PDA

View Full Version : Where does Baron Davis' performance tonight rank all-time?

baseline bum
05-04-2007, 03:43 AM
To me, this beats Willis or even Jordan's flu game. Baron literally could not run, and yet scored 11 in a row while his team was about to lay down and die. I know I'm not the only one here who felt this was one of the most inspirational performances in NBA history. There's no way in hell any of this was faked or exaggerated: Baron was literally playing on one leg, and he really looked like crap trying to move after that injury.

20 points, 10 rebounds, and 6 assists in a game he had no business playing... one of the great performances in sports that will never be forgotten.

Nbadan
05-04-2007, 03:44 AM
2nd to Stephen Jackson.

:hat

RogerIsEatingASandwich
05-04-2007, 03:47 AM
Not to mention Willis and Jordon were both a part of the better all around teams.

I'm not sure where it ranks but Baron's performance and heroics will be remembered as one of the all time great performances in sports history.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-04-2007, 03:48 AM
His performance was heroic. He played outside of his game. Something Dirk should have done.

sabar
05-04-2007, 03:53 AM
I was very impressed at what he was able to do and I was afraid that Dallas might foul him hard as a going-away present.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-04-2007, 03:56 AM
No Baron coming back in, would have had the whole team fall apart.

So he really showed up when they needed him, and those 11 points were the difference maker.

Then again, Stephen Jackson, made sure it wasn't for naught. Damn, I'm gonna keep following the Warriors into the second round, they play with a lot of heart.

Nbadan
05-04-2007, 04:00 AM
they could beat Houston or Utah, scary.

kris
05-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Great, great performance. It's hard to put in perspective since it just happened, but for him to shake off an obviously decent hamstring pull and play the way he did was incredible - especially when you look at how bad he played when he immediately came back. I thought he was done for sure.

That's what the playoffs is all about. Dirk should watch Baron replays to see what it's like to play with heart.

jman3000
05-04-2007, 04:09 AM
remarkable...kori tells me it's a 3 point lead for GS... then a 2... next message says Baron is hurt with a hamstring injury and i feel like it's probably gonna be over..... message or two later and GS is up by 19 in the 3rd and im floored.

he definitely lives up to his teams name.

Next Superstar
05-04-2007, 04:39 AM
The 06-07 Warriors cinderella run has only just begun, maybe we will see the spurs in the WCFs although I would much rather see the suns because the spurs have just been beaten us down the past 10 years.

Next Superstar
05-04-2007, 04:42 AM
To me, this beats Willis or even Jordan's flu game. Baron literally could not run, and yet scored 11 in a row while his team was about to lay down and die. I know I'm not the only one here who felt this was one of the most inspirational performances in NBA history. There's no way in hell any of this was faked or exaggerated: Baron was literally playing on one leg, and he really looked like crap trying to move after that injury.

20 points, 10 rebounds, and 6 assists in a game he had no business playing... one of the great performances in sports that will never be forgotten.

And to think we got Baron for the greatness that is Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis.

dmac
05-04-2007, 09:42 AM
GSW are going to run circles around Houston and Yao.

ambchang
05-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Kids, read up on Zeke.

baseline bum
05-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Kids, read up on Zeke.

That was so hard to see the Pistons lose that game. :(

Crookshanks
05-04-2007, 10:37 AM
I really liked how Baron gave SJax props in his post-game interview. He said SJax doesn't get enough credit for being a great basketball player. He also said he told Stephen that he (Baron) just didn' have it and needed him to have his back.

I also really liked SJax's comments in the post-game interview. He told how much Baron meant to him and how he stepped up to pick up the slack. Two really great TEAMMATES!

There's no way GS would've won that game without the great performances of both SJax and Baron. Good job!

SAGambler
05-04-2007, 10:45 AM

Indeed they could. Which gets me to wondering. If Houston manages to move on in the playoffs, how will Yao manage to fit into the scheme of things, with this type of offense that GS runs coming full force the entire game?

Yao already is one of the slowest players to get up and down the court, and the way GS heads up and shoots, Yao may best help the team by just camping out on one end or the other.

My guess is, if this matchup happens, Yao will be relegated to under 20 minutes a game. Which of course will play right into GS hands again. Also don't think Houston even has the capability for a small ball run and gun game for 48 minutes.

jman3000
05-04-2007, 10:49 AM
as mentally unstable as GS appears to be... you can really tell that this entire situation with sneaking into the playoffs and being the david to Dallas' goliath has seriously united them... and that may be more dangerous than any amount of talent they could have amassed.

SAGambler
05-04-2007, 10:49 AM
There is a player with pure heart to win. Dirk should take note.

Even with Avery throwing everything but the kitchen sink at him, he still managed to have a hell of a game, basically on one leg.

I've heard of the one legged man in an ass kicking contest before, but this is the first time I have actually seen it happen.

alamo50
05-04-2007, 10:54 AM
And Baron didn't act like he was dying out there when the camera was on him too (like Kobe, who is doing exactly that with no cameras around with his head on his wife's lap right now).

EVEN MORE respect and admiration to DA Baron after last night.

:ihit

Spursfan101
05-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Not as big as Finley

PM5K
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
No Baron coming back in, would have had the whole team fall apart.

So he really showed up when they needed him, and those 11 points were the difference maker.

Then again, Stephen Jackson, made sure it wasn't for naught. Damn, I'm gonna keep following the Warriors into the second round, they play with a lot of heart.

I think you hit the nail right on the head...

And for the record, this doesn't come close to Willis Reed, Baron strained his hamstring, Willis Reed played with a torn muscle.... Oh, and this was in the seventh game of the Finals for a ring...

GrandeDavid
05-04-2007, 11:47 AM

I'd have to say that last night's game, hell, his SERIES ranks as one of the all time great, clutch performances. Unbelievable.

LakerLanny
05-04-2007, 12:07 PM

I think they will beat either. Most likely Houston will win Game 7 at home and I don't think they match up well vs Golden St at all.

LakerLanny
05-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I think you hit the nail right on the head...

And for the record, this doesn't come close to Willis Reed, Baron strained his hamstring, Willis Reed played with a torn muscle.... Oh, and this was in the seventh game of the Finals for a ring...

Be serious. Willis Reed scored like 4 pts in that game, BDiddy was drilling off balance 1 legged three pointers for crissakes.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Kids, read up on Zeke.
:clap

PM5K
05-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Be serious. Willis Reed scored like 4 pts in that game, BDiddy was drilling off balance 1 legged three pointers for crissakes.

But he had a torn fucking muscle, he dragged his leg to get on the court, he inspired his team by winning the tip and scoring their first two baskets, you just can't fucking compare a torn muscle to a fucking strained muscle...

mikejones99
05-04-2007, 12:39 PM
SJAX was on FIRE!!!!!!!!! I bet less than 6 people in NBA history have made 7 three-pointers in a row.

ShoogarBear
05-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Be serious. Willis Reed scored like 4 pts in that game, BDiddy was drilling off balance 1 legged three pointers for crissakes.I understand why you might not want to remember that game. Wilt Chamberlain had demolished the Knicks (playing without Reed) with a 45 pts/27 rebs performance in Game 6. But when Reed stepped out onto the court for game 7 and scored the Knicks' first two baskets against Chamberlain, Game 7 of the Finals was essentially over.

mabber
05-04-2007, 02:25 PM
I understand why you might not want to remember that game. Wilt Chamberlain had demolished the Knicks (playing without Reed) with a 45 pts/27 rebs performance in Game 6. But when Reed stepped out onto the court for game 7 and scored the Knicks' first two baskets against Chamberlain, Game 7 of the Finals was essentially over.

Yeah, when he limped out on of the tunnel the crowd in MSG made the crowd in Oakland last night sound like a church league crowd. Then he actually started and scored the 1st 2 hoops and the place went into a frenzy.

wildbill2u
05-05-2007, 01:56 PM

I don't have the stats in front of me, but my remembrance of the Willis Reed bit was that his greatest contribution in that game was merely suiting up and walking onto the court. It inspired his teammates but his stats weren't particularly great.

Jordan's flu game isn't that memorable to me at least. Lots of folks have come off of flu bugs and played well.

Unfortunately for Davis, he's largely an unknown until this series and doesn't have the rep that Jordan and Reed had at the time of their games. Perhaps his finishing game feat and series-long effort will go down as the best and most inspiring in history. It was a magnificent effort and deserves to be right up at the top.

Tippecanoe
05-05-2007, 02:01 PM
nothing beats the flu game. nothing

BacktoBasics
05-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Jordan wasn't that sick he just does what Jordan always does and put on a show. Baron's game takes the cake. I wasn't around to the see the Reed game so I can't say.