PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili's comments may have prompted memo

Aud21946
05-04-2007, 07:11 PM
NEW YORK (AP) - The NBA reminded teams this week they are not allowed to discourage their players from competing in international competitions, shortly after Manu Ginobili said the Spurs did just that.

A memo dated May 2 was sent to all NBA clubs. According to a person familiar with the document, it read: "This is a reminder that, under the NBA's agreement with FIBA, NBA teams are required to permit their players to play in certain major national-team competitions, provided that adequate insurance is obtained.

"These include the Olympics, world championships, continental championships (such as the European Championships), and relevant qualifying tournaments."

That person requested anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the memo.

Ginobili recently announced that he wouldn't play for Argentina, the defending Olympic champion, in this summer's regional Olympic qualifier in Las Vegas. He wrote on his Web site that San Antonio requested he skip the event, saying that coach Gregg Popovich gave "rather understandable arguments."

"We told him we didn't want him to go," Popovich said Friday after Spurs practice. "Why would we want him to go?"

Popovich, who also coaches Ginobili's Argentine teammate, Fabricio Oberto, is aware of the policy and knows ultimately it's the player's call if he wants to participate.

"We don't have any power (that's) keeping him from going. In the end it's (the player's) decision," Popovich said. "Our advice was not to go. We've got a huge investment in him.

"In Manu's case he's already won everything in the world. I think he's done his part way, way more than most others. We let him know that's how we felt."

Argentina's Walter Herrmann also is sitting out the FIBA Americas tournament, and said last month that was the preference of the Charlotte Bobcats because he was injured in September coming out of the world championships.

"The club blamed the national team and advised me not to join them and to rest for a period," he told the Spanish-language newspaper Mi Gente.

NBA teams are prohibited from banning players' participation, and the league doesn't even want teams discouraging it.

"The NBA/FIBA agreement also provides that NBA teams may not take any steps that are intended to deter players from playing in such competitions," the memo said.

Other than for legitimate injury reasons, such as the expected surgeries this summer for Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul and Lamar Odom, USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo said he has yet to receive a call from an NBA team about a player's availability in his two years running the program.

"Are there conversations that might be going on between some owners, some management and their player, probably yes," Colangelo said. "But it's another thing for someone to pick up a phone and tell me that. That's up to the individual player to make that decision."

Colangelo acknowledged that players would feel more comfortable making the commitment to their national teams if their NBA clubs were behind them. He is awaiting word back on an invitation extended to Memphis forward Mike Miller, who Colangelo said, "just wants to make sure that everyone is supportive."

"If management is supportive, they're going to feel a lot better about it," Colangelo said.

td4mvp21
05-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Ginobili should skip it. He's played there the last several years, he needs a break. It's costing the Spurs when he plays 24/7.

dknights411
05-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Ginobili should skip it. He's played there the last several years, he needs a break. It's costing the Spurs when he plays 24/7.

What's wrong with wanting to represent your country on an international scale? I for one applaud Ginobili!

Go Argentina!!!

sprrs
05-04-2007, 07:47 PM
So was the memo about discouraging the players to compete or was it about forbidding them? Pop made it pretty clear that he's not forbidding Manu to play, but even that seems to not be allowed.

exstatic
05-04-2007, 08:00 PM
What's wrong with wanting to represent your country on an international scale? I for one applaud Ginobili!

Go Argentina!!!
Because he's taken Argentina everywhere they could possbily go, he's 30, and the Spurs probably have $30M invested in him over the next 3 years of his contract. It's time for the younger Argies to step up. Manu has done his bit. I would never be in favor of a team discouraging a younger player from playing, and I think the Spurs have been patient with him for 5 years. Enough is enough.

milkyway21
05-04-2007, 08:44 PM
this memo is long overdue. They shld have sent it after Cuban said he did not want Dirk or his players play for competitions other than the NBA:rolleyes

ducks
05-04-2007, 08:53 PM
it not over due
if I was a owner I would put in the nba contract that the player signs he can not play international ball
they put other thinks in their like surfing

Bruno
05-05-2007, 05:51 AM
On the one hand , the nba has seasons with more than 100 48 minutes long games.
On the other hand, they push for teams to let their players plays during summers.

A high number of nba games creates a lot of money and fiba events with nba players are a good ad for nba but they should too think at players health instead of only thinking at money. :rolleyes

smeagol
05-05-2007, 05:53 AM
People complain when Manu plays for the NT because he is tired. Other people complain when Manu does not play enough because he gets rusty.

Let me remind you all that Manu won the gold medal in Greece the summer before winning the 05 ring, being an AS and being the de facto finals MVP.

How do you explain that?

smeagol
05-05-2007, 05:56 AM
it not over due
if I was a owner I would put in the nba contract that the player signs he can not play international ball
they put other thinks in their like surfing
The desire to represent your country can not be curbed in a contract.

No sport in the world has this.

The NBA will never include such a clause.

K-State Spur
05-05-2007, 08:36 AM
This is a situation where nobody is in the 'wrong', every viewpoint makes sense.

The NBA sees the national teams as a great marketing tool, especially in terms of globalizing the games.

But as an individual team, the Spurs see little benefit in that compared to the risk of injury or the 'wearing down' of one of their star players by the summer competition. The NBA is not going to give them a new wing just to amends.

And Manu himself probably feels that he has accomplished everything that he needs to with that team, but also still feels a bit of obligation to his country.

No real fault with any viewpoint.

I think most of the Americans on this board would be much happier if he sat out. We'd much rather see the Spurs win a championship than a national team take the gold (even our own).

Marcus Bryant
05-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Rest and skip the summer bullshit.

Clutch20
05-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Does anyone know about how much $$$ does each playoff homegame bring in, what's the breakdown? If you reach the Finals then I would imagine that's an higher revenue generated.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm ready for him to skip it and get ready for the next season.

Kinda weak for the league to speak up now when Pop asks Manu to consider not playing, yet nothing was said when Cuban told his guys he didn't want them to play.

SuperManu!!!
05-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Manu plays better during the season when he plays on international competitions

mabber
05-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know about how much $$$ does each playoff homegame bring in, what's the breakdown? If you reach the Finals then I would imagine that's an higher revenue generated.

I think I recall reading that the Mav make at least a million in revenue (not sure if that's gross or net) per home playoff game. In other words, Cuban is missing out on a lot of money with the Mavs losing in the first round. Even though a million isn't a lot of money to him I'm sure it pisses him off as he's a greedy money whore (most self-made billionaires are).

Clutch20
05-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I think I recall reading that the Mav make at least a million in revenue (not sure if that's gross or net) per home playoff game. In other words, Cuban is missing out on a lot of money with the Mavs losing in the first round. Even though a million isn't a lot of money to him I'm sure it pisses him off as he's a greedy money whore (most self-made billionaires are).
Ok. Thanks Mabber.
Lemme see, fuzzy math adjustment, maybe 700k per game, our 2nd round exit last year assuming the best of finishes, 3 home games conf. finals, 3 home games finals (fuzz math now :lol ) times 700k and we're ball-field looking at somewhere around 4.2 mil of lost revenue for '06 efforts.
Hmmmm........... :wow

mookie2001
05-05-2007, 12:23 PM
People complain when Manu plays for the NT because he is tired. Other people complain when Manu does not play enough because he gets rusty.

Let me remind you all that Manu won the gold medal in Greece the summer before winning the 05 ring, being an AS and being the de facto finals MVP.

How do you explain that?are you kidding me? people were complaining manu was rusty and needed to play for argentina, thats hard to believe

manu right now is one of the worst players in the rotation, he is totally ruining whatever legacy he might have had, the last thing he needs to do is to let down his country too

let me remind you all that manu is responsible for us not being on our 3rd straight championship run

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2007, 12:28 PM
let me remind you all that manu is responsible for us not being on our 3rd straight championship run

That's pretty short-sighted. Yeah, that was a bonehead foul at the end, but if we play better up to that point it doesn't matter.

TMTTRIO
05-05-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah and we wouldn't have had the '05 Championship without him. I think it's alright if he gets very limited minutes. I think it's good for him. Look what happened when he got all of that extended amount of rest during the summer.

Slo spurs fan
05-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Because he's taken Argentina everywhere they could possbily go, he's 30, and the Spurs probably have $30M invested in him over the next 3 years of his contract. Enough is enough.
And he returned that by his playing for Spurs and giving his all for his employers.
Let him play if he want to.

WalterBenitez
05-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Manu strated to think rather than feel, so bad :depressed

POP sucks, Manu should play in Las Vegas :bang

mookie2001
05-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Manu blew it, even with the refs AND smallball manu fucked us over

mookie2001
05-05-2007, 01:55 PM
if it wasnt for finley, manu would be getting scoffed like no other for his shitty play this series

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2007, 02:21 PM
if it wasnt for finley, manu would be getting scoffed like no other for his shitty play this seriesHe's only had 1 actually shitty game, how does that make it a shitty series!?? you're talking out of your ass

mookie2001
05-05-2007, 02:34 PM
manu has been chunking up bricks, missing layups and turning the ball over in incredibly amazing ways. How many games did you watch?

he scored points in a few games but he has had a horrible series, this is the same guy who everyone always says is clutch/ primetime player, finley had to go apestuff to save our asses, if spurs had come close to losing this series, Ginobili would be getting RUINED on this board

and it is a fact, with small ball, with the refs, ginobili lost us the mavs series, I dont think anyone here thinks the heat would have beat us

BigBeezie
05-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Manu is a grown man and will choose what he wants to do. Lucky for us he doesn't want to burn bridges with Coach Pop or the Spurs organization. I think he should take the summer off, and play in the Olympics...not some qualifying event.

SAGambler
05-05-2007, 03:38 PM

Let me remind you that it was Manu that put us in a position to even have a shot at winning.....

Manu giveth and Manu taketh away......

And that foul was because Manu thought he could block it......Which would have given us the win.

SAGambler
05-05-2007, 03:43 PM
manu has been chunking up bricks, missing layups and turning the ball over in incredibly amazing ways. How many games did you watch?

he scored points in a few games but he has had a horrible series, this is the same guy who everyone always says is clutch/ primetime player, finley had to go apestuff to save our asses, if spurs had come close to losing this series, Ginobili would be getting RUINED on this board

and it is a fact, with small ball, with the refs, ginobili lost us the mavs series, I dont think anyone here thinks the heat would have beat us

LOL.....They why don't you take him on ... one on one ..... for some bucks big boy......After all, he is apparently done (according to you). Should be easy money.

Cherry
05-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Manu strated to think rather than feel, so bad :depressed

POP sucks, Manu should play in Las Vegas :bang

Well done Pop, you did it. NT means a lot for Manu,he want to go, his best friends are there and he´s not going because the Gasol ghost is in your mind and the rest of the NBA...

well done Pop :pctoss

mullet
05-05-2007, 04:09 PM
manu didnt lose us the mavs series. hes the reason we almost won.

however, he did play like shit this nuggets series with the exception of a step back 3, he was impotent

Amuseddaysleeper
05-05-2007, 04:12 PM

if it wasn't for manu, we wouldn't have been even close to a ring in 2005 let alone won it, and he single handedly sparked the huge run in the 4th quarter of game 6 against the nets in 2003, with his steal and breakaway dunk off of richard jefferson

Cherry
05-05-2007, 04:12 PM
manu didnt lose us the mavs series. hes the reason we almost won.

however, he did play like shit this nuggets series with the exception of a step back 3, he was impotent

Solution? start Manu :spin

mookie2001
05-05-2007, 04:26 PM
LOL.....They why don't you take him on ... one on one ..... for some bucks big boy......After all, he is apparently done (according to you). Should be easy money.I dont get it, i didnt say i could beat him in basketball or that he was done

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I dont get it, i didnt say i could beat him in basketball or that he was doneyeah, I've never ceases to amaze me how one can't criticize a player without it meaning that you think you can take them :lol

Still, I think you've got it all wrong about Manu. Dude hasn't been as bad as you've made it seem. Granted he shouldn't have disappeared like that in such an important game, but other than that he's been good this series. Perhaps you mean he hasn't been up to par with what you expect of him? which would be a reasonable assertion if you take into account the way he's played in previous post-seasons.

smeagol
05-05-2007, 06:43 PM
are you kidding me? people were complaining manu was rusty and needed to play for argentina, thats hard to believe

manu right now is one of the worst players in the rotation, he is totally ruining whatever legacy he might have had, the last thing he needs to do is to let down his country too

Dude, answer the question I asked.

How come Manu played his best basketball ever after playing a whole summer with the NT team in Greece?

The issue at hand is the NBA owners allowing the international players play for their country, not if Manu is playing well the current playoff run, or if Manu is responsible for last years loss against Dallas (which he is not).

Moron

Marcus Bryant
05-05-2007, 07:18 PM
When the Spurs make the news, someone writes a memo.

Kibic
05-06-2007, 02:43 AM
This is all just ridicilus. Aren't USA NBA players playing this summer qulification? Aren't they gona play next olympics?

So.. others can't, we can.

After all it is all marketing. There is no way any team (Spurs too) would make so much money for their owners without global market.

The league and the owners are the only factor in this story. And they say....
"put your 30 mill. $ investment in risk and you will earn 10x the money...on the global market" or you could market your team just in San Antonio city. And not in Europe, not in China, not in Latin America...
Not so bad, huh.

dav4463
05-06-2007, 04:49 AM
this memo is long overdue. They shld have sent it after Cuban said he did not want Dirk or his players play for competitions other than the NBA:rolleyes

It looks like Dirk needs the practice.

mookie2001
05-06-2007, 03:06 PM
is manu playing today?

mookie2001
05-06-2007, 03:07 PM
better pray Finley saves his ass again

mookie2001
05-08-2007, 11:56 PM
He's only had 1 actually shitty game, how does that make it a shitty series!?? you're talking out of your assginobili sucks