PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Morning News: Mavericks Exposed as Pretenders

RonMexico
05-04-2007, 03:26 AM
Mavericks exposed as pretenders

Dallas lacks mental toughness to be considered elite team

01:16 AM CDT on Friday, May 4, 2007

OAKLAND, Calif. – Never have I been this wrong.

Sure, there was the vote for John Anderson in my first presidential election. And who in the world thought putting water in a bottle and selling it for a premium price would ever work?

But have I ever been this wrong about a sports team?

Never. Not even close.

I thought the Mavericks were special.

It turns out they were tragically flawed.

I thought this team had what it took to win the title.

It turns out they couldn't even hang with a No. 8 seed when its best player was hopping around on one leg.

The Mavericks have been exposed as pretenders. The ramifications of this will stretch into what should be an active off-season.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction. Go back to the NBA Finals, when the Mavericks held a 13-point fourth quarter lead and were minutes away from a 3-0 lead Miami would not have been able to overcome.

The Mavericks have lost eight of 10 playoff games since that moment. They weren't competitive in three of them.

How do you keep that nucleus together going forward? How do you sell yourself – and your fans – that next season will be different?

You can't. That's why owner Mark Cuban and coach Avery Johnson have some difficult decisions ahead.

This is not an elite team. Elite teams aren't humiliated in the first round. A team that has touted its mental toughness all season doesn't crack at the first sign of adversity.

The Mavericks entered these playoffs as if a return to the Finals was their inalienable right. Sure, they worked hard. But there is more to winning a title than hard work.

Golden State did the Mavericks a favor. Say this team had advanced to the Western Conference finals as everyone expected it to do. If the Mavericks had lost in the conference finals, Cuban and Johnson could have rationalized the defeat. Losing to San Antonio or Phoenix is no disgrace.

But no one can rationalize a loss to the Warriors in the first round. No one can say all this team needs is a little more time together.

This team has had time together. We've seen what it can do. It's not enough for a championship.

In the hours leading up to Thursday's colossal flop, Johnson used the word weird to describe his team.

Weird is not the word that leaps to mind in the wake of this 25-point loss.

Dismal. That's one word. Dreadful is another.

You can go down the alphabet from there.

The loss isn't a mortal blow to Dirk Nowitzki's stature in this league but it's close. He deserves the blame and criticism that will be hurled his way. But he wasn't alone in this epic meltdown.

Jason Terry didn't distinguish himself. Josh Howard played well in the first five games but not in Game 6.

The Mavericks three best players combined to shoot 34.7 percent from the field and turned the ball over 10 times in the most important game of the season.

Nowitzki had one good game in the series. Terry had one good game. Otherwise, the two players the Mavericks rely on to step up night in and night out didn't.

Is it a case or bad timing, or a case of the team's top players not having the temperament or mentality to handle the pressure that goes with being No. 1?

Remember how much excitement and good will the Mavericks generated with their playoff run last season? That makes what they did this season all the more crushing. A city gave its trust, its hopes to the Mavericks and this is how they repaid them.

Fans don't get over that sort of abuse quickly.

I'm not wrong about that.

RonMexico
05-04-2007, 03:26 AM
forgot to post the link:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/dmoore/stories/050407dnspomoore.3dd651a.html

MannyIsGod
05-04-2007, 03:46 AM
Dirk does deserve the blame. Thats what happens to MVPs who choke. You can't put this on Terry. WTF?

MaNuMaNiAc
05-04-2007, 03:53 AM
Damn man, someone put Dirk on suicide watch... With all the shit thats coming his way, dude might be thinking the grass has to be greener on the other side

RonMexico
05-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Damn man, someone put Dirk on suicide watch... With all the shit thats coming his way, dude might be thinking the grass has to be greener on the other side

He brings it on himself. These failures don't solve any of the question marks about his persona or his leadership abilities. Not to mention the fact that he gets inflated scoring totals based on his extensive usage of flopping and awkwardly landing moves. The fouls he picks up on other players limit thier ability to defend him, help him gain confidence by nailing FTs, and open up enough room for him to get a shot off because they're afraid to foul again. Once someone quick enough can stick with him and get in his grill, he becomes horribly ineffective, especially when he gets in foul trouble himself when people attack him on the defensive end.

There's a lot of knocks on Nash for being a poor defender, but he just gives up buckets and penetration forcing his teammates to collapse. Dirk is supposed to anchor the D in a small-ball lineup and he's so atrocious at it that he should be called for a foul everytime he pulls that Malone-esque slapping routine.

lrrr
05-04-2007, 06:06 AM
I put this on Avery. Even before game 1 tipoff, trotting out Devean George?! He said right there, "I'm going to play the way Nellie wants me to play". Dallas was supposed to be this defensively tough team, pfft... how many times did the Warriors eclipse 100? They didn't know who they were, the lost (gave away) their identity. They went back to run and gun, but the Warrior's did it better, 'cause that was who THEY were.

ponky
05-04-2007, 06:30 AM
He brings it on himself. These failures don't solve any of the question marks about his persona or his leadership abilities. Not to mention the fact that he gets inflated scoring totals based on his extensive usage of flopping and awkwardly landing moves. The fouls he picks up on other players limit thier ability to defend him, help him gain confidence by nailing FTs, and open up enough room for him to get a shot off because they're afraid to foul again. Once someone quick enough can stick with him and get in his grill, he becomes horribly ineffective, especially when he gets in foul trouble himself when people attack him on the defensive end.

There's a lot of knocks on Nash for being a poor defender, but he just gives up buckets and penetration forcing his teammates to collapse. Dirk is supposed to anchor the D in a small-ball lineup and he's so atrocious at it that he should be called for a foul everytime he pulls that Malone-esque slapping routine.

lol, how quickly people get amnesia...keep running your mouth, you're getting bumped QUICKLY in the second round and with the second best record in the league, that's nothing to write home about, especially considering how many years your team has had an mvp in its presence

as for david moore, you look horrible on tv dude, fucking resign already and stop writing stupid articles that you think sorry ass dallasites who casually observe the game of basketball will hand to hear. yeah, dirk looked like a freakin pussy in two of the games this series, but i'm not writing him off considering the ways he's come through in the past, don't ever get back on the fucking bandwagon again asshole.

Supergirl
05-04-2007, 07:05 AM
I've said it all along -- Dirk lacks that intangible, killer instinct certain players have (Duncan, Manu, Horry, Kobe, Shaq, Jordan, they all had it, just to name a few). And that was the differerence. He's very talented, and he's gotten better in the last couple years, but I'm not sure it's something you can coach or train. You just have it or you don't have it.

I'm also coming back to my prediction at the beginning of the season - Spurs and Piston, Finals Rematch 2007.

RonMexico
05-04-2007, 07:32 AM
lol, how quickly people get amnesia...keep running your mouth, you're getting bumped QUICKLY in the second round and with the second best record in the league, that's nothing to write home about, especially considering how many years your team has had an mvp in its presence.

You're not 24 hours from being knocked out by a team you "didn't care about" when Avery sat the starters and now you're trying to talk shit about a series that hasn't even started?

Amnesia? About what? I remember very clearly that about midnight last night, I was looking at a shockingly vindicating final score out of Oakland.