PDA

View Full Version : McGrady broke down

Kobulingam
05-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Started crying and left in middle of his interview....

EDIT:

And you can hear some reporters laughing in background after he left and one of them singing a song about Tmac crying.

himat
05-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Damn.

resistanze
05-05-2007, 11:43 PM
SHIT! I missed this??

Probably tears of embarrassment moreso than disappointment.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz

EDIT:

And you can hear some reporters laughing in background after he left and one of them singing a song about Tmac crying.
are you joking about the reporters? wasn't this in Houston?

himat
EDIT:

**** those reporters.

Kobulingam
05-05-2007, 11:44 PM
are you joking about the reporters? wasn't this in Houston?

Not joking. When NBA.com broadcasts the post game pressers live you can hear everything. You can even hear the reporters talking about their stupid lives in between interviews (when the podium is empty waiting for next person to arrive).

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
SHIT! I missed this??

I don't know if Tmac should be embarrassed, it's not like he's Dirk.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
Not joking. When NBA.com broadcasts the post game pressers live you can hear everything. You can even hear the reporters talking about their stupid lives in between interviews (when the podium is empty waiting for next person to arrive).
hmm... Heh, I'll go check it out when they put it up.

himat
05-05-2007, 11:45 PM
SHIT! I missed this??

You are kidding right?

resistanze
05-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah i hate when reporters act like they have some moral authority over "arrogant athletes", when in fact, a big chunk of them are asswipes themselves.

Kobulingam
05-05-2007, 11:46 PM
I don't know if Tmac should be embarrassed, it's not like he's Dirk.

Yeah before breaking down he answered the previous question with a lot of "I tried man, I really tried." Said that so many times, then for the next question he took a deep breath, started crying and said he couldn't do the presser anymore.

resistanze
You are kidding right?
Yes I was just teasing, it's actually pretty sad.

himat
Yeah i when reporters act like they have some moral authority over "arrogant athletes", when in fact, a big chunk of them are asswipes themselves.

:toast

Suns>Spurs
05-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Dirk is a choker and t mac isn't?

SAtown
05-05-2007, 11:56 PM

McGrady scored 29 points and 13 assists in game 7.

himat

T Mac didn't choke. He played a good game. Dirk never showed up.

mavsfan1000
T-Mac actually had a solid game. Just not a dominating game. The rest of the team pretty much sucked on offense. Yao was a defensive liability so he got neutralized. It is getting old but T-Mac needs a better supporting cast.

ducks
tmac played better today then dirk did all postseason

Amuseddaysleeper
05-05-2007, 11:57 PM
You are kidding right?

he's lost THREE series when his team has led by at least 2 games

When I saw the post game conference, I felt really bad for him, but still, I don't think he's really a "franchise" guy just yet.

I also don't buy into houston being a "bad team"

there is no excuse for these guys to not get past the first round.

Yes, T Mac is injured a lot, but I can't really call him a top 5 player by any means.

If you put t mac on the lakers, they wouldn't make the playoffs

confined
05-05-2007, 11:58 PM
i feel for tmac he obviously cared a whole lot about his team and making it out of the frist round and anyone who bashes him is a flat out dick...same with dirk...they tried and so what if they didnt make it...its not like this means they never will...

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-05-2007, 11:59 PM
God I feel bad for him. If they don't make some changes in the offseason I would demand a trade if I were him. He's a great player and he barely has any bad marks in his career behavior-wise. He doesn't care about after the 2nd round anymore, he just wants to get there.

himat
05-06-2007, 12:01 AM
he's lost THREE series when his team has led by at least 2 games

When I saw the post game conference, I felt really bad for him, but still, I don't think he's really a "franchise" guy just yet.

I also don't buy into houston being a "bad team"

there is no excuse for these guys to not get past the first round.

Yes, T Mac is injured a lot, but I can't really call him a top 5 player by any means.

If you put t mac on the lakers, they wouldn't make the playoffs

Alston just chucks up shots, Howard and Mutombo are way out of their prime. Luther Head isn't amazing. The Rockets are not really a complete team. It's T Mac, Yao, and Battier. In the West that will make you lose because the teams who win are completely good.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2007, 12:02 AM
oh don't get me wrong, he seems like a great guy, never arrogant, but i don't think you can only blame his supporting cast in this scenario.

He needed to challenge his teammates.

Which goes back to saying he isn't exactly a leader though a great talent.

No excuse why a player of his talent should still be stuck in rd 1

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Alston just chucks up shots, Howard and Mutombo are way out of their prime. Luther Head isn't amazing. The Rockets are not really a complete team. It's T Mac, Yao, and Battier. In the West that will make you lose because the teams who win are completely good.

oh i don't think they're championship calliber, but for a team that consistently gets 50 wins in the power house west, they have to be able to get out of rd 1.

I think van gundy should take some of the blame too

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 12:05 AM
i feel for tmac he obviously cared a whole lot about his team and making it out of the frist round and anyone who bashes him is a flat out dick...same with dirk...they tried and so what if they didnt make it...its not like this means they never will...
:lol I wouldn't lump in Dirk with Tmac.

Dirk's elimination game performance is pretty hard to defend. Dirk didn't try, or at the very least didn't go down swinging, like Yao and Tmac did.

Roxsfan
05-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Yeah before breaking down he answered the previous question with a lot of "I tried man, I really tried." Said that so many times, then for the next question he took a deep breath, started crying and said he couldn't do the presser anymore.

He didn't actually start crying per se, he was starting to get a broken-voice and was emotional to the pt where his speech would be broken-up.

Had he stayed, perhaps, but that's why he left.

Roxsfan
05-06-2007, 12:10 AM

You are a good man. :toast

Behrooz24
http://nba-boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/press_conf/mcgrady_pc_070505.asx

edit: it ends before any said laughing
:cry hang in there tmac

Kevin Blackistone
oh i don't think they're championship calliber, but for a team that consistently gets 50 wins in the power house west, they have to be able to get out of rd 1.

I think van gundy should take some of the blame too

The Jazz and Rockets were neck and neck, one game separated them at the end of the season. Evenly matched, and it went down to the wire in game 7. No shame in it from Houston's side, it was a tough series.

For all the T-Mac, Dirk talk - you put T-Mac on Dallas' team in place of Dirk and you have one hell of a power. Big difference in stepping up in the playoffs.

himat
05-06-2007, 12:12 AM
the nba.com video cut off after T Mac left. They did not show the reporters laughing. Hope he wins next season. I thought he would do it this year for sure.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2007, 12:13 AM
that's lame as fuck if the reporters started laughing

jesus christ

Kobulingam
05-06-2007, 12:13 AM
He didn't actually start crying per se, he was starting to get a broken-voice and was emotional to the pt where his speech would be broken-up.

Had he stayed, perhaps, but that's why he left.

Liquid in red eyes = not crying?

Kobulingam
05-06-2007, 12:15 AM
that's lame as fuck if the reporters started laughing

jesus christ

They did. I wonder if they reporters know that NBA.com broadcasts EVERYTHING (from testing the microphones before the whole presser to the removal of the microphones after) when the feed is live.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 12:17 AM
well he couldn't contain his emotion.

Geezus, I felt bad for Dirk, and now Tmac...

yet I still grinned a little at Kobe's, "Do something...

...NOW!" presser.

himat
05-06-2007, 12:17 AM
They did. I wonder if they reporters know that NBA.com broadcasts EVERYTHING (from testing the microphones before the whole presser to the removal of the microphones after) when the feed is live.

They did not do it this time. Check for yourself. The video cuts off right after T Mac leaves.

Maybe you are right though because I watched the "T Mac Press Conference" and not the whole entire press conference. They probably show everything in the complete press conference videos.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Unprofessional.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 12:19 AM
They did not do it this time. Check for yourself. The video cuts off right after T Mac leaves.

Maybe you are right though because I watched the "T Mac Press Conference" and not the whole entire press conference. They probably show everything in the complete press conference videos.
If you watch the Utah-Houston, and all the post-conferences in entirety, they include all the gaps in between, like even waiting 10 minutes for the next player/coach. So you hear a lot of coughs in the feed and stuff.

resistanze
05-06-2007, 12:21 AM
That's why I loved athletes such as Albert Belle, he was never hesitant to tell a reporter to screw off before a game :lol.

Of course, because of that, they tainted his name more than it needed to be, and blocked him of any chance in the HOF.

Roxsfan
05-06-2007, 12:21 AM

watery eyes(which you could not really see) it was only that he touched is eyes gave it away if you want to call that crying...I call that getting emotional. Anyway, tears running down ones face and chest heaving and voice breaking up is crying to me...like I said he left before that.

himat
05-06-2007, 12:22 AM
If you watch the Utah-Houston, and all the post-conferences in entirety, they include all the gaps in between, like even waiting 10 minutes for the next player/coach. So you hear a lot of coughs in the feed and stuff.

I thought so. I am about to crash and go to sleep though. Thanks, I want to hear what they said.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 12:23 AM
watery eyes(which you could not really see) it was only that he touched is eyes gave it away if you want to call that crying...I call that getting emotional. Anyway, tears running down ones face and chest heaving and voice breaking up is crying to me...like I said he left before that.
Nothing wrong with getting emotional. I just saw his tears welling up in the video.

(Though, I wish we got footage of Mark Cuban blubbering, I think he was just emotional as well, come to think of it.)

Kobulingam
05-06-2007, 12:23 AM

Men don't cry like that, chicks do.

Lp26
05-06-2007, 12:25 AM
It was a hard-fought series that went down to down to the wire in Game 7, I don't blame him for being emotional esp when you consider his past.

The Rockets have absolutely no depth, none. Outside of Yao/Battier who else on their team is actually any good? Yao wasn't all that great in this series. He was never really dominant after that injury. And he was completely outplayed by Boozer. T-Mac for the most played really well. It's not his fault.

Utah was always the better team. If it weren't for inexpierence, Okur going retarded for a few games/Kirelinko having a nervous breakdown, this series probably would've ended alot sooner.

baseline bum
05-06-2007, 12:26 AM
I didn't see the game, but what more can he do than 29 and 13 assists? Carroll Dawson should be the having to answer all the difficult questions. That team's real short on talent.

Roxsfan
05-06-2007, 12:29 AM

I guess you have never seen a man cry over his dead child right? You are mostly right, but it depends on what the reason is.

If I bought a winning 15mill. dollar lottery ticket and then lost b4 I claimed it, I would cry like that.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2007, 12:29 AM
on nba tv they always show the full press game conferences in their entirety

leemajors
05-06-2007, 12:30 AM

strong men... also cry. strong men... also cry.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 12:30 AM
yeah, I don't think it's wrong for men to cry over the right reasons...I just think girls, in my experience cry, more frequently, like over prissy things .

ponky
05-06-2007, 12:33 AM
i have this game on tivo because i was busy playing gears and watching the fight. i feel so bad for t-mac and i see something about someone crying but i'm too tired to read all the threads. did he cry or something? not that i would think bad about him or anything. this sucks for him, i really like him and wish him the best. other than yao and tmac, that teams sucks the big one, get him some help, he doesn't deserve this crap year after year.

Ginofan
05-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Man that was heartbreaking. I feel so bad for the guy. He has so much talent, but he needs help (Yao is a joke). I really would've loved to play Houston in the WCF, nice lil' Texas Showdown.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 12:36 AM
i have this game on tivo because i was busy playing gears and watching the fight. i feel so bad for t-mac and i see something about someone crying but i'm too tired to read all the threads. did he cry or something? not that i would think bad about him or anything. this sucks for him, i really like him and wish him the best. other than yao and tmac, that teams sucks the big one, get him some help, he doesn't deserve this crap year after year.

yeah I just watched the NBA.com recap. Right after he mentioned how he put the blame on himself, for the team, He's unable to answer the next question right after he wipes some tears away, and says, "i can't do it man" under his breath and walks off. They cut off the part where supposedly reporters started laughing about it.

ponky
05-06-2007, 12:41 AM
yeah I just watched the NBA.com recap. Right after he mentioned how he put the blame on himself, for the team, He's unable to answer the next question right after he wipes some tears away, and says, "i can't do it man" under his breath and walks off. They cut off the part where supposedly reporters started laughing about it.

oh fuck, i feel bad for him. wtf, the reporters started laughing? classy, assholes. is this on tnt's insinde the nba? i have that on tivo but if this is what happened it might make ME get teary eyed if i watch it, maybe i should stick to watching DOOM on HBO, i don't need any more downers after the mavs and DLH fight...i can't wait until tomorrow's game, though, i just hope it's competitive, close and that the spurs get a win (yes, the spurs :cry :lol)

thanks for the update.

ehz33satx
05-06-2007, 12:42 AM

McGrady might. Dirk never ever will. So I am a dick.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 12:51 AM
oh fuck, i feel bad for him. wtf, the reporters started laughing? classy, assholes. is this on tnt's insinde the nba? i have that on tivo but if this is what happened it might make ME get teary eyed if i watch it, maybe i should stick to watching DOOM on HBO, i don't need any more downers after the mavs and DLH fight...i can't wait until tomorrow's game, though, i just hope it's competitive, close and that the spurs get a win (yes, the spurs :cry :lol)

thanks for the update.

No prob.
They put it on nba.com under the pressers. They didn't put up the footage of the reporters laughing, yet. But one of the rockets fans on here who watched the live feed said he saw and heard them all joking after he left.

I'd try to pace your Sports let-down intake... so yeah, I wouldn't watch it, if I were you. :lol because you could tell, Tmac was trying hard to hold back his emotions at the end but couldn't and just had to leave.

And yeah, Spurs winning tomorrow should be fun for you :lol

Regardless, it'll be a good basketball game for NBA fans. Can't wait.

ponky
05-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Man that was heartbreaking. I feel so bad for the guy. He has so much talent, but he needs help (Yao is a joke). I really would've loved to play Houston in the WCF, nice lil' Texas Showdown.

looks like yao had a decent game, especially considering he hasn't had all season to get back into the flow of things. i don't think yao's the problem here.

aaronstampler
05-06-2007, 12:58 AM
I blame Van Gundy. He had six games to figure out that Yao can't guard Boozer one on one. I don't understand why he never doubled him and made Kirilenko or Williams or Giricek hit some open 20 footers. Hell, how do you even know Boozer would have always made the right pass out of the double? They never tested him.

jmard5
05-06-2007, 01:02 AM

Funny when you bring up your own version of the word "choker". Are we watching the same brand of basketball?

Funny also about your sig. Since when did that happen? :lol We own you, boy. We own you big time.

dav4463
05-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Give the Jazz some credit. They are one tough team and they deserved the hard fought win on the road. Rockets just came up short....you can't win them all.

ponky
05-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Give the Jazz some credit. They are one tough team and they deserved the hard fought win on the road. Rockets just came up short....you can't win them all.

Rockets still haven't put the right pieces together, this loss is not on T-Mac and Yao. Look at the box score of game seven against the Mavs two years ago. T-Mac and Yao had games much like tonight's game....and although, they had a different set of role players, still the same result, no fucking help at all. Of course, this year's result was much closer but it didn't have to be had they had the proper help.

hitmanyr2k
05-06-2007, 01:12 AM
I was rooting for T-Mac to finally get out of the first round but his body language and lackadaisical approach to the game tonight frustrated me big time. For a guy that has never been out of the first round and in a Game 7 he sure did seem to have a nonchalant attitude on the court and he didn't leave me with the impression that he "left it all out on the floor" when the game was over. His defensive intensity was non-existent. This guy has the tools to be a great defensive player and he never seems to impact the game on that side of the ball. I only saw him put effort into defense in ONE playoff series and that was against the Mavs in '05. Also he relied on the jumpshot too much once again. I understand he gets doubled from time to time but man if you have fuckin Derek Fisher one on one you take his ass to the rim everytime...back him down or something dammit. Don't bail him out by taking a fuckin 20 foot fadeaway jumper. I felt bad for him during the press conference but part of me was thinking how long is it going to take your stupid ass to wise up and start playing a smarter game that includes being a defensive presence?

SRJ
05-06-2007, 01:24 AM
I understand he gets doubled from time to time but man if you have fuckin Derek Fisher one on one you take his ass to the rim everytime...back him down or something dammit.

I would like to see a FG% breakdown of the two situation, but in my viewing experience it appears that McGrady is a LOT less effective playing with his back to the basket. He needs to face the basket to be successful.

bdubya
05-06-2007, 01:27 AM
I'm not gonna feel too bad for a cat who gets paid tens of millions per year for a playground game. Four years back he was talking about how good it felt to get out of the first round when he still had a win to go; I didn't think he earned this much bad karma, but hey....

Ronaldo McDonald
05-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Despite what t-mac said during that one iterview about "it being his fault if they lose", i still thought the jazz going into the series was the better team that would advance.

Seriously, houston is not that good, they've got two really good players but no supporting cast, in addition to having the most overrated coach in basketball (who plays a style that doesn't fit his team)

ya they could have won but they weren't the mavs, and mac didn't dirk it.

kingsfan
05-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Damn, I feel bad for him. He did try and at least he cares. Some people just collect their check and act like they don't give a damn.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-06-2007, 08:20 AM
he was smiling though. as if someone had just told him a joke in the locker room.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-06-2007, 08:21 AM
maybe he saw yao's small chinese cock for the first time while he was showering

SpurForLife
05-06-2007, 08:27 AM
I do feel bad for T-Mac. Dude just seems to be snakebitten in the playoffs. Still got several years left in the league to breakthrough provided he can keep his back healthy.

1Parker1
05-06-2007, 09:55 AM
29 points, 13 assists, and 5 rebounds. I'd say tMAC did all he could. Yao choked big time though.

Either way, Rockets weren't going anywhere with Rafer Alston as their starting PG and guys like Luther Head and Chuck Hayes as their "3rd and 4th offensive threats." :rolleyes

Rockets have the same problem as the Lakers and about 90% of the teams in the NBA; they don't have a decent PG running the show. If you don't have a good point guard, you're not going to win anything in this league, regardless of how many superstars you have on it. That's why the Cavs won't be going anywhere this year, that's why the Mavericks didn't go anywhere this year or last season, and why Miami lost this season. TmAC needs help, and Yao sucks.

SRJ
05-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Nothing says "I'm ignorant" quite like "Yao sucks".

Yao didn't choke last night and played a strong series. The problem is, simpletons believe in the following:

As height increases, so does basketball skill.

That's not how it works. Yao is a talented player, but flawed like most players. He struggles with defense and rebounding because of his size, not despite it. To rebound, size helps; but it's more important to react quickly and leave the floor quickly. That's why Dennis Rodman used to grab 15 rebounds a game - he was only 6'8", but he knew where the ball was going and his second and third jumps were unmatched. Lafayette Lever, at 6'3", used to grab 9 rebounds per game.

Yao can't do those things. He's slow. And why wouldn't he be? He's 7'5", 300 pounds. But what Yao can do is score 20-25 per night with very good percentages from the field and the FT line. If those things don't matter in basketball, what does?

The Genius
05-06-2007, 12:11 PM

Yao didn't choke last night and played a strong series. The problem is, simpletons believe in the following:

That's not how it works. Yao is a talented player, but flawed like most players. He struggles with defense and rebounding because of his size, not despite it. To rebound, size helps; but it's more important to react quickly and leave the floor quickly. That's why Dennis Rodman used to grab 15 rebounds a game - he was only 6'8", but he knew where the ball was going and his second and third jumps were unmatched. Lafayette Lever, at 6'3", used to grab 9 rebounds per game.

Yao can't do those things. He's slow. And why wouldn't he be? He's 7'5", 300 pounds. But what Yao can do is score 20-25 per night with very good percentages from the field and the FT line. If those things don't matter in basketball, what does?

Finally some intelligence in details rather than redundant posts. It's permissive to just think that maybe the 4/5th seed just beat the crap out of each other until the final game. Mac and Yao make up more than half of points scored every game, they have the offense run through them, they have the entire Jazz team eagle eye their every move, on the court and on tapes. They failed because of Jazz's bench manhandling the Rocket's bench. They couldn't help defend, they couldn't make plays outside of Mac.

dallasmavsnfuego214
05-06-2007, 12:50 PM
what if Dirk cried? :lol

BUMP
05-06-2007, 01:07 PM
basically T-Mac set himself up for this when he said "its on me if we lose" why even say that? just go out and play, that sets you up for failure and puts a lot more pressure on you. same with Dirk when he said "we lose game 4, and its pretty much over" then what happens when you lose. everyone questions your leadership. he put too much pressure on himself and the whole thing is silly if you look at the big picture

romsho
05-06-2007, 01:17 PM
If I was a Rockets fan, I would like knowing that McGrady wants to win that badly. Of course he is emotional about it, it was a bitter loss. I thought he played his ass off- he doesn't always play smart, but he does play hard. If he wants to get further in the playoffs, not allowing Rafer Alston to run the point would be a good place to start.

Behrooz24
05-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Anyone know where to find the complete vid? (w/the reporters at the end)

sribb43
05-06-2007, 06:11 PM
any team that starts chuck hayes at the 4 isnt going to get it done in the playoffs, T-Mac should go straight to the front office

florige
05-06-2007, 07:32 PM

EDIT:

Thats messed up. You can tell the guy really wants to win, he just can't seem to get over that hump yet. He'll get a ring somewhere eventually. :clap

DubMcDub
05-06-2007, 07:47 PM
:lol I wouldn't lump in Dirk with Tmac.

Dirk's elimination game performance is pretty hard to defend. Dirk didn't try, or at the very least didn't go down swinging, like Yao and Tmac did.

I wouldn't lump Dirk wtih Tmac either. Dirk has gotten out of the first round countless times.

But continue comparing them based on one single playoffs.

1Parker1
05-06-2007, 07:55 PM

I can't tell you the number of times this series I saw Yao go up for a soft layup only to have his shot blocked by AK47 or Boozer. At his size he should not be getting his shot blocked/altered so often.

1Parker1
05-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Anyways, back to the subject, ESPN keeps replaying that postgame video and it's really a shame. I think T MAC will eventually get out of the 1st round, Houston is a great team, but it was obvious they had a lot of missing holes. Even though Houston had arguably the best player in the series in TMac, the Jazz had the better team overall.

florige
05-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I can't tell you the number of times this series I saw Yao go up for a soft layup only to have his shot blocked by AK47 or Boozer. At his size he should not be getting his shot blocked/altered so often.

Really!! It wasn't Kerilenko, but it was Okur is it... Whoever was the primary guy playing him head up, Yao went up for a fadaway and main man blocked that shot so hard back at Yao. I was like you, he has no business getting his shots blocked that often by these shorter guys. I mean I know it happens, but at his size it happens way to much.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 08:04 PM
It's the coach's lack of adjustment to the D, if anything. There are ways around it. Besides, Duncan gets that same flak, because he gets stuffed several times by more aggressive 4's and 5's, and also has some stretches where he settles for a pussy lay up. You're just nitpicking a few bad plays on Yao's part. The dude gets his team 25-30 points and 10 rebounds for his team on any given day. He may not be up to his full potential, but he defnitely doesn't suck. I think if you compare him to how he started, he doesn't suck at all. He's only in a position to get better, with proper coaching. He's actually underused in his abilities.

1Parker1
05-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Yao is 7'5, Duncan is barely 7'0. There's a difference. Yao literally doesn't even have to jump to get a layup he's that close to the basket....

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Yao is 7'5, Duncan is barely 7'0. There's a difference. Yao literally doesn't even have to jump to get a layup he's that close to the basket....
True he doesn't have to jump. But you can't really use that height argument, because Shawn Bradley and Manute Bol should have been getting layups and dunks all game too .

Yao's just too lumbering to ever dominate with his height.

easjer
05-06-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm sorry, I watched the game (and several others of the series).

Yao didn't show up. He's shown a lot more at other times in the series, and this one, there was just a lot of passiveness. He settled for 3 ft jumpers when a little more effort would have been a dunk or a foul situation. He hoped to get calls that weren't forthcoming.

TMac tried to balance getting his team involved with making his own shots. He had defense in his face constantly. He appeared to do the best he could out there.

I thought JVG did what he could, but that team was one really good player, one above average player, one really good defensive player with streaky offense, and bubble gum and twine holding it together. I wasn't there to hear all the things JVG said to his team, but there is only so much you can tell your players and the rest is up to them. Houston's offense was terrible. They ran play after play and nothing would go in. Utah was hurting them on the boards or being offensively efficient.

Anyway, I feel quite badly for TMac, because over his time here in Houston, I've come to have a LOT of respect for him and what he tries to do. I will not be surprised if he asks for a trade or something. He's getting screwed. Of course, if Yao continues to be passive and sucky in big games, it won't matter much what else they put out there. A point guard who can also score would help a lot.

I felt quite badly for TMac watching that press conference. Like Dirk, I just wanted to give him a hug.

Axl Van Dam
05-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Dude just wanted to win and get to the 2nd round. I feel for the guy.. :(

SRJ
05-07-2007, 03:21 AM
I say again:

Yao getting his shot blocked has nothing to do with his height. It is because of his immense size that he moves so slowly that shorter players who move much quicker are able to elevate faster than he can.

Anyway, Yao's good for 20-25 points, 52-55% shooting, 8 rebounds, but none of that matters because he gets his shot blocked here and there?

Who would you rather have at center?

Erick Dampier?
Jason Collins?
Francisco Elson?
DeSagana Diop?
Andrew Bogut?
Rasho Nesterovic?
Jeff Foster?
Eddy Curry?
Kurt Thomas?
Andrew Bynum?
Chris Kaman?
Andris Beidrins?
Zydrunas Ilgauskas?
Nazr Mohammed?
Tyson Chandler?
Samuel Dalembert?
Darko Milicic?
Brendan Haywood?

Please. The only guys who you might - and for emphasis, I repeat the word might - want to take instead of Yao are Ben Wallace, Marcus Camby, Shaquille O'Neal, and Mehmet Okur.

Ben Wallace's best is behind him.

Camby is actually the negative image of Yao: great on defense, irrelevant on offense. You'd get the Bizarro Yao, in Camby's case. And he's a good deal older than Yao.

O'Neal is still a great player, but he's near the end.

Okur is an interesting player and I like his game - but I'd rather have Yao.

People really get hung up about a player's single weakness instead of the many things he can do well. It's interesting to me.

Yao could have played better in the series - 44% shooting (career 52%) and 4+ TO per game, but on the other hand, he averaged 25 and 10. In a seven-game series. The margin of the deciding game was four points.

Another notable All-Star post player averaged 20.6 points per game on 42% shooting during a seven-game series two seasons ago. The margin of the deciding game was seven points. Does Tim Duncan suck, too?

L.I.T
05-07-2007, 04:05 AM
Yao is a great player in his own right. He brings a lot of positives to the game and excels in what he can do; but he is a limited player. As everyone has mentioned, he's slow, plodding and has difficulty tracking down long rebounds (a problem that was very apparent at the end of the game).

But he has always had these flaws, it's no big surprise. However, on the balance he's a player that positively affects a team much more than negatively.

I fault the Houston front-office for not properly identifying his weaknesses and bringing in players that can cover for him. Notice, Shaq has similar deficiencies, which is why the teams he's been on have always had a mobile, rebounding and decent shot-blocking power forward backing him up. Yao has been saddled with Hayes and Howard; not exactly what you're looking for in a front court partner.

Between Mcgrady, Yao and Battier, Houston has some players to build around. They just need to completely revamp the supporting cast.

Islymore
05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
I watched the clip on NBA.com and I felt bad for the guy... He did cry. He shed a tear or two... and I felt bad for the guy bc I wanted to see him make it outta the first round.

Plus - he cant do it all by himself and I fear he might have this issue for a while...

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Houston's FO baffles me. On the one hand is the high risk shots they took with little reward. Stromile Swift was brought in to be the athletic PF that so many teams have nowadays and wound up chained to the bench. Bonzi Wells was going to be a power guard that gave mismatch issues and instead fell flat. And I can't make heads or tails of getting Rafer Alston as a PG in Van Gundy's system.

At the same time, they also pulled some pretty big good deals in the last few years. They turned Steve Francis and Cutino Mobley into T-Mac, and managed to unload Swift's sorry ass for Battier at the cost of only one draft pick. So there is hope yet for McGrady and I'm sure in coming weeks it will be all over Houston sports reports that the Rockets are working the phones and close to making all sorts of deals. At least for his sake I hope so because the bench as it is ain't going to be enough to get out of the first round if the West stays this stacked.

angel_luv
05-07-2007, 04:34 PM
McGrady seems like a decent guy and one I would definitely consider putting on my team should I own one.

I lived a very unhappy nine months in Houston and to this day can't bring myself to really root for any Houston teams, just because of the association.
It doesn't help the Rocket's case with me that I was at the game when McGrady went off and scored 13 point in 30 seconds ( or whatever it was) on the Spurs.
That game was my Christmans present- not so merry :lol

mabber
05-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I say again:

Yao getting his shot blocked has nothing to do with his height. It is because of his immense size that he moves so slowly that shorter players who move much quicker are able to elevate faster than he can.

Anyway, Yao's good for 20-25 points, 52-55% shooting, 8 rebounds, but none of that matters because he gets his shot blocked here and there?

Who would you rather have at center?

Erick Dampier?
Jason Collins?
Francisco Elson?
DeSagana Diop?
Andrew Bogut?
Rasho Nesterovic?
Jeff Foster?
Eddy Curry?
Kurt Thomas?
Andrew Bynum?
Chris Kaman?
Andris Beidrins?
Zydrunas Ilgauskas?
Nazr Mohammed?
Tyson Chandler?
Samuel Dalembert?
Darko Milicic?
Brendan Haywood?

Please. The only guys who you might - and for emphasis, I repeat the word might - want to take instead of Yao are Ben Wallace, Marcus Camby, Shaquille O'Neal, and Mehmet Okur.

Ben Wallace's best is behind him.

Camby is actually the negative image of Yao: great on defense, irrelevant on offense. You'd get the Bizarro Yao, in Camby's case. And he's a good deal older than Yao.

O'Neal is still a great player, but he's near the end.

Okur is an interesting player and I like his game - but I'd rather have Yao.

People really get hung up about a player's single weakness instead of the many things he can do well. It's interesting to me.

Yao could have played better in the series - 44% shooting (career 52%) and 4+ TO per game, but on the other hand, he averaged 25 and 10. In a seven-game series. The margin of the deciding game was four points.

Another notable All-Star post player averaged 20.6 points per game on 42% shooting during a seven-game series two seasons ago. The margin of the deciding game was seven points. Does Tim Duncan suck, too?

Good post!

Also, I read on here some people dissing Dirk for choking. While Dirk had a bad series and a terrible game 6 he's been about as clutch as you can be in all the game 7's he's been in during his career. Last year vs. the Spurs, the prior year vs. Houston (good game in blow out), the year prior to that vs. Portland (had a really good game). Just a little information about Dirk before everyone goes judging him based solely on the finals last year and this year's playoff series.

SpursDynasty
05-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Tracy McGrady sucks. The funniest thing I read on this forum about McGrady was "Tracy McGrady is just Vince Carter with a good attitude". :lol

The media expects too much of some teams these days, and that's why there's all of these so-called "disappointments". It's unrealistic to advertise the Mavs as the favorites for the championship this year when they've only got one weapon on the team. It's too much pressure to repeat constantly "Tracy McGrady said if his team loses this series, it'll be all on him".

Media pressure = failure for teams. I mean, when was the last time the "Media favorite to win the championship" won? Probably 2002.

Jayem
05-07-2007, 08:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/LADIESLUVE412/n203100315_30076523_6756.jpg