PDA

View Full Version : Official DUMP DIRK! Campaign Thread

monosylab1k
05-04-2007, 03:33 AM
Alright fellas, due to my bet gone awry with SpursDynasty, this will be my final post until the playoffs are over.

I'm officially kicking off the DUMP DIRK! campaign. After the most gutless performance in NBA history by a supposed "superstar", I doubt we could even get Ryan Bowen in a trade for him, but it's time to part ways with the German pussy.

Dirk for Garnett is my hope. Again, how stupid could anybody be to trade for Dirk? I don't know but let's fucking find out. I sincerely hope with all my heart that last night's abortion was the final time we see him in a Mavericks uniform.

The Spurs and Suns series' of last season were a flash in the pan - Dirk is no leader and no clutch performer. He has moments where it seems like it, but he'll probably never sustain that type of playoff performance, and I've lost patience in waiting for him to figure things out.

This is no knee-jerk reaction. This isn't only about his failure this season. This is about his failure against Miami last year, against Houston and Phoenix the year before, against the Kings the year before that, and so it goes and so it goes and so it goes. It's been 7 ytears of playoff ineptness from our "leader" and "superstar" and this bullshit has got to end now.

Some may label Garnett a "choker" as well, but we all know that Garnett will bring fire and intensity, and he'll never be caught with his pants down defensively. He'll play aggressively and will never say die, especially if he's surrounded by big time talent.

It brings me no pleasure at all to say that Dirk must go. None whatsoever. But if a championship is what we want, then we've got to make this move NOW while he still holds some sort of value (when teams may be uneducated enough to think that this series is an abberration). The Sacramento Kings went year after year thinking that their "superstar" Chris Webber could lead them to a title....and by the time they realized he was a choker with a vagina, it was too late to get maximum value in return for him. Now we see Webber thriving in Detroit as a role player....and that's EXACTLY where Dirk is headed. THE TIME TO ACT IS NOW! DUMP DIRK FOR THE GOOD OF THE MAVERICKS' FUTURE!

MAVS FANS, if you agree with me, then do everything you can to make our voices heard and let Mark Cuban know that having a gutless vagina (oxymoron?) of a leader IS NOT ACCEPTABLE and WE AREN'T HAVING THAT SHIT!

DUMP DIRK!

and with that, I pay off my bet with SpursDynasty and will take my leave. Please, Mavs fans that see the light, keep this thread alive and KEEP HOPE ALIVE that our beloved Mavericks will survive this disease of gutless choking and come out victorious as champions soon enough. We all love Dirk but it's time to cut bait and make the right moves for the team.

DUMP DIRK!

p.s. SpiderMan 3 sucks big time.

p.p.s. I realize that gutless performances from Terry, Howard, etc., are major problems too, but poor leadership is the reason for it. Get a real leader in here and see those guys turn back into big-game playoff MF'ers.

4-2GSWINS
05-04-2007, 03:35 AM
Dirk Aint Going Nowhere............

Quit Dreaming

ChumpDumper
05-04-2007, 03:35 AM

MannyIsGod
05-04-2007, 03:38 AM
:lmao

You want to trade Charmin boy for Charmin boy with an attitude?

They're the same fucking player except Garnett screams before he chokes.

Live with your soft choker Mavs fan.

milkyway21
05-04-2007, 03:39 AM
i don't hate Dallas because of Dirk Nowitzki. It's because of their unrespectful to San Antonio owner Cuban &

that one player, the thug Stackhouse for posterizing Finley last year.

timvp
05-04-2007, 03:57 AM
Beno for Dirk.

Nah, we'll keep Beno.

sabar
05-04-2007, 04:06 AM
Beno is less soft than Dirk.

Dre_7
05-04-2007, 05:56 AM
Beno for Dirk.

Nah, we'll keep Beno.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

OUCH!!! :lol

ponky
05-04-2007, 06:36 AM
no thanks. he's a very good baller and the mavs will keep him...dirk is a humble dude, he will never be a leader, pump up the team as an energy guy or any of that stuff. stack is the closest thing we have to a leader but he comes off the bench and plays limited minutes. pair someone up with dirk who can help get it done and assume the leadership role and dirk will be fine. he was fine with finley (the REAL face of the franchise during nellie ball) and nash (naturally a leader due to his position).

MannyIsGod
05-04-2007, 06:57 AM
The Mavs will never win a title with Dirk. Never.

Marcus Bryant
05-04-2007, 07:03 AM
One week later Mav Fan disowns their star 7 foot tall chucking superstar. Classic.

stretch
05-04-2007, 09:40 AM
It's hard to tell. I think Dirk needs to go. He really didn't do anything. He's an amazing player, possibly the most unique player we have ever seen, but is clearly missing something. I love Dirk, but once again, he has cost us a playoff series that we should have won. Then again, I'm not really sure who I would want in his place. I love Garnett, but he's not getting any younger, and hasn't really shown that he is any more clutch than Dirk. But he is a much more determined player, a far superior defender and post scorer, and plays with some serious heart, all of which is what this team lacks. Personally, I wish we could find a way to get Greg Oden or Dwight Howard, but after this performance, I doubt they would want Dirk.

ElNono
05-04-2007, 09:41 AM
It's hard to tell. I think Dirk needs to go. He really didn't do anything. He's an amazing player, possibly the most unique player we have ever seen, but is clearly missing some balls. I love Dirk, but once again, he has cost us a playoff series that we should have won. Then again, I'm not really sure who I would want in his place. I love Garnett, but he's not getting any younger, and hasn't really shown that he is any more clutch than Dirk. But he is a much more determined player, a far superior defender and post scorer, and plays with some serious heart, all of which is what this team lacks. Personally, I wish we could find a way to get Greg Oden or Dwight Howard, but after this performance, I doubt they would want Dirk.

There, I fixed it for you.

stretch
05-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Thank you.

Kori Ellis
05-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Kyle (Apple Valley): Chris, as a Mav's loyalist should I be worried about next season, and the future? Any chance Cuban spends big bucks to bring in a big, powerfull guard like Billups, or another powehouse. Besides that what else is wrong?

Chris Sheridan: (12:05 PM ET ) If a player like Jermaine O'Neal comes on the market, I think they have to take a long hard look at giving up Dirk for him _ especially if they think they've gone as far under Dirk as possible. Let's face it, that team has had mental meltdowns the past two postseasons that would make Britney Spears envious. Maybe it is time, despite what Cuban said last night, to blow it up.

ChumpDumper
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
:lmao @ Sheridan.

How many team overhauls have been sparked by a Don Nelson upset?

ponky
05-04-2007, 11:25 AM
yeah, jermaine o'neal, let's flirt with injury-prone dudes who average something like 17-20 pts per game in the playoffs and 7-8 boards...although, i do like his blocks, they are entertaining and foul trouble stats are impressive as hell. while we're at it, to sell the trade, be sure to guarantee that the minute that trade happens, the pacers will become number one in the east with dirk finally having the best season of his career as darrell armstrong gets a second wind and takes the pacers to the ecf...no thanks

leemajors
05-04-2007, 11:30 AM
dirk for scola and spare parts!

Suns>Spurs
05-04-2007, 12:44 PM
:lol :lol JO is nowhere near as good as Dirk stupid Sheridan.

ShackO
05-04-2007, 01:01 PM
My condolences to the true Mav fans..............

It is understandable the anger & frustration w/ DIrk......... But perhaps he is just what he is a role play er...............

Just a role player............ & Avery trying to make him be "the man" has failed twice...........

IMO there are several players on the Mavz that showd some balls.. DIrk was not one of them........

It will be too bad if he gets the MVP............

I would imagine for many fans it will be a type of vindication for a great season but for Mav fans perhaps a little more salt into the wound...........

The fishing is good here in California.............. Enjoy :fishing

dbreiden83080
05-04-2007, 01:08 PM
I don't think anybody would give up big time talent for Dirk at this point. His stock has plummeted to the depths of despair.

VaSpursFan
05-04-2007, 01:44 PM
dirk needs to head straight to the pyschiatrist's/sport psychologist's couch to work out his demons. but, i fear that this choke may ruin him for good.

mFFL03
05-04-2007, 01:49 PM
well why don't we just sell the team while we are at it!!

just STFU with this Dirk-bashing. the whole team and coaching team sucked

unrealistic goals and training by a 2nd year head coach.....thats all there is to it.

confined
05-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I really hate the idea of giving up dirk, like someone said before me, what if he DOES put his focus this summer on getting tougher around the rim and, he'd be ungaurdable by anyone, big or small. He has gotten better every season after all.

But anyway here's my 2 cents on what the mavs need to bring them to a championship...
the pacers and blazers are looking to move O'neill and randolph...i say we go for one of them. This would solve our lack of post play problem. I'm think terry or harris for randolph...OR...harris and damp for O'neill ( probably plus filler to match the contracts)...but i could really see the pacers being interested in this deal...as well as the blazers ( tho i would much rather have O'neill than Randolph)
second ( as has been rumored) we go and sign desmond mason. He gives us a truly aggressive finisher at the rim which is what the mavs lacked this post season...agressiveness
third...if either of the above mentioned trades go down with us giving up either terry or harris...i say we traft mike conolly jr. out of ohio state...his play in the NCCA tournament was more than impressive to me and i think he would be a great fit for this team
so in my perfect mavs off-season i see our roster as..

O'neill/diop/mbenga
dirk/george
howard/stack
mason/ager/buckner
terry/conolly jr.

which still leaves us room to go after a shooter such of the likes of a karrem rush ect. ect.

i really dont think anyone can look at that mavs line-up and not be impressed...ive got my fingers crossed :spin :spin :spin

mardigan
05-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I think J-Kidd would be a great addition to this team, he is tough and a leader, he would be a great fit on the Mavs imo

CubanMustGo
05-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Dirk would work well if Dallas brought in someone who could actually post up and play PF. Move Dirk to SF (yeah, I know, a 7 foot SF??) and let someone else do the dirty work.

A real center wouldn't hurt, but as we know all too well in SA there aren't really any of those out there any more.

RonMexico
05-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Dump the control freak Avery

ShackO
05-04-2007, 05:00 PM

lol............. But wait till Geoff Petrie is back in the states.........

Give him another shot @ pin the balls on the seven footer........lol

slayermin
05-04-2007, 05:02 PM
I remember Mav fans on here last season proclaiming how the Spurs reign is over. How the Mavs are younger, and that last season was only the beginning of a reign that was sure to bring home a championship or multiple championships to Dallas.

Now after suffering the biggest upset in NBA history, their master plan has disintegrated quicker than Laker fan boxing up his car flags in his garage.

Yeah, this collapse might be the death of this team and Mav Fans know it. They are already calling for Dirk's head on a platter and some want his MVP award fedexed to Minnesota.

Cuban was considering selling his team last season. I wonder what's running through his head right now. The Pirates have some young talent, maybe he will return home and give baseball a try.

Jason Terry's game was exposed. He is a punk and deserves this summer as much as anyone.

Dirk and the Mavs have layed a huge shit sandwitch and every Mav Fan will have to take a bite. Before becoming Big Talker, Betty Crocker, you should win one championship first.

And yes, I'm still :lmao at your debacle. It made my weekend.

LEONARD
05-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Dirk isn't going anywhere people...

dallaskd
05-04-2007, 05:16 PM
trade dirk for garnett and sign vince carter

Don Quixote
05-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Dirk can be on our team ANYTIME. He'd look good in the Silver & Black.

Could you imagine him paired next to Tim? Holy crap, I just pooped a little ...

We'll give Dallas Bruce Bowen, Beno, and a pick.

dallaskd
05-04-2007, 05:23 PM

Id rather keep dirk

confined
05-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Dirk can be on our team ANYTIME. He'd look good in the Silver & Black.

Could you imagine him paired next to Tim? Holy crap, I just pooped a little ...

hmmm not bad...but its WAY too risky for me

mardigan
05-04-2007, 05:26 PM
hmmm not bad...but its WAY too risky for me
Dude, trust me, Beno is REALLY good

confined
05-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Dude, trust me, Beno is REALLY good
switch beno with eva and this deal happens yesterday

baseline bum
05-04-2007, 05:40 PM
I remember Mav fans on here last season proclaiming how the Spurs reign is over. How the Mavs are younger, and that last season was only the beginning of a reign that was sure to bring home a championship or multiple championships to Dallas.

Now after suffering the biggest upset in NBA history, their master plan has disintegrated quicker than Laker fan boxing up his car flags in his garage.

Yeah, this collapse might be the death of this team and Mav Fans know it. They are already calling for Dirk's head on a platter and some want his MVP award fedexed to Minnesota.

Cuban was considering selling his team last season. I wonder what's running through his head right now. The Pirates have some young talent, maybe he will return home and give baseball a try.

Jason Terry's game was exposed. He is a punk and deserves this summer as much as anyone.

Dirk and the Mavs have layed a huge shit sandwitch and every Mav Fan will have to take a bite. Before becoming Big Talker, Betty Crocker, you should win one championship first.

Oh yes... who can forget the posts from (drunken?) Mav fan saying over and over this was the beginning of a dynasty? You don't start talking dynasty until 2 titles minimum, but I guess Mav fan has no idea how hard a championship is, and how much work goes into it when he's projecting 5 for his team. :lol

milkyway21
05-04-2007, 08:15 PM
it is funny for people to suggest Dallas shld dump Dirk. There's still a chance for Dirk and Dallas to be successful, add a power player like J O'Neal or KG, etc.
San Antonio did not dump David Robinson when he lost to the Rockets during his time. And when they add Duncan what happened, 2 rings later, and 1 more title for San Antonio when he retired.

Dump Stackhouse and Dampier instead. Keep Howard. Look for a better PG, IMO.

ponky
05-04-2007, 08:19 PM
it is funny for people to suggest Dallas shld dump Dirk. There's still a chance for Dirk and Dallas to be successful, add a power player like J O'Neal or KG, etc.
San Antonio did not dump David Robinson when he lost to the Rockets during his time. And when they add Duncan what happened, 2 rings later, and 1 more title for San Antonio when he retired.

Nice post, although I'd like to keep Stack because he's great off the bench. Better PG, yes definitely...a true low-post scorer would be nice too but I'd be happy with the first and keep Kevin Willis on to coach Diop who has impressed me a bit more in the last month.

milkyway21
05-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Nice post, although I'd like to keep Stack because he's great off the bench. Better PG, yes definitely...a true low-post scorer would be nice too but I'd be happy with the first and keep Kevin Willis on to coach Diop who has impressed me a bit more in the last month.okay keep Stackhouse(though i was shocked of his stats in the first few games in this playoffs), the PG shld be your priority, i think.

ShoogarBear
05-04-2007, 09:10 PM
I've already posted this twice before, but it's doubtful the Mavs would be able to get value for Dirk at this point.

A better solution would be to try to add somebody like a KG or JO'Neal to make Dirk the #2, or #1A player. That would require, at a minimum, giving up Howard and Harris and probably a throw-in and/or picks (because who really wants/needs Jason Terry or Jerry Stackhouse).

Try to find another top-tier talent to pair with Dirk rather than get rid of him. Trade the future for the next 1-2 years.

ducks
05-04-2007, 09:12 PM
howard and harris might get gasol

milkyway21
05-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Gasol? Maybe that's a good idea ducks. Gasol is a good defender and Memphis i think wants to trade him.

mavsbandwagon01
05-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Dirk is the most moveable mav. any eastern team would take him in a second, getting into the playoffs is enough for a succesfull seaon a lot of places which is why he will be moved for the durant pick this summer

Rosie O'Donnell
05-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Big Z for Dirk dallas gets there low post scorer.

Man of Steel
05-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Alright fellas, due to my bet gone awry with SpursDynasty, this will be my final post until the playoffs are over.

I'm officially kicking off the DUMP DIRK! campaign. After the most gutless performance in NBA history by a supposed "superstar", I doubt we could even get Ryan Bowen in a trade for him, but it's time to part ways with the German pussy.

Dirk for Garnett is my hope. Again, how stupid could anybody be to trade for Dirk? I don't know but let's fucking find out. I sincerely hope with all my heart that last night's abortion was the final time we see him in a Mavericks uniform.

The Spurs and Suns series' of last season were a flash in the pan - Dirk is no leader and no clutch performer. He has moments where it seems like it, but he'll probably never sustain that type of playoff performance, and I've lost patience in waiting for him to figure things out.

This is no knee-jerk reaction. This isn't only about his failure this season. This is about his failure against Miami last year, against Houston and Phoenix the year before, against the Kings the year before that, and so it goes and so it goes and so it goes. It's been 7 ytears of playoff ineptness from our "leader" and "superstar" and this bullshit has got to end now.

Some may label Garnett a "choker" as well, but we all know that Garnett will bring fire and intensity, and he'll never be caught with his pants down defensively. He'll play aggressively and will never say die, especially if he's surrounded by big time talent.

It brings me no pleasure at all to say that Dirk must go. None whatsoever. But if a championship is what we want, then we've got to make this move NOW while he still holds some sort of value (when teams may be uneducated enough to think that this series is an abberration). The Sacramento Kings went year after year thinking that their "superstar" Chris Webber could lead them to a title....and by the time they realized he was a choker with a vagina, it was too late to get maximum value in return for him. Now we see Webber thriving in Detroit as a role player....and that's EXACTLY where Dirk is headed. THE TIME TO ACT IS NOW! DUMP DIRK FOR THE GOOD OF THE MAVERICKS' FUTURE!

MAVS FANS, if you agree with me, then do everything you can to make our voices heard and let Mark Cuban know that having a gutless vagina (oxymoron?) of a leader IS NOT ACCEPTABLE and WE AREN'T HAVING THAT SHIT!

DUMP DIRK!

and with that, I pay off my bet with SpursDynasty and will take my leave. Please, Mavs fans that see the light, keep this thread alive and KEEP HOPE ALIVE that our beloved Mavericks will survive this disease of gutless choking and come out victorious as champions soon enough. We all love Dirk but it's time to cut bait and make the right moves for the team.

DUMP DIRK!

p.p.s. I realize that gutless performances from Terry, Howard, etc., are major problems too, but poor leadership is the reason for it. Get a real leader in here and see those guys turn back into big-game playoff MF'ers.

I have the power to override your prior bet.

I hereby grant you an official pardon.

You no longer are barred from posting on this website.

Chris
05-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Said it many times before, Dirk for Pau Gasol and Chucky Atkins. The deal makes sense.

mavsfan1000
05-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Josh Howard and Jason Terry (or Devin Harris) for Elton Brand. Post player added. Dirk shouldn't have to post up since that is not what he is comfortable with. Dirk would spread the floor out for Brand. Dallas's lineup would than be C Brand, PF Nowitzki, SF George, SG Stackhouse PG Harris (or Terry).

Fillmoe
05-04-2007, 11:54 PM
josh howard and jason terry will not get you elton brand

mavsfan1000
05-05-2007, 12:00 AM
The Clippers are desperate for a PG though. Harris might be what is needed since he is much younger as the Clippers are kind of in rebuilding mode.

SpursIndonesia
05-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Can Paul Pierce be had with any combo of Dallas players outside Dirk ? Dirk & Pierce duo should be a potential playoff combo IMHO, as both will cover each other weaknesses, and their age is about even (both are in their peak age).

AFAIK, Pierce's a good post up big guard, and Dirk should be lethal when he doesn't have to be the MAN in the 4th.

BradLohaus
05-05-2007, 02:58 AM
I've already posted this twice before, but it's doubtful the Mavs would be able to get value for Dirk at this point.

A better solution would be to try to add somebody like a KG or JO'Neal to make Dirk the #2, or #1A player. That would require, at a minimum, giving up Howard and Harris and probably a throw-in and/or picks (because who really wants/needs Jason Terry or Jerry Stackhouse).

Try to find another top-tier talent to pair with Dirk rather than get rid of him. Trade the future for the next 1-2 years.

This is the way to go. Howard could be sufficiently replaced in time. Surround Dirk and KG/O'Neal with shooters and slashers over the next few offseasons and the Mavs would strongly contend every year. I just hope Cuban doesn't read this thread.

lefty
05-05-2007, 03:04 AM
Pau Gosal is a very underrated player.

But I don't think they'll get rid of Dirk

They need a good player, but a good player with ballz ; Jason Kidd would be good

mavsfan1000
05-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Yeah I don't think Gasol and Dirk would be the greatest fit. Too soft in the interior and considering how much Dallas would have to give up. If Dallas traded Dirk for Gasol I don't like it. Dirk is clearly the better player. Gasol has yet to win a playoff game.

Xylus
05-05-2007, 04:09 AM
Had the Mavs played anyone else in the first round (even if they had played the Suns or Spurs), Dirk would have had a great series.

This is just kneejerk reaction.

gilmor
05-05-2007, 08:04 AM

I see.. you are a sucker for that Finger's post.. How can you freaking compare DRob to Dirk NoWINski..

confined
05-05-2007, 10:11 AM
instead of trading for brand, why not try and get kaman from the clippers...a decent pick-up IMO, he can at least finish around the basket consistanly unlike our big men....harris + damp for kaman + filler i think would get it done

milkyway21
05-06-2007, 01:30 AM
I see.. you are a sucker for that Finger's post.. How can you freaking compare DRob to Dirk NoWINski..you may be a Spursfan from the Phils but you cannot tell me what to say or do.

did I say they're equally good? Of course David is better than Dork.He was a DPOY. And MVP. But I only try to remind some that it took long for David to win a title and still S.A. didn't lose confidence in him. Dirk might too.

kung wala ka lang masabi na maganda :flipoff , okay? :devil :cooldevil

dav4463
05-06-2007, 01:58 AM

Great post ! Let's keep bashing them ! I also remember how many Mav fans on the forum and in person kept telling me the Spurs were too old and the mavs were the future......

monosylab1k
12-01-2007, 11:09 PM
bump

Dirk Nowitzki
12-01-2007, 11:20 PM
bump

When Dirk is holding the Larry trophy come mid june...you will enjoy this thread. :clap :clap :clap

Dirkgreatness
12-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Gay Thread

Man of Steel
12-02-2007, 01:09 AM
When Dirk is holding the Larry trophy come mid june...you will enjoy this thread. :clap :clap :clap

I doubt Tim Duncan will appreciate it very much if Dirk holds the trophy in mid-June--after all--as an organization, the Spurs allow the fans to come and take a picture with the trophy for a modest contribution to the Spurs foundation after they win a championship.

Dirk will have to wait his turn...

We --the fans--get to take our picture with the trophy in mid-June.

Dirk will have to wait until August.

And his fee will be higher.

monosylab1k
12-06-2007, 12:03 AM
bump

jman3000
12-06-2007, 12:18 AM
bass was a stud.... he was a large part of the reason the mavs even made it a game in the 4th.

BonnerDynasty
12-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Bass was good and Oberto can't defend.

dirk4mvp
12-06-2007, 01:23 AM
bump

nice bump

Nashfan
12-06-2007, 01:53 AM
bump

You are the definition of a bandwagon fan. :lol

ArgSpursFan.
12-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Bass was good and Oberto can't defend.

And Bonner can't eather Defend or Score,that's even worst.

BonnerDynasty
12-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Plus Oberto can hit some wicked 3's.

Oberto > Bonner, but don't fool yourself about his D.

Kim Jong-il
06-30-2021, 11:01 AM

DUMP DIRK!

DUMP DIRK!

:lmao in my defense, I went from watching 1 seed Dallas get curbstomped by Golden State right into a late showing of Spiderman 3, the worst comic movie of all time. Man, I was (am?) a stupid, stupid person.

Kim Jong-il
06-30-2021, 11:03 AM
The Mavs will never win a title with Dirk. Never.
:lmao

Mark Celibate
06-30-2021, 11:22 AM
:lmao in my defense, I went from watching 1 seed Dallas get curbstomped by Golden State right into a late showing of Spiderman 3, the worst comic movie of all time. Man, I was (am?) a stupid, stupid person.

tbh this actually wasn't a bad take at the time. His playoff series vs Golden State was by far his worst and the definition of a 'choke job'. It's the only time I'd say he actually choked in his career. I actually rewatched a few games from that series last year, and he was bricking one open jumpshot after another, turnstile on defense, etc. It was pretty evident that the "first team to lose to an 8th seed" mantra was getting in his head too. Also, had a few PR gaffes from what I remember. I believe when they were down 2-1 he said something like "if we lose Game 4 this series is pretty much over"....and then they went on to lose game 4.

He had good playoff success in the Nash/Finley days but wanting to cut ties from Dirk after 2007 was reasonable IMO since we were starting to see him as the head and shoulders leader of the team for the first time. Plus, it's rare to see a superstar completely bounce back like he did after a notable chokejob in the playoffs.

Neo.
06-30-2021, 11:29 AM
tbh this actually wasn't a bad take at the time. His playoff series vs Golden State was by far his worst and the definition of a 'choke job'. It's the only time I'd say he actually choked in his career. I actually rewatched a few games from that series last year, and he was bricking one open jumpshot after another, turnstile on defense, etc. It was pretty evident that the "first team to lose to an 8th seed" mantra was getting in his head too. Also, had a few PR gaffes from what I remember. I believe when they were down 2-1 he said something like "if we lose Game 4 this series is pretty much over"....and then they went on to lose game 4.

He had good playoff success in the Nash/Finley days but wanting to cut ties from Dirk after 2007 was reasonable IMO since we were starting to see him as the head and shoulders leader of the team for the first time. Plus, it's rare to see a superstar completely bounce back like he did after a notable chokejob in the playoffs.

true, things were bad at that time.

funny how this turned out to be the thing that completely changed dirk and the perception of him. it went from dirk being the reason they were losing (because avery was horribly misusing his talents), to him singlehandedly dominating series and exposing how bad the rosters were

i really wonder what kind of ridiculous stats dirk could have put up in his prime if it wasnt for averys horrible offenses. looking back, theres no reason that dirks best scoring average ever was 26.6. he should have had multiple seasons flirting with 30ppg.

Michael Jordan.
06-30-2021, 11:43 AM
Damn Dirk gave up 200 mill in his career to end it playing with Rondo :lol

Neo.
06-30-2021, 12:12 PM
Damn Dirk gave up 200 mill in his career to end it playing with Rondo :lol

https://i.insider.com/4f216a1b6bb3f76a1c000025?width=600&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Dirks_Finale
06-30-2021, 12:59 PM
Avery gets shat upon, but his persistence that Dirk drive to the rack and stop being soft and settling for all jumpers actually helped him win in 2011. Dirk said as much (paraphrase of course) In the comeback game (game 2 of the 2011 Finals) He drives on Bosh and seals the victory. No Avery and that probably never happens, they likely go down 2-0 and maybe lose the series as well. AJ was key in the evolution of Dirk and helped to make him a complete player. Was he a good coach? Of course not, but he served his purpose, imo.

Neo.
06-30-2021, 01:26 PM
Avery gets shat upon, but his persistence that Dirk drive to the rack and stop being soft and settling for all jumpers actually helped him win in 2011. Dirk said as much (paraphrase of course) In the comeback game (game 2 of the 2011 Finals) He drives on Bosh and seals the victory. No Avery and that probably never happens, they likely go down 2-0 and maybe lose the series as well. AJ was key in the evolution of Dirk and helped to make him a complete player. Was he a good coach? Of course not, but he served his purpose, imo.

um, no. dirk already did plenty of driving and was highly effective at it well before avery (just watch literally every playoff series before then, especially in 03 and look at how nicely balanced dirks offense was). avery just forced him to do it relentlessly, and in doing so he severely limited the things that made dirk so unique such as his 3s and midrange postups, while carlisle encouraged it (and is the one who really pushed dirk to perfect the 1-legged fade). incessant driving with dirk hurt the mavs badly in series' against houston and phoenix in 05 and was arguably the biggest reason for losing to GS, because avery never helped him develop a set of moves to punish defenses that would trap him on his dribble. in fact, i was at game 5 against GS where they made that big late comeback, which a lot of that was because dirk finally went back to bombing 3s and actually using his size to his advantage, instead of just trying to iso and drive drive drive like avery wanted. even against miami in 06, it was clear that they keyed in on that as well. if he had a counter move in 06, the mavs ring no matter how bad the officiating was or wasnt. but no, avery was far too narrowminded to think outside of his own box.

i think there is far more argument that avery was detrimental to dirks development, and nellie exposed that massively in 07 when showing the world that dirk had made virtually no improvements to his game in the 2+ years after he left the team. then as soon as rick arrives, that very season dirk perfects one of the most iconic shots in NBA history. that falls heavily on avery being a trash coach and trash at player development.

Dirks_Finale
06-30-2021, 01:56 PM
Oh, I am with you on some of this. I think Dirk could have boosted his PPG and should have looked for more 3's and that AJ kinda hindered all this. And yes Dirk, did drive prior to AJ, but when he actually drove was the difference here. His mentality changed some and it seemed that he did not care to take it strong to the rack in crunchtime until AJ got there. I used to pull my damn hair out seeing him shooting jumpers over Tony Parker or another mouse when he should have been abusing them. We saw him do it in GM 7 in 06 vs SA (Bowen and1) and saw it in GM 2 of the 2011 Finals. And just overall I was pleased to see Dirk no longer giving a flip about contact. I feel that AJ's persistence made him mentally tougher.

It's a valid point about not developing a set move under AJ, but not sure I would even credit Rick for that as Dirk was his own biggest critic and probably initiated all that without RC's help. I have not seen anything, quotes or otherwise, to the contrary.

um, no. dirk already did plenty of driving and was highly effective at it well before avery (just watch literally every playoff series before then, especially in 03 and look at how nicely balanced dirks offense was). avery just forced him to do it relentlessly, and in doing so he severely limited the things that made dirk so unique such as his 3s and midrange postups, while carlisle encouraged it (and is the one who really pushed dirk to perfect the 1-legged fade). incessant driving with dirk hurt the mavs badly in series' against houston and phoenix in 05 and was arguably the biggest reason for losing to GS, because avery never helped him develop a set of moves to punish defenses that would trap him on his dribble. in fact, i was at game 5 against GS where they made that big late comeback, which a lot of that was because dirk finally went back to bombing 3s and actually using his size to his advantage, instead of just trying to iso and drive drive drive like avery wanted. even against miami in 06, it was clear that they keyed in on that as well. if he had a counter move in 06, the mavs ring no matter how bad the officiating was or wasnt. but no, avery was far too narrowminded to think outside of his own box.

i think there is far more argument that avery was detrimental to dirks development, and nellie exposed that massively in 07 when showing the world that dirk had made virtually no improvements to his game in the 2+ years after he left the team. then as soon as rick arrives, that very season dirk perfects one of the most iconic shots in NBA history. that falls heavily on avery being a trash coach and trash at player development.

Neo.
06-30-2021, 03:18 PM
Oh, I am with you on some of this. I think Dirk could have boosted his PPG and should have looked for more 3's and that AJ kinda hindered all this. And yes Dirk, did drive prior to AJ, but when he actually drove was the difference here. His mentality changed some and it seemed that he did not care to take it strong to the rack in crunchtime until AJ got there. I used to pull my damn hair out seeing him shooting jumpers over Tony Parker or another mouse when he should have been abusing them. We saw him do it in GM 7 in 06 vs SA (Bowen and1) and saw it in GM 2 of the 2011 Finals. And just overall I was pleased to see Dirk no longer giving a flip about contact. I feel that AJ's persistence made him mentally tougher.

avery might have helped marginally, but players of that caliber are going to grow tougher regardless of coach. the biggest help to his development in that regards was losing nash, forcing him into the role as sole leader of the team.

It's a valid point about not developing a set move under AJ, but not sure I would even credit Rick for that as Dirk was his own biggest critic and probably initiated all that without RC's help. I have not seen anything, quotes or otherwise, to the contrary.

its pretty well documented that one of ricks first goals in dallas was to help dirk develop a go-to shot that was unguidable, because he saw firsthand how much it helped bird to dominate