PDA

View Full Version : TMac thinking about retiring

the power28
11-09-2003, 05:53 PM
MAGIC 86, ROCKETS 96
Magic experience more frustration

By Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted November 9, 2003

HOUSTON -- The Orlando Magic lost their sixth consecutive game Saturday night, but at least Tracy McGrady says he's stopped thinking outrageous thoughts.

"Over the last five games, I've had some crazy thoughts, man," McGrady said. "I was thinking that after this year, I'm done with basketball.

"Done with basketball, period. That's how frustrated I've been."

This figures to be a frustrating and looooooong season for McGrady and the Magic, who were beaten 96-86 by the Houston Rockets at the Toyota Center.

McGrady said he even had questioned whether he had lost his "passion for it. ... if I lost my love for the game.

"But I realize I have too much pride for this to be going on," he said, speaking of his struggles as well as the team's.

"I'm taking it day to day. I'll do my best and put this team on my back."

Against the Rockets (4-1), McGrady scored 14 points and missed 16 of 21 shots. He was shut out in the fourth quarter when he was needed the most, harassed by Cuttino Mobley.

The Rockets played more help defense than zone, which has proved to be the Kryptonite for Orlando's Superman.

T-Mac's still finding points hard to come by after being held to four points, tying a career low with the Magic, in a 100-71 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves on Friday night.

"We took a step forward," McGrady said.

"My guys kept us in the game, even when I'm in a slump, and that's what we have to do."

The Magic (1-6) played better and with more passion and purpose than they did in rolling over against the T'wolves. They even coaxed mild-mannered Yao Ming into a technical foul.

"We fought," forward Drew Gooden said. "There was no fight at all the other night. We showed some good signs."

The Magic still are wobbling like a toddler, but they looked as if they finally were putting one foot in front of the other after five consecutive losses at home.

"This is the team I thought we were going to have," Rivers said. "I don't believe in moral victories, but if we play like this, we'll turn the proverbial corner."

The most encouraging milepost might have been a Juwan Howard sighting -- the Juwan Howard that the Magic thought they were getting as a free agent this summer. He led the club with a season-high 22 points on 10-of-18 shooting.

Magic center Steven Hunter, continuing to make strides, scored 15 points, grabbed nine rebounds and blocked two shots. He also had something to do with Ming, the 7-foot-6 wonder from China, hitting 6 of 18 shots.

Tyronn Lue added 18, and rookie Keith Bogans chipped in seven, but the Magic's bench could muster only nine points.

Houston's guard tandem of Steve Francis (31 points) and Mobley (21) hurt Orlando, Francis controlling the first half and Mobley taking over the second.

Again, the Magic were pounded on the boards, the Rockets outrebounding them 51-35.

Wayward shooting has cursed the Magic all season, and their aim was off in the fourth quarter. They scored 13 points on 5-of-23 shooting (21.7 percent), their shot selection often highly questionable.

The Rockets took a six-point lead into the final period and hit 6-of-12 shots to hold off the Magic's bid to stop their losing skid. Orlando trimmed the margin to six at 90-84 with about three minutes left, but Houston scored six unanswered points, as Ming and Francis delivered.

The Magic led 18-17 in the opening quarter. Then the Rockets went on a 24-9 scoring run to lead by 14. Orlando kept chipping away, kept "fighting" as Rivers had pushed them to do.

They trailed 57-51 at intermission and shot 50 percent.

The Magic, who trailed by as many as 14 points in the second quarter, pulled to 81-78 early in the fourth on Bogans' 3-pointer.

Rivers said he had a long talk with McGrady, and T-Mac mentioned early retirement.

Rivers dismissed it, adding, "Yeah, T-Mac told me that.

"When you're struggling, you think the world's coming to an end. We forget he's 24.

"This is probably the best lesson for him in his young career."

But what a painful one.

ducks
11-13-2003, 08:58 PM
I would not want him to sign with sa