PDA

View Full Version : No point in playing elson

SuperManu!!!
05-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Since Elson was brought to defend dirk and he isn't on the playoffs anymore, should he be benched?

Marcus Bryant
05-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Elson is made for a series like this.

slayermin
05-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Elson is made for a series like this.

Yep. I think he will do well this series too.

Spursfan101
05-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Elson will create offensive boards and frustrate amare.

wildbill2u
05-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Since Elson was brought to defend dirk and he isn't on the playoffs anymore, should he be benched?
Do you really want to play Duncan on a much more mobile Amare? Elson has something to give--6 fouls a game.

alamo50
05-05-2007, 08:30 PM

Nice try.

:nope

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Oberto is made for this series too. :lol

He should go 12 for 12 :spin

exstatic
05-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Do you really want to play Duncan on a much more mobile Amare? Elson has something to give--6 fouls a game.
Elson gets up and down the floor, a major plus in a series with the Suns. That being said, I think Amare on Tim is a much worse matchup for PHO than Tim on Amare is for us. We're willing to absorb the damage from the big A, but a healthy Tim this time around is more than a handful for Amare, and helps us kill the clock in the half court. He'll score and he'll feed the shooters, and PHO will not be able to take one away without opening the other up wide. Big T average 21 and 5 assists with a PHYSICAL Nene hammering him. Amare isn't nearly as adept at bodying up and denying position.

jmard5
05-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Long term planning.

Spurs changed their lineup to match up better with either Mavs or Suns. They went for Elson, Butler and Oberto for Nazr and Rasho. It is a faster and more agile lineup.

Let us see first what this series bring to the Spurs.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Oberto guarding Amare will end badly.... well at least worse than Elson guarding Amare

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Oberto guarding Amare will end badly.... well at least worse than Elson guarding Amare
I thought Duncan is assigned to Amare most of the time.

Won't Oberto/Elson get Kurt Thomas and Diaw?

jmard5
05-05-2007, 09:29 PM

Not really concerned about that.

Let Amare do the Suns' scoring. Just put the defense on Nash and the other Suns' 3pt shooters.

GrandeDavid
05-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Elson brought in to defend Dirk? Elson was brought in to be a key component on this team against any given opponent. Being that he's athletic and fast, why the hell would you even think of benching him against Phoenix?

timvp
05-05-2007, 09:52 PM
If Elson shows up this series, he could be huge. The Spurs need to outrebound the Suns to beat them and Elson can help do that.

If Elson can show to be agile enough to put on a James Jones or a Boris Diaw, that'd be big.

dknights411
05-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Elson will play in game 1. Weather he's effective or not will dictate his playing time for the rest of the series. But if he shows up, watch out!

Marcus Bryant
05-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Length, athleticism, and an outside shot (sometimes). Elson could make this a short series.

Chris
05-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Elson is the second fastest on the team behind Tony Parker! He could have a great series with the Suns' "El Matadore" defense. Hell, Nazr went off on em in 05!

Kori Ellis
05-05-2007, 10:14 PM
This is a series where Elson could prove his worth.

Or he could just get in quick foul trouble :(

Clutch20
05-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Elson accepts the challenge and understands his role. 7 months of figuring it out and 1 month off to think about it, one playoff series to see where he fits, he'll showcase his speed.

Marcus Bryant
05-05-2007, 10:46 PM
10, 6, and a block or two a night. Spurs go up 3-0 when I am in attendance. *fingers crossed*

whottt
05-05-2007, 10:55 PM
I acutally like Finley against the Suns...in fact, I like him on Amare. He did as good a job on Amare as anyone in the 05 playoffs.

L.I.T
05-05-2007, 11:02 PM
If I remember, when we signed him people were talking about how he's a run and gun center. If the Suns try and move to a bigger line-up at times, he should come in handy.

Chris
05-05-2007, 11:05 PM
I acutally like Finley against the Suns...in fact, I like him on Amare. He did as good a job on Amare as anyone in the 05 playoffs.

So you're saying move Tim to center,put Finley on power forward and just switch defensively?

Chris
05-05-2007, 11:07 PM
If I remember, when we signed him people were talking about how he's a run and gun center. If the Suns try and move to a bigger line-up at times, he should come in handy.

He has a silky smooth jump shot which he doesn't get to use often. I believe the Spurs have a designed pick n roll they use(d) for Drob and Rasho for that jumpshot from the wing.

ChumpDumper
05-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Run, Cisco, run.

Not that you could do much of anything else.

T Park
05-05-2007, 11:24 PM
except play good defense as evidenced in game 5 against Denver.

But thats neither here nor there....

siopaoboi
05-05-2007, 11:26 PM
cisco can help you guys in this series.
-he can run if you guys decide to run with the suns
- he can hit outside shots decently with the no D suns
- he will look big (height-wise) if amare is the only big man who will play big minutes for the suns
i think overall, elson would be better than oberto in this matchup since he's much faster.

ChumpDumper
05-05-2007, 11:28 PM
except play good defense as evidenced in game 5 against Denver.

But thats neither here nor there....It really isn't since it can't be counted upon. Many players improve markedly in their second season in the Spurs' system. I hope it's true for Elson as well.

T Park
05-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Elson can guard a Diaw BTW, as evidenced in the game earlier in the year vs Washington when his defense on a then small forward was lauded.

Diaw is a soft long thin power forward, like himself, so he should match up fine.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-05-2007, 11:32 PM
I've rarely seen Elson go with his outside shot, for me to be convinced he'll use it if needed. He shoots it like at least twice every other game. :lol

I think Elson at best will be solid for us. I think a good sign for Elson was when he outran Marion on a fastbreak to play defense. It was very cool to see him outrun that pouting douche. I hope Bowen makes him a repeat no-show this week as well.

I think he'll get minutes defending Marion, now that Bowen might be switched on Nash in this series.

mavsfan1000
05-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Elson would get owned if he guards Amare. I think he would be best suited to guard James Jones or Sean Marion.

T Park
05-05-2007, 11:42 PM
guarded Amare ok in the last regular season game....

siopaoboi
05-05-2007, 11:45 PM
frankie can guard. but he is not good to guard for a long period of time, thats cause he's foul prone too. this is where the spurs depth come to play. frankie can be effective on the time he's been on the floor, and i dont think the spurs will play frankie 30+mins long.