PDA

View Full Version : League saving world from iPods

Kori Ellis
11-23-2004, 01:53 AM
League saving world from iPods
Web Posted: 11/23/2004 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112304.7D.BKNspurs.notebook.8311fb34.html

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — One day after NBA commissioner David Stern suspended nine players a total of 142 games for a weekend brawl that had three Indiana Pacers trading punches with Detroit Pistons fans, league officials showed they still are determined to protect the world from iPods.

NBA vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson, who presumably has been busy reviewing the league's security policies in the wake of one of the most embarrassing episodes in U.S. professional sports history, took a few minutes Monday to tell the Spurs that Tim Duncan is no longer allowed to wear his digital music player during pre-game warmups.

A league spokesman said Friday the iPod ban, which was first implemented last week against Toronto's Vince Carter, applied only to the team warmup period immediately before games. Duncan has worn his player and headphones only during the individual warmup session when fans are not allowed in the arena.

Jackson, however, told the Spurs on Monday that players cannot wear iPods during either period, even though the arenas' public-address systems are usually blaring their own music.

When the Spurs were in Toronto on Sunday, a Raptors official questioned why Duncan was wearing his music player when Carter was not allowed to.

He called a league spokesman who clarified what the Spurs had been told: The rule applied only to the second warmup session.

NBA executives apparently thought otherwise. Stern implemented the ban when he saw Carter wearing his iPod at a recent game against Seattle.

In other news, the NBA continues to encourage pyrotechnics and dancing mascots in pre-game theatrics.

About that fight: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said the entire league should not be blamed for the actions of a few players in Friday's brawl.

"Nobody is belittling the fact there were a couple players that acted unwisely and dangerously, but there were just as many or more fans who acted as idiots," Popovich said. "We have more than 400 people in this league, all of whom act wonderfully, while they absorb unbelievable amounts of abuse — in the most personal context of any professional sport.

"There are no barriers, there are no helmets. They listen to this stuff all the time. When you consider that, I think are players are unbelievably wonderful."

As if the league needed more evidence it needs to upgrade its security policies, a fan walked the length of the court and stood next to the Grizzlies' huddle during the final seconds of Monday's game before someone noticed.

The man was carrying a margarita, presumably not his first. :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-23-2004, 05:19 AM
Tim ought to find a bluetooth adapter for his and use a little ear-bud or something.

Slomo
11-23-2004, 10:28 AM
This is probably a stupid question but here it goes:

Does the ban apply to iPods or personal stereo devices in general (walkman etc.)?

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Probably any music device that is shown.

Kori Ellis
11-23-2004, 10:38 AM
I think it's any music device at all.

GODADDYSA
11-23-2004, 11:51 AM
the new oakley/mp3 player sport glasses from circuit city would look cool on timmy :smokin

Pop OFits
11-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Money talks. Apple should be putting together an "NBA Official Sponship" package. iPOD the official itunes player of the NBA. Stern is crying out for a joint marketing package. To me, Stern is silently saying..."I won't let you openly endorse something without our league benefiting from it. Wet my beak Apple." :hat

Dex
11-23-2004, 12:12 PM
David Stern is a greedy, selfish, money-grubbing bastard.

Whoops, did I say that? :angel

Spurminator
11-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Apple is loving this. Free Media.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-23-2004, 01:37 PM
It's a good thing they're handling the important things in the league like this, and not worrying about small things like players asaulting fans.

Rummpd
11-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Tim Duncan should be featured in IPod Commercials as the "stone faced cool type".

What a stupid rule by the NBA!

MadDoc

johnny00
11-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Money talks. Apple should be putting together an "NBA Official Sponship" package. iPOD the official itunes player of the NBASpoken like a true entrepenuer. y'outta get that boat started cause it sounds like a sweet ride.

johnny00
11-23-2004, 03:05 PM
David Stern is a greedy, selfish, money-grubbing bastard.

Whoops, did I say that? :angelIt's okay this isn't NBA.COM