline rush that could cause sloppy play more than the pressure of the moment. Like Mabber, I think that the 'pressure' comes into play late in the game with the score close.

hanto03
05-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm sure the refs will give the Suns 3 or 4 wins in this upcoming series as there's no way the Spurs could lose unless the refs screwed them.
yeah, you like the rest of the wav fans that i have to deal with < in plano > think it was perfectly okay for #21 to get tossed for laffing when the SPURS were obviously going to win that game. that screwed us out of #2 seed and you know it. the wavs are a product of bad sportmanship coming right from the top of their organization.

mabber
05-03-2007, 04:45 PM
yeah, you like the rest of the wav fans that i have to deal with < in plano > think it was perfectly okay for #21 to get tossed for laffing when the SPURS were obviously going to win that game. that screwed us out of #2 seed and you know it. the wavs are a product of bad sportmanship coming right from the top of their organization.

Come up to Frisco where the better Mav fans live :lol

monosylab1k
05-03-2007, 04:46 PM
easy huh? if its easy they probably should have just went ahead and disposed of us tuesday.

they must not have tried, huh. maybe they wont try tonight.

(or maybe they will get the shit kicked out of them and all get pissed and go criminal again) :lol

what part of CAN win easy do you not understand? CAN does not equal WILL you stupid asshole.

the mavericks CAN win this series easy too, but WILL they?

Shank
05-03-2007, 04:47 PM
washington post story quoted barnes saying, in effect, we're the 8th seed, we're supposed to lose, why the hell should we feel pressure?

That's what they've been saying all series, but there's no reason for them to just be complacent and not care if they win or lose. After that lean-in Davis 3 in Game 5, you could tell that they thought it was just about in the bag. But after Dallas took the lead back, they started blowing it off, waving their hands like "oh well, we'll get the next one". This will bite them in the ass if they don't start showing a little more that they care about wins or losses.

hanto03
05-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Come up to Frisco where the better Mav fans live :lol
my blood boils when i go north of 121

monosylab1k
05-03-2007, 04:54 PM
im not talking to you right now traitor boy.

that's cuz you couldn't form an intellectual basketball opinion to save your life.

mabber
05-03-2007, 04:55 PM
my blood boils when i go north of 121

Why, cuz Frisco is getting all the new businesses and it's costing people who live in Plano more in taxes? :lol

monosylab1k
05-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Why, cuz Frisco is getting all the new businesses and it's costing people who live in Plano more in taxes? :lol

Frisco is the new Plano.

Plano is the new Garland.

TampaDude
05-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Momentum has swung the Mavs' way. Dallas wins this game.

Yup...and the series. Book it!

Don Quixote
05-03-2007, 05:36 PM
oooooooh! so thats what cost you the 2nd seed.

and all year i thought it was losing to these teams:

charlotte
milwaukee
minnesota
orlando
boston
indiana
memphis

i can name more if you want to remember more :lol

Mavs Fan is correct. We didn't blow our chance at the #2 by losing to the Mavs. It was because we lost to the now sitting-at-home, lottery teams in the list above.

RonMexico
05-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Frisco is the new Plano.

Plano is the new Garland.

And Houston is the new New Orleans... damn refugees...