PDA

View Full Version : Why the Spurs miss Stephen Jackson

SenorSpur
05-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Wanna know why the Spurs should miss Stephen Jackson, even if they say they don't? Observe this article and the comments from Kevin Willis below.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/ksherrington/stories/050607dnsposherrington.369cf79.html

Kevin Sherrington is a sports columnist for The Dallas Morning News.

Mavericks could use a few gamers

12:16 AM CDT on Sunday, May 6, 2007

Summer vacation comes unexpectedly for the Mavs, who already have plans.

Jason Terry expects another addition to the family. Gana Diop hits the weights and tries to add a low-post game.

Devin Harris looks for a jump shot. Still.

Jerry Stackhouse looks for a job.

Dirk Nowitzki waits to hear if he's the MVP, and prays he won't have to show up to accept it.

Avery Johnson? He's not saying exactly, but it isn't hard to guess, either.

He's pressing his owner to find some new players. Athletic, edgy, mentally tough players.

Players like the ones that just whipped his guys, who played softer than the ManiAACs.

"We've got to take a hard look at this roster, especially as it relates to matching up against teams like Golden State," Johnson said. "If we meet them again in the playoffs or the regular season, we've got to have more confidence than what I saw in our team."

Maybe this seems like an overreaction to you. Doesn't the regular season mean anything?

Can't we all just get along without the playoffs?

As odd as it seems in a town where there isn't a lot of laundry hanging from arena rafters, no, we can't.

No one understands the fickle nature of consumers better than Mark Cuban. Still, he says he won't let his head coach talk him into blowing up the team like he did in 2003.

Maybe it was just a shot at Don Nelson. You also hear how hard it would be to churn the Mavs' roster.

They're tied up in so many long-term deals, they'd need a machete to hack their way out.

Unless it comes to Steve Nash, anyway.

Bottom line: Cuban needs to listen to his coach, because Johnson knows what he's talking about.

Maybe that's not what you want to hear, either. Maybe you're not so wild about Johnson. His small lineup in Game 1 didn't bother me as much as his counterpunches. He never figured out how to find a comfort zone for Nowitzki. He double-teamed Baron Davis too late. He should have gone with Diop sooner.

And while we're at it, he needs to stop talking about what he did as a point guard.

You're a coach now, Avery. A father, too. You know how kids don't want to hear how tough you had it, walking five miles to school and fending off wild animals along the way. Players are like kids. They tune you out if you don't have something relevant about what's happening right now, much less what you did 10 years ago.

Even if you have a point, it doesn't matter. And Johnson has an excellent point.

He says he's surprised to hear so many of his players admit they lost their confidence. He doesn't get it. But he knows it's not something you can teach.

Kevin Willis credits an edgy, athletic teammate in San Antonio for much of the Spurs' success.

A guy named Stephen Jackson.

Tough guys don't necessarily have to be hotheads. Only Stackhouse brings the quality in Dallas, and he's on his last legs.

A cold-blooded, gimme-the-ball or get-out-of-my-way quality needs to come from somewhere in the eight-man rotation. Neither Nowitzki nor Josh Howard has it. And that's one of the reasons they make such good teammates.

Unfortunately, good citizenship doesn't get you any points on a basketball court.

Comments out of the Bay Area indicated that Nowitzki was actually scared of Jackson.

Unnerved, is more like it.

Maybe you remember Nowitzki's pitiful comment after Game 1, when he said the Warriors were "jumping around like madmen."

Hey, Dirk: Get used to it, because this is where the NBA is going.

Phoenix plays with even better athletes. If you're trying to build a better basketball team, which model do you use?

The Mavericks, with the only 7-foot 3-point shooter in captivity?

Or the Warriors and Suns, who rely on great point guards and a bunch of gamers?

Consider TNT analyst Steve Kerr's comments. He asked how Rockets center Yao Ming would handle the Warriors if they met in the second round.

The Rockets have the NBA's best center, and he'll be a liability?

Only when he's not surrounded by tough, athletic players. Nowitzki isn't, and that's why summer's already here.

Churning the roster bottom won't fix the problem. Bring in a true point guard who can get Nowitzki the ball where he wants it. Add an athletic gamer to come off the bench. A personality transplant wouldn't hurt, either

Marcus Bryant
05-06-2007, 10:04 AM
A minor point...Jack was a huge part of the Spurs' success in '03. But otherwise the article lays out why retaining Jack would've been huge for the Spurs.

L.I.T
05-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Good god, the Dallas media still doesn't get it, they still don't understand what it takes to be a championship team.

It's actually moving out of comical into pitiful.

Oh right, and per part of the article pertaining to the Spurs, they act as if it's revelatory that you need players who will step up, take and make the big shot.

Wow...I'm so surprised that winning a championship means you have to hit clutch shots along the way and make other teams fear you.

GrandeDavid
05-06-2007, 10:07 AM
The Spurs did just fine in 2005 without Stephen Jackson. He's streaky, and he's been on fire lately. We'll see if he can hold his game at this high level throughout the semifinals and, perhaps, the conference finals or beyond. I like the guy, appreciated his service, but don't really care to look back. The page has been turned and I like this Spurs team just fine. On the coulda shoulda woulda note, I sure with we hadn't traded Leandro Barbosa in retrospect.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Hopefully we can resign him and pay him max contracts

ChumpDumper
05-06-2007, 01:35 PM
He should write an article about how spurfans can't get let it go.
Bring in a true point guard who can get Nowitzki the ball where he wants it.At the arc where he can shoot a fadeaway over a guy half a foot shorter than him.

TDMVPDPOY
05-06-2007, 01:40 PM
steph is the only guy who makes love to pressure

Streakyshooter08
05-06-2007, 01:53 PM
BTW: What is Jacks contract status?

Extra Stout
05-06-2007, 01:58 PM
I seem to remember the Mavs used to have an elite point guard who could get Nowitzki the ball where he wanted it.

That didn't work either.

Look, if your superstar is so gutless that a street-hardened streaky gamer like Jackson makes his sphincter clench, roster moves aren't going to fix the problem.

Either Nowitzki is going to have to shake his Euro-softness, or the Mavs have to hope they get as lucky as the Spurs did, and somehow win the lottery to draft a player even better than the existing superstar, and who can handle the pressure.

ChumpDumper
05-06-2007, 01:59 PM
BTW: What is Jacks contract status?His status is not a Spur, never going to be a Spur.

Streakyshooter08
05-06-2007, 02:05 PM
His status is not a Spur, never going to be a Spur.

I know I just wanted to know when he is gonna be a free agent.

ChumpDumper
05-06-2007, 02:08 PM

rocyaice
05-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Spurs will win a championship and guys will still be crying over the loss of Stephen Jackson. He's someone else's problem. Another guard will come through and you guys will fall in love with him. Trust me. He's the Warriors problem now.

bigfan
05-06-2007, 07:55 PM
He's just one strip club shootout away from being cut.

mikejones99
05-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Rich people don't usually go to jail.

Lonestar
05-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm just waiting for somebody to chime in with the classic "We need to re-sign Malik Rose" take.

mikejones99
05-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Where was Rasho in the NJ series????

wildbill2u
05-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Jax was so relieved that his trial in Indiana was put off that he forgot to show up for the game tonight.

S. Jackson 46 4-18 2-10 8-10 1 3 1 2 2 0 4 18

Now that's making love to pressure!