PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only One ...

timvp
05-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Am I the only who feels that anything the Spurs do for the rest of the playoffs is just a bonus? With the Dallas Mavericks becoming the biggest joke in human sporting history, I'm not sure one could ask for much more. From here on out it's all gravy.

2006-07 San Antonio Spurs
"Playing With House Money"

:drunk

spursfan09
05-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Nah they have to win. I cheered way to hard for the Warriors. I would hate myself if the Spurs lost to the Warriors.

SenorSpur
Am I the only who feels that anything the Spurs do for the rest of the playoffs is just a bonus? With the Dallas Mavericks becoming the biggest joke in human sporting history, I'm not sure one could ask for much more. From here on out it's all gravy.

Make no mistake that Phoenix will be a formidable challenge to us, but I always thought Dallas would pose the bigger challenge to a Spurs title run.

That said, I feel ya. This feels something akin to a bonus for the Spurs.

Nbadan
Nah, Spurs have wasted a healthy Tim Duncan to often. Fucken win it, or go home.

Louie Vega
05-04-2007, 01:51 AM
Even if the Spurs were to get swept by the Suns ( it will never happen ) it still wouldn't compare to this debacle!

Buddy Holly
05-04-2007, 01:52 AM

The NBA could insert a girls scout troop as a ratings surprise and have them play SA in a 7 game series. The Spurs could then be swept by said Girl Scout Cookies and I'd still be happy about the playoffs. :clap

Buddy Holly
05-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Nah, Spurs have wasted a healthy Tim Duncan to often. Fucken win it, or go home.

Wasted Duncan? Come on, the Wolves have wasted Garnett. The Lakers are wasting Kobe.

The Spurs are not wasting nor have they wasted Duncan.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Nah... But I'll attest that it's very, very comforting to fall back from this high to know your boys are still in the hunt.

I love the playoffs. This week has had very good moments!!

boutons_
05-04-2007, 01:56 AM
"From here on out it's all gravy."

2-0 vs Lakers 04, I thought the same.

3-3 vs. Mavs 06 with Game7 @ATT, I thought the same.

I'm disappointed in you, timvp. :)

Nbadan
05-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Blah, every year Tim is healthy, the Spurs should win it all. Period.

Buddy Holly
05-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Blah, every year Tim is healthy, the Spurs should win it all. Period.

Why? This is the NBA. Nothing is guranteed.

TDMVPDPOY
05-04-2007, 02:00 AM
this championship is for the spurs to lose now....

they have got to win it.

timvp
05-04-2007, 02:03 AM
I hold the right to change my mind tomorrow but tonight I'm a Warriors fan first and foremost.

whottt
05-04-2007, 02:03 AM
It feels that way now, but I suspect by game 1 V Phoenix, that feeling will be as gone as the Mavericks.

And btw, you were quite clear on the poing you were making timvp, don't let the fact that boutons is boutons, give you reason for doubt....

Nbadan
05-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Championships can't be wasted. They're too precious. Spur fans are salivating like they've already won, but like you said, nothing is guaranteed. All it takes it one good pick up, (or as in the spurs case), letting one get away.

Buddy Holly
05-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Championships can't be wasted. They're too precious. Spur fans are salivating like they've already won, but like you said, nothing is guaranteed. All it takes it one good pick up, (or as in the spurs case), letting one get away.

Never say the Spurs wasted Duncan, they didn't.

DannyT
05-04-2007, 02:06 AM
I hold the right to change my mind tomorrow but tonight I'm a Warriors fan first and foremost.

wow you must be on that poison pretty bad partna..... :drunk :smokin :drunk :smokin :drunk :smokin :drunk :drunk :smokin :smokin :drunk :smokin

Nbadan
05-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Oh, but they did. Think of the Dynasty that could have been. Tim will never know better, unless he reads this forum, but you can't escape the truth.

baseline bum
05-04-2007, 02:07 AM
If the Spurs won this title, it would be like pussy on top of ass (Turkish saying).

TDMVPDPOY
05-04-2007, 02:11 AM
i bet yah if we won the championship, phil jackson is going to put another asterix on this...they didnt beat dallas....

Buddy Holly
05-04-2007, 02:12 AM
Oh, but they did. Think of the Dynasty that could have been. Tim will never know better, unless he reads this forum, but you can't escape the truth.

Winning 3 out of 7 years, winning maybe 4 out of 9 years, that's pretty much a strong dynasty.

Nbadan
05-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Not Bulls type dynasty, or even close to Celtic type dynasty, maybe LA type dynasty if they are lucky.

angel_luv
05-04-2007, 02:21 AM
The party is just getting started- but what a way to kick off the first round! :)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-04-2007, 02:23 AM
Not Bulls type dynasty, or even close to Celtic type dynasty, maybe LA type dynasty if they are lucky.
If we had won a back to back our case would have been stronger.

Buddy Holly
05-04-2007, 02:24 AM

Tim isn't Jordan. Tim, Manu, Parker aren't Bird, McHale, Parish and Tim isn't Wilt.

Nor is this the 1960's, 80's or 90's.

K-State Spur
05-04-2007, 02:25 AM
It's setting up pretty nicely for us. The one team that matches up well with the spurs on paper and took 3 of 4 during the regular season is gone, only one team left in the entire playoffs has homecourt over the spurs, and the team is playing its best ball of the year right now.

With Timmy getting into his 30s, it will feel like a wasted opportunity if the team doesn't take advantage.

aaronstampler
05-04-2007, 02:25 AM
I think a win would be sweet because it'd show the mavs how it's done. Like after we beat phoenix we won't lose focus against "easy" competition. But if Hou or GS beat us, I wouldn't be that upset.

K-State Spur
05-04-2007, 02:28 AM
Tim isn't Jordan. Tim, Manu, Parker aren't Bird, McHale, Parish and Tim isn't Wilt.

Nor is this the 1960's, 80's or 90's.

I think he was referring to the first Celtics' dynasty, because Tim already has as many rings as Bird.

xamila rey
05-04-2007, 02:28 AM
wow, i still cannot believe the mavs are out!!!!!!!!

FromWayDowntown
05-04-2007, 07:55 AM

So are you just bent that the Spurs got run out on Fisher's .4 shot in '04? Because there's a pretty legitimate argument that but for that shot, the Spurs do go back-to-back in '03 and '04, despite all of your complaints about front office tinkering.

If you're comparing the Spurs to the Lakers of the 80's -- that dynasty -- it's worth noting that with Magic and company, that group couldn't go back-to-back until the end of its run (87 and 88).

It's interesting to me that Tim Duncan's Spurs have been bested in the rings department only by Russell's Celtics, Jordan's Bulls, and Mikan's Lakers (of the late 40's and early 50's), and Magic's Lakers. That's historically good company.

DieMrBond
05-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Yeah, and if it wasn't for G7 last year, its quite possibly 02/03 + 03/04 + 04/05 + 05/06 = 4peat and counting... Wishful thinking and all :)

I'm just glad that Dallas didn't make the comeback - and win 4-3. That would have given them too much 'confidence' (not that beating GS should have been a question in the first place) and made them a harder team for us to play (assuming we can beat the very tough suns).

Keep pouring on the gravy tho!

Sec24Row7
05-04-2007, 08:17 AM
We would have still had to have gotten past the pistons in 04...

No one that paid attention to the Finals in 05 thinks that that would be anything more than a coinflip...

Much respect to that Piston's team...

ducks
05-04-2007, 08:18 AM
I will be more ticked if spurs do not beat the suns now that they will not have to face the mavs

Budkin
05-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Let me just say it will be way less painful if the Spurs fail to win it all now knowing that this happened to the Mavs...

2centsworth
05-04-2007, 08:35 AM
For the first time ever watching sports, I did get some pleasure from watching another team lose. However, it wasn't as exiting as I thought it might be and it's almost completed faded and it hasn't even been 24hrs. The Spurs winning a 4th championship is really all that will make me happy. If the spurs lose, knowing Dallas lost will not make me happy. At that point, I could care less about Dallas.

pad300
05-04-2007, 10:54 AM
I certainly hope the Spurs aren't thinking like TiMVP. The opportunity for another championship is there. Reach out and grab it men! As some have stated in this thread, not doing so would be a waste of one of Tim's remaining years. For the historical legacy if nothing else, I would like to see Tim catch MJ for titles, and I think that this is an achievable goal if the front office gets it's shit together.

So No, the Spurs aren't playing with house money.

I have faith the team will NUT UP!

GO SPURS GO!

Testing
05-04-2007, 10:57 AM
GS just gave the Spurs the biggest gift of the season, now its up to the Spurs to capitalize on it. Spurs are better than the Suns and if they let the Suns beat them, I'd say thats just as big a choke job as the Mavs. Spurs now have virtually a clear path to the finals and a championship as outside the Mavs, there was no team that can beat then 4 times in a 7 game series. Now the Spurs are the team that poses the mismatches for everyone.

jman3000
05-04-2007, 11:01 AM
i'd be willing to bet that finley got a huge kick out of this series :lol

Supergirl
05-04-2007, 11:05 AM

Yes. You are the only one. Or at least, I'm not with you on this one.

It's not about the Mavs. Yes, it was the second biggest upset in all of sports history (Red Sox coming back from 0-3 trumps it by a long shot) but it's not what I care about, really. Only thing I care about it seeing the Spurs win it all again this year.

Cry Havoc
05-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Yes. You are the only one. Or at least, I'm not with you on this one.

It's not about the Mavs. Yes, it was the second biggest upset in all of sports history (Red Sox coming back from 0-3 trumps it by a long shot) but it's not what I care about, really. Only thing I care about it seeing the Spurs win it all again this year.

Yep. I'm really happy right now.

But the only thing I want out of this playoffs is the chance to see our boys win four in the Finals.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-04-2007, 11:19 AM
It'll be a nice feeling until tip off on Sunday. The Mavs were the only team that gave me any kind of doubt this postseason. In a weird way this puts more pressure on the Spurs in my eyes. From here on out any team they lose to will be a team that I think they should beat.

florige
05-04-2007, 11:31 AM

We gotta win the whole thig now. Dallas losing and us not winning the championship will still leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm still feeling the euphoria of the Warriors win so I'm placing too much emphaisis on it right now. The Spurs need to start playing better on both ends and take advantage of the gift that's been dropped into their laps.

Ocotillo
05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Tim must retire with more rings than Shaq. Carpe Diem!

mabber
05-04-2007, 12:08 PM

I'll give you a pass as you were probably drunk from celebrating, but this is quite pathetic. I'm fairly certain you won't be still feeling great if the Suns beat you in the next round.

mabber
05-04-2007, 12:11 PM
i'd be willing to bet that finley got a huge kick out of this series :lol

FinDog was fairly tight with Dirk so I'm sure he had conflicting feelings. Happy that the Mavs (& Cuban) lost but a little sad for Dirk.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I'll give you a pass as you were probably drunk from celebrating, but this is quite pathetic. I'm fairly certain you won't be still feeling great if the Suns beat you in the next round.
Mavs fan attempting to take the high ground. Golden.

mabber
05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Mavs fan attempting to take the high ground. Golden.

I'm all about the high ground, my friend. If more would try to be that way on here we'd be able to talk more about hoops than just spending time dissing each other. :p:

Hoy
05-04-2007, 12:25 PM

Pathetic. :donkey

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Warriors vs Suns WCF, then finally some exciting ball might happen :smokin

Thats one series id love to watch

DarrinS
05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Warriors vs Suns WCF, then finally some exciting ball might happen :smokin

Warriors and Suns "style" of play seems to amuse people that haven't watched basketball for a long time. Those teams only score in the stratosphere when they play teams devoid of defense. Suns will have sub-100 pt games against the Spurs. Sorry if that dissappoints you.

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-04-2007, 12:37 PM
exactly. They play each other, neither plays D and the score will be 150-148

more exciting that the 80-90pt games like we just witnessed with the Nuggets - Spurs

I appreciate defense but when was the last high scoring series from both teams?

Its got nothing to do with 'people' not watching basketball for a long time. Get off your high horse.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm all about the high ground, my friend. If more would try to be that way on here we'd be able to talk more about hoops than just spending time dissing each other. :p:
Ah. Too bad it takes your team getting prison raped for you to adopt that attutude. Too little, too late. Don't try to fool people into believing that you just happen to be cruising the Spurs board the day after the mavs are eliminated to talk about hoops, and if you do, you might think before calling someone pathetic who's celebrating your team's demise.

mabber
05-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Ah. Too bad it takes your team getting prison raped for you to adopt that attutude. Too little, too late. Don't try to fool people into believing that you just happen to be cruising the Spurs board the day after the mavs are eliminated to talk about hoops, and if you do, you might think before calling someone pathetic who's celebrating your team's demise.

Check my posting history. I'm here almost everyday.

You don't like me very much do you?

samikeyp
05-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Warriors vs Suns WCF, then finally some exciting ball might happen

ahh nice...another fan who would rather watch "exciting" basketball rather than championship winning basketball. :lol

ALVAREZ6
05-04-2007, 02:24 PM
No, fuck that.

The Spurs have to win it all this year. You can't turn down an opportunity like this, this shit never happens. How many people thought, going into the playoffs, that Dallas would be almost swept by an 8th seed? In order to completely humiliate Dallas, the Spurs gotta win it all.

Capitalizing on it makies it that much more histerically...as if the Mavs handed us the trophy by going to fish early. It'll make the year more memorable.

Go Spurs

dbreiden83080
05-04-2007, 02:35 PM

No because the Spurs have only a few years left that the window is still open for titles. Timmy is not 25 anymore. A Spurs title on top of this debacle for the Mavs will be the best scenario i could ever hope for.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Check my posting history. I'm here almost everyday.

You don't like me very much do you?
As much as I admire the fact that you didn't just run away and hide, I still find it comical that you are pretending that you are going into the Mav bashing threads "just to talk hoops" and acting indignant. Check your posting history; nobody thinks you're that obtuse.

mabber
05-04-2007, 02:50 PM
As much as I admire the fact that you didn't just run away and hide, I still find it comical that you are pretending that you are going into the Mav bashing threads "just to talk hoops" and acting indignant. Check your posting history; nobody thinks you're that obtuse.

I don't have to pretend to do anything at my age and I'm not trying to be comical:rolleyes I've gone into a few Mav bashing threads to stick up for myself and other Mav fans that don't want to be lumped in together with all the trolls & bandwagoners. At the same time, I would rather just talk hoops as I've been doing in many other threads today.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't have to pretend to do anything at my age and I'm not trying to be comical:rolleyes I've gone into a few Mav bashing threads to stick up for myself and other Mav fans that don't want to be lumped in together with all the trolls & bandwagoners. At the same time, I would rather just talk hoops as I've been doing in many other threads today.
Then go to the basketball threads. Stop trying to rain on the parade. The trolls and bandwagonners have made this place less fun over the last year, and you should be grown up enough to recognize that. If you'd like to distinguish yourself, don't defend the idiot Mavs fans just because they root for the same team you do. Seriously, if you are so mature and thoughtful I shouldn't have to tell you this.

mabber
05-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Then go to the basketball threads. Stop trying to rain on the parade. The trolls and bandwagonners have made this place less fun over the last year, and you should be grown up enough to recognize that. If you'd like to distinguish yourself, don't defend the idiot Mavs fans just because they root for the same team you do. Seriously, if you are so mature and thoughtful I shouldn't have to tell you this.

Wow, you've really got it in for me for some reason. I was just trying to defend the non-idiot Mav fans but I guess they don't exist in your world.

Samr
05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I think we can all look to the NFL for an appropriate metaphor:

Think of it as the Warriors just made a really nice block, sending the charging Dallas linebacker on his ass in order to let the Spurs slip outside and downstream. But now, if the powerful Spurs running back doesn't take that thing in for a touchdown, the play will be forgotten. GS made a nice block, yeah, but if the Spurs get taken out by one of those safeties in the secondary (Phoenix, Utah, Detroit), then it's still another 4 downs to get to that endzone again. And the nice block will be like it never happened.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Wow, you've really got it in for me for some reason. I was just trying to defend the non-idiot Mav fans but I guess they don't exist in your world.

Hmm. I guess someone hacked your account and typed this:

I'm fairly certain you won't be still feeling great if the Suns beat you in the next round.

That person wasn't defending Mav fans, he was attacking Timvp. You should probably change your password.

TampaDude
05-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Playoffs? CHECK

Odd-numbered year? CHECK

Tim Duncan? CHECK

The San Antonio Spurs will win it all. Book it!!!

Guru of Nothing
05-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Watching Horry get his 7th ring is the gravy I'm looking for.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-04-2007, 09:02 PM

This is probably the most disappointing post I have ever seen out of you LJ.

This team is bigger than that, and I expect the fans to be. You are one of the last people I would think would be happy with us not winning it just because Dallas is out.

To me, the pressure is on now, because we should beat anyone left in the playoffs. Not winning a title this year would be a major disappointment for this franchise.

Simply put, GS couldn't have set us up any nicer for a Finals run if they tried. We need to take advantage of the opportunity. People still act like the window to win titles in the Duncan era will last forever, when in fact it's really only probably got 5 years at most left.

Gotta take advantage of this and get ring #4.

timvp
05-04-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm disappointed in Spurs fans who can't notice a drunk post when they see one.

timvp
05-04-2007, 09:08 PM
However watching the Mavs become the laughing stock of sport after last year's travesty in Dallas in Game 3 and 4 can never be overrated.

:smokin

jman3000
05-04-2007, 09:09 PM

so you took a sip of some bud light eh?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-04-2007, 10:28 PM

You need to misspell more words :lol

T Park
05-04-2007, 10:43 PM
If Utah wins the series vs Houston, it would be very very hard, to keep from getting excited and sizing up those rings...