PDA

View Full Version : If GS and SA meet in the WCFs...

greens
05-04-2007, 05:14 AM
First, I'd like to say that I'm thrilled that Golden State beat Dallas today! Awesome game!

Just wondering though, IF both Golden State and Spurs meet at the WCFs, what challanges would the Spurs face against them? Right now, I see a very confident GS team that really wants to win...and they've got great players and a great coach. However, the Spurs have a top notch defense...

I know that the Spurs still have to beat Suns, who are of course a great team...and it will be a long series...But I'm just wondering about the possible SA/GS match up in the WCFs if it happens...would the Spurs be able to beat them? How many games might it take? Or could GS upset the Spurs, like they did Dallas? Cuz seriously, they looked very confident, beating the Mavs...

word
05-04-2007, 07:00 AM
Considering that Dallas played no defense and everything GS threw up went in, I'd certainly HOPE it would be a totally different series. Dallas played ZERO defense. I think Denver could have played GS a tighter series. God that was a pathetic showing by Dallas. Wow !!

GrandeDavid
05-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Damn, I cannot even THINK past Phoenix. Not interesting in anything basketball-related which does not involve San Antonio vs. Phoenix. We need to remember how hungry Phoenix is, the fact that they are much better than they were in 2005. Make no mistake about it, the Spurs are dogs in this series and have a tough battle ahead. Let's focus on the series at hand.

NBA Junkie
05-04-2007, 07:13 AM
The Spurs have bigger fish to fry before thinking about GS or anyone else.

Kobulingam
05-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Spurs would sweep GS with 4 easy games.

Who is going to guard Duncan? Spurs would score heavy on them and they won't be able to do the same.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
05-04-2007, 07:25 AM
To borrow a line from Norman Dale in 'Hoosiers':

"There's a, um tradition in tournament play- not talk about the next step until you've climbed the one in front of you. I'm sure going to the [Conference] finals is beyond your wildest dreams, so let's just keep it right there."

nkdlunch
05-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Spurs should win. but then again, I would not be too surprised if GS loses. nothing surprises me anymore

one thing we got is Bowen. he could contain Baron. and we are pretty good at guarding the 3pts. And we got good post players. yeah. we would win.

bigfan
05-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Suns first, then think about the rest of them scrubs out there.

SAGambler
05-04-2007, 09:21 AM
If, and right now that is still a big if, GS makes it to the WCF along with the Spurs, my advice to everyone....including the team and Pop.......

Don't listen to Nellies "aw shucks, we really don't have a chance.....Maybe win one game, but that's about it" bullshit.

I think he managed to give Dallas a false sense of security and they got trapped in it. By the time they realized GS was for real, it was way too late.

SenorSpur
05-04-2007, 09:27 AM
GS is a very scary team right now. However they commit a ton of mistakes and costly turnovers. The Mavs simply couldn't take advantage of them.

The Spurs are more experienced, more methodical and a superior defensive team.

Solution: All Duncan, all the time.

StylisticS
Who cares, we'll(the Mavs) just take notes.

Seriously (i'm serious about the notes thing lol), if you get past the Spurs, then I don't think you will have that tough of a time with them. You matchup great with the Warriors. What kills the Warriors is a low post presence on the offensive end. We don't have that. You and Houston do.

florige
Damn, I cannot even THINK past Phoenix. Not interesting in anything basketball-related which does not involve San Antonio vs. Phoenix. We need to remember how hungry Phoenix is, the fact that they are much better than they were in 2005. Make no mistake about it, the Spurs are dogs in this series and have a tough battle ahead. Let's focus on the series at hand.

I'm in agreement. Phoenix is not Houston or Utah. This team had the 2nd best record in basketball folks, lets not forget that. I'm already getting jitters..

BigBeezie
05-04-2007, 09:30 AM
I have to agree with some of the other posts. We need to focus on beating Phoenix, and then we can talk about beating the Baron Davis'.

Budkin
05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I think both the Spurs and Suns are going to be extra motivated to win now considering that both of their biggest roadblock has been eliminated. This should be a good series. Spurs in 6 though.

Sec24Row7
05-04-2007, 10:48 AM
I would think that the Spurs would win. It would be sad though... Kind of like putting down Old Yeller...

In the end though... you have to kill your beloved pet in order for your family to live... Even though he did kill the wolf...

naico
05-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Suns first, then think about the rest of them scrubs out there.

agreed.

If it should happen Golden State would be the third run and gun team the spurs would face

Extra Stout
05-04-2007, 10:53 AM
First, I'd like to say that I'm thrilled that Golden State beat Dallas today! Awesome game!

Just wondering though, IF both Golden State and Spurs meet at the WCFs, what challanges would the Spurs face against them? Right now, I see a very confident GS team that really wants to win...and they've got great players and a great coach. However, the Spurs have a top notch defense...

I know that the Spurs still have to beat Suns, who are of course a great team...and it will be a long series...But I'm just wondering about the possible SA/GS match up in the WCFs if it happens...would the Spurs be able to beat them? How many games might it take? Or could GS upset the Spurs, like they did Dallas? Cuz seriously, they looked very confident, beating the Mavs...
GS matches up terribly against the Spurs. Plus, our superstar does not curl up into the fetal position in pressure situations.

But, that's neither here nor here, because the 61-21 Phoenix Suns are the task at hand.

Spursfan101
05-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Wow we have to beat Pheonix first. And i really dont think the warriors will get past either Houston or Utah

Mr. Body
05-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Phoenix is by far the toughest challenge, so let's regard them.

But for match-up hypotheticals, Golden State matches up with San Antonio is no good way. After a loss to them in November, the Spurs have crushed them the three next games, the last two during the Warriors' grand run to make the playoffs.

I'd mark the Spurs' chances versus Phoenix at somewhere above average. Their chances against Golden State would be nearly one hundred percent. No worries there.

bigFUNDAMENTAL
05-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Bowen can stop B. Diddy...Suns are their top priority right now

ThomasGranger
05-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Wow we have to beat Pheonix first. And i really dont think the warriors will get past either Houston or Utah

GS would/will have a much harder time against Utah than Houston, but if Davis is still limping around next week they won't get past anybody anyway.

2centsworth
05-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Spurs would sweep the Warriors and it wouldn't be close. Phoenix is going to be tougher, but I have a feeling the Spurs will sweep the Suns this time. I don't see how the Steve Nash Raja Bell backcourt will fair any better against the spurs than they did in Dallas. Tony is going to take them to basketball Hell.

ATXSPUR
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
while we cant look past the suns...I think its going kinda far to say our Spurs are dogs.

Cry Havoc
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Sorry for the thread hijack, but:

BEAT
THE
SUNS!!!!!

The_Worlds_finest
05-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Since we are just spectators and contribute next to nothing to the performance of the game unless you are at the game cheering, which then thier is scientific evidence that performance can be enhanced, there is nothing wrong with speculating what a spurs warriors wcf would match up like. With that said; In the last two meet ups v. Warriors Spurs win by 13 and deals them almost a franchise reocrd lose of 37 points...James White could be the player of the series in this one guys...

mabber
05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
GS is a very scary team right now. However they commit a ton of mistakes and costly turnovers. The Mavs simply couldn't take advantage of them.

The Spurs are more experienced, more methodical and a superior defensive team.

Solution: All Duncan, all the time.

You just need to realize that you better win your home games (that would be enough obviously). After what I've seen, I wouldn't want to "have" to win up in Oakland.

The_Worlds_finest
05-04-2007, 12:50 PM
OR....not have an idiot like cuban who thinks he knows bball better then pros influnce the team...IE running Nelson out only to have him come back and beat the holy living shit out of your team thus being on the dirk end of the stick of THE greatest upset in NBA history...cubans only answer is to make an attempt to buy the nba followed by running it into the ground much like the mavs...

mikejones99
05-04-2007, 12:58 PM
After the finals against PHX, the warriors could maybe beat SA once at Oakland. Spurs are on fire and have been for 2 months now. PHX is a good bet in first game though cuz if they don't win first one, they might not ever win

The_Worlds_finest
05-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Its as if 2005 was the exact same...

Tippecanoe
05-04-2007, 01:49 PM
a big difference between the mavs and the spurs is that we have a dominant post up player, and thats gonna be huge

my2sons
05-04-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm in agreement. Phoenix is not Houston or Utah. This team had the 2nd best record in basketball folks, lets not forget that. I'm already getting jitters..

keep in mind that 2nd best record came about because of a banned ref...

mabber
05-04-2007, 03:14 PM
a big difference between the mavs and the spurs is that we have a dominant post up player, and thats gonna be huge

Agreed. Finley & company are going to be getting a ton of wide open shots as the Warriors will run 2 players at Duncan the minute he gets the ball in the post. Duncan will have his pick of who to throw it back out to. Unlike Dirk, Duncan will not be able to be fronted.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the Warriors just put one guy (Piedrus or Harrington) on Duncan and let him get his points while trying to shut down the others.

How has GState played the Spurs in the past?

Mr. Body
05-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Of course, there's always the possibility that the Warriors just put one guy (Piedrus or Harrington) on Duncan and let him get his points while trying to shut down the others.

How has GState played the Spurs in the past?

Duncan would destroy Pietrus and probably Harrington. They're just too small. Biedrins would get some time, but if they single-cover Duncan, they're going to pile up fouls. They have absolutely no answer for the guy.

The current configuration of GSW - with Jackson and Harrington - got slaughtered by the Spurs late in the year. In both games James White got good playing time (and got popped pretty bad by Matt Barnes).

mabber
05-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Duncan would destroy Pietrus and probably Harrington. They're just too small. Biedrins would get some time, but if they single-cover Duncan, they're going to pile up fouls. They have absolutely no answer for the guy.

The current configuration of GSW - with Jackson and Harrington - got slaughtered by the Spurs late in the year. In both games James White got good playing time (and got popped pretty bad by Matt Barnes).

So the Warriors doubled Duncan most times?

itzsoweezee
05-04-2007, 03:33 PM
the warriors would get smoked. the mavs had no inside presence whatsoever on the offensive end. if popovich had played zone against dallas last year like the warriors did this year, it would've been an easy walk to the finals. instead he decided to play small ball and the mavs had a layup line to the basket. that shit still disgusts me.

mardigan
05-04-2007, 03:34 PM
So the Warriors doubled Duncan most times?
They couldnt really double him, we would play a lot of small ball and with our shooters, you cant really leave them. Plus our d totally takes them out of their game

mabber
05-04-2007, 03:39 PM
They couldnt really double him, we would play a lot of small ball and with our shooters, you cant really leave them. Plus our d totally takes them out of their game

I'd let Duncan have his 35-40pts and concentrate on slowing down everyone else if I were GState (and they actually played in the WCF's). That would play to the Warrior's strengths as they'd be able to use their quickness & athleticism to guard the perimeter. Of course, that's easier said than done vs. the Spurs.

LakerLanny
05-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I love what Golden St is doing and I expect them to wack Houston or Utah in the next round.

But SA would be a nightmare matchup for them, that would likely be a pretty easy series for your team.

greens
05-04-2007, 06:02 PM

Yeah, I realize that. Suns are doing very well this season...and Spurs/Suns series is going to be extremely tough...

I was just wondering about the possible match up with GS/SA...sort of a hypothetical question...no disrespect to the Suns team at all. The Spurs do have a major battle at their hands...not to mention that Barbosa has been excellent lately. So yup, I realize it's one step at a time. But I just can't help wondering what would happen with GS/SA...GS is really hot/on fire right now!

And yup, as others have said...I would not want SA to "have" to win in Oakland. The GS crowd is amazing, with all their yellow shirts: We believe...and loud too.

I missed the GS/SA games during the regular season...so I had no idea about the match up issues. But I do have faith in the defense of the Spurs. It's the best kind. So I doubt GS would be able to score so many open 3s against the Spurs like they did against Dallas.

I also think Bowen is the best defender in the league...so yeah, he'd be guarding Baron Davis the whole time. So I don't think he'll get too hot...still both GS and the Suns are looking pretty good right now. Spurs have a TOUGH road ahead.

The Suns/Spurs series...wow, that's not going to be easy at all...It might go to 7 games, even.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Not an issue. GS won't win round 2.

BUMP
05-04-2007, 06:08 PM
if the Spurs couldnt stop the Mavs small ball God knows what will happen when they have to play Golden State.

if the shots GS was throwing up were going in, then San Antonio wont beat them sorry.

the only way they can stop SA on defense is if they can push Duncan farther out of the paint.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-04-2007, 06:14 PM
if the Spurs couldnt stop the Mavs small ball God knows what will happen when they have to play Golden State.

if the shots GS was throwing up were going in, then San Antonio wont beat them sorry.

the only way they can stop SA on defense is if they can push Duncan farther out of the paint.

The Spurs aren't afraid of the Warriors and their fans like the Mavs are. We haven't lost 6 of 7 to GS entering the playoffs.

In any case, GS is out in round 2 anyway.

greens
05-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the good insights.

And yup, I don't know why GS beating Dallas was such a huge shocker...when they beat them pretty easily during the regular season, before the playoffs. It's all about the match ups, I guess.

The_Game
05-04-2007, 08:18 PM

NO

GS will beat the rockets. Utah will be tougher but GS have alot of weapons. Houston depend too much on two guys. GS are a TEAM

efrem1
05-04-2007, 09:00 PM
First Phoenix, then the rest. Save the banter for later.

TampaDude
05-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Stick to the team that's in front of you...one series at a time, folks!

edoubledwhy
05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
i've seen the regular season games vs the spurs, gs just doesn't matchup... what is it 18 consecutive losses in san antonio. match up isssues like mavs vs gs. except i'll tell you from the beginning that the regular season games mean something, unlike mavs fans: "blah blah this is playoff time blah blah whole different game blah blah 7 game series better team winssss"

they're right though, regular season dind't matter (67 wins), and the better team won.

florige
05-04-2007, 10:19 PM
keep in mind that 2nd best record came about because of a banned ref...

lol good point.

florige
05-04-2007, 10:22 PM

I think it depends on who they draw. If they draw utah I think they win in 6. If they draw Houston that all depends on how well Yao can run up and down the court with them. I say Houston would post more problems for them than Utah.

Admidave50
05-04-2007, 10:42 PM
I think both the Spurs and Suns are going to be extra motivated to win now considering that both of their biggest roadblock has been eliminated. This should be a good series. Spurs in 6 though.

Suns biggest roadblock is San Antonio! They had a big chance to beat the Mavs if they met them in the WCF!

Spurs should be motivated as the Mavs disappeared!

milkyway21
05-05-2007, 01:36 AM
You just need to realize that you better win your home games (that would be enough obviously). After what I've seen, I wouldn't want to "have" to win up in Oakland.
Thanks to Dallas, we play 4 games in S.A. AT&T(best of 7), for we will have home court advantage if we play GS in WC finals. But they have to win against Houston/Utah first. And us against Suns. It's a LONG, LONG way to go.
SA vs. GS? Spurs in 4 or 5

mavsfan1000
05-05-2007, 01:53 AM
If Elson is out there I don't see why the Warriors won't double team Duncan all the time. Also Duncan has his own matchup problems of having to guard the perimeter. Yes the spurs (or suns) have probably the best shot of knocking off the Warriors but it will not be easy. The rockets or jazz will get killed by the warriors I predict.