PDA

View Full Version : Advice request

johnsmith
05-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Who here has quit a well paying job due to hating work with a passion?

Did you take a pay cut to do so?

Did you regret doing so?

BacktoBasics
05-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Don't forget to embezzle first.

Seriously I really recommend just lining up another job first.

midgetonadonkey
05-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Just quit. Who needs money when you can have happiness.

johnsmith
05-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Just quit. Who needs money when you can have happiness.

I've thought of that a lot actually. However, I've become sort of fond of buying stuff, and that makes me fairly happy too.

midgetonadonkey
05-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Then don't quit.

johnsmith
05-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Then don't quit.

That leaves me in quite a conundrum.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Start looking, but I would try not to leave until you have something lined up...you've put up with it this long already, just gut it out.

DeBunkChump
05-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I've thought of that a lot actually. However, I've become sort of fond of buying stuff, and that makes me fairly happy too.

Maybe you could do a better job if you spend less time stalking mouse.

johnsmith
05-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Maybe you could do a better job if you spend less time stalking mouse.

That was actually sort of funny.

Good job Mouse.

midgetonadonkey
05-05-2007, 01:05 PM
I think you should get yourself fired. Have some fun with it.

NorCal510
05-05-2007, 01:39 PM
johnsmith you should watch the pursuit of happiness

quit your job and work at subway or something. a job for a good cause too...

clambake
05-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Is it the job? (boring) Is it the people? Are you being required to do things unethical?

johnsmith
05-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Is it the job? (boring) Is it the people? Are you being required to do things unethical?

Much of the problem seems to stem from my boss, however, I'll be the first to say, everyone has a shitty boss from time to time.

Having said that, the place I'm at will only last for another year and then they want to move me to North Carolina. And while I've bitched and complained about South Texas for a while now, somewhere along the line it grew on me.

So my reward for dealing with this dickhead for another year is to move to North Carolina.

CuckingFunt
05-05-2007, 02:07 PM
I agree with the general consensus to get something else lined up and move on.

angel_luv
05-05-2007, 02:08 PM
As someone who quit one job before having another- don't do that!!!!!!!!!

I would encourage you to send resumes out. It never hurts to check out your options. Best of luck to you! :)

BacktoBasics
05-05-2007, 02:33 PM
What exactly do you do?

TheSanityAnnex
05-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I just walked out of my job no less than a week ago. It felt fucking wonderful and was everything I ever imagined. Simply walked up to my boss an hour into my shift and said, "this is degrading, I'm out of here." He said, "but its Friday night" "I know, I'm going to the bar" :lol His face was priceless.

Just got hired at a Country Club yesterday, so fuck the whole "you need a job lined up before you quit" (unless you haven't been saving any money and are broke and can't afford a few weeks without pay)

Melmart1
05-05-2007, 03:21 PM
I left a job after eight years becuase it got to the point where if I had a day off, half of it was spent dreading going back to work the next day. I couldnt even relax on my days off, that is pretty sad. So I quit and moved half ways across the country and it took me a month to find a job. Risky, yes. But well worth it, cus it preserved my sanity.

Now I freelance full time so if there is a client who turns out to be a shithead, I can always decline further work with them. With this of course comes a somewhat unsteady paycheck and the occasional need to be frugal. But again, well worth my sanity and I actual love what I do now. But not having a guaranteed 40 hours of pay every week, it's not for everyone. Especially if you like your toys.

RealEstateDude
05-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Find another job somewhere else, relocate if you have to..

Das Texan
05-05-2007, 04:36 PM
johnsmith you should watch the pursuit of happiness

quit your job and work at subway or something. a job for a good cause too...

ya but if he gets a lower paying job the whole point of the movie is missed.

he wanted to achieve happyness yes. But it was financial happyness that he strives for first and foremost.

giving that up for less money doesnt fit there.