PDA

View Full Version : Michael Finley is a Spur

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-03-2007, 06:36 PM
One of the biggest differences I'm seeing between the '06 playoff Spurs and the '07 playoff Spurs is Mike Finley's ownership in this year's Spurs team.

Remember Mike on the Mavs? Fearless. Great shooter. Franchise player. Considered by many to be a top-30 player in the league. Then, in a cap-space saving move the Mavs make cuts, the Spurs get blessed, and Michael Finley dons the Silver and Black.

Only bad part was that the Michael Finley who played for the Mavericks wasn't the same Michael Finley who showed up in San Antonio for the '05-'06 season. His first year as a Spur it felt, and appeared, that Mike was trying too hard to fill a role, not step on any toes, and just fit in. In fact, Fin was so ordinary that I was wondering if he was 'done' as far as his ability to be anything other than a minor role player on a contending team. He said all the right things, appeared to be a great teammate, had a flash of the old Findog from time to time, but never really impressed.

Flash forward to this year, especially in the playoffs, and I'm seeing the Michael Finley that made me fear and respect him so much when he was on the Mavs. Ice water in his veins. Not afraid to take the big shot. A leader on the court. He's played 5 playoff games and has been big in 4 of them. He's not afraid to pull the trigger as a good shooter should, and he's showing ownership (leadership) in this team. I don't think he'll be invisible in any game this playoffs even if his shot is not on, which is in sharp contrast to the often timid 2006 Michael Finley. Will he have off games and matchups in which he'll get exploited a bit? Perhaps. But I think we'll see a Michael Finely who steps up and excels rather than one that disappears into obscurity.

This 2nd year Spur version of Michael Finley reminds me a lot of 2nd year version of Spur Robert Horry. After a shaky and unimpressive first season as a Spur, I felt Robert Horry quit being a "Lost" Angeles Laker and became a Spur during our 2005 title run. In much the same way, in this year's playoffs I'm seeing the transformation of Michael Finley from a "Hapless" Maverick into a San Antonio Spur. That 2005 playoff run turned out alright.

I'm excited for the rest of the playoffs.

TampaDude
05-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Finley was burnin' down the house last night, that's for sure! He's a real asset to the Spurs. :tu

jman3000
05-03-2007, 06:41 PM
dude definately has cojones... i remember in an interview a few years ago he was asked who he thought was the most clutch player in the league... he didn't even hesitate and he said himself. when i saw it i kinda just dismissed him as an arrogant fool because it was obvious to me it was kobe bryant. i can see now that he's just supremely confident in his abilities if put in the right situation.

GrandeDavid
05-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Fin is definitely at home now and his leadership is on the highest level with this team now, as opposed to last year. That's one reason I'm so confident that this is our year.

Phenomanul
05-03-2007, 06:49 PM
So if he continues down this path..... does he get considered for the rafters as a Spur???????

Oh wait...... it's way too early to tread down that path.

GrandeDavid
05-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Off the subject, Finley did choke horribly in the clinching 2003 matchup as a Mav. Then again, so did Van Exel, Nash and the Mavs were without Nowitski.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Off the subject, Finley did choke horribly in the clinching 2003 matchup as a Mav. Then again, so did Van Exel, Nash and the Mavs were without Nowitski.

That was only because of the uniform he was wearing GD.

mabber
05-03-2007, 06:53 PM
One of the biggest differences I'm seeing between the '06 playoff Spurs and the '07 playoff Spurs is Mike Finley's ownership in this year's Spurs team.

Remember Mike on the Mavs? Fearless. Great shooter. Franchise player. Considered by many to be a top-30 player in the league. Then, in a cap-space saving move the Mavs make cuts, the Spurs get blessed, and Michael Finley dons the Silver and Black.

Only bad part was that the Michael Finley who played for the Mavericks wasn't the same Michael Finley who showed up in San Antonio for the '05-'06 season. His first year as a Spur it felt, and appeared, that Mike was trying too hard to fill a role, not step on any toes, and just fit in. In fact, Fin was so ordinary that I was wondering if he was 'done' as far as his ability to be anything other than a minor role player on a contending team. He said all the right things, appeared to be a great teammate, had a flash of the old Findog from time to time, but never really impressed.

Flash forward to this year, especially in the playoffs, and I'm seeing the Michael Finley that made me fear and respect him so much when he was on the Mavs. Ice water in his veins. Not afraid to take the big shot. A leader on the court. He's played 5 playoff games and has been big in 4 of them. He's not afraid to pull the trigger as a good shooter should, and he's showing ownership (leadership) in this team. I don't think he'll be invisible in any game this playoffs even if his shot is not on, which is in sharp contrast to the often timid 2006 Michael Finley. Will he have off games and matchups in which he'll get exploited a bit? Perhaps. But I think we'll see a Michael Finely who steps up and excels rather than one that disappears into obscurity.

This 2nd year Spur version of Michael Finley reminds me a lot of 2nd year version of Spur Robert Horry. After a shaky and unimpressive first season as a Spur, I felt Robert Horry quit being a "Lost" Angeles Laker and became a Spur during our 2005 title run. In much the same way, in this year's playoffs I'm seeing the transformation of Michael Finley from a "Hapless" Maverick into a San Antonio Spur. That 2005 playoff run turned out alright.

I'm excited for the rest of the playoffs.

I'm happy for FinDog that he's playing better now, but he's still nowhere near the player he was for the Mavs back in his prime. If the Spurs were to win the title that would be the one really cool thing about it (FinDog getting a ring). He was always my favorite Mav.

Phenomanul
05-03-2007, 06:56 PM

It certainly makes a difference to be playing alongside Duncan than to be playing against him.... Or the distinctive defensive prowess of the Spurs teams with Duncan at the helm.

FromWayDowntown
05-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm happy for FinDog that he's playing better now, but he's still nowhere near the player he was for the Mavs back in his prime. If the Spurs were to win the title that would be the one really cool thing about it (FinDog getting a ring). He was always my favorite Mav.

He's not the player he was with the Mavs in a lot of ways, but if the Spurs win the title this year, there will be no doubt that Michael Finley will play a huge role in that accomplishment. He's not like some of the coattail riders who've gone to greener pastures and been awarded rings for having jumped on the right bandwagon. He will have definitely earned his ring, should the Spurs be fortunate enough to reach that point.

mabber
05-03-2007, 07:00 PM
He's not the player he was with the Mavs in a lot of ways, but if the Spurs win the title this year, there will be no doubt that Michael Finley will play a huge role in that accomplishment. He's not like some of the coattail riders who've gone to greener pastures and been awarded rings for having jumped on the right bandwagon. He will have definitely earned his ring, should the Spurs be fortunate enough to reach that point.

Yep, I agree.

PM5K
05-03-2007, 07:56 PM

Ummm, no, Michael played well in last years playoffs as well, especially against the Mavs, he was the only one that really played with fire....

slayermin
05-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Great post. I didn't think about it as in depth as you, but I notice he looks more comfortable out there. I think I saw him stand up for TD yesterday when Nene was yelling shit or distrupting him at the foul line. Stuff like that, I don't recall him doing a year ago, at least not with the same vigor.

Dex
05-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Ummm, no, Michael played well in last years playoffs as well, especially against the Mavs, he was the only one that really played with fire....

Mike played like a beast last playoffs, no doubt, but he still didn't do it with the same poise and example. It's like he was trying to prove himself to this team, to his old team, and to...well...himself.

Now Finley has provided towards the team atmosphere, he's mentored the younger players, he's experienced the highs and lows in this locker room...

He seems now more like a veteran WITH this team, as opposed to a veteran ON this team.

If you want a good example of bad, look at Brent Barry. He's been here twice as long, but hasn't taken half the leadership responsibility that Findog has picked up this season, especially after he moved into the starting lineup.

timvp
05-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Finley is playing the best defense I've seen him play since he was on the Suns.

Kori Ellis
05-03-2007, 08:28 PM

He played well in last year's playoffs, but not even close to this year. Last year's postseason I'm guessing he shot somewhere around 36-38% from 3. This year, he's well over 50 and scoring 16ppg. Plus he's better on D.

SequSpur
05-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Finley might reach Jaren Jackson Spurs status this year.

Kori Ellis
05-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Last year's Mavs series - 36.4% from 3 - 10.6 points in 37 mpg

This year against Denver - 52.8% from 3 - 16.0 points in 30 mpg

sribb43
05-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Congrats to Fin, nice to see him play well, as long as its not against the Mavs :). Wish he would have hit 8 3's for us during his run here

timvp
05-03-2007, 08:33 PM

If Finley's last name was Jackson, I'd feel confident that he'd fill the Jaren/Stephen Jackson role.

Then again, that'd mean he'd be Michael Jackson and I'm not sure Jacko has an outside shot. However, he'd get some favorable calls from the refs.

:smokin

DarrinS
05-03-2007, 08:34 PM
I've always liked Finley -- even when he was a Mav. What's do dislike about him? Good teammate, excellent shooter, solid defense. That's pretty much what you need on your resume to become a Spur.

DarrinS
05-03-2007, 08:35 PM

except Finley can play D.

timvp
05-03-2007, 08:36 PM
except Finley can play D.
Jaren Jackson was a perimeter defender first and a streak shooter second.

Until he got fat then he was nothing.

SenorSpur
05-03-2007, 08:39 PM
I have to come clean. I've been one of his biggest critics. However I must give credit where it's due. Much props to Finley for his recent surge.

However, let's tap the breaks a bit. Before we retire his jersey to the rafters, let's see if his contributions remain consistent throughout the playoffs and translates into playoff success for the team.

ATXSPUR
05-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I have to come clean. I've been one of his biggest critics. However I must give credit where it's due. Much props to Finley for his recent surge.

However, let's tap the breaks a bit. Before we retire his jersey to the rafters, let's see if his contributions remain consistent throughout the playoffs and translates into playoff success for the team.

I agree.

Ring before Rafters

DarrinS
05-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Jaren Jackson was a perimeter defender first and a streak shooter second.

Until he got fat then he was nothing.

Sorry, but all I could remember from him was a couple of game where he got hot from behind the arc. His defense didn't really stand out to me. Didn't he spell minutes for Mario Ellie?

Trifecta
05-03-2007, 08:54 PM
I really want Finley to win a championship as much as anyone on the Spurs team this year!

Much improved and a bigger contributor this year!!!

conqueso
05-03-2007, 09:12 PM

He did choke horribly in Game 6, but he was the one who hit the game winning lay-up over Robinson in Game 1 of that series. When I saw Kevin Martin hit that game winning lay-up over Duncan in the first round last year, I was immediately reminded of Finley's heroics.

And to be fair, the Mavs only ended up scoring something like seven points in that fourth quarter of Game 6. It wasn't just Finley and NVE who choked, the entire fucking team, including Nash, just could not hit anything. When I saw the GSDubs run around in the half court set like headless chickens and jack up late-shot-clock 26 footers in Game 5 this year, I was immediately reminded of the Nellie Mavs in that game.

conqueso
05-03-2007, 09:15 PM
After making a stunning 49 of 50 foul shots, watching the Spurs clang 17 of their own, and getting a timely acrobatic lay-in from Michael Finley with 14 seconds left, the Mavericks walked out of the SBC Center with an equal parts thrilling and nauseating 113-110 victory in the opener of the best-of-seven series.

Teaming with Jackson, who scored a game-high 24 points, Kerr's flurry allowed the Spurs to score a remarkable 23 consecutive points, overtake the Mavericks and launch themselves into the Finals against New Jersey. Outscored 29-10 in the final quarter of Tuesday's loss, the Spurs reversed course Thursday. They held the Mavericks scoreless for eight minutes, outscoring them 34-9 in the final quarter.

Excuse me, that was nine fourth quarter points.

Plus, Finley was pretty nasty in Game 5 of that series, with 31 points, 8 boards, and 5 steals in a must-win to stave off elimination. He was (and is) an extremely clutch player.

easjer
05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Finley seems to be doing what others have done before him - Elie, Horry, Barry. Horry and Barry both had terrible, terrible series against their former teams before shaking it off and contributing in positive/big ways. Finley didn't have the terrible time against his team, but is much like them in other ways.

They come in with the expectation of being a role player and try hard to make that fit into some ideal, rather than letting it flow. I am pleased to have him right (as much as I was cursing him earlier). Same with Horry and Barry. I think if the organization strives to maintain their high levels of excellence and expectations, the Spurs will be a great place for good vets to come for some time.

conqueso
05-03-2007, 09:28 PM
If Finley's last name was Jackson, I'd feel confident that he'd fill the Jaren/Stephen Jackson role.

Then again, that'd mean he'd be Michael Jackson and I'm not sure Jacko has an outside shot. However, he'd get some favorable calls from the refs.

:smokin

:lmao

What, are you trying to say? If Michael Jackson played in the NBA, he would be favored by the refs just because he's white?

http://www.ffx2.com/photopost/data/500/45791133809789818.gif