PDA

View Full Version : Dallas media RIPPING Dirk a new one

DarrinS
05-04-2007, 11:49 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/jtaylor/stories/050407dnspotaylor.3dda6d5.html

2centsworth
05-04-2007, 11:50 AM
They need to trade him to the Spurs for Scola and Oberto.

DarrinS
05-04-2007, 11:51 AM
My favorite is the last paragraph...

Until the end of time, the 2007 Mavericks will be known as one of the softest teams in professional sports. A team devoid of character and heart, when it mattered most. It's a fitting moniker that starts with their best player.

Spursfan101
05-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Last year and all this season he was praised like a king. Funny what a good ol' ass kicking can do.

Dave McNulla
05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
i'm starting to feel sorry for him. devoid of character? maybe he's not tough as nails, but there are many aspects to character. i think he showed character in a lot of ways that count since the loss.

LakerLanny
05-04-2007, 12:27 PM
i'm starting to feel sorry for him. devoid of character? maybe he's not tough as nails, but there are many aspects to character. i think he showed character in a lot of ways that count since the loss.

What a hatchet job.

Dirk had a poor series, but the reality is he put that franchise on the map and is the best player they have ever had.

DallasFan
05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
What a hatchet job.

Dirk had a poor series, but the reality is he put that franchise on the map and is the best player they have ever had.

Wanna trade Dirk for Kobe? :drunk

DarrinS
05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
What a hatchet job.

It's one thing to get outplayed. It's quite another to give up.

RiverwalkParade
05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm a fan of Dirk, but the Mavericks are better off without him now. The fan base has basically turned on him because they are easily swayed by the media and quick to point fingers. Just like they pointed the finger at Cuban for the choke job last year in the Finals, claiming that his complaints to the refs were the reason for lopsided officiating instead of the reality of, jump shooters don't get fouled as often as those that drive the hoop.

Given that Dirk will most likely win the MVP award, but has viutally disappeared in the playoffs for his career, what is his trade value? Who will they get for this guy. We already know that Cuban has no loyalty: ref. Don Nelson, Steve Nash and Michael Finley for clear examples of this. Cuban is playing NBA Live '07 right now to figure out the best trade scenarios for Dirk, guaranteed.

duncan228
05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Dirk is their leader. He disappeared for all but 7 minutes of this series. He spoke publicly about it being over before game 4. How can any team, no matter how good, win behind that kind of leader?

It's like Karl throwing his player under the bus. A team cannot function with that attitude in the locker room.

Give me Duncan over anybody. After his worst game he comes back fighting. He never mouths off to the media about his coach or his teammates. Because of Duncan's and Pop's leadership the Spurs remain elite contenders in this league. I expect no less from the leader of a team.

Dallas should be disappointed in Dirk. I am and I'm not a Dallas fan.

Dave McNulla
05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
see 2001 western conference finals

it's only a moment in time. it's not his whole life.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 12:50 PM
2007-2008 Mavericks:

Devin Harris
Jason Terry
Josh Howard
Lamar Odom
Andrew Bynum

dmac
05-04-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm a fan of Dirk, but the Mavericks are better off without him now. The fan base has basically turned on him because they are easily swayed by the media and quick to point fingers. Just like they pointed the finger at Cuban for the choke job last year in the Finals, claiming that his complaints to the refs were the reason for lopsided officiating instead of the reality of, jump shooters don't get fouled as often as those that drive the hoop.

Given that Dirk will most likely win the MVP award, but has viutally disappeared in the playoffs for his career, what is his trade value? Who will they get for this guy. We already know that Cuban has no loyalty: ref. Don Nelson, Steve Nash and Michael Finley for clear examples of this. Cuban is playing NBA Live '07 right now to figure out the best trade scenarios for Dirk, guaranteed.
Dirk could avoid a lot of greif and change his to name to Alex Rodriguez.

Trainwreck2100
05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
2007-2008 Mavericks:

Devin Harris
Jason Terry
Josh Howard
Lamar Odom
Andrew Bynum

If they are gonna unload Dirk they damn well better send Terry with him.

degenerate_gambler
05-04-2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/90854.html

Mark in Austin
05-04-2007, 01:36 PM
All this proves is that the Dallas media is as bandwagon as most of the fans.

conversekid
05-04-2007, 01:36 PM
The worst thing Johnson and Cuban can do is return the core of this team intact

As much as I hate the mavs, this guy is way off base. We were SWEPT by the lakers and it seemed our team gave up... they looked like lost little girls. We kept our core intact and kept pounding away. They don't need to get rid of Dirk. All this did was point out the glaring weakness Dallas has - they have no low post threat. All they needed in this series was a tough, low post player, who can score the basket. That would have allowed them to dictate the tempo of the game. That's how the Spurs beat the warriors. The Mavs are a good team; they just need one more piece. To toss Dirk aside now, as much as I'd be happy :lol , would set them back 10 years.

DannyT
05-04-2007, 01:40 PM
All this proves is that the Dallas media is as bandwagon as most of the fans.

wouldnt you bandwagon too if your team never won shhhhhit

Alamode
05-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm no Dirk fan but dang.......hard-core criticism on par with almost saying "he should have never been born." Dallas has every right to be disappointed with all the high expectations but to put it all on one guy, I'm a-l-m-o-s-t feeling sorry for him. Thanks goodness the San Antonio writers mostly support our players--even after the large screw-up that happened with Manu last year. We all didn't crucify him--well some did--but appreciated his overall playoff efforts. I guess that's the difference in city support. Sad......... :(

FromWayDowntown
05-04-2007, 01:43 PM
What a hatchet job.

Strangely enough, I absolutely agree with Laker Lanny.

I never thought I'd see this day.

mFFL03
05-04-2007, 01:44 PM
good lord, what is this knee-jerking

BacktoBasics
05-04-2007, 01:46 PM
I hate the Mavs but that article was ridiculous. Who exactly are they going to get that would equal the talent of Dirk. It was simply a bad matchup for Dallas and Nellie out coached Avery. Life will go on. If Dallas hadn't meet GS in the first round its highly likely they would have won a ring.

ShoogarBear
05-04-2007, 01:46 PM
The worst thing Johnson and Cuban can do is return the core of this team intact

As much as I hate the mavs, this guy is way off base. We were SWEPT by the lakers and it seemed our team gave up... they looked like lost little girls. We kept our core intact and kept pounding away. They don't need to get rid of Dirk. All this did was point out the glaring weakness Dallas has - they have no low post threat. All they needed in this series was a tough, low post player, who can score the basket. That would have allowed them to dictate the tempo of the game. That's how the Spurs beat the warriors. The Mavs are a good team; they just need one more piece. To toss Dirk aside now, as much as I'd be happy :lol , would set them back 10 years.I think it is true to some extent. Dallas has to do something; they can't stand pat. The psychological ramifications are just too great.

They could try to trade Dirk, but would get nowhere near equal value at this point.

They aren't going to get anything worthwhile for older guys with big contracts like Stack and Terry.

Their only hope is to move someone like Howard and/or Harris and some picks for another frustrated star like KG or Vince.

BacktoBasics
05-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Who said Vince was frustrated? No reason to not bring the same team back. Just do everything they can to stay away from Nellie and GS.

ShoogarBear
05-04-2007, 01:51 PM
The Mavs could bring the same team back and go 82-0 in the regular season and no one would believe they were for real.

JoeChalupa
05-04-2007, 01:52 PM
I actually feel sorry for the guy. I know he really wanted to win but wanting is not the same as desire.

BacktoBasics
05-04-2007, 01:56 PM
The Mavs could bring the same team back and go 82-0 in the regular season and no one would believe they were for real.That gave me a good laugh

ATRAIN
05-04-2007, 02:00 PM
You know I dont feel sorry for Dirk, and I dont feel sorry for A-rod(as mentioned above). they get paid the big bucks and teams hire them for the role of a leader/best player in the team. Yeah Dirk is a great player, but when it came down to it in the clutch siutation, he has choked. Should the mavs get rid of him......NO!! Its hard to put blame on really one person. Just like what Avery did to us, Nelly did to them. He knows the players, knows the system, knows thier weeknesses and that is why we have GS in the 2nd round. Yes Davis was a baller, but come on does anyone honeslty believe they can keep up with the Rockets/Suns/Spurs.

JoeChalupa
05-04-2007, 02:08 PM
I concur. I guess I'm a softy.

MoSpur
05-04-2007, 02:12 PM
That article was a bit tough, but in some ways true. I would take Dirk in a heartbeat. He is very good, but obviously gave up. As a leader, he can't do that. I am sure the Mavericks will be good for years to come. Its not like this was his last chance to prove what he can do. I am sure he will. David Robinson was always criticized for being soft. It took Duncan and Avery to help David capture his first.

ambchang
05-04-2007, 02:25 PM
It may be shocking, but did people ever stop to think that, perhaps, the Mavs lost simply because the Warriors is one of the few teams that can expose the weakness of the Mavs?
Why does it always have to be "heart", and the losing team being "soft"?

NoMoneyDown
05-04-2007, 02:32 PM
It may be shocking, but did people ever stop to think that, perhaps, the Mavs lost simply because the Warriors is one of the few teams that can expose the weakness of the Mavs?
Why does it always have to be "heart", and the losing team being "soft"?

Golden State averaged over 104 PPG in this series, including almost 109 PPG in the last 3 games, so maybe the "D" has once again left Dallas (er, _allas)?

Suck My Blurr
05-04-2007, 02:33 PM
My favorite is the last paragraph...

Until the end of time, the 2007 Mavericks will be known as one of the softest teams in professional sports. A team devoid of character and heart, when it mattered most. It's a fitting moniker that starts with their best player.

The SPURS are the SOFTEST TEAM OF ALL TIME!

SPURS = SOFT

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/QH4oBlj%24trSvLBldI2BoRw%3D%3D17064

The Truth #6
05-04-2007, 02:41 PM
I wonder if they ran out of steam by the time they hit the playoffs. Did they peak too soon? I know that sounds like a cop-out but I'm trying to think if there are reasons other than Dirk's no-show for why the Mavs fell apart.

Pop was smart in making sure the team was peaking at the right time. Avery was like a bulldog on their ass from the get-go, which I'll admit was important when they limped out of the start gate, but overall he focused too much on the regular season.

It's not the main reason, but I think its an important reason to consider.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 02:54 PM
AJ changed for the playoffs and I don't know why. I didn't see him smile the entire regular season and then he suddenly had his cheese-eating "aw shucks" attitude during the pressers in the Warriors series. I don't understand it at all. AJ just got another lesson from Nellie.

mabber
05-04-2007, 03:01 PM
AJ changed for the playoffs and I don't know why. I didn't see him smile the entire regular season and then he suddenly had his cheese-eating "aw shucks" attitude during the pressers in the Warriors series. I don't understand it at all. AJ just got another lesson from Nellie.

Avery still has a ways to go to become a really good coach.

FromWayDowntown
05-04-2007, 03:13 PM

SPURS = SOFT

That's rich -- a Suns fan calling the Spurs "soft."

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Avery still has a ways to go to become a really good coach.
I think he's excellent, but he seemed to be unwilling to give the Warriors any bulletin board material and said the right thing, which ended up coming across as "just happy to be here", the death knell for the favorite. I'd bet that he never makes that mistake again.

But you are right, AJ has a way to go, as does his team. Coaches typically don't just figure it all out right away, despite having the greatest regular season record of all time. Same goes with players. The Mavs are still paying their dues. Almost everyone has to go through it before they win.

Crookshanks
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
I agree with what Steve Kerr said last night - he said he talked with Flip Saunders about what was happening with Dallas and Flip said the same thing happened to the Pistons last year.

They were on such a roll that they didn't have to play any meaningful games for about the last 6 weeks of the regular season. They lost their hunger and their edge and it cost both the Pistons last year and the Mavs this year.

Testing
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
This wasn't all on Dirk and the media is blowing it out of proportion for the sake of sparking debate.

Warriors were built to stop Dirk, it was up to the rest of his team mates to make shots to spread the floor. He showed up in Game 5 didn't he?

Last year, Kobe had a complete flop of a game in Game 7 against the Suns, passed up open shots, regused to take over even in the blowout, etc....where was all this Kobe is soft crap then?

Dave McNulla
05-04-2007, 03:18 PM

SPURS = SOFT

whatever helps you sleep at night...

mabber
05-04-2007, 03:19 PM
I think he's excellent, but he seemed to be unwilling to give the Warriors any bulletin board material and said the right thing, which ended up coming across as "just happy to be here", the death knell for the favorite. I'd bet that he never makes that mistake again.

Coaches typically don't just figure it all out right away, despite having the greatest regular season record of all time. The Mavs are still paying their dues. Almost everyone has to go through it before they win.

Avery certainly doesn't make many mistakes twice. For the most part, Avery can definitely motivate (although the Mavs didn't seem motivated until game 4 of this past series) with the best of them but he's still learning some of the nuances of coaching....but, like you said, coaches typically don't just figure it all out right way.

I'd still rather have him than Nellie.

mabber
05-04-2007, 03:20 PM
This wasn't all on Dirk and the media is blowing it out of proportion for the sake of sparking debate.

Warriors were built to stop Dirk, it was up to the rest of his team mates to make shots to spread the floor. He showed up in Game 5 didn't he?

Last year, Kobe had a complete flop of a game in Game 7 against the Suns, passed up open shots, regused to take over even in the blowout, etc....where was all this Kobe is soft crap then?

Kobe got BBQ'd for that effort.

florige
05-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm no Dirk fan but dang.......hard-core criticism on par with almost saying "he should have never been born." Dallas has every right to be disappointed with all the high expectations but to put it all on one guy, I'm a-l-m-o-s-t feeling sorry for him. Thanks goodness the San Antonio writers mostly support our players--even after the large screw-up that happened with Manu last year. We all didn't crucify him--well some did--but appreciated his overall playoff efforts. I guess that's the difference in city support. Sad......... :(

Because we all realized while Manu's mistake was dumb, and came at the wrong time and probably cost us a trip to the finals, we also remember if it weren't for his heroics we wouldn't have never beaten Detroit for the title in 05. I was more upset last season that the fact that we lost, not the fact that Manu fouled Dirk. That was probably the only call those idiot refs got right the entire series.

Islymore
05-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Well the Dallas media is full of idiots who might make a factual statement every ten articles IMO... being from Dallas, I havent even read any of those articles bc they do the same thing every year. When the team/player is in topnotch condition - its nothing but praise, too much praise sometimes. When the team/player is down in the dumps - they jump on him bad.

Altho Dirk had a horrible showing in the postseason - no one can imagine the amount of criticism he has been giving himself. Dirk is a very internal person - he will never display his feelings for the paper/fans... but I'm sure he's hurt. He may have even cried. And I still respect him at the end of the day.

The fans in Dallas are shit. Sorry, its the truth. You could see it plain as day during the games on TV, even at the arena sometimes its silence... its sad. *sorry went off topic* But the fans in Dallas will be ready to crucify you at the drop of a dime.

I think Dirk will be in Dallas until his contract is up, I wouldn't think of trading Dirk for something that will not guarantee us a LOB, but if its for a unit that will make the Mavs legit contenders - then I'm all for trading him, I would prefer to bring in someone to aid Dirk if possible. A low post scorer, someone with some weight, someone not afraid to take some contact. But I doubt we can bring in someone, keep Dirk, keep Josh. I'm sure all teams are gonna want us to disband our big 3 and who wants TERRY? :lmao:

Bruno
05-04-2007, 03:22 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but he isn't a Suns fan, it's KB24 new nickname.

Testing
05-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Not like Dirk is right now....

Either way, a larger portion of the blame IMO falls on Avery, Howard, and Jason Terry. Jason Terry was a compelte no show int his series. Howard the All Star showed up for the first half of games only, and Avery failed to make proper adjustments, motivate his team, and capitalize on his team's strength.

If the Spurs lost with Duncan playing bad, sure a lot of blame would go on him...but it also would go on Pop, Manu, and Tony just as much.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 03:24 PM
I'd still rather have him than Nellie.
Considering that AJ had been deeper into the playoffs than Nellie going into this matchup, it's a good choice. Too bad AJ didn't learn from Pop last year about abandoning your centers for the sake of a matchup.

Islymore
05-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Not like Dirk is right now....

Either way, a larger portion of the blame IMO falls on Avery, Howard, and Jason Terry. Jason Terry was a compelte no show int his series. Howard the All Star showed up for the first half of games only, and Avery failed to make proper adjustments, motivate his team, and capitalize on his team's strength.

If the Spurs lost with Duncan playing bad, sure a lot of blame would go on him...but it also would go on Pop, Manu, and Tony just as much.

Howard always showed up for first half of games only - he did that all season. Typically Dirk was The Closer *shout out to TNT for those 50 million clips in the corner of my tv*....

edit: And I agree on the Terry being a NO SHOW comment..

And to the above poster I wish AJ would have learned that lesson from Pop last season... Well - let's hope he's learned it now. I dont know how this will affect the team next season...

ratm1221
05-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Dirk had a bad series, so what. He'll be ready to go next year. The media used to say the same shit about Peyton Manning, but everyone jumped on his fucking bandwagon when he won the Super Bowl. F 'em. Let them talk all they want. Dirk will have his year, it just wasn't this one.. or last one :p: .

SpursWoman
05-04-2007, 03:46 PM

I don't think English is this person's first language. :lol

bdictjames
05-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I'd have Nellie as the assistant coach. Spurs would be unstoppable in offense and defense.

StylisticS
05-04-2007, 04:35 PM
I agree with what Steve Kerr said last night - he said he talked with Flip Saunders about what was happening with Dallas and Flip said the same thing happened to the Pistons last year.

They were on such a roll that they didn't have to play any meaningful games for about the last 6 weeks of the regular season. They lost their hunger and their edge and it cost both the Pistons last year and the Mavs this year.

It was interesting when he said it and it made alot of sense. The Pistons in the playoffs last year did not look good whatsoever. They didn't even look good in the first round. If they played a team that matched up well with them, they would have given them problems like GS did to Dallas.

LakerLanny
05-04-2007, 05:29 PM

I don't think he gave up. Warriors had guys shadowing him the whole series, the Mavs guards did not do a good job getting him the ball in his usual scoring positions.

The refs also let Stephen Jackson in particular get away with a lot of hands and holding on him, very surprising as I have seen fouls called for a lot less.

When you are a forward or center, you are somewhat dependent on your guards to get you the ball to do your thing. The media sheep always spew drivel like "Dirk needs to step up" but there isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do when you are being fronted and your teammates won't reverse the ball.

The Mav who fell off most sharply from last year playoffs and the regular season this year was NOT Dirk Nowitzki.

Anyone want to guess who it was? I'll give you a hint, his last name rhymes with Fairy.

LakerLanny
05-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Strangely enough, I absolutely agree with Laker Lanny.

I never thought I'd see this day.

Isn't it nuts? :lol

Now that my team is no longer a threat to win titles, I am back to just being a regular basketball fan instead of a foaming at the mouth, ref hating homer.

But I still do hate the refs! :nope

bigfan
05-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Though Im no Mavs fan, Dirk didnt give up. The Mavs got out played and out coached by a hungrier team. Yes, a horrible series by the Mavs, obviously, but there is alot of piling on Dirk right now. Where is the piling on of Jason Terry? Man, he sucked during this series. Anyway, the better team won and Houston or the Jazz better look out.

dallaskd
05-04-2007, 05:37 PM
good article. awesome.

LakerLanny
05-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Wanna trade Dirk for Kobe? :drunk

Kobe for Dirk, Howard and Brass Balls Stackhouse and I'll drive to Dallas in the Yugo and pick up those guys personally! :toast

confined
05-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Kobe for Dirk, Howard and Brass Balls Stackhouse and I'll drive to Dallas in the Yugo and pick up those guys personally! :toast
throw in the Yugo and you got yourself a deal

baseline bum
05-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Nowitzki deserves every bit of criticism. Lots of great players have bad series. Duncan laid an egg in letting his team get completely destroyed the last two games in 2001. Magic choked the '84 Finals in spectacular fashion. Jordan blew the Orlando series in '95. Bird got swept by Milwaukee in '83. Shaq got destroyed in games 1-3 of a Spurs sweep in '99.

* Duncan came back and put up 29 and 17 against the Lakers the next playoffs (2002), including 34 and 25 in the closeout game. They still got beat 4-1, but he played his heart out and led them past LA in winning a title in 2003.

* Magic lead his team to a championship in Boston Garden the next season.
* Jordan won 72 games and beat a 64-win team in 6 to win a title in '96.
* Bird led his team to a title over a favored Lakers team the next year in '84.
* Shaq carried the Lakers to three in a row after getting destroyed.

Where is Dirk Nowitzki's competitive response? When a player gets to the MVP level, he better show that response or he's going to rightfully catch heat. Dirk has to prove a shitty series is the exception, and not the rule. He's shown it's most likely the other way around, and that the Spurs series in 2006 was most likely the aberration.

ShoogarBear
05-04-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm not going to say that Stern would fix things to avoid embarrassment, but I'll be highly suspicious if the league announces Monday that Baron Davis is the surprise winner of the MVP.

50 cent
05-04-2007, 06:16 PM
They need to trade him to the Spurs for Scola and Oberto.
No thanks. We can only handle one fag (BENO) on our team.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Though Im no Mavs fan, Dirk didnt give up.
Dirk took three shots in the second half. What exactly would you call that??

Tek_XX
05-04-2007, 10:01 PM
The Spurs were completely outmatched in the WCF in 2001. Heart or no heart we lose that series.

TampaDude
05-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Dirk should look on the bright side...he's got more time to go fishing now...

TampaDude
05-04-2007, 10:19 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/jtaylor/stories/050407dnspotaylor.3dda6d5.html

Wow...what a smackdown...harsh...

Brutalis
05-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Seriously so tragic even though it's Dirk and the Mavs.

I mean damn they were getting better than we've ever seen. And poop.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-05-2007, 12:05 AM
2007-2008 Mavericks:

Devin Harris
Jason Terry
Josh Howard
Lamar Odom
Andrew Bynum

That would be an intriguing team.

There's also O'Neal, Garnett and Gasol as possible trades.

If I'm the Mavs, only one player is safe, and that's Howard.

Fillmoe
05-05-2007, 12:08 AM
This team, as it's currently constructed, doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to win a championship.

:lol :lol

mavsfan1000
05-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Golden State averaged over 104 PPG in this series, including almost 109 PPG in the last 3 games, so maybe the "D" has once again left Dallas (er, _allas)?
Dallas has no problems guarding a traditional lineup but Golden State played small. They exposed Dallas's 4's and 5's on defense while Dallas didn't have a post player to go back at them. Avery should've let the Clippers win and tried against the Warriors. :(

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-05-2007, 01:08 AM
I know I posted this on the Dallas Mavs in 9 Forum, but I thought this was relevant to this thread as well :lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=21HbX_uK62w

dbreiden83080
05-05-2007, 01:33 AM
Dirk took three shots in the second half. What exactly would you call that??

Dirk mentally checked out of that game in the 2nd half. Look at Duncan in the 2005 finals. He struggled at times due to both injury and the great defense of the Pistons. Game 7 there was so much pressure on him to perform. While stat wise he needed a lot of shots to get his 25 pts he gave everything he had and then some in that game. Diving for loose balls and demanding the ball in every key situation, thereby getting his teamates key open shots to help the Spurs to victory. Timmy was not at his best but his FIRE and LEADERSHIP was there the whole game. There is a fine line between a great player in a big game just not playing well and a great player not giving his all when his team needs him the most. Dirk quit on his team in the 2nd half of that game and there is no excuse for that.

~Sweetmelody~
05-05-2007, 01:37 AM
I wonder if they ran out of steam by the time they hit the playoffs. Did they peak too soon?

I honestly think they did. Emotionally they got drained.

mavsfan1000
05-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Dirk mentally checked out of that game in the 2nd half. Look at Duncan in the 2005 finals. He struggled at times due to both injury and the great defense of the Pistons. Game 7 there was so much pressure on him to perform. While stat wise he needed a lot of shots to get his 25 pts he gave everything he had and then some in that game. Diving for loose balls and demanding the ball in every key situation, thereby getting his teamates key open shots to help the Spurs to victory. Timmy was not at his best but his FIRE and LEADERSHIP was there the whole game. There is a fine line between a great player in a big game just not playing well and a great player not giving his all when his team needs him the most. Dirk quit on his team in the 2nd half of that game and there is no excuse for that.
Dirk just couldn't keep up with the speed of the game. Running teams give Dirk problems. His jump shot doesn't fall as much because of that. I knew before the playoffs that the Warriors and Suns are the teams that Dallas wants to avoid because of this. Dirk still got 10 rebounds though.

dbreiden83080
05-05-2007, 01:57 AM
Dirk just couldn't keep up with the speed of the game. Running teams give Dirk problems. His jump shot doesn't fall as much because of that. I knew before the playoffs that the Warriors and Suns are the teams that Dallas wants to avoid because of this. Dirk still got 10 rebounds though.

Oh come on he was aggressive in game 5 where the hell was that in game 6? He took the ball to the hoop against the Spurs like crazy in the 06 playoffs. That 3rd Qtr was a disaster for the Mavs and Dirk basically stood there and watched it all crumbling down around him. An all time great player even in defeat goes down fighting and Dirk went down as a fucking spectator.

dav4463
05-05-2007, 04:35 AM

I think they wore themselves out trying to win 70 games by playing starters for too many minutes. Notice that their shots started coming up short late in games. They are tired.