PDA

View Full Version : Spurs happy to see Suns

ducks
05-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Spurs happy to see Suns

Mention the Phoenix Suns to Tony Parker and a smile quickly begins to stretch across his face. He speaks almost reverentially about Steve Nash. His best friend and Les Bleus teammate, Boris Diaw, also plays for Phoenix.

Nearly every game between the Suns and Spurs the past three seasons has been broadcast nationally, and Phoenix is a quick one-hour flight from Los Angeles should one's A-list fiancée decide to jet in for a visit. Then there's the Suns' feverish offense, which gives Parker the chance to rev up his own engine.

"It's an up-tempo game, so it fits me pretty well," Parker said. "I always like to play against Phoenix."

With good reason. Parker has averaged 21.7 points in 15 games against Phoenix in the three seasons since Nash began to lead the Suns' ascent up the Western Conference. Manu Ginobili also has enjoyed similar success against the Suns during that time, averaging 20.6 points.
After a rugged, physical series against the Denver Nuggets in which neither Parker nor Ginobili really ever found their rhythm offensively, the two guards wouldn't mind the opportunity to stretch their legs a little more when the Spurs visit Phoenix on Sunday for the opening game of the teams' Western Conference semifinal.

"It is more exciting because you get more possessions, you get to run even more," Ginobili said. "But at the same time it's tiring, too. We are not as used to that pace, so we have to be very aware every time we shoot a three to just sprint back in transition."

The Spurs did a good job of slowing Denver, but their own transition opportunities also were limited in the first-round series. The Nuggets packed their defense into the lane, cutting off most of the avenues Parker and Ginobili had to penetrate.

The two guards were able to get to the rim more frequently as the series progressed, but both were more effective as creators than scorers.

Parker averaged 18.2 points and 6.8 assists, but shot 44.2 percent in the first round. Helping Bruce Bowen chase Allen Iverson, he said, robbed him of some of his usual burst.

"When you play that kind of defense you're going to be tired on offense," Parker said. "Especially the way I play offense, I need a lot of energy to penetrate and for the way I use my legs for my jump shot."

Ginobili played well in the Spurs' first three victories, but struggled throughout the series with his perimeter shot, missing 17 of 23 3-point attempts. When he did penetrate, the Nuggets did their best to force him right and usually had Nenê or Marcus Camby waiting for him.

Two quick fouls in Game 5 also made for a frustrating evening for Ginobili, who averaged 13.4 points and 5.0 rebounds in the series while shooting 33.9 percent.

"It wasn't an easy series for me," Ginobili said. "I think it's a matter of playing a couple good minutes, making a couple of shots or plays and everything is going to come back. It's not like it's been a couple weeks or months. I'm not worried."

Ginobili averaged 22.2 points against the Suns during the 2005 Western Conference finals. He also scored a career-high 48 points in an earlier victory over Phoenix that same season.

The Suns, however, have since added Raja Bell, one of the league's top perimeter defenders. Ginobili has averaged 16.7 points against Phoenix in the two seasons since Bell's arrival. He had 33 points in the Feb. 1 loss in Phoenix, but Bell — who was named to the NBA's All-Defensive first team this season — didn't play in the second half because of a knee injury.

Parker averaged 28.0 points in the teams' three meetings this season. When Suns coach Mike D'Antoni was asked Friday what Phoenix needed to do to slow the Spurs, he said, "You need to slow down Tony Parker."
The Suns have improved their defense this season — the Spurs shot only 40.8 percent against them — and forward Shawn Marion could spend some time guarding Parker, who hopes he can better utilize his speed in this series.

"We have to be smart when we run," Parker said. "We can't forget we have Timmy (Duncan) because Timmy can do some damage inside.

"I think you can run with them a little bit. I think we just have to choose the opportunity to do it smart and slow it down a little bit, too."

Regardless of the tempo, the Spurs wouldn't mind getting more production from Ginobili and Parker this series.

"It's another opportunity for them," Michael Finley said. "If we had lost (to Denver), they would have gone into the summer with a lot of what-ifs. Now they have a chance to bounce back and be the All-Stars they are."

[email protected]