PDA

View Full Version : The Mavs and Mavs fans are a disgrace

Mavschick
05-04-2007, 09:31 AM
To all the pathetic Mavs fans in here who'll inevitably complain about how unfair it is getting piled on after our pathetic display against G.S., what total hypocrisy. You and the other Mavs fans in here spew b.s. all year denigrating the Spurs and the Suns and every other team and you have the nerve to whine when someone does it the Mavs. It's karma baby. You deserve to be shi_ on, you and all the lower-class mouth-breathing pathetic hilariously arrogant and smug Mavs loser fans who went around dismissing the quality of other teams, ie. GS, PHO, SA, etc., making personal attacks against their players, ie. Nash not being MVP-worthy, Duncan for being a "whiner", complaining incessantly about calls not going the Mavs' way, etc. I'm ashamed to be a Mavs fan, not just because DAL has now committed the two worst choke jobs in NBA history, but also because the team's fans this year have been so disgustingly arrogant. You would think we would have learned from last year's choke job, but we didn't. Mavs fans are just unable to understand the concept of humility. Well maybe this will help:

It's hilarious irony that:

1. Nash, the PG Mavs fans dumped on because they thought he just signed with PHO for the dough, is actually on a better team with a much more athletic and talented young core and a vastly brighter future than the Mavs;

2. Don Nelson, the coach that DAL dumped because he was viewed as being yesterday's man, totally outcoached Avery and directs a team that uses a style of play that DAL decided to reject a couple of years ago because it was viewed as outmoded;

3. DAL fans dismissed the Spurs touting the Mavs as being better because the Mavs were younger and more athletic, then the Mavs get beaten by a team that is younger and more athletic;

4. Mavs fans demand that Dirk win the regular-season MVP and receive recognition as the best player in the NBA this year, yet one of the supposedly lesser players in the league as viewed by Mavs fans like Duncan or Nash will lead their team a lot further into the playoffs than Dirk did.

Mavs fans have no credibility cheering for such a fraud of a team. They owe SA fans and the fans of every other team in the NBA an apology for denigrating their teams like classless twits.

timvp
05-04-2007, 04:31 PM
:lol Nice.

SpursWoman
05-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Are you really a Spurs fan in disguise? Because...dayum. :wow :lol

CubanMustGo
05-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Wow, Mavschick, I want you to have my child. :lol

degenerate_gambler
Even Stevie Kerr mentioned the arrogance of mav fan in the broadcast last night.

confined
i wouldnt say the suns have a brighter future than the mavs...mavs have howard and harris possiblly for a long time...once nash goes the rides pretty much over for the suns...and hes not getting any younger

RonMexico
05-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I don't think I could say it better myself. The only thing that would make it better would be comments from previous threads of things like "We dumped that bum Nellie" or "We learned that the Suns' style of play doesn't win in the playoffs" or probably the most prescient: "All of this doesn't matter until May/June anyways"

Well, Mavs sure bowed out long before June.

judaspriestess
05-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Wow!! I'm sorry you have to put up with lame fans.

Thank you for the great post :toast

SAtown
05-04-2007, 04:50 PM
:owned

Nice post, BTW. :toast

ratm1221
05-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Mavs fans have no credibility cheering for such a fraud of a team.

Move to San Antonio you fucking bandwagon fan. Please don't watch the fucking Mavericks next year.

Sincerely,

Avery Johnson

dknights411
05-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Post of the year!!!

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 05:26 PM
The only thing better than that post is the two other Mav fans proving her completely correct with their responses.

TheSanityAnnex
05-04-2007, 05:27 PM
:lmao

confined
05-04-2007, 05:29 PM
The only thing better than that post is the two other Mav fans proving her completely correct with their responses.
i really dont see how my post was arrogant...if speaking the truth is arrogant than yeah you're right

ratm1221
05-04-2007, 05:38 PM

She didn't prove anything. I've never said anything bad about the spurs... now spurs fans.. different story. I like the Spurs, I just don't like some of their fans.

ponky
05-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Are you really a Spurs fan in disguise? Because...dayum. :wow :lol

bingo

oh, btw mavschick, that "vastly brighter suns future" is now, how many more years do you see nash playing at this level? three times the charm? we'll see if that happens this year. if so, i will apologize, if they getbumped yet again, i'll just continue to laugh at your posts

Bibby_Gurl
05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
I find this strange, Who's this person really?

ShoogarBear
05-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Best 56-game stretch in US sports history.

:smokin

angel_luv
05-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Three Cheers for MavsChick- let em know! :toast

johngateswhiteley
05-04-2007, 06:08 PM
funny.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 06:31 PM
i really dont see how my post was arrogant...if speaking the truth is arrogant than yeah you're right
No, stating your opinion as fact to refute an opinion that was but a small part of a larger post, while completely failing to address the bigger point is short sighted and stupid. That you fail to see it as a perfect example of the arrogant "we're better than everyone" Mavs fan is hardly surprising.

She didn't prove anything. I've never said anything bad about the spurs... now spurs fans.. different story. I like the Spurs, I just don't like some of their fans.
No. You proved her right. Learn to read.

zekes
05-04-2007, 06:32 PM

MrChug
05-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Even Stevie Kerr mentioned the arrogance of mav fan in the broadcast last night.

I missed that...what'd he say????

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-04-2007, 09:07 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=21HbX_uK62w

How some Mavs fans responded :lol

Fillmoe
05-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Mavschick speaks the truth....... Everytime she posts......... best mavs fan on the board... I think im in love

THE SIXTH MAN
05-04-2007, 09:17 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
Good find.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Mavschick speaks the truth....... Everytime she posts......... best mavs fan on the board
Hell yeah. She's not delusional like some of the other mav fans that have past through this board.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-04-2007, 09:22 PM
But other than that I totally agree with here. If you're a mav fan and you get mad when you read that, then you were probably one of the dick head mav fans that came on this board to talk shit. This was one of those posts were she didn't name names, but those people know who they are when they read this. Great post.

mikekim
05-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Nice...I haven't been active on these forums for long and I had heard faint rumors of knowledgeable, respectful mavs fans...

In my short spurts of activity, I didn't really encounter these people so I kept it in my mind but mostly dismissed it as urban legends...

But alas! The tales were true!

Great post. Now, while I think we need something similar for certain Spurs fans, or any team's fans for that matter, Mavs fans seemed like they were over-due for a settin' straight...

edoubledwhy
05-04-2007, 10:19 PM
tell it like it is !

dav4463
05-05-2007, 05:11 AM
To all the pathetic Mavs fans in here who'll inevitably complain about how unfair it is getting piled on after our pathetic display against G.S., what total hypocrisy. You and the other Mavs fans in here spew b.s. all year denigrating the Spurs and the Suns and every other team and you have the nerve to whine when someone does it the Mavs. It's karma baby. You deserve to be shi_ on, you and all the lower-class mouth-breathing pathetic hilariously arrogant and smug Mavs loser fans who went around dismissing the quality of other teams, ie. GS, PHO, SA, etc., making personal attacks against their players, ie. Nash not being MVP-worthy, Duncan for being a "whiner", complaining incessantly about calls not going the Mavs' way, etc. I'm ashamed to be a Mavs fan, not just because DAL has now committed the two worst choke jobs in NBA history, but also because the team's fans this year have been so disgustingly arrogant. You would think we would have learned from last year's choke job, but we didn't. Mavs fans are just unable to understand the concept of humility. Well maybe this will help:

1. Nash, the PG Mavs fans dumped on because they thought he just signed with PHO for the dough, is actually on a better team with a much more athletic and talented young core and a vastly brighter future than the Mavs;

2. Don Nelson, the coach that DAL dumped because he was viewed as being yesterday's man, totally outcoached Avery and directs a team that uses a style of play that DAL decided to reject a couple of years ago because it was viewed as outmoded;

3. DAL fans dismissed the Spurs touting the Mavs as being better because the Mavs were younger and more athletic, then the Mavs get beaten by a team that is younger and more athletic;

4. Mavs fans demand that Dirk win the regular-season MVP and receive recognition as the best player in the NBA this year, yet one of the supposedly lesser players in the league as viewed by Mavs fans like Duncan or Nash will lead their team a lot further into the playoffs than Dirk did.

Mavs fans have no credibility cheering for such a fraud of a team. They owe SA fans and the fans of every other team in the NBA an apology for denigrating their teams like classless twits.

This post deserves another read !

smeagol
05-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Props to Mavschick

Man of Steel
05-05-2007, 07:40 AM

Mavs Chick is one sexy gal--she makes Eva Longoria look like a boy.

Man of Steel
05-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Move to San Antonio you fucking bandwagon fan. Please don't watch the fucking Mavericks next year-- because they suck so bad that watching them will make your balls shrink. Believe me--I know.Sincerely,

Avery Johnson

Dex
05-05-2007, 08:59 AM
I think Mavschick just took the spot for #1 Poster repping another team

Purple & Gold
05-05-2007, 02:26 PM
:clap :clap Wow, great post. Tell them how it really is.

bdictjames
05-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Sick post.

ATXSPUR
05-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Mavs chick! can I take you out?

way to put down the lesser fans.

mavsfan1000
05-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Bandwagon fan or a spurs fan in disguise.

DubMcDub
05-05-2007, 07:56 PM
:lol at Spurs fans who think this "chick" is actually a Mavs fan. Or a chick.

SpursFanFirst
05-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Well said, Mavschick...very impressive! :toast

velik_m
05-06-2007, 01:31 AM
Bandwagon fan or a spurs fan in disguise.

mavsfan1000
redirkulous

Position: Streaky Guard
Team: Phoenix Suns
vBookie Cash: $500

Mavsfan knows all about bandwagons.

mavsfan1000
05-06-2007, 01:45 AM
mavsfan1000
redirkulous

Position: Streaky Guard
Team: Phoenix Suns
vBookie Cash: $500

Mavsfan knows all about bandwagons.
Just for the rest of the playoffs. I'm a mavs fan at heart but I would like to see Nash get a ring if it isn't the mavs.

jmard5
05-06-2007, 03:21 AM

Wow. And I mean, WOW. :toast

Well, except for forgetting to add in your list how the Mavs booed ex-Mav Finley, your post practically summed it all up!

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2007, 03:23 AM
Just for the rest of the playoffs. I'm a mavs fan at heart but I would like to see Nash get a ring if it isn't the mavs.

finely > nash

in terms of who deserves a ring

if nash gets a ring, it means idiots like stoudemire and marion would get a ring, so fuck that

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 03:31 AM
finely > nash

in terms of who deserves a ring

if nash gets a ring, it means idiots like stoudemire and marion would get a ring, so fuck that
:lol

I used to think the Basketball gods were pretty good at weeding out the douchebags and asses...(that's why when Karl Malone suggested he might talk with the Spurs after the 2004 implosion, I even said, "then I'm rooting against the Spurs this year, if he signs.")

but after the Heat won, I gave up on weighing who should get the ring based on least-worthy vs. worthy players.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2007, 03:33 AM
bwahaha

i mean to this day i can't believe antoine fuckin walker has a ring

just wow

RobinsontoDuncan
05-06-2007, 06:54 AM
yeah but that just goes to prove that the basketball gods dont lie.... who would you rather have a ring-- Jason Terry and Mark Cuban-- or Dwayne Wade, Shaq, and Antonie Walker?

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 11:24 AM
yeah but that just goes to prove that the basketball gods dont lie.... who would you rather have a ring-- Jason Terry and Mark Cuban-- or Dwayne Wade, Shaq, and Antonie Walker?
I would rather Osama Bin Laden and Karl Malone had a ring than Mark Cuban.

Islymore
05-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Wow. What a post Mavschick... Interesting read. I'm not about to jump into any kinda debates over the choices the Mavericks have made regarding players and who they got rid of. I respect Finley, have nothing but love for Nash... but they chose to let those players go to build the team that they felt would better the team for the future.

However wrong those choices may have been and however wrong the repercussions of those choices may be, you are a fan of the team are you not? You dont have to be a fan of the fans. Fans everywhere are assholes... Fans of every NBA team talk the same shit all across the internet everywhere. So what? The fans dont make the decisions.

A true fan is a fan thru the good and bad. Does it make you mad that the Mavs were ousted 1rst round? That they failed to beat the Heat in the Finals last year? That they won 67-15 for a season to lose to a 8th seed? That we're the only team in TX without a Championship trophy??? All that pisses me off too... But, I'm still a fan even after all that. Call them what you want, but I still respect this team, I will continue to root for this team. Regardless of what poor decisions have been made, poor playin was done... I'm still a Dallas Mavericks fan. Sorry that you don't see things that way.

BUMP
05-06-2007, 01:32 PM
:lol

I used to think the Basketball gods were pretty good at weeding out the douchebags and asses

Rasheed Wallace

BigBeezie
05-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I would rather see Kobe get another ring before Jason Terry or Mark Cuban ever got to kiss that trophy.

Findog
05-06-2007, 06:29 PM
LMAO at anybody who thinks this is a real Mavs fan or that diehard Maverick fans have anything to apologize for. If "mavschick" is indeed a Mavs fan, I'm sure she has a pink #41 jersey, and she isn't familiar with the terms Aguirre, Blackman, Tarpley, Donaldson, 11 wins, Toni Braxton and the Three J's, Moody Madness, Reunion Rowdies, Don Carter, the shorthats logo, etc...

Trainwreck2100
05-06-2007, 06:32 PM
LMAO at anybody who thinks this is a real Mavs fan or that diehard Maverick fans have anything to apologize for. If "mavschick" is indeed a Mavs fan, I'm sure she has a pink #41 jersey, and she isn't familiar with the terms Aguirre, Blackman, Tarpley, Donaldson, 11 wins, Toni Braxton and the Three J's, Moody Madness, Reunion Rowdies, Don Carter, the shorthats logo, etc...

All she's saying is, most Mavs fans have talked alot of shit. And look what happened, you're team choked.

schadenfreude52
05-06-2007, 06:33 PM

:tu

Findog
05-06-2007, 06:42 PM
All she's saying is, most Mavs fans have talked alot of shit. And look what happened, you're team choked.

Not disputing any of that. But she said "Mavs fans" are a disgrace, not "bandwagon" Mavs fans, or "arrogant" Mavs fans, just painting with a broad brush. I have a great deal of respect for the Spurs and other elite franchises. I refuse to be lumped in with bandwagoners or 14 year old girls with pink Josh Howard jerseys.

Trainwreck2100
05-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Not disputing any of that. But she said "Mavs fans" are a disgrace, not "bandwagon" Mavs fans, or "arrogant" Mavs fans, just painting with a broad brush. I have a great deal of respect for the Spurs and other elite franchises. I refuse to be lumped in with bandwagoners or 14 year old girls with pink Josh Howard jerseys.

Well in her original post she does elaborate on which ones she is talking about. But yeah, not all of you were bad.

Findog
05-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Well in her original post she does elaborate on which ones she is talking about. But yeah, not all of you were bad.

Every fanbase has its share of idiots. Do you want to claim Spursdynasty? :p:

I just wonder if she recognizes the names of Walter Bond and Terry Davis, or any other members of the 11-win juggernaut that was the 92-93 Dallas Mavericks? As bad as the last 11 months have been for Maverick fans, I don't know that I want to go back to that.

Trainwreck2100
05-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Every fanbase has its share of idiots. Do you want to claim Spursdynasty? :p:

Your's more than most though, alot of you came and talked your shit and lost. I post on a Mavs board, and those guys are pretty cool. But all that shit talking pissed off alot of people here. I liked the Mavericks before last season. Not because you beat us but the way the fans handled it.

And cause Cuban slammed my town.

Findog
05-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Your's more than most though, alot of you came and talked your shit and lost. I post on a Mavs board, and those guys are pretty cool. But all that shit talking pissed off alot of people here. I liked the Mavericks before last season. Not because you beat us but the way the fans handled it.

And cause Cuban slammed my town.

I think the Mavericks have more than their share of bandwagoners than most, and that's because nobody gave a shit about this team until Cuban bought it and started spending money to field a contender. The fanbase we have is still maturing and has a lot of growing up to do. Hell, if there had been internet message boards during the Aguirre/Blackman era, I probably would talk a lot more shit than I do now. And while overall Cuban has been a godsend for this franchise, he's an arrogant son of a bitch, and a lot of fans take their cue from him. Cuban's biggest strength (his confidence and his creative thinking) is also his biggest weakness (he thinks his shit doesn't stink and he has no humility).

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 07:34 PM
I think the Mavericks have more than their share of bandwagoners than most, and that's because nobody gave a shit about this team until Cuban bought it and started spending money to field a contender. The fanbase we have is still maturing and has a lot of growing up to do. Hell, if there had been internet message boards during the Aguirre/Blackman era, I probably would talk a lot more shit than I do now. And while overall Cuban has been a godsend for this franchise, he's an arrogant son of a bitch, and a lot of fans take their cue from him. Cuban's biggest strength (his confidence and his creative thinking) is also his biggest weakness (he thinks his shit doesn't stink and he has no humility).
:bang
Yet another Mavs fan that completely fails to know his own team's history. Funny that you spout names from history without even knowing that the Mavs were in playoff contention, the big 3 intact, when Cuban bought the team. The only reason the Mavericks missed the playoffs that year is because Mr. Godsend signed Dennis Rodman to try to sell tickets.

Any Mavs fan that fails to acknowledge the unusually high percentage of jackass bandwagon fans is probably a jackass bandwagon fan themselves. I say that, noting that Mr. Findog did acknowledge exactly that.

dallasmavsnfuego214
05-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Yet another Mavs fan that completely fails to know his own team's history. Funny that you spout names from history without even knowing that the Mavs were in playoff contention, the big 3 intact, when Cuban bought the team. The only reason the Mavericks missed the playoffs that year is because Mr. Godsend signed Dennis Rodman to try to sell tickets.

thats true. after the strike shortened season (99?) we had a 40 win season and Cuban fucked it up in the middle of the year when he became owner and bought Rodman to try and gain more interest :lol

DubMcDub
05-06-2007, 07:42 PM
I think I'll make another username...perhaps "SpursGuy"... and post about how classless Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and the city of SA are.

That'd make my claims more valid. Right? :lol

confined
05-06-2007, 07:46 PM
i really dont get why everyone says the mavs choked in this series...they never had a lead in the series so there was no lead to choke away...last year's finals was a choke...but the mavs were just outplayed in this series

Findog
05-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Yet another Mavs fan that completely fails to know his own team's history. Funny that you spout names from history without even knowing that the Mavs were in playoff contention, the big 3 intact, when Cuban bought the team.

The Mavs were 10-24 into the 99-00 season with Nellie as coach, and Finley, Nash and Dirk on the roster when the sale was finalized. They finished 40-42, going 30-16 the rest of the way with Cuban as owner. Does 10-24 strike you as 'being in playoff contention'? And where did I fail to acknowledge those pieces were in place when Cuban bought the team? I'm sure even you know how to use google, go look it up.

It's true that they would've briefly become a contender anyway if Ross Perot Jr. had continued to own the team, but Cuban has been willing to pay the luxury tax, something Perot Jr. didn't want to do. I also doubt Perot Jr would've resigned Finley or given Dirk a max deal. Don't ever accuse me of failing to know my team's history. With all due respect, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, so it's doubly ironic that you think you can "school" a hard-core diehard Mavs fan about his own team's history. I tell you what, I won't lecture you about the Spurs and you can keep your mouth shut about the Mavs. :nope

Now please, let's get back to a retort along the lines of "three rings" or "chokers." I don't have a comeback for that. "Mavs fan owner" is meant to be sarcastic, no?

Findog
05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
thats true. after the strike shortened season (99?) we had a 40 win season and Cuban fucked it up in the middle of the year when he became owner and bought Rodman to try and gain more interest :lol

No, not true. Cuban bought the team early during the 99-00 season. We were 10-24 when the sale was finalized. We finished 40-42 after he took over. I'm not crediting him personally for the 30-16 turnaround, but my original point was that Cuban has been willing to spend money to field a contender...we're second in payroll and we're firmly in luxury tax territory. So not only is Obstructed View wrong on the facts, he just wants to knock down a strawman. "Mavericks fan owner" my ass. :lol

LilMissSPURfect
05-06-2007, 10:21 PM
humility is in order from their team, their owner and their fans ...... wow what a shame..... maybe now instead of making fun of and disgracing other teams as the intro to home games the can show some respect and keep it real...possibly doing like other nba teams ;;showing mavs (home team )at their greatest..... (one of the many things that bothered me as a fan)

JOHN 8

8:7 So when they continued asking him,He lifted up him self and said unto them "He that is without sin among you,let him first cast a stone at her

DubMcDub
05-06-2007, 10:26 PM
humility is in order from their team, their owner and their fans ...... wow what a shame..... maybe now instead of making fun of and disgracing other teams as the intro to home games the can show some respect and keep it real...possibly doing like other nba teams ;;showing mavs (home team )at their greatest..... (one of the many things that bothered me as a fan)

What in the hell are you talking about? The Mavs do no such thing at the intro to their home games.

Unless you think music by The Who disgraces other teams.

As for your general point, Spurs fans are just as arrogant, if not more so. It's pretty comical every time a Spurs fans calls out the Mavs for "being arrogant" and then immediately follows that statement with "THREE RINGS, BITCH!". :rolleyes

ponky
05-06-2007, 10:27 PM

we get it, let the thread die

mavs fans: mavschick is either 1. not a mavs fan or 2. a spurs fan
spurs fans: mavschicks is the greatest thing since sliced bread

Findog
05-06-2007, 10:28 PM
What in the hell are you talking about? The Mavs do no such thing at the intro to their home games.

As for your general point, Spurs fans are just as arrogant, if not more so. It's pretty comical every time a Spurs fans calls out the Mavs for "being arrogant" and then immediately follows that statement with "THREE RINGS, BITCH!". :rolleyes

Arrogance is telling me I don't know my team's history, while being wrong on the facts. I'll be honest, I don't know if you guys signed Terry Cummings as a free agent or traded to get him from Milwaukee...or who exactly was your sixth man for the 96-97 season, Chuck Person or Jaren Jackson. There's some great Spurs fans on this board, but there's also some arrogant people as well.

ponky
05-06-2007, 10:28 PM

JOHN 8

8:7 So when they continued asking him,He lifted up him self and said unto them "He that is without sin among you,let him first cast a stone at her

right, because i've never seen the coyote mascote kicking a *mavs* fan stand-in in the rear and pwning him every which way to sunday on the court during timeouts :rolleyes

loveThe23
05-06-2007, 10:43 PM

we get it, let the thread die

mavs fans: mavschick is either 1. not a mavs fan or 2. a spurs fan
spurs fans: mavschicks is the greatest thing since sliced bread

agree. yeah, which 'mavschick' fan has the guts to post a thread and own the dallas mavs and the organization? i dont know, i'm not falling for it. if she is a mavs fan, uh thumbs up then, i guess.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
No, not true. Cuban bought the team early during the 99-00 season. We were 10-24 when the sale was finalized. We finished 40-42 after he took over. I'm not crediting him personally for the 30-16 turnaround, but my original point was that Cuban has been willing to spend money to field a contender...we're second in payroll and we're firmly in luxury tax territory. So not only is Obstructed View wrong on the facts, he just wants to knock down a strawman. "Mavericks fan owner" my ass. :lol
Just because Cuban took on and paid out huge contracts, and was willing to pay them, including Finley's (which he's still paying for UIM), doesn't make the team any better. The personnel decisions made by the Nelsons were what carried the team through the '99-00 season; the team was indeed 10-24 on the day Cuban took ownership, but the team was in playoff contention the year he bought the team. Since you keep pointing that out, it sounds to me like you're crediting Cuban for the 30-16 turnaround. Since you are doing that, it seems like you'd be willing to credit him for the Rodman signing, which disrupted team chemistry, caused a rift between Cuban and Nelson and absolutely was the reason the team missed the playoffs. Again, this is despite your attempts to split hairs about the record on the exact date he took ownership.

If his contribution was, as you say, in his willingness to exceed the salary cap and re-sign players, I'm not sure how you think he could accomplish that within the first three months of owning the team.

If all Cuban did was sign checks, I agree that he might have been an improvement over Perot, but he didn't. He insisted on having a hand in personnel decisions. In addition to the Rodman debacle, thee were trades every single year, usually taking on big contracts, and re-signing players that Don Nelson hated, Shawn Bradley for example. In addition, he insisted on berating the officials, publicly making an ass of himself, and he worked feverishly to get the rules changed to further favor the offense in an attempt to get around the Spurs. In another show of karma, those very rule changes were used in the Finals to bounce his team in six games.

Thanks. I'll be here all your life.

Agloco
05-06-2007, 11:20 PM
i really dont get why everyone says the mavs choked in this series...they never had a lead in the series so there was no lead to choke away...last year's finals was a choke...but the mavs were just outplayed in this series

It was a series they were supposed to win, hence the choke label since it didn't happen. This makes the fact that they never had control of it even more pathetic.

Findog
05-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Just because Cuban took on and paid out huge contracts, and was willing to pay them, including Finley's (which he's still paying for UIM), doesn't make the team any better.

Agreed. There have been good and bad personnel decisions. Finley's contract is ridiculous now, but it was a young up and coming team, and its best player AT THE TIME was a free agent, and he happened to be drawing interest from a team 300 miles to the south that we were trying to surpass. Letting Nash walk is a 20/20 hindsight horrible mistake, but AT THE TIME he was 31 years old, had a history of not being durable and he had been owned repeatedly by Tony Parker and Mike Bibby in the playoffs. Trading Antawn Jamison for BOTH Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse was a GOOD move. Trading Juwan Howard and his monster contract for Nick Van Exel was a good move. Trading Van Exel when his stock was at its highest was a good move. Unloading Raef LaFrentz and his horrible contract for Walker and then using Walker as trade bait for Terry were good moves. Cuban is passionate and wants to win, and there are going to be missteps along the way, but he is the person who ultimately signs off on these deals that Donnie brings to his desks. If you want to criticize him for decisions that Donnie made by proxy that didn't work out, you have to credit him for the decisions that did turn out well. The point is that Ross Perot Jr was not the kind of owner who brought the same day to day passion and changed the culture of this franchise.

If his contribution was, as you say, in his willingness to exceed the salary cap and re-sign players, I'm not sure how you think he could accomplish that within the first three months of owning the team.

That was never my argument. When Cuban took over, it was a big deal, it was not Perot Jr selling the team to some corporate conglomerate. At the time that there was a day to day energy that had been missing, crowds came back to Reunion Arena, and the 99-00 team fed off all of the positive energy that Cuban brought. If you don't believe that, do you think the Warriors didn't benefit from the Oracle turning into a prison riot when the Mavericks came to town? Same roster, much different results. Guys cared more and weren't playing out the string.

If all Cuban did was sign checks, I agree that he might have been an improvement over Perot, but he didn't. He insisted on having a hand in personnel decisions.

Sometimes it's worked out, sometimes it hasn't. Cuban's far from perfect, and I think a lot of his antics have hurt this team. But the franchise's record speaks for itself since he took over, and we've gone further with Avery than we ever did with Don Nelson. We're making steady progress towards a title, and we'll get there eventually. The Mavericks are a franchise committed to winning, which you can't say about a good two-thirds of the teams in the league.

In addition to the Rodman debacle, thee were trades every single year, usually taking on big contracts, and re-signing players that Don Nelson hated, Shawn Bradley for example.

Like I said, some of those moves were good, some not so good. I would prefer an owner that is not willing to stand pat. When you compare what this team had in terms of a nucleus and how close it was to a title to where it is today, it's light years difference. If we had stood pat and kept the 99-00 team as intact as possible, we wouldn't be that great today. Steve Nash is in a system in Phoenix that has maximized his strengths and minimized his weaknesses. People forget we've gone farther without him than we ever did with him, and if he was still here, he'd still be a borderline All-Star, not a two-time MVP. Michael Finley would be an overrated aging starting two-guard, not a valuable role player on a championship team for San Antonio. Life is not static and neither is basketball. Some of our personnel decisions have been poor and some have worked out great. I'll take Cuban over Perot Jr anyday. As for Shawn Bradley, he was Don Nelson's pet project for years. He didn't give up on him until sometime midway through the 01-02 season.

In addition, he insisted on berating the officials, publicly making an ass of himself, and he worked feverishly to get the rules changed to further favor the offense in an attempt to get around the Spurs. In another show of karma, those very rule changes were used in the Finals to bounce his team in six games.

Agreed that he's a know it all that could learn some humility, but I'll take him with his faults over Perot Jr. Peter Holt doesn't own my team. I'll take the next-best thing. And your franchise's success owes far more to lucky ping-pong balls that having a stable, basketball-savvy management in place.

Again, this is despite your attempts to split hairs about the record on the exact date he took ownership.

I'm not splitting hairs, I'm pointing out facts. They were 10-24 and going nowhere when the sale was finalized. They took off immediately afterwards. Part of that was crowds coming back, players getting taken care of better in terms of posh treatment in the lockerroom, etc. You said they were in playoff contention when Cuban bought the team. That's not true. You then amended your statement to say that they were in playoff contention the season they bought the team. THAT is true. And you created a strawman argument claiming I didn't know my team's history so you could set up that statement.

ponky
05-07-2007, 12:05 AM
It was a series they were supposed to win, hence the choke label since it didn't happen. This makes the fact that they never had control of it even more pathetic.

if this was the case, then why even play the games? anyway, so you're not giving baron, sjax, j-rich and co any credit for their impressive win over the mavs? i'm not denying that the mavs didn't have their share of problems but the warriors played very well and if you have followed the *individual* careers of baron, sjax and j-rich, you'd know they are all very very capable ballers when healthy...not to mention the other good guys on their team.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-07-2007, 01:47 AM
They chose the lesser evil it seems. :lol

Not discounting the Basketball gods. But I think the Larry O'Brien Trophy may be an entity on its own..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yBPlr7ERzwM

bresilhac
05-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Post of the year!!!

I agree.

dav4463
05-07-2007, 04:16 AM
http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nba&id=general&tid=810393&lid=147

funny thread on espn.com

dav4463
05-07-2007, 04:19 AM

I like The Who.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2007, 10:51 AM
You said they were in playoff contention when Cuban bought the team. That's not true. You then amended your statement to say that they were in playoff contention the season they bought the team. THAT is true. And you created a strawman argument claiming I didn't know my team's history so you could set up that statement.
I basically agree with what you are saying other than the above. I never said that the Mavs were in playoff contention the second that he bought the team, you just assumed that's what I meant. I never amended anything, I just clarified that what you thought wasn't what I said. You clearly know Mavs history much better than the vast majority of your Mavs fan brethren.

As for the rest, we will have to agree to disagree on Mark Cuban's making the team better. While I agree that he's better than Perot, which isn't saying much, I think any change in ownership would have had the same impact on the fanbase and the team, without the debacle of the Rodman signing. In addition, I think that the Mavs would have had a better chance against the Warriors if they'd had Michael Finley on the team. Since one of your contentions is that Cuban's willing to pay the luxury tax, it seems an important point since Fin was a luxury tax casualty.

Findog
05-07-2007, 11:34 AM
As for the rest, we will have to agree to disagree on Mark Cuban's making the team better. While I agree that he's better than Perot, which isn't saying much, I think any change in ownership would have had the same impact on the fanbase and the team, without the debacle of the Rodman signing.

The only thing that cost us was an opportunity to get swept by the Lakers in the first round.

In addition, I think that the Mavs would have had a better chance against the Warriors if they'd had Michael Finley on the team.

I haven't watched much Spurs games this year. Does he drive to the basket anymore? Or is he the designated three-point specialist? His last couple of years he was strictly a jumpshooter, so I don't know how much of a difference he would've made.

Since one of your contentions is that Cuban's willing to pay the luxury tax, it seems an important point since Fin was a luxury tax casualty

As much as I love Finley, that was the right move, since his salary doesn't count against the cap even though we're still paying him. 16 points per game on 42% shooting doesn't justify 20 million per year, which is what he'd be doing if he were still here. OTOH, with Harris poised to take over the starting point guard job, and Terry too undersized to play the two, we do need a new shooting guard along with a back to the basket scorere.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2007, 12:22 PM
The only thing that cost us was an opportunity to get swept by the Lakers in the first round.
A playoff appearance for the worst team in the decade would have been a big deal, win or lose. The mavs might have been the 8 seed, but those have been known to win on occasion.

I haven't watched much Spurs games this year. Does he drive to the basket anymore? Or is he the designated three-point specialist? His last couple of years he was strictly a jumpshooter, so I don't know how much of a difference he would've made.
Finley was huge in the series against the Mavs last year. I presume you saw that. He's also shown up for big games and big moments this season. Tell me the Mavs couldn't have used that.

As much as I love Finley, that was the right move, since his salary doesn't count against the cap even though we're still paying him. 16 points per game on 42% shooting doesn't justify 20 million per year, which is what he'd be doing if he were still here. OTOH, with Harris poised to take over the starting point guard job, and Terry too undersized to play the two, we do need a new shooting guard along with a back to the basket scorere.
Funny that, after praising Cuban's willingness to spend money, one would defend cutting a player strictly for financial reasons. In addition, Cuban signed Fin to that contract; it's not like he inherited it. And just to clarify: Fin's salary does count against the cap, it just isn't counted when the luxury tax is calculated. There was nothing to gain but the money saved on the tax.

Findog
05-07-2007, 12:39 PM
And just to clarify: Fin's salary does count against the cap, it just isn't counted when the luxury tax is calculated. There was nothing to gain but the money saved on the tax

Duh, brainfart on my part. However, that is money saved down the road to be used for personnel acquisitions...It's not good in terms of building a contender to pay that tax. Cuban has a billion dollars, don't tell me he cut Fin to save $50 million for his own personal use.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2007, 12:47 PM
That is money saved down the road to be used for personnel acquisitions...Cuban has a billion dollars, don't tell me he cut Fin to save $50 million for his own personal use.
If that's the case, then I'm confused. He's using his personal money to pay for players, so if he saves money, it's his personal money. The whole advantage of having a billionaire owner that's willing to exceed the salary cap is that he's going to be using his own money, right?

I saw your addition above. Why should Mavs fans care about how much something costs Cuban? It's all Monopoly money to him.

It's funny that two guys he let go for monetary reasons have been big contributors to playoff teams, and might have been useful this year. Seems contrary to his purpose.

Again, I agree that he's an improvement over Ross Perot, but who isn't? Honestly.

It's so rare to find a Mavs fan that actually knows the team around here. I must say, it's refreshing. We might hammer out some common ground, here. :)

nkdlunch
05-07-2007, 12:50 PM

you forgot to mention Mike Finley

Findog
05-07-2007, 01:06 PM
It's funny that two guys he let go for monetary reasons have been big contributors to playoff teams, and might have been useful this year. Seems contrary to his purpose.

Well, that's irony for you. We had no control over the destination of either. In the case of Nash, who predicted he would become a two-time MVP? He's a better player than he was in Dallas, and he's improved at an age when most guys start to decline in their skill-set.

Again, I agree that he's an improvement over Ross Perot, but who isn't? Honestly.

Herb Kohl. George Shinn. Clay Bennett. Donald Sterling. The guy that owns the BETcats. James Dolan. The corporate conglomerate that owns the Hawks. The guy that owns the Warriors.

It's so rare to find a Mavs fan that actually knows the team around here. I must say, it's refreshing. We might hammer out some common ground, here. :)

Thanks. We're not all bad. You can't judge a team's fanbase by the shallow pool. I know Spursdynasty is not representative of all spurs fans.

judaspriestess
05-07-2007, 02:19 PM

wow, what spiteful and vindictive fans the mavs have.

they are damned if they do and damned if they don't but it is also something they brought on to themselves.

conversekid
05-07-2007, 04:03 PM
It's true... my assistant talked all year about the Mavs... spurs suck, suns suck, every one sucks... mavs rule... duncan is old and sucks... manu sucks... on and on... i told him don't get excited about the regular season, just wait until the playoffs... just suck suck suck all year long... he's since moved on to a new job... after GS blew dallas up??? he won't return any of my emails... heheh

Obstructed_View
05-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Well, that's irony for you. We had no control over the destination of either. In the case of Nash, who predicted he would become a two-time MVP? He's a better player than he was in Dallas, and he's improved at an age when most guys start to decline in their skill-set.
He took a lot more punishment in Dallas than he did in Phoenix, so the perception that he might be breaking down was valid. Phoenix also absolutely had to have a decent point guard to run D'Antoni's system, and Nash was the only one available, so they were going to overpay him. I'm still firmly of the belief that Nash isn't any better now than he was in Dallas, so the Mavs wouldn't have benefitted the same way the Suns did by his presence. That said, Nash would have been more help than harm against the warriors, because he'd at least have made some shots while being torched.

Herb Kohl. George Shinn. Clay Bennett. Donald Sterling. The guy that owns the BETcats. James Dolan. The corporate conglomerate that owns the Hawks. The guy that owns the Warriors.
That's a great list, but none of them are as bad as Perot's group was. I don't know if any major pro sports team was undercut as badly, even the Clippers. I don't remember specifics, but it seems like the Mavs had an old rickety plane that broke down all the time. They'd have to go out and find a place to eat once they got to another city for a game, even if they arrived at three in the morning because they were staying in ramshackle little hotels without room service. To his credit, Cuban fixed that immediately, but it's difficult to believe any ownership group wouldn't have improved on that situation.

Thanks. We're not all bad. You can't judge a team's fanbase by the shallow pool. I know Spursdynasty is not representative of all spurs fans.
Unfortunately, folks like you have been the extreme minority since the western semis last year. Stick around.

LB7
05-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Other teams fans really like when a so-called mav fan calls out her own...shocking.

ratm1221
05-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Thread closed.http://budgetstockphoto.com/samples/pics/padlock.jpg