PDA

View Full Version : Camby let's get him

thekingrobert
05-06-2007, 02:43 AM
Barry and Elson for Camby they are not gonna keep him they get a good 3 point shooter we get more D

gospursgooo
05-06-2007, 03:13 AM
Camby has too many tattoos; not suitable to be a Spur!

DampierAmGod
05-06-2007, 03:16 AM
Why would Denver trade away the DPOTY?

They get KMart back next year and just need a couple better bench players and they are set.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-06-2007, 03:21 AM
Why would Denver trade away the DPOTY?

They get KMart back next year and just need a couple better bench players and they are set.
The Nuggets might consider getting rid of him for cap relief. I forgot where I read that though.

thekingrobert
05-06-2007, 03:38 AM
you're right sixth man between nene, AI, melo and camby thats too much money he will make 9 mil next year and he'll be 33 nice fit for us IMO

THE SIXTH MAN
05-06-2007, 03:43 AM
I think he has 3 years left on his contract. I wonder how much he'll have left in the tank? Not that age has ever stopped the Spurs before though.

Man of Steel
05-06-2007, 03:48 AM
THat would be fine with me.

Denver won't be able to keep Camby and I guess he is tired of getting his ass handed to him in the playoffs by Tim Duncan.

yavozerb
05-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Beno,Butler,Barry for Camby and Smith....defense, that is all we need from camby is defense. I thought I would throw smith in their cause nugs would probably trade him for simply beno at this point..

siopaoboi
05-06-2007, 08:33 AM
what happens next year to camby will decide whether the nuggs FO would be willing to pay. i hope we keep him, and if we trade him, that means that they will be risking in Kmart's health and projected performance.

out of the nuggs core, only blake is a FA, hopefully we add a pure shooter and retain the core.

exstatic
05-06-2007, 08:49 AM
There's a reason his nickname is Cotton Camby. Over his 11 year career, he has played in a grand total of 616 regular season games. For the math impaired, that's 56 out of 82 games per year. Combine that with his age (33), his $10M/yr contract, and the fact that this is about the point where players lose their speed and springs, and you have a recipe for cap disaster.

yavozerb
05-06-2007, 09:25 AM
There's a reason his nickname is Cotton Camby. Over his 11 year career, he has played in a grand total of 616 regular season games. For the math impaired, that's 56 out of 82 games per year. Combine that with his age (33), his $10M/yr contract, and the fact that this is about the point where players lose their speed and springs, and you have a recipe for cap disaster.

I will agree camby can be injury prone, but he has started 66 games over the last 4 years (Not great, but not as bad as 56) and he is making 7 million (not 10 million) with 3 yrs left. I am not huge camby supporter but the guy can play defense.. I will not be sad if the spurs do not acquire him but an interior defense of camby and duncan with bowen on the outside would be scary!!

ducks
05-06-2007, 09:26 AM
I see suns offering kurt thomas for him
he would offer some cap releif once his contract ran out

ducks
05-06-2007, 09:26 AM
does he not have one year left not 3?

yavozerb
05-06-2007, 09:32 AM
according to hoopshype he has contract until 2010 season..

exstatic
05-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Patricia's site lists his contract as $57M/6 years. Not quite 10M, yet, but MUCH more than 7M. As for the 66 game average at Denver? That's the fewest games that Tim ever played, and people said he was breaking down. :lol That 66 game average also included one year of 29 games played, Camby's second season of that few games played in his career. It's also bad to gamble on a player approaching his mid 30s who's game is almost completely predicated on his athleticism, even without the injuries. That's the age when your speed and springs go away. Camby with reduced vertical is just an injury prone foul machine.

yavozerb
05-06-2007, 09:56 AM
8 million 2007/2008
8 million 2008/2009
7.65 million 2009/2010
So yes you are correct slightly higher than 7 million. He is very comprable to ben wallace in what he does on defense and the boards but makes half the $. To say his skills are going to simple suddenly fall because he is 33 is foolish. Again,I am not sure I would want to spend this much money on him but is interior presence would help duncan alot on defense and rebounding.

exstatic
05-06-2007, 11:36 AM
8 million 2007/2008
8 million 2008/2009
7.65 million 2009/2010
So yes you are correct slightly higher than 7 million. He is very comprable to ben wallace in what he does on defense and the boards but makes half the $. To say his skills are going to simple suddenly fall because he is 33 is foolish. Again,I am not sure I would want to spend this much money on him but is interior presence would help duncan alot on defense and rebounding.
Uh, not it's not. That pretty much happens to everyone at that age. It usually shows itself more in guards, but big men like Camby, Howard, and Amare will show noticeable drop offs at that age. Book it.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Actually, the question isn't whether his skills will fall off, but if he can ever spend an entire season healthy again. He's not known for his durability.

exstatic
05-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Actually, the question is both.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Actually, the question is both.
Since there are a ton of guys over 33 who are still doing it, and rebounding/blocks guys last about as long as anyone, I have to disagree.

conqueso
05-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Patricia's site lists his contract as $57M/6 years. Not quite 10M, yet, but MUCH more than 7M. As for the 66 game average at Denver? That's the fewest games that Tim ever played, and people said he was breaking down. :lol That 66 game average also included one year of 29 games played, Camby's second season of that few games played in his career. It's also bad to gamble on a player approaching his mid 30s who's game is almost completely predicated on his athleticism, even without the injuries. That's the age when your speed and springs go away. Camby with reduced vertical is just an injury prone foul machine.

DRob at 32 (Duncan's rookie year):
33.7 mpg - 21.6 ppg - 10.6 rpg - 2.6 bpg

DRob at 33 (Robinson passes the offensive torch, wins title):
31.7 mpg - 15.8 ppg - 10.0 rpg - 2.4 bpg

DRob at 34:
31.9 mpg - 17.8 ppg - 9.6 rpg - 2.3 bpg

DRob at 35:
29.6 mpg - 14.4 ppg - 8.6 rpg - 2.5 bpg

DRob at 36:
29.5 mpg - 12.2 ppg - 8.3 rpg - 1.8 bpg

DRob at 37 (retires, wins title):
26.2 mpg - 8.5 ppg - 7.9 rpg - 1.7 bpg

It looks to me just from the raw numbers that DRob didn't start to wear down and loose his speed and springs until he turned 35. I also think that his effective career was shortened dramatically (maybe a season or two) by the back injury he sustained in '96 that haunted him the rest of his career. Notice that his bpg numbers are still nasty even at 35.

Now, I agree that Camby is not a good long term option. He's only reliable for about 60 per year, he makes too much money, and the injuries have been piling up. I don't even think we should pretend to try to score him. Smith, on the other hand, that's another matter. I think Pop could mold him into a Bowen replacement, just like he took Sjax' tortured soul and turned him into a winner. Plus, they're going to be looking to move him since he tanked so hard in the Spurs series...we might be able to get him for Beno straight up...the salaries match

exstatic
05-06-2007, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't mind Smith as bench scoring punch, but to even mention his no defense boomberah ass in the same sentence with Bowen is a travesty. I think his best case is maybe bringing him up to Barry level defense: someone who can stay on the court and not embarrass too many bigs by letting them get dunked all over when their man blows by them.

conqueso
05-06-2007, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't mind Smith as bench scoring punch, but to even mention his no defense boomberah ass in the same sentence with Bowen is a travesty. I think his best case is maybe bringing him up to Barry level defense: someone who can stay on the court and not embarrass too many bigs by letting them get dunked all over when their man blows by them.

Yeah, sorry, I meant Manu, don't know why I typed Bowen. Since Smith is 8 years younger than Manu, he could be groomed to be a long term replacement and I think he would be a good bench scorer and might learn a little defense if he stays with the Spurs for awhile. He's a pretty nasty three point shooter (2.4 makes per game) and a respectable ball handler, so he'd be like a younger version of Brent Barry.

exstatic
05-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Smith would probably shoot 42-43% in this offense with the looks he'd get.